PDA

View Full Version : Found Whey Protein Powder

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bez
Mon, Nov-05-01, 17:10
Today I found a supply of whey protein powder in a sports shop but it was quite expensive £30 for a large tub and it was called Proma - in JJB Sp---s.

It comes in 4 different flavours Vanilla, Chocolate, Banana and Strawberry and only has 2. something carbs per 30g serving although I don't know how much you would need for a day's supply.

All the ingredients seemed fine except for one ingredient I didn't know, and if I remember rightly it was called caterain or something like that...does anyone know of this and/or has anyone tried it and if so, what is it like and how much would you need for a day's intake and is the one unknown ingredient safe.

When I have more time I will go in armed with a pencil and paper get the correct ingredients but if anyone else has the time and they fancy a treck to a sports shop that would be much appreciated.

I hope this is of help to someone and if anyone finds or knows anything else about this Protein Powder will they please let me know.

Thanks

Bez

fiona
Tue, Nov-06-01, 15:49
{I remember rightly it was called caterain or something like that...does anyone know of this }
Looking through my notes I found a note on Cartinine. Could this be what you saw?

Carnitine, the fat burner
While it is quite true that our bodies make this amino acid, rarely do we have enough to keep us at our healthiest.The heart is completely dependent upon carnitine; two thirds of its energy supply comes from the fats that carnitine allows the body to burn. The release of fat for use as fuel also makes this nutrient an important adjunct to any weight-loss or exercise efforts.

I have not tried Promo. Most of the Protein Whey's I have looked at are approx 2.5g carbs/scoop. £30 is very expensive: I could do a whole week's FOOD protein shopping with that.

Not sure if that is of any help.
Take care Bez

Bez
Wed, Nov-07-01, 10:45
Thanks Fiona,

Could you tell me what you use, I've had trouble finding things, I work full time and I don't get too much time to go to the shops and as UK LC food is quite difficult to find I'd appreciate any advice on powders and Soya's etc.

Thanks again,

Bez

cheeks
Wed, Nov-07-01, 13:52
I have found it for £11.99 in a local health food store. Holland and Barnet also sell it.

Good luck

bethie
Thu, Nov-08-01, 07:50
Don't know about whey powder, but Holland & Barrett sell a big tub of soy protein isolate for £9-99. I use it in my morning breakfast shake and have also used it fairly successfully to make muffins. They do a chocolate version as well - I think that's £1 more. The plain version has NO CARBS!

I'll be getting the choc version this weekend and will report on the details of that then if you like.

Bez
Fri, Nov-09-01, 04:28
Thanks all, I'm going to have a good look around town in all the health shops tomorrow.

Bez

:wave:

fiona
Fri, Nov-09-01, 19:39
I don't like the taste of the Protein Isolate. But I mix it with the Protein Whey, which I am now beginning to find too sweet - for someone with a sweet tooth that is saying something!

JoH
Mon, Nov-12-01, 17:12
Hi :wave: My UK LC friends

I wonder if you can help me with this protein stuff. I travel a lot on the road, so don't have much time to get on the eggs and bacon programme.

So today I went to H&B to check out this protein stuff. The only stuff I found was choc protein powder £10 - it says mix with milk. Cos we can't have milk, do you think it would be OK if I mixed it with water and gave it a shot of cream.

This stuff is very low in carbs - that isn't the problem - I just know its going to make me gag! Not a good way to start the day.

Any tips on this would be great.

Thanks
:spin: Jo :spin:

(my head is spinning with all this!)

fiona
Tue, Nov-13-01, 01:27
Milk gives me the runs - lactose intolerance or something like that.

I mix protein whey with a tablespoon of cream and add a bit of water if it is too thick. I prefer it spoonable quality rather than drinkable liquid.

Try crushing a couple (well ... 4-5) of ripe strawberries with a fork, add some sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds (crunch factor!), a scoop of protein whey, half a teaspoon of wheatgerm (very high in protein) and liquid (in the form of water/cream or coconut milk) to mix it with ...... ummmmmm yummy. Just got an idea: why not make the liquid a little tablespoonful of wine to make it extra special for Christmas!

Sometimes I add a little bit of ginger powder to give it a different flavour. And some protein isolate so I don't get the taste of that -I still haven't got used to that.

Just experiment. Afterall it goes into the same mixer once it goes through your mouth - why not get the pleasure of the different tastes in your mouth first.

Take care. Life is for Fun - Enjoy!

JoH
Tue, Nov-13-01, 05:47
Hi Fiona,

Thanks for that.

Great advice. I like the idea of adding ginger to the shake. May take away the taste of the protein isolate. Do I need to buy some whey powder as well then or I am really losing the plot??

My first shake will be in the morning as I have to be out on the road at 6.45 (unearthly hour!!).

I'll let you know how I go on.

Thx

:wave: Jo x

bethie
Tue, Nov-13-01, 07:43
Well I bought the Holland & Barrett choc soy powder - yuck! Way too much sweetener and not enough choc flavour. In future I'll stick to the plain.

