PDA

View Full Version : New to this WOE

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Divina99
Mon, Sep-22-03, 08:54
Hello All!

I'm happy to be here. I'm new to CAD/CALP and have some questions regarding fats. I have read the book but, it has been awhile and I need to buy it or borrow it from the library.

I have made the switch over from Atkins so I'm not sure how much fat is recommeded on this plan? Should I buy low fat products or should I just focus on the amount of carbs?
Do I have to remove the skin and fat from poultry/meats?
Is flaxseed meal..nut flours...whey protein powder allowed on CM?
Is Stevia ok to use as AS? I use it to sweeten liquids (juice, tea etc).

I've read a couple of post where CAD's make quiches and protein drinks for breakfast...the recipes include cream, whey protein powder...is it ok to have these ingredients outside RM?

Calories and Carbs don't matter on this plan so do I start a meal when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full? I think I could go on eating forever and I'm scared of overdoing the calories. Should this be a concern?

I'm sorry for all the questions it's just that from low fat/low cal to the zone diet to Atkins... I'm a bit mixed up.

Where can I find CM CAD recipes?

I really believe that CAD/CALP will work for me...I'm looking forward to my progress and new woe.

muweek
Mon, Sep-22-03, 10:17
Welcome! you really need to get the book to read then you can also go the beginning of this section to get the cheat sheet and that gives you a basic rundown of what you can have. I still refer to the book every once in a while when i need refreshing.I was told that the shakes are not allowed outside of rm so i have stopped them.You have to balance your meals 1/3, 1/3,1/3 and rm in 1 hour from first taste of what you cooking to the last sip of your drink. The book really spells it out so borrow one if you have to just to get you started. I have tried some of the recipes with not much luck. I have decide that my choices at rm will be real food only smaller portions. Tastes better and is what is available in my house. I was reading another site that said CAD is not Atkins with a rm. This was sort of in the back of my mind so I reread the book and follow more closely now. Some people modify the plan to be what they nee3d so try by the book for awhile then see what you need to change. Good luck!!

Divina99
Mon, Sep-22-03, 10:31
Thank you so much for your quick reply muweek!

I just found the list of cheats and other tips so I printed them out and stuck them on my fridge. It's true I thought CAD was just Atkins with a reward meal. I was thinking that I would just make the same Atkin recipes..NOT :o . I'm fine eating simple foods plus I know I can save that little treat for later at my RM.
I found that after having decaf tea with a tablespoon of cream and a pinch of Stevia did not make me hungry or cravy. So I guess I can fit that in. I'll just have to play around with a few food items for a while and see if I still lose weight.

Thanks again for your quick response :D

I will definitely get the book!

Vel
Mon, Sep-22-03, 11:19
Hello :)

Welcome to CAD. I hope you like it a lot and find it really helps you get where you want to go.

Just a caution... you mentioned that tea with a tablespoon of cream and Stevia doesn't make you hungry or cravy so you could fit it in. Make sure you only have one cup a day outside your reward meal, and finish it within 15 minutes. Unfortunately, you can't judge only by how you feel after you have something that is not on CAD plan. Those sneaky carbs (in the cream), or the taste of the sweetner, can make our insulin start up, which is what it is all about for carb addicts. You can have all the black tea/coffee you want though.

Good luck and feel free to peruse journals and ask questions. None of us bite :)

Divina99
Mon, Sep-22-03, 14:14
Hi Val...thank you for welcoming to this CAD forum.

You are right about the stevia and cream. I'm thinking its better to play it safe and just stick to what's on the CAD lists of foods...at least for the first two weeks.

