PDA

View Full Version : Keen for more maintenance support ! AND Where do all the maintainers go?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

trisharau
Sun, Jul-13-03, 21:27
Hi all,

I have reached maintenance once and now that I am nearly reached my new goal I am almost at it again. If I set a new one after this it will be related to body fat percentage rather than weight.

I am keen to connect with others who are close to or have achieved maintenance. I think this is an important stage particularly as it is one to keep for life.

As far as I can see many who achieve goal disappear after posting less and less. It is sad as I feel many could benefit from sharing in this process.

I have noticed with me that I am less interested in the forum these days and I have noticed that I manage really well with my eating if I stay away from the journals of those who cheat quite frequently (and many on this forum seem to do that! :nono: ). Maybe that is why the maintainers end up going too. I would be interested in other peoples perspectives on this phenomenon.

downscale
Wed, Jul-16-03, 20:58
I have been on maintenance since the end of April, and I think there are a number of reasons that the "maintainers" tend to disappear:

1. Maintenance is not very exciting. The "Cinderella" part of the story is over and now it is the "happily ever after" part. Tolstoy said "All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." Unfortunately, the unhappy ones are also the more interesting.

2. Maintenance tends to be rather individualized. After low carbing since December, I have found what works for me, but I tend to have less and less faith that my personal experience is helpful to anyone else. My diet is affected by my own food preferences, metabolism, exercise level, lifestyle, age, etc.

3. Burnout. After you hang around these boards for a while, you feel like you are reading the same posts over and over: "I am soooo excited to start this diet.....", "I lost 8 pounds during Induction but since then I haven't lost anything.....", "I haven't read the book yet -- are Cheerios allowed on Induction?", "Last night I intended to have just a few potato chips, but then before I knew it....", "I lost 50 pounds on Atkins 2 years ago, but then I went back to my old way of eating and gained it all back, plus 30 pounds more..." It all gets rather discouraging.

4. And that last example brings up another unfortunate possiblity -- that the "maintainers" disappear because they are failing to "maintain."

trisharau
Thu, Jul-17-03, 00:18
Hi Downscale,

You have brought up some excellent points in your discussion. I have felt a little sad that maybe some people disappear because they are no longer maintaining. I do hope the reason they go is not always because of that.

I could understand that your point with the boredom factor could be a strong element as I have been finding that relevant to me the more time I have spent on these boards. It can be very frustrating at times. This is why I try to stick to those journals that are moving ahead or at least generally positive in outlook.

I can see your point in the individual factors and I suppose they could be more pertinent when it comes to maintenance. I do imagine though there are some commonalities or at least overlaps were we could learn from others.

Your first point is one I had not considered. 'Tis sad eh, as maintenance to me is possibly more important than say induction, 'cos it's something I am going to do for life not just a few weeks or months.

Thanks again for sharing your perspective on this topic. :)

pepsi max
Thu, Jul-17-03, 04:43
hi there, it,s a pity that those who have reached their goal weight tend to dissapear as i think maintaining the weightloss is the hardest as it goes on forever. i came to the boards after i,d been at my goal weight for over 2 years but as i am diabetic it,s important i eat l-c forever.
the maintainers have still got a lot to offer new starters as they,re the ones whohave-done that, bought the t-shirt,so to speak.
i do agree that boredom is a factor as it,s not as exciting as losing weight ,maybe thats why some people sabbotarge themselves, so that they can get the thrill of dieting all over again.we just have to find a way to keep interested-maybe an exercise goal or new hobby?
hopefully we can help each other to maintain this way of life.

trisharau
Thu, Jul-17-03, 05:24
Hi Pepsi Max,

Congratulations on achieving and maintaining your goal weight for 2 years. :)

I noticed that I got to my first goal weight (which is what I was before my weight went up) fairly smoothly after I discovered low carb. After maintaining for a while I then decided to go 5 kilos lower and this has been much harder to achieve as I have tended to sabotage myself as I get closer to goal. I, however, am sick of doing that to myself so I imagine the last little bit will come off much easier now.

I am very keen to spend the energy that I have put into this weight loss into maintaining, and yes, of course, other interests too! I think making new goals are important and once I have achieved my body fat percentage goal I intend to make other challenges in my life eg increase fitness levels even more, be a good public speaker, get some horse riding lessons, manage stress better, etc.