I have no probs with soy isolate as long as I use it with something that has a strong flavour of its own. I use coffee, soya milk (Provamel in the red carton has 0.6 carbs per 100ml), water, ice, a sweetener and 1 scoop of soy isolate to make a shake in my blender. I have this for breakfast - it's like a thick iced latte - and it keeps me going all morning. Totals for the mix I make are 28gms protein, 0.6 carbs and 145 cals.

Now I must be off - I've got to write to Blue Peter to see what I can make with 750 gms choc soy powder ................... :daze:

Bethie

Ken
Tue, Nov-13-01, 10:50
Hi Bethie :wave:

Quote "Now I must be off - I've got to write to Blue Peter to see what I can make with 750 gms choc soy powder"

Do they still do 'makes' on Blue Peter or are you showing your age ;)

Keep smiling :daze:
Ken

Bez
Tue, Nov-13-01, 14:42
Hi all,

Just to say that I bought Soya Prtein Isolate and is only £4.99 at H& B at the moment but it doesn't taste very good on it's own and I tried to make cakes with it and they were evil!!!...I'm no cook mind you.

But I do add it to the protein shake mix like Fiona does and I bought a strawberry one which tastes a bit like weak yogurt when added to water.

Bethie, you said:

I use coffee, soya milk (Provamel in the red carton has 0.6 carbs per 100ml),

What does the soya milk taste like, I saw it in H& B and wasn't to sure about it but I didn't see a coffee one or did you add the coffee yourself?

We should give out a Blue Peter Badge to anyone with a decent suggestion for Soya protein Isolate?!

Bez

:spin: :wave:

Ken
Tue, Nov-13-01, 18:03
Hi Bez

Quote: "We should give out a Blue Peter Badge to anyone with a decent suggestion for Soya protein Isolate?! "

Anybody with any suggestions please feel free to cut out and wear the badge below ;)

http://members.tripod.co.uk/St_Andrews_BH/website/blue_badge.gif

Keep smiling :daze:
Ken

fiona
Tue, Nov-13-01, 18:37
My soya protein isolate looks like it will last forever at the rate I am using it ... but I'll have the badge thank you, Ken.

;)
Take care

bethie
Wed, Nov-14-01, 08:16
Bez

You can't use soy milk as a one for one swap for real milk in all cases but there are some situations where it does do a good job as a substitute.

The shake I make is:

1 tspn instant coffee (heaped)
1/2 cup soy milk (120ml)
1/2 cup water
1 scoop protein powder (28gms)
sweetener to taste
2 or 3 ice cubes - adds froth, plus the drink is better cold

Mix everything in a blender - works OK in a shaker but that won't
crush the ice or give a good frothy top.

I had to experiment with the proportions of all the ingredients but now the above works fine for me. If you like iced coffee you might like it - if you can't stand cold coffee keep away from it!

Don't try to use soy milk in coffee - it "curdles". But you can use it if you're making crustless quiche or in any baked recipe that normally uses milk. The carb savings are so good - providing you get a low carb brand - that I found it was worth experimenting to get a good result. I think that's one of the secrets of this WOL - experimentation.

Provamel (red) is the lowest carb version I've found - you can get a 1/2 litre carton for about 55p at any supermarket so it doesn't cost much to have a "play" with it.

All the best

Bethie - aka the mad (food) scientist :daze:

Bez
Wed, Nov-14-01, 13:56
Hi Ken and Bethie and everyone,

Ken, where did that come from, it's great I haven't seen one for years and it brings back so many memories. I used to want one so much and was really jealous if somebody I knew of got one...it's amazing what we can find if we look hard enough.

and..

Bethie, you haven't seen my experiments, I can assure you they're not worth passing on?!!!...thanks a bundle for your coffee milk shake, I like the coffee taste so hopefully it will be fine and I haven't looked for it in Supermarkets so that's another bonus...thanks!

Hello to Jo, I hope the choc shake is ok, they do take some getting used to but if you put it in a flask and sip it throughout the day that may help and I've found that the weaker it is the better for me, the strawberry one is quite nice, not great but ok to cope with.

Anyway all, speak soon and see those of you on Saturday that are going.

Bez

:wave: :wave:

Harley
Mon, Dec-17-01, 05:18
Hi
You mention protein isolate and protein whey powder.
What are they?
What can I do with them?
Why include them in my diet?
Are they worth the high price? (I dont live in UK)
Is it the body builders stuff?

The shake sound good

Bye and take care

Harley

madpiano
Thu, Jan-03-02, 18:39
Hello

I have similar questions:

What do I need this kind of stuff for ???

shaz
Mon, Jan-21-02, 17:30
I don't understand about the protein and whey powders. How do they fit into the diet and are they used in cakes etc instead of flour?

Would appreciate someone filling me in on how to use them, and if they are worth using.
Thanks
Shaz