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate all the help I can get :sunny:

Andrea

Tess M
Mon, Sep-22-03, 14:16
Hi Divina! Just wanted to welcome you to CAD, and wish you the best success.. :p Hope that you will find that it's what you're looking for.
I make the CAD quiche a lot, and have it for cms. It does have 2 oz. of cream in it (for the entire 4 svgs) from 1 quiche--which only equals to 1/2 oz. of cream per serving. I really don't have more than 1 svg. per day, and I don't care for cream in my coffee--so I am ok with it. If you are having coffee/cream, you would have to allow for that. The quiche is a great meal for me, because I have problems getting down regular eggs. I can have them plain some days, but not very often. It also has cheese, which some might be sensitive to (fortunately, I don't seem to be)... The quiche recipe comes straight from the CAD cookbook, and I only alter it in ways that I know are CAD approved. It's a bit high fat for cm, too--but I only have one cm per day, so I think it's ok for me. A good alternative, at least sometimes. Most people here look at cms as something to "hold" them until rm time. So--the simpler, the better in lots of people's minds.. Once you get the book to re-read, it will all be very clear for you again, I think. The newest CALP book is great for info on balancing rms. Very helpful (at least to me).. If you can get your hands on one, it's a good read.
Wishing you much happiness and success in your "switch".... Hope it works well for you!
Vel says that none of us bite--which is mostly true--unless someone gets between me and my plate at rm time!!!! :lol: Enjoy!!

Divina99
Mon, Sep-22-03, 14:33
Hi Tess...wow that quiche sounds yummy. :yum:

You guys are terrific. I didn't expect such fast response! I really love this forum :thup:

I love the last line you wrote :lol:

You should have seen me eating my RM yesterday. Today I will take my time to really taste my food and of course balance it. I have to get used to the switch...I ate like there was no tomorrow. I was worried my 60 mins would be up and I wouldn't get my bowl of cereal in! Crazy me. :daze:

Thanks for writing :)

Divina99
Mon, Sep-22-03, 16:12
One more question? :blush:

If I decide to eat a snack as a fourth meal. Does it matter when I eat it? Can it be after RM?

I have CM for breakfast, CM for lunch, RM for dinner

Can I have a snack 'if' I get hungry after an RM for example?

Is there a specific time/order whereby a snack can be eaten?

:confused:

Jalera2003
Mon, Sep-22-03, 16:44
Another Welcome!

You can have your snack whenever you need it but there needs to be at least 1 hour and 20 minutes between it and the last or next meal or your body will treat it as part of that next or last meal and cause your insulin level to increase (the very thing we Carb Addicts want to avoid).

Tess M
Mon, Sep-22-03, 17:15
Oh yeah--cereal!!! Food of my dreams! Special K w/red berries is my favorite. I used to go through 2 boxes a week. Now a box lasts about a month. I just have to save it for special occasions, because I still don't have a lot of control over it. It's my main crave food...

Divina99
Mon, Sep-22-03, 20:08
Hi Jalera thanks so much for the info on snacks. :rose: :)

Hi Tess, I'm also amazed our cereal box made it through the week...half full too! :lol: (my older son is on CAD/CALP too and he loves cereal). My downfall is cakes and pastries. Even on Atkins I baked up LC cakes for myself and I couldn't stop at one. Now on CAD I understand the reason why.

I'm so happy I came upon CAD woe and such supportive and friendly people here in this forum. :rheart:

Thanks

Andrea

IthinkIcan
Mon, Sep-22-03, 20:24
:lol: ~ Vel's phrase about gettin between us and the food at rm time. I guess my dh is still trying to understand this whole thing, but he often watches me at rm and makes strange faces. Like for instance...the apple pie I bought last week, I've had one slice and ate mostly the apples outta it. So tonight I warmed up a piece and the dough was "gooey", so I tossed it and said..well looks like I'll be eating ice cream and some of my emergency candy. He's like ...ummm what's emergency candy? And do you HAVE to have desert with each meal on this plan?

