PDA

View Full Version : oil of oregano helps stall

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

2brickie
Thu, Feb-19-04, 10:26
just wanted to let you all know, i have reached 125 pounds today 2 pounds from my goal, and it has all started moving again since i started taking one oil of oregano capsule. my mom was told at curves that this helps with stomach bloat and gets rid of toxic build ups, and it fights off infections, so i thought lets give it a try. i tried it, first thing that happened was i didnt sleep, found out you must take it in the morning not at night, then had some neon green P** for about 3 days and after that wow in 2 weeks i have lost 8 pounds, without changing much, just added the oil of oregano capsule. i bought mine at fred meyers in the health section 11 dollars a bottle. 50 mg oregano oil, 25 flaxseed oil. maybe it can help others

rose7
Thu, Feb-19-04, 10:37
Hi 2brickie, :p
Does this really help with bloat and toxic build-ups? I have mild IBS and have my share of digestive problems. I'd try anything that cleanses the toxic build-ups. Does it cause constipation/diarrhea or anything like that? Thanks! :)

Birddog
Thu, Feb-19-04, 10:50
It may be worth a try.....Thanks

2brickie
Thu, Feb-19-04, 11:06
it has worked for me, im not a doctor but i havent had any problems with it, actually this way of life has helped my ibs. i havent had any problems for about 3 months. it is all natural no additives so i thought i would try it along with my mom and she has had great luck with it too.

patigayle
Thu, Feb-19-04, 11:40
Congratulations on breaking that stall !!!
pati

sixpence
Thu, Feb-19-04, 12:21
Did it help you lose inches too? Do your clothes feel looser?

scorpio381
Thu, Feb-19-04, 13:30
Woo Hoo, Sixpence! Go Pacers! Bummer about Artest.

I'm definitely going to have to hunt me down some oil of oregano!!

sixpence
Thu, Feb-19-04, 13:42
Woo Hoo, Sixpence! Go Pacers! Bummer about Artest.

I'm definitely going to have to hunt me down some oil of oregano!! Hey, scorpio. It is a bummer about Artest. Harrington and Bender will need to step up in a major way!!!

I've been a huge Pacer fan since 1989 (at the tender age of 12). The sad thing is, only two or three years later was the last time that I was around my goal weight of 185!!!! But, I'm storming towards my six year low of 225!!!

2brickie
Thu, Feb-19-04, 13:49
it really has made me lose inches, im wearing a size 7 pants today that im giving to the thrift store tomorrow. they feel huge. i have been wearing my 5's but i thought not to much difference between the two until i put these on. the rearend is so baggy, my legs look like i should put both in one leg, and the waist is falling off all the time. i have had great luck with it and only on it two weeks. its hard to find pure though. this is the brand i bought NATURES WAY, they also have a website to get it. good luck.

citinoise
Thu, Feb-19-04, 13:55
It doesn't give you indigeston?

scorpio381
Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:08
I just found a good price for Nature's Way online. I searched several places, and this one had the best price....

http://allstarhealth.com/detaildisplay.asp?prodid=2897

Sixpence...I sure hope this isn't the beginning of the end (again)!

hornbrau
Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:22
This ones not "Natures Way" but it does have 150mg of Oregano oil.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&productId=12316&keyWord=oregano

2brickie
Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:28
the one i got was take once a day. i have another brand i had tried dont like it as much. it hasnt given me heartburn or anything. the other brand i have is a powder this is actually i capsule full of oil. the powder doesnt seem to work as well.

scorpio381
Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:30
So I'm wondering if 150 mg would do a better/faster job than 50 mg?

trustycat
Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:40
oil of oregano-- is it something u can cook with/put on salads too, or do u have to take the pill form?

bonesigh
Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:51
Congrats 2brickie!

I use the GNC liquid oil of oregano. Oil of Oregano in liquid form is very strong. I don't think you would enjoy it on salads. I've been reading around, and some say that oil of oregano is very helpful in fighting yeast overgrowth in the digestive tract.

-Mike

toning_up
Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:53
The yeast thing is where it probably helped with the stall. Yeast overgrowth, Atkins says is a well known staller.

2brickie
Thu, Feb-19-04, 15:08
well i wouldnt take to much it makes you to busy and you cant sleep. you cant take the kind you cook with

scorpio381
Thu, Feb-19-04, 15:10
So, Brickie.....you think 50mg is the max you should take? I'm going to stop at the health food store on my way home.

2brickie
Thu, Feb-19-04, 16:04
from my own experience, the 50 mg is good, i started taking another brand 2 a day, and i was so wound up i couldnt sleep at night. just seems the one of 50 mg has really kicked in for me after about exactly 2 weeks. i will continue to take it, up until the time i have lost my last 2 pounds.

rose7
Thu, Feb-19-04, 19:00
Brickie, what do you mean when you say 'wound up'? Does it cause any constipation or diarrhea problem by taking this?

:rose: Rose

2brickie
Thu, Feb-19-04, 21:26
no like i cant sleep i was wide awake, it really gives me alot of energy. if anything it should help with the constipation.

rose7
Thu, Feb-19-04, 23:36
2brickie - Thanks for all the tips! :) I'm going to look for this tomorrow. I'm looking for anything that'll help me w/my digestive system. G'night!

trustycat
Fri, Feb-20-04, 00:50
hmmm, i'm thinking of trying it now =) has it helped anyone else with the stall though? Any side effects? Brikie--how long did u have to take it for before noticing the whoosh (congrats by the way, u must be soooo happy!)

scorpio381
Fri, Feb-20-04, 07:40
Well, I picked up some at a HFS last night. But they only had it in the 150mg. I took one this morning, so we'll see what happens as far as being "wound up" goes. I'll update to this thread if anything unusual happens.....like if I have so much energy that I actually feel like working on a Friday afternoon when my boss is out of town! LOL :-)

bevbme
Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:15
No one over 140lb has jumped into this thread to buy the newest magic bullet.

What exactly does the oil of oregano do in your system.?

trustycat
Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:26
yeah, I'm also a bit curious although there was a thread earlier that it helps with bloating (i think i have ibs or a yeast so bloating is a big problem!) But what does the liquid form taste like? I heard the liquid was better than the tablet, and also good source of fatty acids-- i find olive oil to be too mild, so maybe i would like it on salads?

2brickie
Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:51
the liquid form you can buy in the gel caps, my mom has bought it in nevada, actually the natures way i take is liquid inside one of those capsules you can see it. i have taken the powder capsule and took 2 a day. i took it for about 2 weeks before the scale moved, but the pants started becoming baggy about 4 days into it. i just wanted to let you all know it worked for me in my last few pounds. im down another 1/2 pound this morning after eating what i felt like was a ton yesterday. i have 1 1/2 pounds to go to reach my goal of 123 so i figure whatever it did im happy. i need to update my profile today. good luck

fatty2by4
Fri, Feb-20-04, 09:20
WOW!

I knew that oil of oregano helps with migrane troubles but for stalls, it sounds like a great thing. It probably has positive effects also that you or I don't know yet. In ancient times, natural oils were all there were for medications.

Great job on you weigh loss sucess!

CIAO

2brickie
Fri, Feb-20-04, 09:27
we have a friend who is a holistic vet, she says oil of oregano is good for many things, but she never dreamed it would boost the weight loss so fast. she takes it for an immunity builder. i know she gives it to my horses for something, and whatever she does they love her. when she comes around they all just perk their ears up and wait for their turn. i will continue to use it, and see if it continues to work.

fatty2by4
Fri, Feb-20-04, 09:37
Well brickie-

If nothing else, you may run faster, have a nice shiny coat of hair on your head and have a strong desire for alfalfa. lol -- sorry, couldn't resist.

CIAO

2brickie
Fri, Feb-20-04, 09:46
hey that might work haha if it makes my hair shiny i will love it. maybe it will help hair grow.

leslew5
Fri, Feb-20-04, 09:50
Can i get this oil from the super walmart?

sixpence
Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:08
Can i get this oil from the super walmart? I just called the Walmart close to my home and they said that they carry Vitamen E and Greentree Oil, but not Oregano Oil or Oil of Oregano.

2brickie
Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:14
i havent seen it at walmart. i get mine at fred meyers, a health food store, or gnc

scorpio381
Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:15
I think it's probably something that will more likely be found at a health food store, a vitamin shop, or your local GNC store.

lilian
Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:30
Hey Brikie,
Im so exited to hear about your weightloss :yay: I went straight to my healthfood store yesterday and found the oil of oregano, and was suprised at how expensive it was both the liquid and the gel caps ran for $29 to $30 dollars and I sure I read you got yours for like $11
so I wanted to ask where you bought them and what brand is it?
The liquid form said it was maid out of wild oregano oil, is it the same kind?

:roll:
thankl Lily

2brickie
Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:45
i bought mine at fred meyers for 11 dollars a bottle and it is oil from wild oregano. mine is Natures Way, and they have a website you can order it online if you cant find it. they also had at the fred meyers the 29 dollar bottle and the lady working there told me the Natures Way is a purer oil has more oil content or something. try online if you cant find it local.

campbanana
Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:49
I just ordered some from the link hornbrau posted for $10.94.

2brickie
Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:52
i just went to www.naturesway.com and they have a store locator button type in oregano oil, and then it will say where to buy when you click on the product. try it

lilian
Fri, Feb-20-04, 11:44
Thanks so much Brickie, for the info :)

I can't wait to go buy some..

Thanks so much :roll:

libra81
Fri, Feb-20-04, 12:00
thanks for the tip, I'm at a stall too. I weigh about 138 right now but my goal weight is 125. I will definately try this out.

2brickie
Fri, Feb-20-04, 12:08
it seemed to me the last 8 pounds was taking the longest. i was losing inches and finally with this help i started to get the scale moving again. you can read up on what else it helps online

trustycat
Fri, Feb-20-04, 12:26
congrats brikie on getting to your goal weight! Yea!

I found a website on-line and wanted to post this info for you all:

Oil of Oregano Effectively Treats:

· acne · allergies · arthritis · asthma · athlete's foot · constipation · croup · dandruff · diarrhea · digestive disturbances · insect bites · bronchitis · canker sores · colds · flu · earaches · fatigue · gum disease · parasites · headaches · menstrual irregularities · psoriasis · toenail problems · seborrhea · ringworm · rosacea · sinusitis · muscle pain · varicose veins · warts

for the liquid oil, It is strong, so when using it internally, start with small amounts, like one or two drops twice daily in juice.

Take one drop twice per day working your way to one drop four times per day. Mix with one teaspoon of honey, maple syrup, or olive oil to improve palatability. Take for a period of 15 days and then stop for 15 days. Then repeat the process.

~i'm not convinced if it aids in weight loss (unless it helps with contstipation...sorry to be gross) but with all the other benefits, it's worth a shot!