I hope I am not one of the people that ends up leaving the boards once I have "got there" so to say. I would like to put back what I have got from learning from others experiences too!

Kristine
Fri, Jul-25-03, 18:47
Hi! I hear you - this forum seems quiet. But there are a lot of maintainers here, if you include everyone who's within 20 lbs of their goal weight, and are taking the long, slow ride. :thup: I see many around the forum.

I like to think that by the time people are in maintenance, they don't need daily support anymore - it's truely a WOL. I stick around mainly because it's become a political issue for me. I'm really angry at the food and medical industries, and if I can help a few people over onto this side of the fence, I will. :mad:

Frederick
Sun, Jul-27-03, 23:24
Hi Trish,

This threads reminds me of an old adage, that "getting there is half the fun." More often than not, the journey is every bit as endearing to us as our final destination. As per the Oscar Wilde adage, "There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."

For those of us who have both reached and maintained for a while, there is no longer a need to seek answers to our questions. Moreover, once a state objective is realized, it no longer holds a place on our list of goals we deem imperative which naturally dictates we divert our attentions and efforts to "new" or "unrealized" objectives.

And finally, the novelty of starting something new wears thin with our ultimately reaching our goals bringing closure to this aspect of our lives--losing weight. For most of us who have been on here for a while, we've experienced the highs, lows, ups and downs of just about every facet of losing weight on this eating regimen; and, on top of that, I'm sure we've answered, asked, then answered again just about every qeustion and concern imaginable. Personally, these days, I read many questions I've already responded to in threads in the past. In each progressive response, I feel less motivation to respond again.

So, in my view, it only seems natural that most once having reached goal would come here less. How often would one come when he/she has neither questions, concerns, nor any need to lose weight, right? I suppose, he/she will come when there isn't anything else more pressing, which I'd imagine would be a countless plethora of things since weight loss is no longer a concern for those of us who are in Maintenance.

Regardless, I do feel an affinity for both this forum and those here since it has been invaluable for me especially during those Induction days when this eating regimen appeared so daunting and ominous. I'd like to that I'll visit here when I have some time, and post whenever I can.

Regards,

Frederick

junebug61
Fri, Aug-01-03, 06:21
I am a lurker here. I am want to weigh in between 135- 139. This morning I was at 138!! I haven't posted here due to I haven't been able to read anything past owl!! The problem I have is, I am lazy and I have gotten out of the habit of counting my carbs. True confession here. Do other maintainers not count carbs?

pepsi max
Fri, Aug-01-03, 06:37
no, i don,t count carbs now but i did for a long time so know pretty much how many i,m eating.i still watch the scales religiously.keep carbs between 30 and 50.

christine

SarahO
Fri, Aug-01-03, 07:28
I'm so glad to see this thread! I was also a little bummed that there isn't more activity in the maintenance thread.

I was wondering if part of the reason why maintainers don't post so much is that maintenance is so much more flexible. Because in the early stages, if you have a question, more often than not there is one correct answer. (or at least, a few fairly well-established answers.) But at this point things are so much more open-ended. Is X food okay? How many carbs should I eat? In maintenance it's totally up to the individual. Frederick is still losing weight at carb levels that would be outrageously high for me. While on the other hand, I bet there are people out there maintaining at near-induction levels.

Anyway, I hope we see a little more activity here, it would be really nice to chat with other maintainers about the different issues & concerns of maintenance vs. weight loss.

By the way I am under my goal but starting to think I set my goal too high. Not trying to lose weight through diet anymore, but hoping to become more fit and lose another dress size or so through exercise.

vickiel
Sun, Aug-10-03, 13:06
I've been maintaining for two months now.
During this time, my weight has varied above and below goal by a pound, but seems to always retreat back to my goal weight.

I don't count carbs, but except for special dinners out or special occasions, I still never eat white rice, bread, potatoes or things made of flour. And on those occasions, I limit the white stuff to small tastes.

I put no limits at all on the amount of vegetables that I eat as long as they are the typical acceptable low-carb ones such as broccoli, zucchini, salad greens etc.

I snack on macadamias and almonds several times a day.

I have half a piece of German fitness bread with melted cheese for breakfast daily.

I've been eating cherries and blueberries in fair quantity daily too.

At this point, I know what is big carb and what isn't. And I also know pretty much what works for me. So my need for ideas and support is much diminished. I think that this is the reason why the maintenence forum has sparse participation. At least I HOPE that's why, and not because most people fall off the wagon.