I just laughed and said...emergency candy is candy for emergencies...period.
And no, I don't HAVE to have sweets, but I like them, and can eat them without overeating which is what I used to do, so I will HAVE them. :bash:

I told this story in my journal about how I was rushed to get my coffee in the 15 mins and how everything seemed to be working against and in hindsight, its funny, but then it was serious business :lol:

Divina99
Mon, Sep-22-03, 20:40
IthinkIcan I'm going to have to read your journal. :)

My DH called me after work and asked what I needed from the store...

I gave him my list...

Ice cream, brownies, and strawberry shortcake!

He had to mention the eggs...I forgot :daze:

I has been a very long time I had any sweets in my cupboards..so now I'm stocked up. I have my sweet stash! (does it sound like I've been deprived of sweets for too long?). :hyper:

newcarbgir
Tue, Sep-23-03, 00:39
Hi Divina, and welcome to CAD :wave: I'm sure you're going to love it. Be careful with that sweet stash, though - I've only been on this woe for two weeks, and my cupboard is now littered with half (or even a quarter) finished packets and boxes ... seems like I have to have a new sweet every day 'cos I've been deprived of them for so long :lol: Today I'm going to go shopping for cake and biscuit boxes - not something I've ever needed in the past, as I've always scoffed any treats as soon as they entered the house. So beware - you could end up with a mountain of rewards taking up a lot of house room, if you're anything like me :roll:

IthinkIcan
Tue, Sep-23-03, 05:56
:lol: Whooda ever thought the problem with a "diet" would be to many leftover treats in the cupboard?
Its already kinda worn out its newness on me. The sweets anyway. I am now thinking about a nice stiry-fry w/ rice, or chili with beans, or some homemade cornbread to go with a bowl of greens. Its just plain fun. I am amazed I can think of these things I want to eat, enjoy them and that's that. No more. It does seem too good to be true, but so far for me, its true.
I think after being on Atkins, it really does hit you hard at first, all the zillions of things you'd love to taste again. I am only a week through, but I kinda see already what happens, it smooths itself out. The body starts healing. Sigh ..I love the woe, can you tell?

Divina99
Tue, Sep-23-03, 06:22
Good Morning everyone!

My 3 day of this WOE and loving it! :rheart:

Hi Stephanie and Tess...I still feel like it's too good to be true..but like Tess mentioned it is TRUE.

After I had my treats yesterday I wondered if it was ok. I can picture that little voice inside my head going :nono: I kind of felt guilty asking DH to bring back the very sweets I avoided like the plague for so long.

But, I really believe in this WOE and I know it will work for me. This time I know this is the one. I wouldn't want it any other way.

The other day for my RM I was asking my DH to ask my in-laws if they had bought bananas. I must buy some soon. For a while I had been adding the oil flavorings..banana..maple..egg nog to my cooking. Now that banana sundae has my name written all over it! :lol:

fly737s
Tue, Sep-23-03, 08:54
Hi Divina,
I am pretty new to this also (just started a week or so ago). I just wanted to give you a heads up that you might gain a few lbs at the start. At least I sure did I went from 153 to 162 in one lousy week, however, I happy to report as of an hour ago I am back down to 157. Now, I realized that I had a bunch of high sodium foods plus tom and this I am sure was the culprit, but do not stress too much if you see the scale go up. I also came from atkins and it seems that it takes your body a bit of time to adjust, or least it did for me. You might be lucky and just keep going down, if not no big deal, it will. I am really enjoying this woe and I am sure you will too. Have fun,
Pam

Divina99
Tue, Sep-23-03, 09:58
Hi Pam...thanks for the for warning :skull: lol

I'll be mentally prepared if I do gain this week. So far I have stayed at the same weight. It's weird because during the week I would often lose weight then by the end of the week the scale would go up again. I tend to retain a lot of water. I'm actually amazed I didn't gain after the treats I allowed myself yesterday and the day before for RM. I find I'm no longer fixated on food too...no more than just planning what I'm going to make for lunch or dinner but, that's it. On my previous plan I spent half my time surfing for lc recipes since I was constantly eating (due to insulin spikes). I'am thankful I didn't gain any weight with the huge amounts I ate. I learned a lot about what I can get away with and what I cannot. So everything has been a very good lesson in my life. Now with CAD/CALP my struggle is over. It's time to reap the rewards! :Party:

Congratulations on your weight loss...way to go!! :clap:

quikdeb
Tue, Sep-23-03, 14:31
You all sound so happy and contend on CAD and the good news is the feeling doesn't go away. It's not a fast loss program, but it's so satisfying to eat like a normal person that (for the most part) the slower loss is something we can live with. I tend to forget that from time to time, but as I said....for the most part.

