PDA

View Full Version : Hello!! New here and have some ???'s

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

coachwife
Fri, Aug-09-02, 11:39
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post in this area. I have been doing CAD for almost a week and feel really good so far (but have a long way to go... one day at a time!) I have done PP in the past but CAD is much easier for me, especially because of the RM. Also I don't feel like I need to sneak food (such as hershey kisses... a weakness for me!) during the day because I can, without guilt, have a treat at night if I want. It's funny too, becuase now that I am allowed, within reason, to have a dessert of chocolate if I want with my RW, it doesn't seem soo tempting!! I'm so crazy!! :roll:

Anyway I was hoping some of you more experienced people can give me some tips.... my first is regarding the terrible taste I have in my mouth. Now, on one hand I don't mind it because I know that means things are working the way they should, but it is really yucky!! Some people say gum is okay, some say no... what are your thoughts on this. I am asking more for the benefit of my students and other people I work with!! :p

My second question is how do you all handle bbq's. My husband and I are going to a party tomorrow around 1. I usuually eat my RM at dinner. I was thinking I would keep that plan and then eat at the BBQ around 5. But two things with this concern me... First sitting there with all that food from 1 until 5 will be tough. Second I don't normally eat dinner until around 7, if I eat at 5 I am afraid I'll have a terrible case of the munchies around bedtime!!

Also... it's a party and the beer's going to be flowing... I think that might be the hardest part.

I am commited to do this and I know I can get through it. I am in the right frame of mind to do so. I am just wondering if you all have any tips or strategies you use for these situations!!

Thanks so much for your help!! I am looking forward to getting to know you all better!!

Snowite69
Fri, Aug-09-02, 20:51
Hi I have been on CAD for a month now and have lost 15 pounds so far. I love it.
As far as the gum goes in the CAD book it doesnt really say anything about it but I am now reading the CALP book and in it the Hellers say not to chew gum even if it is sugar free since your body will still know that it is sweet and will release insulin anyways. I just don't chew it. They say that if anything is sweet at all don't eat it (unless during your RM)so I don't even drink diet pop or unsweetened drinks either just to be safe.

About the bbq, do you think everyone will eat at 5 exactly. Try to put it off as far as you can. I too try to have my reward meal as late as I can to make sure I don't get the latenight cravings.

Once in a while I go out on the weekends and I have a couple of drinks. It just depends. If I think I will be really deprived I am going to have them but usually I can just go out and drink water. You just have to decide what is good for you. Luckily when I did I didnt see an increase on the scale the next day... LUCKY.

Good Luck

Tracey