I am really surprised to find out that eating this way still feels right, even after the diet is "over" (because as a WOL, it's never over!). I would have thought that I would conveniently forget about the rules, as I always have with other healthy lifestyle changes in the past.

I'd like to hear about the routines that other maintainers have fallen into that work for them. :thup:

mexicosun
Mon, Aug-11-03, 10:34
I am now at 114. My goal is 110. Everything is going great. I don't crave carbs at all. No chips, no yogurt (though I used to love it), no pasta, no bread, no junk food, no pie, cake, cookies, candy, no POP, no cereal. Now once in a blue moon might be ok in moderation but not on a regular basis.
I love mexican food but have sustained from refried beans, rice, and tortillas since I started this June 1. The other night, we went out to our favorite mexican restaurant. I had a beef taco salad (minus the shell), 5 tortilla chips, and a strawberry marguerita. No weight gain the next day. I find that now I can eat something I like once in a week or two and in moderation, it will not affect my weight.
I don't find this diet boring at all. I am used to monitoring how much I eat and what I eat and it comes naturally to me now. I can fix my family's favorite foods and something for me too. I eat plenty of fresh fruit-no juice!
To the person who wants to eat Cheerios-NO NO NO. Read the carbs. Slip up once and you will keep doing it. I am doing this for my health. I have a family and grandchildren, besides being an organ donor. I want to be in the best health I can be for all those reasons. If you don't have a good reason to be on this diet then forget it. You won't make it.
To everyone out there that is struggling to keep on track, make a list of good reasons you are doing this. Post it on the fridge in big letters. It will help you.

LC Sponge
Thu, Sep-11-03, 16:05
Speaking only from my own section of the low-carb page, I found that once I was maintaining, that I had less and less in common with the majority of bb members. I acted as a board mentor for a while - but time constraints eventually got the better of me and I withdrew from that role formally.

The second thing was that as a maintainer, a person often has evolved into their own LC plan, and are more likely to offer advise that isn't "by the book"; forgetting that those who are just beginning don't necessarily benefit from advice like "Don't worry, I cheated and I still lost. This isn't rocket science." It's much better that they hear from the energized "OWLs" saying things like "WHAT? OK forgive yourself and GET BACK on TRACK!"

Meanwhile - I'm still at my goal weight - my 4 year anniversary (from starting LC) is in February and I look and feel great. I eat whatever I want (NOT how MUCH I want), keeping my carbs under control and EXPECIALLY watching portion sizes.

Keeping the carbs under control has helped with things like cravings and digestive eruptions and water retention. However CALORIE control in the form of portion sizes is what has kept my weight where it is.

I don't count anything, I don't have to, it's now second nature. I continue to stay away from processsed foods, which has been easy since I never like them. I drink water not soft drinks and I don't eat the bars and other such nonsense.

I celebrate the big 45 :Party: this weekend and all is well with the world.

trisharau
Fri, Sep-12-03, 19:25
Happy birthday for this weekend LC Sponge. You sound like you are doing so well with your eating plan.

I can relate to what both you and Fred say regarding the LC journey, maintaining and this board. I know I haven't been visiting much myself these past few months. I am pretty busy with my other life these days and food/weight loss is just not such a priority!

Sarah I am also wanting to concentrate more on exercise to tone up. I am almost at goal weight but I am still a bit flabby around the middle.

This weight thing sometimes is a mystery. I have had some friends say to me that I look great and not to lose anymore as I am slim enough. Others reckon I could do with putting on a few more kilos!!! Well at least no one has said I look overweight!!

LC Sponge
Sat, Sep-13-03, 05:16
The great thing about being "near goal weight" is that now with exericse you are really "sculpting" what's left and shouldn't think of it as losing anymore. When you think of it like that, it broadens the perspective, I find. Helping with the mental transition from losing to not losing.

I have a theory about yoyo dieting, in that people regain the weight because of the satisfaction that comes with losing. It's like a rollercoaster ride, you have to know when to GET OFF and be OK with not riding it anymore.

The same with that "last 10 pounds" - if we really lose it, then the fun's all over. So we hang onto that "last 10" for dear life. It's comfort.

trisharau
Sat, Sep-13-03, 05:44
Thanks for sharing this wisdom LC.