Birddog
Fri, Feb-20-04, 12:28
I ran out to the health foods store at lunch and bought a bottle. They had some for $30.00 a bottle but the health foods workers said there was Oil of Oregano by Solaray for $8.10, 150 MG. So, I took her advise and bought the Solaray. I am so excited. Thanks for the info. :yay:

trustycat
Fri, Feb-20-04, 12:29
umm...and the negative side:

Possible Side Effects

Side effects are minimal. However, allergic reactions to oregano oil and even a sensitivity to plants in the Labiatae family (thyme, basil, hyssop, marjoram, mint, sage) can occur. Stop taking oregano oil (and any form of oregano) if signs or symptoms of an allergic reaction develop (these may include facial swelling, skin rash, itching, nausea, vomiting, and other symptoms).

Cautions

Talk to your doctor before taking oregano oil internally if you suffer from iron-deficiency anemia; the oregano might make your condition worse by inhibiting the absorption of iron from foods and supplements.

2brickie
Fri, Feb-20-04, 14:51
i guess im one of the lucky ones who isnt allergic, this is the only thing i have changed about my low carbing in the last month, so its either i persisted long enough the good fairy said okay okay or this has helped. i searched it online too, and it amazes me what it works for. anyway my mother learned about this at curves from their nutritionist, so i figured i would try it and have had good luck, hope it helps some

Luscious
Fri, Feb-20-04, 15:10
It looks like the oil you have been taking contains flax seed oil also? That has long been known to assist weight loss on LC.

determine3
Fri, Feb-20-04, 15:14
2brickie_ do you have to take your oregano oil with meals? Mine says take twice with meals and I'm wondering if it's the right kind.

Thanks
Tasha

jennabrams
Fri, Feb-20-04, 15:15
Thanks for the tip...I definitely want to give it a try...how long is your mom supposed to take it? What did Curves suggest?
Thanks again,
Jenn

scorpio381
Fri, Feb-20-04, 15:22
Birddog,
That's exactly the same one I got at the same price made by Solar Ray. I haven't noticed being "wound up", but I sure haven't been lacking energy today!

2brickie
Fri, Feb-20-04, 16:43
i take mine with meals because it says to do so, actually the one i have i take once a day with breakfast. i take 3000 mg of flax oil anyway i have since i started.

Birddog
Fri, Feb-20-04, 20:00
Birddog,
That's exactly the same one I got at the same price made by Solar Ray. I haven't noticed being "wound up", but I sure haven't been lacking energy today!

Hey Scorpio. I have energy galore. :)

Lindym
Fri, Feb-20-04, 23:46
I read quite a bit about it last night on the net, and bought some today. I got the liquid extract form as it is labeled as "wild" which is what you want. I was fairly expensive, but it has 216 doses in the bottle. My DH is using it with me, not only to lose lbs, but for his roseacia. We'll see of works for either :wiggle:

RuthJaneen
Sat, Feb-21-04, 05:41
Hi! Vitacost.com carries the Nature's Way brand of this for 7.50.

http://www.vitacost.com/Store/Products/ProductDescription.cfm?SKUNumber=033674151815&searchby=PN&SearchText=oregano%20oil

I ordered some too!!

;)

Ruth Janeen

cincin11
Sat, Feb-21-04, 10:49
Hi,

I just want to get in on this thread . I can't wait to find out how it effects everyone trying it. Good luck all.
Cindy

calico32
Sat, Feb-21-04, 11:27
I bought some last night. Haven't taken any today, as I forgot before I left the house. I think my slow weightloss and energy issues are due to yeast, since I eat alot of dairy. I'll report back my experiences.

Draven9981
Sat, Feb-21-04, 11:37
This is soooo ironic that I finally noticed this topic today. RIGHT WHEN I AM CRAVING OREGANO!!!!!

My favorite dish was always any form of pasta most sketti..lol with LOADS and when I say LOADS I mean it of Oregano.

Maybe this oil of oregano will help those cravings and yet help out too???!!!

2brickie
Sat, Feb-21-04, 11:56
well i really hope it helps you all as well as it has me, i am down to 124 today. 1 more pound to go and then im worried i wont want to quit losing. oh well i know that 123 is the best weight for me, i was always under 100 pounds in school and too thin, 123 is a perfect size 6 or 4 depending on what im buying and that is perfect for me. i weighed 123 for along time and was very very happy so this oregano oil is going to get me to that point again. anyways i guess 124 isnt bad either if i cant lose the last pound but im not giving up. i have never felt this good in my life, i dont take blood pressure meds anymore, my cholestrol level is excellent, and i am having great fun with my kids and husband. so i really hope this helps you all as much as it has me.

red1cutie
Sat, Feb-21-04, 12:39
:yay: Congrats Brickie! :yay:

Those who are trying it let us know if it works. I'd be interested in hearing what the moderators have to say about this.

red

Karen Lynn
Sat, Feb-21-04, 14:27
I started on this yesterday. I bought the kind that is with the olive oil base. I did notice that I am burping (excuse me!LOL!) oregano! Thought that was funny!

2brickie
Sat, Feb-21-04, 15:26
i havent had any burping troubles, that is funny. my mom takes the kind with olive oil, she couldnt get the kind with flax and said it is working great for her

Alopex
Sat, Feb-21-04, 15:28
I have some that I've had for a long time, ever since battling yeast, and it's SO disgusting (it's the concentrated oil--no capsule :Puke: ) that I just haven't taken any. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea (if it isn't expired!) to give it a shot. I've been experiencing some potentially yeast-related bloating lately.

I'll see if it's still worth using and report any results I get, okay?

2brickie
Sat, Feb-21-04, 15:31
what about buying those empty knox gelatin caps and putting your oil in there so you can just swallow it. i know i dont think i could take it unless in a capsule. i would gag at the thought of putting that directly on my tongue or something.

diamond
Sat, Feb-21-04, 16:58
hi, I've been taking wild oil of oregano for the last month or so and I have found
that I have more energy as for weight loss it has helped when I have stalled to
move the scale downward.

2brickie
Sat, Feb-21-04, 17:01
diamond thanks for the information, i have been on it about 17 days and have just really started the scale moving again. the curves my mom attends have had ladies lose quite alot of weight while taking it. i hope it continues to work, and i can always use the added energy, but like i said i take mine in the morning so im not up all night.

Lindym
Sat, Feb-21-04, 17:07
[QUOTE=2brickie]what about buying those empty knox gelatin caps and putting your oil in there so you can just swallow it. i know i dont think i could take it unless in a capsule. i would gag at the thought of putting that directly on my tongue or something.

Good idea!! I have been putting it a small amount of water and swallowing it JUST before my first bit of breakfast.

MaryToU
Sat, Feb-21-04, 17:42
I have read through all the posting, and I can't help but think to myself. Here we all go again. Someone comes along and says they have found the "cure" and everyone goes running for the pills. Hopeing this will be the thing that will push the scale down the fastest route. Before I jump on any band wagon, I think I would like to read a lot more on the subject. I have taken and done everything from here to there, and so far in life I have no magic anything to lose weight. Atkins excluded ofcourse ;).

I agree with Red I'd be interested in hearing what the moderators have to say about this.

newgirlPEI
Sat, Feb-21-04, 18:06
Here is a link that may give some of you some extra info -- any way you look at it it seems like Oil of Oregano has a multitude of benefits regardless of whether it helps with a stall or not!

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/oregano.html

Lisa N
Sat, Feb-21-04, 18:17
From what I've read about oil of oregano, I haven't found any site that makes claims that it helps with weight loss. What it does seem to have been used for traditionally is to treat fungal and bacterial infections as well as respiratory ailments such as bronchitis, asthma and allergies. The herb is mentioned in the Bible as "Hyssop" and has been used since that time if not well before then.
It would seem, I think, to appear to be a weight loss aid if you've had a problem with yeast overgrowth and started taking it inadvertantly dealing with the yeast problem that was interfering with weight loss. I do suspect, given the widespread use of antibiotics in recent years that many people do have a problem with yeast overgrowth without even realizing it.
No, I don't think it's any kind of "magic bullet", but it probably won't hurt even if you really don't need it unless, of course, the money could have been better spent on other things that you do need.
A larger concern for me is the issue of people looking for that "magic pill" that will send the scale speeding downward. Many such "cures" have come and gone and to date none of them has proven to work as advertised for more than a handful of people.
My personal opinion is that when it comes down to it, nothing can replace eating right, getting enough sleep and excercising to provide weight loss. If you have medical issues, by all means address those as well but really...there is no magic weight loss pill out there.

Samuel
Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:55
I wonder if the reason it speeds up your weight loss is that it makes you sleep less.

Alopex
Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:59
I always thought sleeping more helped with weight loss, but you're right, the extra moving around could contribute.

2brickie
Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:25
i dont know but i went to the site above and thats alot of stuff it supposedly helps. im wondering if i did have a yeast thing going on, whateever it helped me so maybe it can help others

Draven9981
Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:39
I can't wait, even if it just helps with my asthma that is a miracle enough!

LadyBelle
Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:52
I decided to pick some up. I don't think they would magically help with weight loss, but the yeast connection interested me. I am currently on antibiotics, and know I have had yeast troubles in the past. So maybe by taking these along with eating my yogurt, and having yeast fighters, I can prevent a candidia flair up that could result in no weight loss or other problems.

Karen Lynn
Sun, Feb-22-04, 12:05
Did anyone taking this have any "die off" effects such as headache and flu like symptoms that are normal with combating candida? Starting to feel like this today and I started three days ago.

sydnarella
Sun, Feb-22-04, 13:12
2brickie, how many milligrams are in the capsules you're taking?

2brickie
Sun, Feb-22-04, 13:17
the one i take has 50 mg oregano oi, and 25mg flax oil. i asked the lady at the store i purchased these and she said it is a very pure wild oregano therefore you dont need to take more than one a day. it says one a day on the box. i have not had any die off symptoms, i actually have been feeling super.

want2bfit
Mon, Feb-23-04, 10:12
Wondering if anyone can help with my question. I have read that the Atkins Essential Oils can help with weight loss and also has other benefits. Have any of you tried the essential oils and if so do you have any opinions of it vs the oil of oregano. Thanks, Maureen

letsgo
Mon, Feb-23-04, 10:29
Wow the one I just bought is by Gaia Herbs. The label says that it contains 460 mg of Wild Mediterranean oregano leaf per 2 pills a day!! That's alot more than 50. Hmmmm

ChristaS
Mon, Feb-23-04, 11:31
Sounds like the one you bought is actually leaves, not the oil from them. Does the bottle say "Oil of Oregano", or just "Oregano"?

SuperSue04
Mon, Feb-23-04, 11:39
Mine's 150, and yes I've been feeling a little woozy/sleepy (where's the energy you all promised! :rolleyes: Ha, ha!) like I've got some "die off" going on, but I've only been taking them 3 days.

