PDA

View Full Version : Carb Addicted Kids?????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

angel506cl
Fri, Jul-25-03, 19:24
Has anyone had any experience w/the Carb addict's plan for kids? My poor daughter (only 7 yrs. old) is more of a carb addict than I am. She has gained 10 lbs. since Feb. and not grown much taller. I hate to see her become even more over-weight so I have been reading the CA for kids book. I just wondered if anyone has tried the step by step plan w/their young child. I want to help her prevent weight gain w/o letting her find out she's over-weight or on a "diet". Any help would be appreciated.

Zuleikaa
Sat, Jul-26-03, 06:33
Jeannie Fs son is on CAD. She might have some strategies. I would go for it. You'll probably have more success doing it now than later when her tastes are further entrenched. There is also a forum on the board for Parents low carbing their kids.

JeannieF
Mon, Jul-28-03, 07:10
Yes, I do CAD for the whole family and have read and tried to follow the Carb Addicted Kids book. It's really a great book. I agree with Zuleikaa to get started now. The step-by-step approach in the book is great for a younger child that probably doesn't have a clue, yet, that they have a weight problem. I'm doing this with my ultra-skinny, yet carb addicted 8 year old boy! Try to make the changes as subtle as possible, replacing a few things at a time to re-train her taste buds. If she's a cereal eater, replace the higher sugar cereals with lower sugar ones and add a protien to every meal (not just cereal for breakfast, but cereal and eggs or cereal and cheese slices, etc.) Introduce her to the joys of drinking water and remove most sugary juices from the house. I did this by buying water bottles with the sports tops and keeping them in the fridge. The kids think these are cool and will drink water that way but would NEVER considering getting it from the sink. (I wash and refill the bottles until they are no longer usable to save money!)

My 11 year old boy realizes that he has a weight problem and has done more of the Jump Start program. He's lost 8.8 lbs since mid June.

Realize you'll run into some resistance. Working to educate the kids on the healthier aspect of this WOE helps. Just stay away from saying anything about "we need to do this because you need to lose weight."

My youngest son (skinny) get's angry from time to time and says, "It's not fair! I shouldn't have to eat low-carb!" to which I reply, "It's better for your body and will help you build stronger muscles and bones. We're doing this as a family to be healthier overall."

So much easier to just eat what's on the shelves at the grocery store. So much better to put a little effort into this and get them started on a healthier life forever!

Good Luck!

Jeannie

angel506cl
Mon, Jul-28-03, 11:39
THanks for the great input! I have started trying to add more protein in her diet already. Do you think that just by adding more protein and veggies that she will begin to lose and/or stop gaining weight? I hope so! I just don't want her to become obese. I've talked to her about trying to eat healthier. I have told her that her body is allergic to sugar and that we need to try to cut out a lot of it. She has been game so far b/c she does like cheese, lunchmeats, etc. We'll see what happens! Thanks again!

JeannieF
Mon, Jul-28-03, 15:03
Adding the protein will help create balance in the insullin response. As I understand it, this helps curb the hunger and they should last longer before asking for more food. (My 8 year old would ask for snacks every hour on the hour before I started this. This constant request for snacks has virtually disappeared with the added protiens.) I have come to learn that the balance is extremely important. I can't guarantee she'll immediately start losing weight, but the weight gain should stop and then as you make further changes she might lose or she may simply remain at the same weight while growing into it. Every body is different and I'm not sure how hers will react. For years the doctor has been telling me that my son shouldn't go on a "diet" but needed to stop gaining weight so he could grow into his weight. This didn't happen until I put him on CAD and by then he was so overweight, he had to lose some to be healthy.

It is a slow process. Add the protein and then every once in a while have a complete higher-protein breakfast (no carbs). Slowly, make these low-carb breakfasts more common, etc. and do the same with lunch or dinner (depending on which meal you choose for the RM). Try some low-carb replacements for pancakes and breads, using low carb-breads to make peanut butter toast. Get familiar with lower carb fruits and eliminate the higher carb fruits from the house (example, no more bananas or only at RM if she really likes them).

These are just a few more examples of things I've done to get our household under control and start my family on a healthier eating style. Hope this helps. Ask any questions you come up with and I'll help where I can.

Jeannie

JeannieF
Mon, Jul-28-03, 15:07
Also... I've found that trying to get my kids to eat veggies for breakfast is virtually impossible and even though CAD calls for it, they rarely actually get veggies at breakfast.

angel506cl
Mon, Jul-28-03, 19:26
Thanks again! I'll keep u guys posted!!!