PDA

View Full Version : Carrots

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

newcarbgir
Mon, Sep-08-03, 05:32
Hi, I'm new here, and I'm thinking of changing from Atkins to CALP. I've done the CA test and it definitely sounds like me!

Could someone tell me where carrots figure on this diet? According to CALP they can only be eaten during reward meals, but several other low-carb or low-glycemic programs have reclassified them because although they have a high glycemic index they have a low glycemic load ... you can eat a lot of them before getting too many carbs. Does anyone know whether they're ok to eat for non-reward meals?

Vel
Mon, Sep-08-03, 06:34
Sorry, no such luck. They are not on the list of allowed foods for CM's, therefore they should be left for RMs only. You can get that list on the "cheat sheet" thread if you don't have it already, it is really helpful.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

newcarbgir
Tue, Sep-09-03, 14:00
This seems like a great WOE to me, but I'd really like to understand a bit better how it works. I can see that it makes sense to stick to the cheat sheet, cos then you don't have to weigh anything and you know what you can and can't eat. But can anyone tell me if the diet works if you occasionally have a slightly higher-carb veggie for a cm but just eat less of it? 60 gms of carrots, for instance, has around 4.5 gms of carbs. I know this diet is supposed to get you away from measuring, but I'd still like to know whether it would make any difference to my weight loss if I had 60 gms carrots with my cm rather than (lots more) mushrooms or cauliflower? The reason I'm asking is because I'm sensitive to several of the vegetables on the cheat sheet (for instance, the whole cabbage family, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, broccoli. etc set off a nasty attack of IBS, and green beans give me hives), so I'm trying to find a way of making this work for me. Any help much appreciated :wiggle:

Zuleikaa
Tue, Sep-09-03, 17:21
Sorry. Even a bit of carrots like shreds in a salad can stall. You'd be better off having yellow squash or zuchinni even though those aren't on the list (well zuchinni anyway). You should probably read the overview. It explains the chemistry, but basically anything that even tastes a bit sweet can stall you.

newcarbgir
Wed, Sep-10-03, 00:08
So it's to do with taste, rather than grams of carbs? This suddenly makes sense :yay:. Thanks, Zuleikaa! When I was doing Atkins I had some LC toffees once and I had an enormous and very uncomfortable sugar rush, so I kind of knew that even the taste of something sweet could set me off ... I've been avoiding LC sweeteners ever since. That gives me a much better idea how this works.

Zuleikaa
Wed, Sep-10-03, 04:29
Actually it's both!! A double whammy!!