Weird thing is, after 3-4 weeks battling the same pound, I'm down to my lowest today. Hmmm. Could be coincidence! :)

Sue

Kristine
Mon, Feb-23-04, 11:48
I agree with Luscious - I think it was the flax oil! :daze:

2brickie
Mon, Feb-23-04, 12:22
the dry i had was 150mg it worked but i had to take 2 or 3 a day.

lilian
Mon, Feb-23-04, 12:34
I think brikie is on to something
allot of us take flaxseed oil and nothing happens then some start taking the oregano oil and it works
just give credit to the oregano and don't be so skeptical.

bye. :wiggle:

Draven9981
Mon, Feb-23-04, 13:10
I can't wait til my bottle comes in.

scorpio381
Mon, Feb-23-04, 13:27
Birddog - yes, I've been feeling great too and have had lots of energy. But it's not the kind of "wound up, caffeine" energy you get with some products. It's more of a wide awake feeling. Like yesterday, I was laying on the couch being a couch potato while doing laundry. I thought to myself, "maybe I'll lay here and take a nap". For the life of me, I couldn't keep my eyes closed. I finally got up and made some egg salad for this week and even got out the cauliflower and made a huge batch of the cauliflied rice! I wasn't buzzing, I was just keeping myself busy. It felt great!

Now, as for the weight loss, I'm sure this is QUITE coincidental, but I liked it nonetheless. I only started taking the oregano on Friday, so I'm quite sure it had nothing to do with anything.....OR DID IT???? Anyway, I woke up Saturday morning one pound down. I woke up Sunday morning one MORE pound down. WHAT???? NO WAY!!!! YES, WAY!!!! I haven't changed my eating habits. In fact, I had an individual Donato's pepperoni pizza for lunch on Friday! (That no-crust pizza they're advertising is way overrated, IMO.)

I dunno what's going on, but I'll tell you one thing. Oil of Oregano will continue to be on my list of vitamins and supplements I'm taking!

Good luck, everyone!

2brickie
Mon, Feb-23-04, 13:43
i dont think its the flax oil, as i have taken 3000 mg of flax oil since the day i started atkins last year, and this has really helped me. i agree its not a diet people energy or caffiene its more like you just stay busy. i love it, and my house has never been so clean. haha. i even did baseboards this morning and that is a chore i put off as long as possible.

jennabrams
Mon, Feb-23-04, 13:52
Hi guys, I went to my health food store to buy the oregano oil this morning and the woman told me it was dangerous to take...she said it had the same effects as an antibiotic and should only be taken for 10 days in a row, not as a dietary supplement...has anyone else heard this? Also, I have not taken atkins essential oils and was wondering if you all recommend them?
Thanks, Jenn

Birddog
Mon, Feb-23-04, 13:56
[QUOTE=scorpio381]Birddog - yes, I've been feeling great too and have had lots of energy. But it's not the kind of "wound up, caffeine" energy you get with some products. It's more of a wide awake feeling. Like yesterday, I was laying on the couch being a couch potato while doing laundry. I thought to myself, "maybe I'll lay here and take a nap". For the life of me, I couldn't keep my eyes closed. I finally got up and made some egg salad for this week and even got out the cauliflower and made a huge batch of the cauliflied rice! I wasn't buzzing, I was just keeping myself busy. It felt great!

Now, as for the weight loss, I'm sure this is QUITE coincidental, but I liked it nonetheless. I only started taking the oregano on Friday, so I'm quite sure it had nothing to do with anything.....OR DID IT???? Anyway, I woke up Saturday morning one pound down. I woke up Sunday morning one MORE pound down. WHAT???? NO WAY!!!! YES, WAY!!!! I haven't changed my eating habits. In fact, I had an individual Donato's pepperoni pizza for lunch on Friday! (That no-crust pizza they're advertising is way overrated, IMO.)

I dunno what's going on, but I'll tell you one thing. Oil of Oregano will continue to be on my list of vitamins and supplements I'm taking!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are doing great. Kudos to you. I had a 1 lb drop. Like you said, coincidental....Maybe......maybe not.
I too started on Friday. The woe itself gives me tons of energy. So, I'm really never lacking in that area. You are right it is not like a caffeine rush. I tried to read a book on Sunday and could not concentrate. My mind kept wondering. I finally got up and made my lunch for today. I don't know if the oil of oregano had anything to do with it or maybe it is just me.

2brickie
Mon, Feb-23-04, 14:02
i asked the lady at our local health food store and she says it is sold as a natural herb, and she has people who take it every day to build their immunity. she didnt mention it being harmful, and the ladies recommending it at curves to my mother didnt mention it being harmful. i have been taking it for 20 days now and havent had any thing except weightloss and energy. oh yes my skin is extremely clear and my pants are falling off all day. my mom has a paper on it, and is says it is useful for skin problems, dandruff, colds, and flus, but just to make sure im going to contact a friend of mine who uses young living essential oils for everything and see if it will harm us.

beanerz
Mon, Feb-23-04, 14:15
Well I ran out last night and got mine. I was really glad to see that it also helps with other skin ailments which I have. What the heck, I will see if it works and let you all know.... GOt the same as Brickie's, Natureway at Fred Meyer (GNC didn't have it, only the oil), and took one today, Monday....

scorpio381
Mon, Feb-23-04, 14:34
From all the information I've read on oil of oregano since I read this post last Thursday, I haven't read anything anywhere about harmful effects or to take it only for 10 days at a time.

Seems like some of the research I've read on it would have addressed that issue if it were true. I'm just not sure "the lady who works at the HFS" is high on my list of people to believe. Unless she's the owner/operator of that HFS, she's probably just a lady with a job in a HFS who hasn't studied the effects of every product sold in that store. JMHO.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but I'll take it until I see credible information to the contrary.

2brickie
Mon, Feb-23-04, 14:39
i agree with scorpio, if i listened to all the harmful things i wouldnt be lcing as you know people tell me all the time it will kill me not good for me and so on, so until i see proof im sticking to it, just like i have this wol. i would love to hear from you all as to if it has helped at all. thanks

trustycat
Mon, Feb-23-04, 15:16
i did some more research-- oil of oregano is really meant for those who have some sort of allergy/yeast problem and I did find some sites that said it was extremely potent and recommended taking it for 15 days, then not taking it for 15 days, etc. But I think the kind Brikie uses is ok since its so low dose and diluted in flax or olive oil-- probably only the high dosage oregano is potent/has side effects/should be used on the 15 day regime. I know some ayurvedic doctors who specialize in herbal remedies, I'll make inquiries and get back to you all, if anyone's interested!

scorpio381
Mon, Feb-23-04, 15:42
"Oil of oregano is a potent germ killer. Jean Valnet, in his book The Practice of Aromatherapy, describes how oil of oregano is so strong that it is capable of sterilizing sewage." Wow! Now THAT'S strong! LOL

2brickie
Mon, Feb-23-04, 15:51
well at we will be sterilized haha

2brickie
Mon, Feb-23-04, 17:49
okay i just searched the web and the die off symptoms can be pretty much like the flu, or brain fog it says depending on how much yeast you had in your system, im willing to bet we all have a yeast build up just never did anything about it. i mean think of all the yeast foods we ate for how many years, and the meds and stuff we took. oh my gosh that would be as bad to see as the stuff when i had my c section, i begged them to just suck all my fat out but they wouldnt they just laughed. hmmmmmmmmmmmm. well this has worked for me and it will always be with me.

trustycat
Mon, Feb-23-04, 18:51
what are die off symptoms? Do u get them right away once starting oil of oregano, and then do they go away and u get more energy?...brickie, please explain :)

jennabrams
Mon, Feb-23-04, 18:59
Hi guys,
I have a lot of questions too, Brickie-- I definitely want to try it, but I'm unsure and a little worried...I know a person who works at health food store is not an expert, but if it has the same qualities as an antiobiotic...it must be pretty potent. Have you had any side effects?
Thanks for the help & the info--
Jenn :daizy:

Hi Trustycat...it's funny bumping into you somewhere other than our journals!!! :lol:

Lindym
Mon, Feb-23-04, 20:25
I know some ayurvedic doctors who specialize in herbal remedies, I'll make inquiries and get back to you all, if anyone's interested!

Please, please, please. We bought the Oreginol brend: potent & spendy, but it does have 216 doses. :agree:

want2bfit
Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:15
Kristine, what is your opinion of the Atkins Essential Oils? Hope you or someone else will that the time to answer. Not sure which one to start taking. Does Flax seed oil have the same benefits for the heart as plain flax seed? Maureen

Shannonp
Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:23
I am going to try them for a while and see what happens. I am not a pill taker at all. I tried taking the essential oils by Atkins but really didn't like taking 'supplements'. This oregano oil seems like it has many many benefits (clearing up my face a little is a big one for me!) so I'm going to give it a shot.

If you have been on this for any length of time - could you list any benefits you believe have come since you started taking the oregano oil?

Thanks everyone! I think this was the first time I have ever read a 7 page thread entirely! :lol:

trustycat
Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:52
(hey jenna =) hope things are going well for u!)

I definitely share some concerns and also think i have some yeast problems, so if anyone could explain candida/die off symptoms, that'd be great.

I'm no expert but i think flax seed oil is beneficial to the heart 'cause of the omega-3s....also found in fatty fish, walnuts, olive oil, and yes, i'm sure in flax seeds and flax-products (like, there are cereals with flax specially added that advertise as being good for the heart)

also, about the many benefits-- may not be that noticeable and u might want to do some research first cause :
1. oregano oil can be taken internally or applied externally--as in, ingesting it won't cure athlete's foot, u have to rub it on your foot, (not sure about the acne)

and
2. it's really the high doses that will help u out with certain stuff (like on-line, some recommendations are 2-3 capsules of high potency stuff a day to cure various ailments) although the lower dose helps with minor things (bloating, etc)

just want to say to be careful/wary, that's all! and if the 50 mg helps with stalls, then maybe that's a better option that the 200 mg stuff which might be dangerous, esp if taken every day without a real reason (like candida or something)

Draven9981
Mon, Feb-23-04, 22:22
well, from listening to all the reviews I honestly believe this is gonna be SEVERELY needed by me. Since I started Atkins, I swear I have gotten a yeast infection of some sort. I can't explain it cause i have no pain. BUt I sweat more and I slightly have a odor. It is very embarrasing. Mark(DH) said that whenever you change a diet your body odor will get affected. So, I hope this helps get rid of all yeast that may be in my body.
YUCKY Want to smell good and oregany..lol

Sorry, but it has concerned me.

Karen Lynn
Tue, Feb-24-04, 08:22
2brickie - since you've been on this the longest, do you find your cravings have went away? I was thinking that the cravings would be due to the candida since it feeds off the "nono" stuff we shouldn't have. Once it's under control, wouldn't the cravings stop too?

ALso, do you eat yogourt? and Art. Sweetners? I was wondering because I've read several sites where the Art Sweet.'s will actually have the same reaction to the yeast as sugar does. The only thing that doesn't feed the yeast was Stevia.

SuperSue04
Tue, Feb-24-04, 09:19
UPDATE:

I started taking oil of oregano (oreganol) and Co-Q 10 last Friday. Since then, I have lost 4 pounds. :yay:

I was stalled or up and down with the same pound or two for 3 weeks prior . . . .