This WOE has been a blessing in my life and taken away the insanity that I have lived with for over 40 years.

Best of luck to you all,
Deb

Divina99
Tue, Sep-23-03, 18:13
Thanks Deb,

I don't mind a slow weight loss either as long as I can live a close to "normal" life together with my family. I'm happy I can have the same foods everyone else is having. :yum:

Wish I had found this WOE sooner!

rchapa6111
Wed, May-05-04, 04:46
hello D99 just wanted to say what wonderful job your doing.

Divina99
Wed, May-05-04, 07:33
OMG!! :D I can't believe this first post I made resurfaced!!LoL

Thank you rchap! :)

monica26
Sat, May-22-04, 10:05
Ok now Im thinking on switching diets,lord I can actually eat a real meal once a day on cad??And whats CALP? Is there a place online I can get most of the info on this CAD diet my hubby wont allow me to buy another diet book lol... Im getting a little excited! :)

Dianee
Sat, May-22-04, 10:34
Hi Monica,

Gee, I wish you could read the book. Is there anyway you could check it out at your local library, or get one from a used book store? It really has so much info in it that you need to know.

CALP, Carbohydrates Addicts Life Span Program. It is very similar to CAD, but it puts a litte more emphasis on balancing. It is a good book to read also.

I don't know of anywhere on line that it explains this diet, because I guess they want you to buy the book. :D If you are going to start this diet without reading the book, just be careful. It is not exactly like doing Atkins. You are not allowed to eat anymore than 4 times per day. you have 2 CM's which stand for Complimentary Meals, which is very Low Carb. Another words, make it some kind of protein, like eggs, beef, chicken, fish etc and than have a salad. You don't have to eat a salad for breakfast, but you can include CM friendly veggies, if you want. This is why it is important to read the book. It has a full list of CM friendly veggies that you can eat. Once a day you are allowed to have a Reward Meal. You are suppose to start off your RM with a salad, and than the rest of the meal should be split into 1/3's. 1/3 protein, 1/3 CM veggies and 1/3 carb. The carb is your choice. You are not limited on quanities, but shoud keep it in 3rds. If you want more carbs, you need to eat more protein and veggies with it.

A word of caution. Do not make your RM a big carb feast. This diet was not intended for that. The purpose of this diet is to get your body into balance and if you follow the guidelines it will do that.

Why don't you go into my journal and read it and than go and look at some of the other journals. It really does help. There are a lot of us on CAD who bounce around from one journal to another. You can ask any questions that you want. Set yourself up a journal too. More people respond to journals than they do in here.

Good luck and if you have any questions, just ask them. We will all try to help you out, but get that journal going and than go visit some of the other journals.

Good Luck. CAD is a very livable program and I think you will really like it once you get use to it.

monica26
Sat, May-22-04, 11:33
OOOh I called the library and they have it :) thanks and Ill still read your journal ;)

Dianee
Sat, May-22-04, 12:45
Oh Great. Glad you could find it. There are a lot of people on here that have done so good, and you might want to go and visit there journals, also. You will see some of them when you come and visit my journal. Just look at the bottom of their posts and click onto the journal. Just introuduce yourself and I am sure most of them will respond unless they are gone. :D

Good Luck.

MikieGirl
Wed, Jun-02-04, 13:59
LOL. Divina....I thought the same thing. :D