I am actually struggling with my last couple of kilos at present. I get lower in weight then I increase my carbs or binge and my weight goes up again so I never quite get there. Alternatively I still eat low carb but then I stop my cardio workouts (which seem to be the factor for me losing weight much more than the weight work I does). I am really getting quite sick of sabotaging myself especially as I am so close to goal.

LC Sponge
Sat, Sep-13-03, 17:40
What you describe is actually quite normal, I think. It's jarring to "reach goal", because then what?? There is some ancient post on this board that I started years ago that had to do with post goal depression. I went thru a real FUNK when I approached/reached goal.

Do you do any resistance training in addition to cardio? I found that to be helpful in terms of adjusting my metabolism to burn more calories at rest.

trisharau
Mon, Sep-15-03, 16:56
I have started back doing weights three times a week. I use a barbell with light weights. I do a number of arm exercises as well as squats. I also mix these up with crunches and side crunches. I was sick (first time with a cold in two years) so I took a week off.

I was also doing cardio (20 - 30 mins fast walking on my treadmill) the other three days a week until my exams for first semester finished the end of June. I need to start that up again as I am sure cardio helps increase my energy levels and gives me a beta endorphin boost. I have been feeling quite flat lately and I am sure my sedentary lifestyle does not help with that state of mind. I need to balance all the mind exercise I get with study with body exercise!

LC Sponge
Tue, Sep-16-03, 04:45
Well, and doesn't that ring another true bell. Our "mental" state can be something else to deal with! I was once told that my mind is often a terrorist - casting blame for how my body feels, what workouts I didn't do, what I shouldn't have eaten. Once we can get the mind to be an aly instead of an enemy we will "hear" what the body is saying, not what the mind "thinks" it should be saying.

I took the whole summer off any type of formal exercise this year - I'm now eager to get back into it, what with fall coming. There was a time when I would have beaten myself up every day of that summer. But, my body was actually saying - I need a break - it's ok to loaf me around for a bit - hot weather is NOT condusive to hard exercise at your age - and the guilt and self terrorism took a break too. I guess it's really the total wellness of the person that is the true goal.

trisharau
Tue, Sep-16-03, 06:29
Hmm! you are feeling like exercise now that it is autumn and I am feeling like moving my body again now that spring has sprung here! :)

I know there is a part of me that feels like hibernating in winter. I want to sleep in in the mornings and not get up and exercise. Now the sun is up, when I wake up now, I have more desire to get moving.

I enjoyed doing my weights this morning. I don't feel I will be sore tomorrow as I have only missed a week of this exercise. I think I might try a moderate walk for 20 mins on my treadmill tomorrow. :yay:

Kathy54
Tue, Sep-16-03, 10:04
Hello, I'm so glad to have found this thread :) I reached my goal (1 under) about 3 weeks ago :thup: I'm still spending a fair bit of time on the forums, but I too can see somedays I'am at the end of the rope when it comes to the, whiners, cheaters, blame the plan, not what goes in the mouth posters. So I really need to make more connections with others who are maintaining.

I agree that everyone finds their own plan near the end of losing what they want, I know I certainly have'nt counted carbs for many months now, I seem to know my limit on fruits, grain breads (no flour), and things like fresh corn and fresh dug potatoes ( I live near several small farms).

Bottom line for me now is control over servings of the bread, potatoe, brown rice, corn, making a choice of what I'm going to have, if I have bread then thats it, no other higher carb food that day.

I do feel for those who can not control what they have once they get started.But I have never been able to understand Binge's or self sabotage, one in the same I guess? I do thank my lucky stars for not being like that, but I could use some more patiences for those who are, LOL

Anyhow enough for today, I hope this keeps active, I look forward to sharing our thoughts with other maintainers :thup:
Cheers Kathy

jaykay
Tue, Sep-16-03, 12:06
This is really helpful to read. I'm within 5 (or 9) pounds of my goal. I'm going to get to 130, look at myself and then decide if I need to be at 126.
Its interesting to hear people talk about needing to control portion size. I think that's what's tripping me up at the moment.
I know how to do this now, after 15 months - I just need to focus and stop 'not exactly cheating, but not exactly sticking with it' to shift the last few pounds.
Thanks for the thread - there are still those of us who are close but still need some support.