Hmmmm . . . might be on to something!! Whoosh?!? :roll: :roll:

Sue

2brickie
Tue, Feb-24-04, 09:20
okay first things first, the die off symptoms are caused when the body is getting rid of the yeast build up. i did read somewhere that if you take fiber and drink plenty of floods these should be under control. i havent had them, but i take for the record every day, 1 multi vitamin, 1 oregano capsule, 5 psyllium husk capsules, day and night, 3 1000 mg flax seed oil gel caps. i try to avoid as much cheeses and other foods on the list you are supposed to, but i do eat meat, i grew up on a ranch as my father says your not eating unless you have your protein. i have cut out as much as possible and drink a ton of water, i didnt just start eating things i should i have always tried to eat as natural as possible.

i find that i dont crave things and it really helps with your appetite, but you must continue to get your 20 grams of carbs or i dont think it would work. i am not a doctor but i tend to try to stay away from alot of antibiotics and stuff if i can. actually since starting my lc life, i havent been sick, so i can say just that has really helped me.

i am waiting on an email back from my friend who is involved with young living oils and i will let you all know whats going on with that.

i would like to hear from you all to see if it has helped you at all. i use a capsule form not the liquid and havent smelled quite like italian food yet. my sister takes the oregano and is in the military and said it has improved her energy level greatly. my mom is a size 4 now so she isnt going to quit taking it anytime soon i dont think. we will all just smell oreganoie together. i really honestly feel if you ate foods heavy with starches and sugars this wouldnt help you, but i am not sure of that. it does say yeast build up sugar is a major problem with that as well as white flour.

fatty2by4
Tue, Feb-24-04, 09:27
Well you guys have me sold! I am going to my natural food store around the corner and trying this out. I hope I have 1/2 the results!

CIAO

scorpio381
Tue, Feb-24-04, 09:28
Just wanted to say....I'm taking the 150 mg capsule and I haven't noticed a smell or taste of oregano. However, I do have a strange urge for garlic bread. (JUST KIDDING!!) hehe

trustycat
Tue, Feb-24-04, 09:29
Brickie-- thanks for clarifying! So, does your sister and mom take the 50 mg capsules as well? (as u might be able to tell, i'm concerned about the high dosage stuff cause i know overdosing on antibiotics can lead to antibiotic resistance--major prob these days-- as well as some internal bleeding/stomach issues)
does fiber really help with the die-off symptoms? Any other methods for relief?

2brickie
Tue, Feb-24-04, 10:38
my mom and sister take the same as i do.

campbanana
Tue, Feb-24-04, 10:43
Draven9981, I too sweat more and have a slight odor. The odor isn't consistent though. It comes and goes. I am not familiar with yeast or the signs of it. What makes you think this is caused by yeast. Please educate me!

jedswife
Tue, Feb-24-04, 10:54
i went out and bought the oregano oil w/ olive oil 150 mg per capsule from GNC - Brand Name - Oreganol (made from wild oregano...)

i did not get it until about 2 pm yesterday took one and have gone down 1 pound as of this morning. will take more today and let you know the results.

the girl at gnc says she takes 2 with every meal and she does notice they help her lose weight not to mention it is a great antioxidant. she also said people take them to help with sinus problems (she noticed i had that problem) and i must admit my sinuses dont seem to be bothering much today.

Lindym
Tue, Feb-24-04, 11:04
Wow. We have been using the same brand since the 20th. Haven't noticed any changes yet. . . :rolleyes:

2brickie
Tue, Feb-24-04, 11:28
im glad to here some people have heard of it at gnc. the guy at our health food store says it is hard to keep on the shelves because people take it for sinuses and such. my parents do have a friend who says that is the only thing she did differently is the oregano and she lost 23 pounds on it. now i say if we eat as good as we do and take it, then it should help. i am still at 124 but maybe my body just thinks this is the right weight for me. i guess 124 isnt that far from 123 right?

leslew5
Tue, Feb-24-04, 11:32
I will start as soon as mine arrives in the mail!!!

scorpio381
Tue, Feb-24-04, 11:47
I actually got the last bottle on the shelf at the HFS I went to. Must be a pretty popular item! I haven't lost anything since the 2 pounds over the weekend, but I still feel great!

2brickie
Tue, Feb-24-04, 12:34
my mother in law went to get some last night and our local fred meyers is all sold out. she is trying gnc today. i hope she finds it.

superfly_c
Tue, Feb-24-04, 12:36
i am on my way to the HFS! you all have got me so excited about this! i have been the same 202 for over 2 weeks! i can't wait to see the 100's!!!! i will be so happy if this gets me moving! thanks for the great tip! i will keep you posted.

heatherbee
Tue, Feb-24-04, 13:04
I bought the liquid form of oil of oregano, which is diluted in olive oil. It tastes VERY strong! I do not look forward to ingesting that stuff. I have started squirting it in the back of my throat so that I dont have the taste on my tongue for hours! I take about 4 drops daily in the morning. I like you idea of the gel capsules. I need to buy some asap!

I have been taking oil of oregano since Friday...which makes today my 5th day. I am not sure if this is "die off" symptoms, but yesterday I was sooo nauseus and had a dull headache. My face was really red and hot (I do have rosacia but don't tend to have flare-ups unless I drink alcohol). It lasted for about 5 hours during the day and then came back after dinner. Today my face is really hot again and I feel a little yucky. I never even thought about yeast and that being a problem for me, but perhaps it is. I have about 100lbs. to loose and so far, my loss is moving VERY slowly. In fact, today was my weekly weigh-in and I gained .5lb. In 7 weeks, I've lost 11.5 lbs., which for a big girl, is a really slow loss. Could it be that I have yeast problems? I also went to the doctor this morning to have my thyriod tested.

I am not sure if oil of oregano is having an affect on my weight loss yet. I will continue taking it for a week more and see. I need all of the help I can get, since things are moving so slowly!

Lindym
Tue, Feb-24-04, 13:11
I bought the liquid form of oil of oregano, which is diluted in olive oil. It tastes VERY strong! I do not look forward to ingesting that stuff. I have started squirting it in the back of my throat so that I dont have the taste on my tongue for hours! I take about 4 drops daily in the morning. I like you idea of the gel capsules. I need to buy some asap!

My face was really red and hot (I do have rosacia but don't tend to have flare-ups unless I drink alcohol).

I bought gel caps to put mine in. My DH just puts 2 drops under his tongue, (actually I do it for him) and says its fine! He also has rosacia and is using 1 drop of the oil mixed with E on his face. . . he smells like a pizza parlor. :lol:

heatherbee
Tue, Feb-24-04, 13:28
hehehe. That's really funny LindyM! I accidentally spilled some on my sweater last week and smelled like it all day!

Does your DH put it on his face at night? Has it made a difference? Mine seems to be really bed right now, since I started taking the oil orally. Is there a period of adjustment for the body?

calico32
Tue, Feb-24-04, 14:19
Well guys, after 3 days of taking it, I'm down 2.5 lbs.

Could be coincidence, but I'm going to finish out the bottle and see what happens.

Patte
Tue, Feb-24-04, 14:43
I just started taking this today...Natures Way brand, 50mg with flax seed oil. This is kind of funny, but I never burp, and all morning I was burping..I felt like I had eaten pizza, before I realized it must have been this pill. I also noticed a little gas problem the other way so to speak. I hope thi8s goes away as I have to work tomorrow! Will log in with my results.

toning_up
Tue, Feb-24-04, 15:13
patte, you may find the burping and gas gets worse for a few days before it gets better. Oil of Oregano attacks candida (yeast) in the gut and can cause die off symptoms in some. Bloating, burping, gas, flatulence are all symptoms of this. It's the yeast dying and producing toxic gases. Drink lots of water to flush the body.

2brickie
Tue, Feb-24-04, 15:16
i havent had a gas problem, but i do take alot of psyllium husks and when i started taking those it was watch out gas machine. maybe you all with the red faces should check to see if thats a side effect by searching the candida sites with oil of oregano on them. i havent had any skin problems, just lots of bathroom breaks and its amazing how much water comes out when you pee soooooooooooooooo much. wonder if this stuff has a diuretic effect.

Lindym
Tue, Feb-24-04, 15:16
Does your DH put it on his face at night? Has it made a difference? Mine seems to be really bed right now, since I started taking the oil orally. Is there a period of adjustment for the body?

He's only been using it since Friday. He rubs it on(mixing in his hand with the E) and it soaks in. It does burn he says for 4 to 5 mins then is fine. He has been putting it on in the morning before work as he works outside & there is no one to smell it :). The rosacia bothers him so I'm hoping this helps.

We're going to take it internally 2 weeks on/2 weeks off, but he will continue to use it topically.

BonoLover
Tue, Feb-24-04, 16:28
The Better Heath Store (see link below) has the Solaray, 150mg, 60 caps for $5.84:

http://www.thebetterhealthstore.com/ItemDetail.asp?sku=7628008252

2brickie
Tue, Feb-24-04, 16:33
thanks for the information bonolover

heatherbee
Tue, Feb-24-04, 16:35
Has anyone else experienced a "die off"? I am starting to feel really crummy again today after I ate lunch. Sluggish in the morning and now I am nauseaus...fluish.

I ate some parmasean cheese with my salad...could that indicate that I have a yeast prob and that the oil of oreg is working on it? This makes two days in a row of feeling really crummy. When will it pass?

2brickie
Tue, Feb-24-04, 16:40
should depend on how much yeast buildup you have. i read that sometimes a week, maybe add some fiber and lots of water.

heatherbee
Tue, Feb-24-04, 16:49
I take a fibercon each day and eat flaxseed every other day. And yesterday, I drank 200 ozs. of water! Normally I drink around 130-150 ozs. of water per day. Hopefully I will flush this out asap!

petcrazed
Tue, Feb-24-04, 17:08
Hi all I have been reading this tread and have done research, since i am a microbiologist i wanted to finds out what antimicrobial properties this oil had, so here is what i have found...

Studies in the past decade confirm that the growth of both gram-positive and gram-negative foodborne bacteria, yeast. and mold can be inhibited by garlic, onion, cinnamon, cloves, thyme, sage, and other spices

oils of oregano and thyme (which contain carvacrol and thymol) are effective as fumigants against fungi on stored grain

oregano is effective against Mycotoxigenic Aspergillus, Salmonella spp., Vibrio parahaemolyticus and many types of yeast.

I also was woried that since oil of oregano does contain antimicrobials that it would interfeer with birth control pills, i spoke to a pharmacist (sp) and she informed me that after looking it up it has not know interactions.

Hope this helps!

Now if i can just find the darn pills in my little cow town!

petcrazed
Tue, Feb-24-04, 17:09
that last line should read no known interactions.

sorry

ndhulst
Tue, Feb-24-04, 19:10
glad this thread is here......cause I started it today...gas...all over the place hehe glad to know this is common and will go away!!:)

Karen Lynn
Tue, Feb-24-04, 19:27
I had really bad die off symptoms on Sunday after starting this on Friday. I've been feeling icky off and on since then too.

Anyone doing an anti candida diet with this?

superfly_c
Tue, Feb-24-04, 19:49
i started taking the Oregano Oil this morning (same is the thread starter's pill) and i have been burping oregano and i have had a headache all day! it made me want to take a loooooong nap. i have felt super foggy today. can someone add more about how and why these effects go away? thanks!

trustycat
Tue, Feb-24-04, 20:38
petcrazed-- thanks for the info. Do u know anything about why yeast builds up, what causes it, and if it returns?

