PDA

View Full Version : New here...help please

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kristy28g
Mon, Jul-14-03, 13:07
Hi...I'm new in here. I just started on the CAD program yesterday. I am 21 years olld and have about 10lbs to lose. I weigh around 130 and am 5'6'' ..I'd like to lose this extra padding around the middle and CAD seems like just the thing. Something I can live with.
If anyone has :bhug: a moment I'd appreciate some help...I have a few questions:

Which is better CAD or CALP? The CALP book says 40''s, 50's and 60's on it so I wasn't sure if it was geared for younger people.

Also..how long did it take for you to start seeing results and may I ask how much weight you've lost so far?

Finally...last one, I promise...
At lunch today I ate a protein salad w/ ranch and sugar free gelatin with lowfat whipped topping....then I realized the whipped topping had suger even though only 2 carbs. So after I realized this I decided to make that my RM instead, and ran back to eat a PB&J sandwich and some more jello.(within 60 minutes) Is this ok??? Can I just eat a regular CM dinner and still call this a good day? Or have I screwed up?? Am I supposed to steer clear of all sugar no matter what?? Please help...thanks

Kristina
weight: 130
goal:120

quikdeb
Mon, Jul-14-03, 14:16
Will try to answer some of your questions.....

Yes, definately you can make that your RM, have a CM for dinner and the day is saved! That was a good plan once you caught your mistake!

For the most part it is suggested that even the SF jello, or anything that tastes sweet, be saved for RM. Apparently we react to the sweetness no matter what it's source, so keep CM's simple....protein and veggies from the CM approved list. This will help with in between hunger too.

ANYTHING GOES AT RM. You should be striving for balance of 1/3 veggies, 1/3 protein and 1/3 carbs. It's not an exact science but keep the balance in mind. It takes practice and even then we all have our off days, but it is the goal. My best advice is to find the journals of those of us on CAD and READ! Aside from the book, this taught me the most and gave (gives) me the most hope and support.

There is not too much difference between CAD and CALP. It has ages on there, but that's really not indicative of much. Maybe some extra advice for us "oldies!" Basically, CALP calls for a salad before beginning the RM and there are a few changes with the CM veggies, most of which are cautioned. CALP is newer and slightly more strict. Read the sticky's that Zule has put at the top of this forum. They will be very helpful to you.

Basically, keep CM's simple, strive for RM balance, finish in 60 min., and enjoy your new lifestyle. You're going to love it.

I started in Jan. I am a very slow loser, but generally average out to a bit under a pound per week. To date I have lost 19.5. Not going to win any races, but I eat GREAT, and I am losing steadily.

Best of luck and welcome!

Deb

Zuleikaa
Mon, Jul-14-03, 18:23
Welcome!!! I can't add anything to what Deb said.

Read!!! Read!!! Read!!!

dcbrowne
Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:31
Just want to say welcome-Glad to meet ya!!!!

Kristy28g
Mon, Jul-14-03, 20:55
Thanks for the advice, Deb! Thank you for taking the time to write. :)
I'd also like to thank you all for such a nice welcome.

Hey guys, is it normal in the first few days to feel really hungry at times with headaches and stuff? It's only day two and I feel like I got hit by a truck. I'm sure that some of the hunger is all in my head but other times I have actual hunger pangs. I had to have a snack tonight I was desperate...about 2 oz of grilled chicken and some lettuce leafs..in addition to everything else today.....Sorry to be such a chattervox here..I'm just new is all and very curious. Thanks again and if anyone needs to chat let me know.

Kristina :wiggle:

quikdeb
Mon, Jul-14-03, 21:23
Yes, feeling yucky is all normal. Just hang in there. It should pass in another day or so.

The snack was fine and a great choice. You are allowed a CS if it is needed. Most find it unnecessary after the initial yuck stuff is over, but don't be hungry. Use what you need.

Deb

Jalera2003
Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:31
Welcome Kristy:

The other gals have done a great job of answering your questions.

I have lost 24 lbs to date. I followed CAD at first but kinda grew into CALP as I near 40. Not sure it is age related or just having control over my cravings that makes the more strict program better for me as time goes on.

I wish you the best with your efforts.