paradise
Sat, Oct-04-03, 10:49
Ditto with all the previous posts! I also read somewhere that sometimes what happens when you reach goal, there can be somewhat kind of psychological letdown, similar to, "Ok, I've reached goal, now what?" One has focused and channeled all sorts of energies into losing weight, that once one reaches goal, the chase is over. I also wish there was more support for maintainers, but, alas, there doesn't seem to be. As other posters have said, maintenance is so much more individualized. You know what works for your body. I do not count carbs, but since I've been at this from July 2002, I "know" what I am consuming. My one unbreakable rule (along with drinking lots of water, etc.) is to have at least one salad a day. Good luck maintaining!!!

junebug61
Sun, Oct-05-03, 07:08
During the summer I usually walk 1 1/2 miles, sometimes 3 miles, and then 3-4 days step class. Now that it is cooling off, my walking days are diminishing. I am up a couple pounds from my lowest from this summer. Is anyone else experiencing this?

jaykay
Sun, Oct-05-03, 07:36
I really struggle with exercise in the winter, cos I run outdoors, with my dogs, in the morning.
During the summer, I've loved every minute of it, the sun and the new day and just the beautiful surroundings.
Now its dark again, it gets creepy in the woods (only my imagination, no other silly fool is out there at 6am!) and I have to push myself to get out of bed when its cold and dark too.
I have resolved though, that I will continue - nothing makes me feel better, nor helps me keep my weight right.
I actually enjoy winter walks, even in the cold and rain, once it's light, so at weekends that's OK (well, sometimes what I enjoy is coming back into the warm and dry again). It's the dark that I struggle with.

LC Sponge
Sun, Oct-05-03, 13:46
Odd as this might sound, I gauge my food intake against my activity level.

It’s something I do with my horse and it makes good sense. If I’m not working him, or giving him a period of rest/inactivity, I cut back on his feed. Once he is working again, I increase it.

Same with us. So if I go thru a period of less activity, I consciously have to decrease the number of calories I’m eating. The appetite may still crave the same amount of food, and habit may cause it to land on our plates, but realistically one has to mesh the two concepts of calories-in vs energy-expended.

trisharau
Sat, Oct-18-03, 00:51
A good point with energy expenditure. I find conversely I need to remind my self to up my energy input (especially the carbs) when I exercise other wise I experience fatigue and dizziness.

Now that it is ligher and warmer here in the mornings I am up and exercising more. That feels good and I wonder why on earth I stopped it in the first place.

Natkins
Tue, Dec-09-03, 16:27
This is a great thread, many insightful people here!
I am new to the maintenance club, even though I am not at (or particularly near) my goal weight. I actually have sort of been "forced" into maintenance because I am pregnant and not allowed to lose weight, but wanted to stay with the LC way of eating. I am going to post a thread asking specifically for ideas and suggestions from you all, but wanted to say a quick hello here on this thread, too.
So far, maintenance is easy for me as I was doing a very slow OWL for the last couple of months (on purpose). I also don't count carbs per se, but just try to add in fruits and veggies throughout my day.

Kristine
Thu, Dec-11-03, 13:46
Welcome aboard, and congrats on the impending new arrival! :baby: Sounds like he or she is certainly getting a good start, nutritionally. :cool:

downscale
Sun, Dec-21-03, 15:39
In a thread on another board, Quest says, "I have never gone to the maintenance board, but I am sure they support each other in continuing ways even after reaching goal. As they should!"

Little does she know that this thread is pretty dull. But her quote did spark an interesting thought -- I think this board is pretty dull precisely because Maintainers don't need outside support anymore! The active losers cannot envision a time when they will not need "continuing support". But by the time that Maintainers have reached goal and sustained it, they have worked out the program for themselves. In becoming successful, they have learned to depend on themselves for support.

Kathy54
Sun, Dec-21-03, 20:41
Yes very true Downscale. LOL

I know I had hope this site would be more active, I kind of woke it up in Sept, only for it to peter out again.
However many of the maintianers do spend a lot fo time helping out others on the other threads, and I know I just seem to run out of time, so don't get here often.

Anyhow it looks like you are doing great, under goal abit it's a nice place to be this time of year ;>)

Cheers Kathy

trisharau
Mon, Dec-22-03, 07:18
Interesting perspective Downscale!

I wonder too if those that get to maintenance are also those that tend to be more self sufficient anyway. In my own experience I often found I moved forward (as in downward on the scale!) more when I didn't post so much and just got on with my own journey.