Karen--what's an anti-candida diet? Like no dairy/yeast and all?

petcrazed
Tue, Feb-24-04, 20:55
I am not sure as to why it builds up but my guess would be, Yeast like acidic solutions so our digestive track is a perfecr environment. also once the balence of bacteria and yeast is upset it is hard to get it back in balence. this is usally upset by antibiotics and illness. Bacteria are much easier to kill then yeast so they will die off and leave more room for yeast.

will it return... Yes if you take antibiotics again or after and illness or even stress. the oil of oregano seems to have a antimicrobial ( not antibiotic, means it kill thinks other then just bacteria) that does not effect the mostly gram negative bacteria in our digestive systems but does kill yeast. so this will keep it in balence.

hope this helps

Patte
Tue, Feb-24-04, 21:45
Toning Up: Thanks for the advice. Even though I bought this and started taking it, I didn't really think I had any yeast build up...but I guess I do. Hopefully this gas will pass soon...I have a few importnant meetings tomorrow. My kids were howling at me today...I was like a human bull horn.

trustycat
Wed, Feb-25-04, 00:10
yuck, these side-effects sound awful! But I do have a lot of candida/yeast-like symptoms and did do some heavy anti-biotics in august-- which is when the symptoms started actually....
Can anyone who has had these side-effects comment on when they will go away? :( Still trying to debate if its worth it--is having yeast build-up dangerous? Is it that common that people can have it and not even know?

MamaSara6
Wed, Feb-25-04, 05:43
I started it 2 days ago. I'm not aware of any yeast problems, except maybe that I can't lose weight! ;-) I haven't had any gas, but I have felt nauseated both days and thought it was a continuation of my weekend illness. I bought the Solaray 150 mg. capsules. Only down .5 lbs. so far.

nursey15
Wed, Feb-25-04, 06:40
I started it 2 days ago, no gas, no burping, no weight loss either. :(

toning_up
Wed, Feb-25-04, 07:01
Candida overgrowth affects a huge percentage of society. Our recommended diets (THAT food pyramid) are a recipe for candida overgrowth. Sugars, wheats, yeasts all feed candida. Our doctor's willingness to hand out antibiotics like candy exacerbates it.

Many are symptomless, many more have symptoms that even they may not consider symptoms of something like this and many suffer terribly.

Read more about candida on this page and the whole site

http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/candida/criteria.html

Karen Lynn
Wed, Feb-25-04, 07:28
trustycat - Well, there's different theories on a candida diet. Some will tell you to eat yogourt, while others say no dairy at all. Someone mentioned eating cream cheese and mozzerella. I would think that any type of cheese would be out. Also, no nuts. No dairy at all is really hard especially when you love coffee the way I do. But, I'll live with it for three months if that's what it takes.

So, I was wondering what type of diet people are following while taking the oregano. If it were just low carb or are they cutting out more. Also, I read a thread about Grapefruit Seed Extract and how good it was for candida. If it's not too expensive, I thought I might try that also.

BlitzedAng
Wed, Feb-25-04, 07:32
Thank you so much for posting that link toning up, it was very imformative. Im passing it along to my dear friend.
Angel

sixpence
Wed, Feb-25-04, 07:57
http://store.yahoo.com/good-earth/now-foods-oregano-oil.html

For those who take the oil, do you have to dilute it with other veggie oils like NOW says to on this link above? Or do you just take it in the gel caps?

NOGAINHERE
Wed, Feb-25-04, 08:13
Would taking Gas EX be okay? Mine has not arrived yet, but I refue to walk arund farting!:o

scorpio381
Wed, Feb-25-04, 08:50
NOGAINHERE.....I'm not experiencing gassy symptoms. Maybe you'll be lucky too!

beanerz
Wed, Feb-25-04, 09:36
no gassy symtoms for me (and I am on day three of the liquid capsules)...I am going to the bathroom more than normal. Not like OMG I GOTTA GO, but I must be "flushing" my system as I am usually full of, well ya know....:)

Birddog
Wed, Feb-25-04, 10:03
Is it possible for Oil of Oregano to make you hungry? I have been taking it since last Friday and yesterday evening right after dinner. I was suddenly so hungry. This morning I had three eggs and two strips of bacon for breakfast. That was 2 hours ago and now I feel so hungry. I usually don't get hungry until lunch time. So I was just wonder. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any assistance. :help:

2brickie
Wed, Feb-25-04, 10:16
it has really curbed my appetite i havent had the hunger maybe that is a side effect for some and not others

scorpio381
Wed, Feb-25-04, 10:17
If anything, it's curbed my appetite too. I had some egg salad around 8:30 this morning and I haven't been hungry since then. Of course, now that it's lunchtime, I'm hungry again! lol

Karen Lynn
Wed, Feb-25-04, 10:34
I think it's curbed my cravings considerably. I did eat the rest of my low carb yogourt and that gave me cravings so I won't rebuy any of that. I haven't been craving any choc. but it's not TOM yet, so we will see. I have read where it's good for PMS symptoms also, so hope to see an improvement with that too.

Lindym
Wed, Feb-25-04, 10:41
http://store.yahoo.com/good-earth/now-foods-oregano-oil.html

For those who take the oil, do you have to dilute it with other veggie oils like NOW says to on this link above? Or do you just take it in the gel caps?

Hi sixpence, I take mine in gel caps, that I bought, but my DH just puts it under his tongue, says it doesn't really hit the taste buds that way :rolleyes:

superfly_c
Wed, Feb-25-04, 11:38
WOW!!!!!! i know i said that i had a headache yesterday and took a long nap, but a short while after that, i felt THE BEST EVER! i had SO much energy and i went down 1 pound this morning after being at the same weight for 2 weeks! i think it burned off my buildup and then i felt amazing! i had a very euphoric feeling that i have not felt since starting atkins! i can't wait to take Oregano Oil again!!!!!!! thank you so much 2Brickie!!!!!

heatherbee
Wed, Feb-25-04, 12:24
It's all making sense to me now. I started the oil of oregano on Friday. Had some gas on Sunday (which I almost never have now that I am eat LC), lots of BM's Sunday and Monday. Nausea on Monday and Tuesday with little headaches. I am waiting to see how I feel today as the nausea sets in around 11am. I am on my 6th day and no loss! In fact, I was up a pound today from yesterday.

If I am experiencing a "die off" does that mean that I have yeast probs? I am loosing very slowly and have been going up and down for the past few weeks. Could yeast be the culprit and I haven't known this whole time?

heatherbee
Wed, Feb-25-04, 12:41
Birddog - I am noticing that I am more hungry too. And I don't have extra engergy yet, but am looking forward to it. That's one thing I loved about Induction...lots of energy and the euphoric feeling.

jedswife
Wed, Feb-25-04, 12:42
hey all! i have a QUESTION or POSSIBLE Theory about why the oil of oregano may be helping to lose weight?/!?!?

i have been taking this for approx 3 days now and have lost a pound a day while taking it. prior to this i had been having a hard time getting back on track and staying on track after a stupid stupid holiday blow out. in other words i would do well all day and then the night munchies would just get me. and i mean waking up in the middle of the night craving sugar and before i knew it i had blown the whole day with a nighttime carb attack.

well since taking this for last 3 days i have lost a pound a day and have had virtually no carb cravings and i am in TOM right now. which is usually the hardest time of the month to fight my carb cravings.

<<do you or does anyone think that our bodies are treating the oil of oregano as fat - which not only helps satisfy us but ups our fat intake to increase the loss??!!!>>

<<is this something we could add to our fitday journal to increase our fat intake??>>

2brickie
Wed, Feb-25-04, 13:02
jedswife maybe you are onto something, i havent had cravings since i have been on it, and went thru tom like it was a breeze. i had maybe 2 days of spotting and that was it, if this helps that too im good to go.

superfly_c
Wed, Feb-25-04, 13:54
today is day 2 for me on this new vitamin. i feel great! i do not have any side effects at all. i really think that once you remove the excess yeast in your body, you begin losing again. i don't think this vitamin is a magic weight loss, it just removes your yeast problem that has been a road block. i was rereading Atkins (pg. 331) and it says that millions are allergic to yeast. he says to cut out the yeast and you will feel more energetic and start losing again. he also says to stop eating foods with yeast in them. there is a list of foods to avoid in that chapter. i think this vitamin is a great way to COMBAT YEAST!

petcrazed
Wed, Feb-25-04, 15:14
OK how long does the gas last?
I have a horrible gas problem normally. i think it might be yeast so i really dont want to take this if it is going to make it wosre for a long time. plus i have a tripnext saturday i dont want to be farting in the car during a 4 hour drive!

please some on tell me!!!

leslew5
Wed, Feb-25-04, 15:18
Boy, this a strong thread!!! It has been at the top all week!

scorpio381
Wed, Feb-25-04, 15:20
Birddog - how many of the 150mg Solar Ray capsules are you taking per day? I started out taking one, but noticed on the bottle that I could take up to 3 daily. I took 2 this morning and haven't noticed feeling any different from taking just 1 yesterday.

Liz09
Wed, Feb-25-04, 15:43
Hi there

Could anyone tell me where I could purchase this in Ontario??? I have been to all the health food stores in my area and no one has the oregano/flaxseed combo.

Any suggestions????

trustycat
Wed, Feb-25-04, 15:49
superfly-- but if we've been low-carbing for a while, shouldn't we not have that much yeast in our bodies? What are some of the foods with yeast in them?

Also, since you've had positive result, what dosage of oregano oil are you taking?

~you can purchase it on-line, there's a link earlier in the thread

Lindym
Wed, Feb-25-04, 15:52
.<<do you or does anyone think that our bodies are treating the oil of oregano as fat - which not only helps satisfy us but ups our fat intake to increase the loss??!!!>>

<<is this something we could add to our fitday journal to increase our fat intake??>>

It doesn't seem like the 2 drops of oil I'm taking could make a difference in my fat count :roll:

kath310
Wed, Feb-25-04, 16:16
Liz09,

I found these on the web for Ontario orders:

http://www.woodlandnaturalremedies.com/canwebsite/oregano.html $18 canadian + $7.50 shipping

iherb.com has many different pills/oils, but it's $20 shipping to canada

i haven't been out to look yet, but I'm going to try at Bulk Barn & Shoppers Drug Mart as well as the health food store near my house.

Where in Ontario are you? :)

Hope this helps!

...Kath :)

2brickie
Wed, Feb-25-04, 17:02
okay here is a weird one, this has really just hit me, i work out almost every night, and you know when you workout you sweat and stink, since taking this oregano i dont have a body odor. is that weird or what. i think if you cant find the gel caps the powder oregano wild oil would be fine you probably need the 150 mg instead of just 50

Birddog
Wed, Feb-25-04, 17:17
Birddog - how many of the 150mg Solar Ray capsules are you taking per day? I started out taking one, but noticed on the bottle that I could take up to 3 daily. I took 2 this morning and haven't noticed feeling any different from taking just 1 yesterday.

