PDA

View Full Version : A Newbie's Silly Question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SKYWALKER
Thu, Feb-28-02, 17:58
Hello everyone!

Having just joined this forum and commenced my Atkins Induction phase a few days ago I'm at a loss to comprehend why I can consume cream by the jugful, yet milk is considered a no-no. I simply cannot drink tea without it and haven't managed to go without yet.

And talking about tea - why is caffeine so bad?

The weight has started to come off despite these minor indulgences!

Skywalker

Oldsalty
Thu, Feb-28-02, 19:50
I just refered to my copy of the Atkins Age Defying Diet Revolution. In page 265 he says that the lactose in milk is the problem, it is a simple sugar. He goes on to say that a limit of one cup of milk per day is ok. From my experience, one cup of milk should equate to a dozen cups of tea.......Given the fact that this "one cup" of milk would then be spread over several hours of the day I would not think that it would create a problem.
I am assuming that you are not lactose intolerant of course.
This view seems to be held by Dr Bernstein also, he says that two spoons of milk in your coffee is not a problem.

I also assume that you do not put sugar in your tea.........

I wish you every success

SKYWALKER
Thu, Feb-28-02, 20:03
Thank you Oldsalty for that! I feel sure my 3 cups of tea (with milk and no sugar!) aren't likely to be my downfall, but all the same it's nice to have the answers.

Hey - they were some real mean Olympics buddy!!!

Skywalker

fiona
Fri, Mar-01-02, 01:56
A friend of mine is lactose intolerant - gives her almost instant diarhea.

She can have cream from time to time without a problem yet milk affects her.
Take care.

LittleAnne
Mon, Mar-04-02, 07:53
Skywalker

You also asked about caffeine in your post. From what I have read the caffeine stimulates insulin production something low carbing is trying to minimise. However, if you only have three cups of tea a day then there can not be a problem. Caffeine only becomes a problem when you are addicted to coffee etc.

Glad things are going well so far. Keep us posted.

Banana
Sun, Mar-10-02, 15:35
Hi there,

This is my first time writing, although I've been avidly reading for quite a few days now. No one seemed to answer the initial question about how come we can have jugs of cream but not milk. Is there a limit to how much cream we can have? I must say it's better in coffee then milk!

I also read somewhere that calories count, is this true, 'cause if it is that's probably why I'm not loosing weight so fast, as I love my chicken and steaks finished with a little soy sauce and creme fraiche. Help! have I misunderstood Dr Atkins saying we can eat as much fat as we like?

fiona
Sun, Mar-10-02, 17:01
You need to consume about 10-12 times your body weight in calories. Yes I would say there is a limit but it is a fairly high limit, compared to Low-fat diets most of which restrict it totally.

You could use fitday.com to calculate your daily intake.

Take care.

Banana
Mon, Mar-11-02, 01:36
Thanks for that Fiona. I suppose you can't have it all your own way with food. 12 times my current weight would equal 1700 calories. I just don't want to have to measure everything all the time. I've got another question but I'll start a new thread.

This is fun!