I have only been taking one. I was concerned because in the earlier post, others are taking 50 grams. So, I thought because I am taking 150 it might be too strong and is causing me to be hungry. I don't know. I am just guessing. Thanks though. :confused:

CindyG
Wed, Feb-25-04, 17:49
Ok, I'm convinced. I'm heading to GNC tonight to pick this stuff up. Worse case maybe it can help me with the "adult acne" I've developed since starting lc. I'm not gonna take it til the weekend, just in case I have any side effects :lol:

petcrazed
Wed, Feb-25-04, 18:20
so how long do the gas side effects last and what dose is everyone taking?
thanks

superfly_c
Wed, Feb-25-04, 19:02
hi all! i have been following what 2Brickie is doing. here is a link to buy it cheap online: they also have a pic of what it looks like.

http://www.vitacost.com/store/products/productdescription.cfm?SKUNumber=033674151815&searchby=PN&SearchText=oregano

also, if you go to naturesway.com and click on SHOP you can find a store locater on that page. that is how i found out which health store has it by my house.

this is the brand that 2Brickie recommended: nature's way OREGANO OIL. it has 50mg of oregano oil and 25 mg of flaxseed oil. you have to check the back to see if it has that. it doesn't say anything but oregano oil on the front. for me, it was in a different section than the rest of the nature's way stuff. it was in herbal remedies at my local store.

i feel great today! no gas, no headaches. i just feel good and i lost 1 pound!

superfly_c
Wed, Feb-25-04, 19:10
as for the dosage, i take 1 gelcap with my breakfast. that is it! i hope i lose tomorrow too, although i don't want to be too greedy :) please write in with your successes! i can't wait to read what it does to others!

Patte
Wed, Feb-25-04, 19:18
I am taking one 50 mg tablet in the morning. I started yesterday. Bad gas all day. Today, a few burps in the morning and that was it! I gained a lb from yesterday, but that was likely because I felt obligated to celebrate Mardi Gras with too many LC bars.

Today, I feel almost no hunger at all (very strange for me). Since I'm Catholic, I "fasted" for Ash Wednesday (2 small meals, one large, no snacks), and did it with no hunger pangs at all. I don't even feel the urge to eat any LC bars (thank God since I gave up sugar alcohols for Lent). This is a huge breakthrough for me and I wouldn't be surprised if I see the scale move in the right direction soon. :yay:

2brickie
Wed, Feb-25-04, 19:41
petcrazed sorry i cant help with the gas thing, i havent had any, no burping or the other ending hahaha. i take 1 capsule 50 mg oregano, 25 mg flax, i take 3000 mg flax oil gel caps, i multivitamin, 5 psyllium husk capsule in the morning with breakfast otherwise i dont sleep at night. i cant take it much after 10 am or im wide awake forever.

2brickie
Wed, Feb-25-04, 20:19
looks as if we have been moved maybe our thread got way to big. anyways please keep up the posts on how this has helped others

scorpio381
Thu, Feb-26-04, 08:15
I'm taking (2) 150 mg capsules each morning. I haven't had any bad side effects....no gas or burping. My appetite seems to have diminished slightly and my energy level is up. Down 2 pounds since Saturday morning. I do seem to have a very low-grade headache, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the oregano. Might just be stress.

scorpio381
Thu, Feb-26-04, 08:27
BTW...I hate that this has been moved, even though it's in the right place now. I hope we don't lose any of our guinea pigs! lol

determine3
Thu, Feb-26-04, 08:37
I just wanted to add to this thread that I've been using the now oregano oil (mine has ginger and fennel and is 181.0 mg recommended to take 2 daily with meals) for about 4 days now and I haven't noticed any significant weight loss (well down a pound) but I notice I'm not so hungry!

I don't have bad gas or anything but I was getting burpy hiccups. That's over and it's fine. I'm going to keep using the oil bc i'm hoping it will help clear my face, help with my sinuses and yeast overgrowth in my belly. My belly is the only thing I ever wanted to lose so maybe this will help.

Thanks 2brickie for sharing this with everyone.
Tasha

lilian
Thu, Feb-26-04, 11:20
Hi their
First of all after all the running around and searching for the oregano oil (hard to find) I started takin it since tuesday and since then I am down 2lbs. :yay: The firsts two days I felt so tired I had to take a nap but yesterday I woke up earley and just felt completley refreshed full of energy, Im so exited I hope the scale keeps going down.
PLs scale keep going down.LOL :lol:

Again Thanks Brikie for sharing this with us..

Lily

sixpence
Thu, Feb-26-04, 11:51
I just wanted to add to this thread that I've been using the now oregano oil (mine has ginger and fennel and is 181.0 mg recommended to take 2 daily with meals) for about 4 days now and I haven't noticed any significant weight loss (well down a pound) but I notice I'm not so hungry!

I don't have bad gas or anything but I was getting burpy hiccups. That's over and it's fine. I'm going to keep using the oil bc i'm hoping it will help clear my face, help with my sinuses and yeast overgrowth in my belly. My belly is the only thing I ever wanted to lose so maybe this will help.

Thanks 2brickie for sharing this with everyone.
Tasha Do you dilute your oil, or is your Now Brand Oregano Oil in the gelcaps already? I called a HFS here in Indy, the woman said that taking Now Oregano Oil straight can burn up your stomach (acidity?).

scorpio381
Thu, Feb-26-04, 11:59
Sixpence --
Do you WANT to take the liquid form or do you want capsules? I got my Solar Ray 150 mg capsules at Nutrition Unlimited on E. Washington Street here in Indy. The phone book says they also have a place in Zionsville. You might call them and see if they have the capsules if you're having trouble finding them. I don't feel comfortable putting their phone number here, but look under Heatlth & Diet Food Products - Retail in the Indy yellow pages.

Go Pacers!!!!

2brickie
Thu, Feb-26-04, 13:21
i like mine in the gel caps as it goes down much easier than putting that stuff on your tongue. today im feeling super and its been 3 weeks for me on it.

sixpence
Thu, Feb-26-04, 13:25
Sixpence --
Do you WANT to take the liquid form or do you want capsules? I got my Solar Ray 150 mg capsules at Nutrition Unlimited on E. Washington Street here in Indy. The phone book says they also have a place in Zionsville. You might call them and see if they have the capsules if you're having trouble finding them. I don't feel comfortable putting their phone number here, but look under Heatlth & Diet Food Products - Retail in the Indy yellow pages.

Go Pacers!!!! Once upon a time, I worked at the Best Buy and the Kohl's Department store on East Washington Street. It looks as if it is in with the Factory Card Outlet, which I've been to many times!!! Hey, you cannot beat 49 cent greeting cards for almost all occassions!!! Thanks for the tip. I went out on my lunch break to the GNC in Fishers, and they had the liquid drops (not the same as now which needs to be diluted before using) for $15 for one ounce. I thought that was a little steep, so I decided to pass and try someplace else. I called NU and they said that their bottle comes with 60 gelcaps for $8.09.

And, oh yes, Go PACERS!!!!

scorpio381
Thu, Feb-26-04, 13:55
Yep, those are the ones I bought....Solar Ray, 60 gelcaps for $8.09. Hope it works as well for you as it seems to be working for everyone here!

Actually the NU on E. Washington is by Washington Square Mall, where the Toys R Us used to be and A Hard Day's Night is (just in case you ever need it..lol). They closed the Kohl's store out there....bummer!

PACERS are lookin' good!

SuperSue04
Thu, Feb-26-04, 14:04
Hi, All!

OREGANO OIL UPDATE: I don't know if it the OO or if it is the combo of it with the Co-Q 10 and multidophilus + DDS-1, but I have lost 6.5 pounds this week. Prior to starting the above, I had stalled out for 3-4 weeks.

I'm no rocket scientist, and this may not be a loss related to the OO, but I'm definitely going to KEEP taking IT! :yay: If nothing else, it is good for my morale! :lol:

Sue

2brickie
Thu, Feb-26-04, 14:21
great supersue glad to hear that maybe its helping. i have really been feeling so good while taking it, i cant imagine not.

scorpio381
Thu, Feb-26-04, 14:38
Congrats, SuperSue!

What's DDS-1?

determine3
Thu, Feb-26-04, 15:00
Sixspence- the now oregano oil I take comes in gelcaps and has 90 capsules in the bottle. I paid about $17 for it at a local health store. It was so confusing, they had so many!!

Wyreless1
Thu, Feb-26-04, 15:08
I've been taking just one capsule of Oregaycn (it says it's 450mg of wild mountain oregano P73...whatever that means!) for the last 2 days and the burping of oregano is driving me crazy! I did also notice that even though I'm drinking my tons of water, that my urine has become very strong, almost burning.
Any suggestions???
Carol

H&Hmommy
Thu, Feb-26-04, 15:31
Hello Hoosiers!!
Add me to the list. Mine are Vitamin World Natural Whole Herb Oil of Oregano 150 mg. They were buy one get one free ~25.00. I didn't think $12.50 was bad at all. Mine are the extract in a base of olive oil. Next time I will try to find the ones with flax seed oil.
I will let you know how it goes. Good luck to all!!!!!!!!!!
Kim

trustycat
Thu, Feb-26-04, 15:32
Brickie, scorpio--totally feeling you, i hate that this has been moved too...want advice of atkins dieters :) we should get whoever moved it to put it back, or just start a new one...lol!

Carol-- maybe the dosage is too strong?

general--i got the kind Brickie has today, but it doesn't say to take it in the morning, just take it with food?....any particular reason to take it in the morning?
also, i read in another thread that flax seed oil CAUSES people to stall????? is that true or have people seen the opposite effect?

scorpio381
Thu, Feb-26-04, 15:47
Hello Fellow Hoosier and welcome to our little Oil of Oregano Club! LOL

Trusty - I really do wish they'd move this back to the original forum. Not a lot of people check out this particular forum and I think this thread is suffering because of it. Please, please, please move it back so everyone can participate?

Also, I believe Brickie stated in one of her first posts that she tried taking the oregano at night and it kept her awake. I've been taking it in the mornings, although I took one capsule at night a couple of days ago. It didn't keep me awake, but it probably affects everyone differently.

I also saw that post on flax seed oil causing stalls and am now wondering if I should stop taking it. Any feedback on that?

Thanks, everyone and keep on being big losers!!! :-)

2brickie
Thu, Feb-26-04, 15:48
trustycat first i think we are here to help others maybe this should have been under stalls and tips but not nurtion supplements, anyways i take mine in the morning because otherwise i just stay awake all night long, as it really gives me alot of energy.

i have taken flax oil capsules 3000 mg since i started has not effected my weightloss.

Wyreless1
Thu, Feb-26-04, 16:08
Hello Hoosiers!!
Add me to the list. Mine are Vitamin World Natural Whole Herb Oil of Oregano 150 mg. They were buy one get one free ~25.00. I didn't think $12.50 was bad at all. Mine are the extract in a base of olive oil. Next time I will try to find the ones with flax seed oil.
I will let you know how it goes. Good luck to all!!!!!!!!!!
Kim

Looks like I need to hit Vitamin World tomorrow! I'm guessing that mine is too strong...though that does explain my craving for something Italian! :lol:

Carol

MamaSara6
Thu, Feb-26-04, 16:25
I just thought I'd point out that I had no idea this thread had moved! I have my options set to "subscribe" anytime I post in a forum, with no email notification. If you just click on the "profile" button at the top it shows all the activity on your threads. So, it's easy for me to find this thread every day.

2brickie
Thu, Feb-26-04, 16:36
glad to know that i can do that mamasara6

Lindym
Thu, Feb-26-04, 19:58
Hi there

Could anyone tell me where I could purchase this in Ontario??? I have been to all the health food stores in my area and no one has the oregano/flaxseed combo.

Any suggestions????

I'm not sure where this is located. but their prices were the best we found, much cheaper than the same stuff we got local (seattle area)

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/oregano.html

Porcellino
Thu, Feb-26-04, 20:28
Ok, here is my experience:
but first, a BIG thank you :angel: to 2brickie for starting this thread!! I bought the ooo (oil of oregano :) ) - Planetary Formulas $14.79 for 60 capsules last week. It is standardized to 70% carvacrol which I was told by the health food store is the active ingredient. I tried it, because I will generally try any supplement to see if it works in losing a few but never expected to find out I suffered from yeast! I have had massive insomnia and pretty severe 'die off' symptoms. My bloating, which was pretty constant no matter what I ate for the past couple of years is gone, (which is a miracle in and of itself) but I am having a lot of postnasal drip and flu symptoms along with MASSIVE burps - nothing from the hind end, however :lol: . Today I just lay around in a massive fog. They say the symptoms can last from 5 days to 4 weeks (hope not THAT long). Tomorrow I am going back to the store and get a candida cleanse kit to help it along. The best news? A loss of 2 pounds after being stuck around 140 for two months. Yay :)
Since I started the Cortislim and PS around the same time, it is hard to say what got the weight moving, but I suspect that given the die off symptoms, I have the oregano to thank - and 2brickie

beanerz
Thu, Feb-26-04, 21:00
been doing ooo (oil of oregano since Monday) I havent gained weight but I haven't loss....yet. But I do have energy and not as hungry....well let you all know if I start losing.

asalvato
Thu, Feb-26-04, 21:17
I agree that moving this thread was a bummer. Anyone know who we request it be moved back? Also how about someone starting a new thread in the main forum. I have ordered OOO but will not be using it for a while. I am having surgery in 2 weeks and my doctor doesn't want me taking any supplements other than a multi vitamin until 2 weeks after.

2brickie
Thu, Feb-26-04, 21:22
i dont know who we would talk to about moving it, but im afraid it just got to big. anyway, good luck with your surgery asalvato, and good luck to us all with the OOO. i love that shortened. anyways just a note, this morning i had a strange thing happen while i was showering i looked down and went holy cow my stomach is gone, so even though i havent lost my last pound i am really losing inches.

senimoni
Thu, Feb-26-04, 22:34
Yeah I irritates me when stuff like this is moved.

MamaSara6
Fri, Feb-27-04, 05:40
I really haven't lost anything yet...I'm still the same, actually up a little bit.

I wonder if the quality of the OOO has anything to do with it, or maybe I just don't have a yeast problem, so it won't help me. I got the Solaray for $8.99, passing up the one the lady recommended for $29.99! Anyone else having great results w/ the solaray?

sixpence
Fri, Feb-27-04, 07:25
Hello Fellow Hoosier and welcome to our little Oil of Oregano Club! LOL The first rule of the OOC is you talk to everyone you know about the OOC (sorry, a Fight Club reference)...[ducking to avoid punches thrown]

scorpio381
Fri, Feb-27-04, 08:06
:lol: ~ Sixpence!

scorpio381
Fri, Feb-27-04, 08:11
Brickie,
I realized I'd never thanked you for starting this thread and helping us all in our "battle of the bulge". :lol: So....thank you, thank you, thank you.

As for moving this thread, maybe you could send an email to a Forum Moderator and ask them to at least move it to the Tips and Stalls Forum. I believe it would be more appropriate there.

As for me, I'm still doing well on the OOO. I noticed my pants buttoning a little easier yesterday, so I took my waist measurement this morning.....down 1/2 inch. Woo Hoo! :wiggle:

I'm happy for everyone who's losing weight or inches with this, and hope everyone who isn't, gets going SOON!

Good luck and HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H&Hmommy
Fri, Feb-27-04, 08:29
I just started taking ooo yesterday, but I did notice some changes already. First of all I never stoped moving...my house looks great!lol I did sufer from a bit of heartburn, and alot of Oregano burps. I had no desire to eat...mostly because I was so busy cleaning I think. I had 2 cups coffee, 2 cups hot tea and lots of water...lunch and a small snack and thats it. Here is the kicker I was down 3 lbs. this morning!!! That's right 3 lbs!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: That put me right at my goal weight, which I have now lowered a bit. I have already had a light breakfast and plan to have dinner out with my family tonight and I expect the scales to stay the same over the next couple of days after such a big lose.
Just wanted to share not sure if it has anything to do with the ooo, but I am one happy .
Also could someone tell me where this was located before in case it gets moved back, because I found it here in the Atkins forum. thanks!
Kim

jedswife
Fri, Feb-27-04, 09:01
hey all!!!

this is the 4th or 5th day taking OO and i am down like another 2.5 lbs.

i dont know if the stuff really helps or if it is all in my head but well if i think helps then it does help.

i do notice no real cravings for carbs and i was really having a problem with cravings lately.

i am gonna keep takin it.

beanerz
Fri, Feb-27-04, 09:39
ok been taking ooo since monday, my weight has not gone down but I am optimistic as my stomache around lost a whole inche in less than five days. I haven't done anything different, but my stomache measurements have been the ones to stall.... :yay:

scorpio381
Fri, Feb-27-04, 09:55
I have found ooo capsules online for as little as $3.49 for 60 caps! Check this place out....

http://vitanetonline.com/search.cfm

Now, I have never used this place before, so I know nothing about them, but I'm willing to give them a try. I also found great prices on acidophilus, garlic and potassium.

Lindym
Fri, Feb-27-04, 10:47
I really haven't lost anything yet...I'm still the same, actually up a little bit.

I wonder if the quality of the OOO has anything to do with it, or maybe I just don't have a yeast problem, so it won't help me. I got the Solaray for $8.99, passing up the one the lady recommended for $29.99! Anyone else having great results w/ the solaray?

I haven't lost either, but am having the post nasel drip garbage. We went ahead and bought the more expensive brand as it was "wild" vs standardized, which I think is cultivated>

cincin11
Fri, Feb-27-04, 11:02
Also could someone tell me where this was located before in case it gets moved back, because I found it here in the Atkins forum. thanks!
Kim

Hi, Kim

Right now it is in nutrition and supplements. It started in the Atkins forum .Now the others want it to go to Tips and Stalls. It is probably still in the Atkins forum showing it has been moved.

I get an email that lets me know when someone posts to this thread so I will find it no matter where it is. I didn't even realize it had been moved til someone mentioned it.

Cindy

H&Hmommy
Fri, Feb-27-04, 11:12
Thanks for the info Cindy. :)
Kim

2brickie
Fri, Feb-27-04, 12:09
hey all i get the emails to so i guess we just have to deal with it, just letting you know i havent lost my last pound still but i put on a size 5 pair of leather pants today and bought them right on the spot. so im hooked. i also spoke to the owner of our local health food store and he said check the ingredients in your oil of oregano some brands will have fillers in them. that is why im with the natures way nothing but oregano and flax. he also said the now brand is the same no fillers. i didnt buy the 29 dollar bottle because i was told the natures way was a purer oil by the store lady, and it has worked for me. keep up the good work

superfly_c
Fri, Feb-27-04, 12:13
hi all! OOO BROKE MY STALL!!!! i have lost 3 pounds in 3 days! i hadn't lost for 2 weeks! i am SO happy! also, i broke the 200 mark! i am now under 200!!!!!!!!! AND i have had SO much energy! the weird part is i get a boat load of energy around 8pm at night. i have been eating breakfast around noon and i take it then. i want to start taking it and eating earlier. i am SO happy! the energy it gives me makes me so giddy! i haven't felt like this in a long time! so far it hasn't gone away either. i have had that giddy energy each day i take it! thanks a huge bunch 2Brickie! now i am going to pick out a new purse to celebrate my new ONEDERLAND!! hooray! :cheer:

2brickie
Fri, Feb-27-04, 12:17
Congrats superfly. I was getting that same thing around 8 and 9 pm so now I try to take mine by no later than 9 am.

Wyreless1
Fri, Feb-27-04, 13:36
hi all! OOO BROKE MY STALL!!!! i have lost 3 pounds in 3 days! i hadn't lost for 2 weeks! i am SO happy! also, i broke the 200 mark! i am now under 200!!!!!!!!! AND i have had SO much energy! the weird part is i get a boat load of energy around 8pm at night. i have been eating breakfast around noon and i take it then. i want to start taking it and eating earlier. i am SO happy! the energy it gives me makes me so giddy! i haven't felt like this in a long time! so far it hasn't gone away either. i have had that giddy energy each day i take it! thanks a huge bunch 2Brickie! now i am going to pick out a new purse to celebrate my new ONEDERLAND!! hooray! :cheer:

Way To Go! Congratulations!!! :Party:

What dosage are you taking? I just went to Vitamin World and got the 150 mg and took one with lunch. So far, I'm not having the burps and such that I did from the one that had 450mg of OO in it. BTW, I am down a pound from yesterday and off to Curves shortly!

Carol

2brickie
Fri, Feb-27-04, 13:44
congrats to all us losers YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Byph
Fri, Feb-27-04, 13:58
Hi all! I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster with a question about my OOO. The brand I have says it contains 400mg Oil of Oregano, but in parentheses, it says "contains 45mg pure Oregano Oil which delivers 32 mg Carvacrol".
Below that, it says: Wild Mediterranean Oregano Leaf guaranteed to contain at least 70% carvacrol.
Other ingredients are: Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, modified vegetable cellulose and candelilla wax (thickener).
I have been taking three of these daily with no affect whatsoever, no energy, no sudden weight drop, no burping (you get the idea). I'm wondering if I should heed the "acute symptom" dosage listed on the side as 2-3 capsules 3 times daily with water??

While I was shopping for these capsules, I found the Solaray, but passed them up for these with the higher mg of OOO. Should I have been more concerned with the amount of carvacrol they contained?

trustycat
Fri, Feb-27-04, 14:01
well i took it this morning with a HUGE breakfast (yeah, i overate but ahh well)-- no side effects yet except for very very minor burps and i just took a little nap....hoping this energy will kick in later at night! What was neat though was that I usually have terribly bloating when i over-eat but i had nothing after this morning!

superfly_c
Fri, Feb-27-04, 14:01
i am taking the same one that 2Brickie takes: Nature's Way "Oregano Oil" with 50mg oregano oil and 25 flaxseed oil. i paid 14.99, but i have seen it cheaper online. i am so happy with the results, i reread atkins section on vitamins and i am going to take the 4 that he recommends to lose weight: Atkins Basic 3, Atkins Ess. Oils, CoQ10, and L-carnitine. I will let you know how it goes! it will take a while since i am going to order from some cheaper online place.

way to go everyone that is losing!!!!!! having this energy is SO nice! thanks again 2Brickie! you are my hero! :):)

superfly_c
Fri, Feb-27-04, 14:09
oh! what i forgot to tell you guys is the best part of all!!!! i have lost 3 pounds AND i lost my entire chubby stomach! i was told at the pool that i needed to get a new bathing suit soon! i looked in the mirror when i got home and where my stomach used to be is just a sagging bathing suit! i thought wow!! bathing suits are the most elastic things to wear and mine is baggy!!!!!!!! hooray! i am so happy about this! that was my fattest part! that made my pants fit tight! maybe all of my yeast build-up was in my tummy! HOORAY!

also, i bought atkins vitanutrients book since he has been right about everything so far. it says it tells you what vitamin to take for what problem or sickness you might have. i like how he says everything is related to your diet, exercise, and vitamins, NOT what drugs the doc gives you! WOW! at least when i get some ailment if the future, i will have that great resource!
::
thanks for showing me the benefits of vitimins, 2Brickie! :cheer:

2brickie
Fri, Feb-27-04, 14:27
i just got a note back from my friend who is the essential oils lady, she says the oregano oil is very good for the digestive area and bowel area so that probably would explain why all of our tummys are leaving. actually my mom was told that spare tire look is usually a yeast build up. i got the purest one available because i figured i didnt want to take anything processed to much as thats why im lcing. also i think the kind with wax might hinder some things, keep taking it though for at least 1 week or so.

scorpio381
Fri, Feb-27-04, 14:32
Congrats, Superfly! That probably explains why my waist measurement was down 1/2 inch this morning. I can't really tell a difference looking in the mirror, but if the tape measure says so, it must be right!

Have a great weekend everyone!

H&Hmommy
Fri, Feb-27-04, 14:56
Yeah for you superfly_c !!!!!!
Kim

determine3
Fri, Feb-27-04, 15:01
Wow!!!!!!!!!!

I have energy galore (went thru some foggy/sluggish days at first), i'm not hungry, i'm losing weight and I feel fabulous. Now, i'm waiting for my skin to clear up and look as fabulous as I feel!!

ooo is the best!!!!!!!!!!

2brickie
Fri, Feb-27-04, 15:52
determine3 keep up the super good work and you might reach your 1st goal on time, otherwise you will probably reach it shortly afterwards.

trustycat
Fri, Feb-27-04, 16:37
superfly-- congrats on that compliment!!!! :) You must feel soooo wonderful

gotta add, this does really help curb your appetite-- wow! hope die-off effects don't kick in for me though, still worried about that.

Dee30
Fri, Feb-27-04, 17:18
Hi guys i'm jumping on the bandwagon too. I lost the thread and was suprised to see it here. I'm glad I found u guys

I went to GNC today. Mine is 140mg Wild Oregano oil (gelcaps) free of all chemicals, solvents, and additives. It is emulsified in extra virgin olive oil. Unfortunately they didnt have the one that was made my Natures way but the lady said that it is made by the original makers. Wish me luck

2brickie
Fri, Feb-27-04, 18:11
GOOD LUCK DEE30. Hope you have the results we have.

box948545
Fri, Feb-27-04, 22:00
Oh, what the heck... I'm ordering my oregano right now from Puritan Pride. FYI, they're having a 70% sale if you go trough http://www.puritancatalog.com Also, there's free shipping if you order $50 or more. And just to make it sweeter, there's a coupon for $5 of $25! VITCAT1

petcrazed
Fri, Feb-27-04, 22:02
for those looking i started a new Oil of Oregano thread in Atkins forums.
I bought the 181mg ones and i will be starting them on sunday we will see!

trustycat
Fri, Feb-27-04, 23:18
So i took my first oregano oil today--the kind brickie has....minor burping, but no bloating! and i *think* it suppressed appetite.... I think its really gonna help my yeast problem

BUT I was at the book store and saw a book on oils so decided to look up oregano--i was shocked to find that it is sometimes used to treat anorexia!
did some more research on-line, and saw a site that said this: "Its main effect seems to be on the digestive system, soothing the stomach, calming intestinal spasms, combating stomach gas and encouraging appetite."

encouraging appetite is not a good thing! I'm gonna keep taking it cause i'm at my goal weight now and yeast is more important to me than gaining a few pounds (and i really didn't feel that hungry today!) but for those of u who said they felt hungrier after taking it, i guess there might be a reason why--- maybe it just affects everyone differently? Maybe it depends on how much yeast build-up u have?

any research/follow-ups on this would be much appreciated cause while i'm gonna keep at it for my yeast, i don't want to suddenly feel hungry all the time :)

trustycat
Fri, Feb-27-04, 23:21
one more thing--this might explain the BM (finally, something besides those husks!) and energy: "Very anti-infectious. Stimulates the immune system to prevent colds, flu and infections. Digestive. Soothing to the liver, spleen and stomach. Laxative and diuretic. Needs high dilution. Emotions: Stimulating nerve tonic. Feeling of well-being."

trustycat
Fri, Feb-27-04, 23:34
if anyone's still interested (sorry for all this), i found some more websites that said:

"Oregano is a valued digestive aide, as its consumption stimulates the appetite, enhances digestion, and acts as a diuretic"

'Its main effect seems to be on the digestive system, soothing the stomach, liver and spleen. Calms intestinal spasm. May combat acidity, stomach gas and encourage appetite"

"It stimulates the stomach and appetite, treats hiccups and helps the functioning of the stomach in cases of dyspepsia."

"Digestive aid: stimulates the appetite, enhances digestion and acts as a diuretic"

"This antiviral remedy helps stimulate the stomach and the appetite "

--OK, now i'm getting nervous: give me some support, guys :)

do u think its possible that the weight loss people have reported is cause its a laxative/diuretic?..... what if it really does stimulate appetite--brickie, since you've been taking it the longest, what has been your experience?

heatherbee
Sat, Feb-28-04, 09:51
I've been taking OOO for a week now...no loss! Not even an ounce. I've also been much hungrier the entire time. My stomach felt very empty even when it shouldn't of. I was trying not to eat more food and lost that battle last night because I felt so unsatisfied, which has been so opposite of my experience on Atkins so far. It also made me feel a little yucky. Not sure if it's from the stomach stuff. But after reading all of this, I am going to hold off on taking it for now. I really don't need an appetite stimulant!

We are all looking for the answer to weight loss and faster loss. It's really hard to determine if one thing is causing the loss since our bodies go through cycles. I am really happy for those of you who lost some lbs. while taking OOO. But I am not sure that it is the cause of the loss. I may be one of the unlucky few who didn't loose anything while using it, which is a bummer!

Anyone else not seeing results and not feeling better since taking OOO?

csolyn
Sat, Feb-28-04, 10:00
I started taking mine yesterday because I have yeast issues. I have been stalled for almost two months and BAM 2lbs gone :) I felt kinda sleepy after my second pills at lunch, but that is probably a yeast die off effect. I am going to continue taking mine and see how I do. I wasn't any more hungry than I usually am, and since I love oregano the burping was nice!

Good luck to everyone. As with anything OOO may not be for everyone. I don't know if it's a cure for stalls, but if you may have a yeast problem, IBS, or poor immune health then try taking it. I talked to my herbalist about this and she said 2 weeks on 2 weeks off for the first time user, then integrate it in smaller doses into the diet. If you have any ill effects stop using it.

2brickie
Sat, Feb-28-04, 10:43
In my experience I havent wanted to eat, I force myself to eat three meals a day since i have been taking it. I weighed this morning and im now at 123 i guess its just wanted me to wait it out. Maybe it isnt for everyone, but for me Im going to continue right on with it. I put on jeans this morning I havent worn in 5 years, but since I wear Rockies and Wranglers they are too expensive to just throw out so they were hanging there and went right on. We went to a dinner party with some friends that work for my husband and I had more of those men saying oh my gosh you look great, that I will continue my OOO for awhile. Also the great skin, and energy really works for me. So hopefully it will work for some and I hope the rest find something that does work.

rose7
Sat, Feb-28-04, 11:40
Thanks again Brickie for replying to my post earlier :p .

Good luck to everyone. As with anything OOO may not be for everyone. I don't know if it's a cure for stalls, but if you may have a yeast problem, IBS, or poor immune health then try taking it. After reading this, I may purchase some myself :) , I suffer from IBS, constant diarrhea or constipation :blush: , not to mention abdominal cramps. Thanks for the advice!

:rose: Rose

bubu
Sat, Feb-28-04, 12:51
Hey all been following the thread, ordered 2brickies kind, took 1 yesterday and after a 2.5 month stall lost 1.5 overnight and this during TOM which usually makes it go up.
Going to continue and have given one to my daughter today, she has also been stalled for the same period of time.
will continue reporting how it works for us. No burping and gas problems either.

Dee30
Sat, Feb-28-04, 12:55
I'm burping and ah burping but i'm hopeful. I will let u know in a couple of days how i'm doing. I will be happy with a lb gone lol

For the ones that are burping like me. How long did it last?

LuvMyHubby
Sat, Feb-28-04, 12:57
I've just read the chapter on yeast in DANDR and it sounds like my picture needs to be posted at the beginning of the chapter. I just ordered oregano oil and I'm hoping it helps.

petcrazed
Sat, Feb-28-04, 13:21
How soon after taking a pill does the burping start?
I would like to start today but i have a wedding to go to and dont want to be burping and farting up a storm.

Wyreless1
Sat, Feb-28-04, 13:26
How soon after taking a pill does the burping start?
I would like to start today but i have a wedding to go to and dont want to be burping and farting up a storm.

Mine was pretty much right away! I'd avoid taking it before going to a wedding...could be rather embarassing! :lol:

Carol

Down another 1/2 pound today!

jeanyyy
Sat, Feb-28-04, 13:53
OK, I am going to see if I can find this stuff today - it sounds like it's worth a shot!! Wish me luck!

trustycat
Sat, Feb-28-04, 14:18
Brickie-- how long have u been taking it for? A couple people mentioned the 2 week on and the 2 week off, but i thought u had said earlier it took u several weeks to notice the effect?

2brickie
Sat, Feb-28-04, 15:09
i have taken it for 3 and half weeks with no problems, i asked the owner of the health food store and he said he has people who take it every day for immunity and nasal drip. i havent had the burping or farting symptoms though. i think it probably reacts to each differently. like i said i havent been craving anything or havent been hungry at all. i had 1 piece of sausage for breakfast, ham and cheese roll up with lettuce around the outside for lunch because my husband knows i need to eat or i get irritable and he told me to eat it, and im going to dinner and bowling in a little while, but im not hungry at all. goooooooooooooood luck to us all and keep posting your results.