Not just focusing on weight loss all the time, and concentrating on other interests in my life, has helped me become a more 'successful' person in more ways, than just getting to maintenance. Doing this has also made doing maintenance much easier!

Anleigh
Wed, Jan-07-04, 09:02
I've been in Maintenance now for several months. It is nice. I can eat 60 carbs/day and not gain an ounce. If I drop below that, I lose. I have to have the support of the lowcarb boards or I'm afraid I will get lazy and start gaining. Another board I belong to has a terrible Maintenance board. Very little activity and never anything said that would really help a person in Maintenance. I think we all need each others advice, success and failure experiences. If we are in this for life, we need support to continue - or at least, I do.

trisharau
Wed, Jan-07-04, 16:58
Hi Anleigh,

The maintenance threads here are still a little quiet, though they seem to have picked up in the last few months.

I am still not sure that I have stabilised at my final weight so I am just playing around with food and exercise at present. I was much lower than what I presently am in my twenties but I am not sure if that weight would suit me now. I remember being 7 and a half stone. I am not sure what that is in kilos or pounds. I am just under 8 stone at present (108 Pounds).

You must be quite slender - you are a little shorter than me in height. Were you happy at this weight once before or did you find that this is what suits you best now?

I agree that we need some support in Maintenance before we are ready to go it totally alone. It is good to have others to share this part of the journey with!

Anleigh
Wed, Jan-07-04, 19:24
Trish, I am quite slender. I did not intend to lose so much weight. My original goal was 120 lbs. Once I got to it I decided to do the yogurt fast to lose a few extra. Next thing I knew, I had lost 25 more pounds. I decided it was time to stop when a Size 2 became baggy on me and my doctor told me I needed to gain a little weight. Anyway, I'm enjoying Maintenance very much. I still eat my yogurt twice a day.

mem2
Thu, Jan-08-04, 11:25
I have been at goal since Dec. 1999, but my weight has not been stable. I am allowed to go 3 pounds over or 7 pounds under and I have rarely been under my goal weight of 112. I know it is emotional/psychological. Food is still my drug of choice. I wish it was no longer a problem. I had already reached my goal when I found Atkins. So I really need a maintainance club, unlike some of you. I envy you. One problem, I feel is I am lactovegetarian and Atkins is not so friendly to that. I continue searching for a way to do low carb with minumal animal products.

sjkling
Thu, Jan-08-04, 11:35
i am just getting to maintenance! please keep me company! i am so worried about this transition! i am up a little from the holidays (where i did rather splurge at my favorite breakfast restaurant!) and i need to get that off and then i'm there! i need as much support as possible right now, because i am afraid it will creep back on....how did any of you overcome that?

trisharau
Sat, Jan-10-04, 01:34
Hi Anleigh,

My original goal was 120 pounds too. I stabilised there for a long time and then decided to go lower. First it was 115 pounds and then 110 pounds.

I still don't know my carb level and I imagine it could go much higher than what it currently is. I ate a lot of cherries in the last few weeks on top of my usally fare and I still lost weight!

Hi Mem2,

Diana Schwarzbein has a vegetarian cook book. You could check out the Schwarzbein threads. I would love to go vegetarian again but meat and fish seem to suit me more than beans and cheese.

Hi Sjkling,

Welcome to maintenance. I decided to focus on my goal and not let anything get in the way. I even went right back to Atkins Induction to spur the weight loss on and to get me back into ketosis. Drink lots of water, exercise, stick to a simple eating plan, and DON'T cheat is my motto.

mem2
Sat, Jan-24-04, 11:14
I guess I long to be carefree, but I know from experience that if I don't pay attention I can lose all the headway (not the weight) I have gained. I must stay awake and dilligent. At this point I need to learn the emotional triggers for eating and learn other strategies for dealing with my frustrations and stresses and embrace the rewards of being at goal or a few pounds below. Fantastic health is one of them. The ability to focus on other than food, to feed the mind and the soul is another. Good wishes to all you maintainers, and I still need you and probably always will.

rose7
Sat, Jan-24-04, 12:14
Hi everyone, :p
Just wondering, how many lbs do you folks start to get concerned? Does your weight vary alot from day to day? Mine fluctuates quite a bit and at times I do get worried if the scale only heads in one direction. Is weight fluctuation common on Atkins cuz in low fat days my weight was extremely stable (exact same number for months).

Best wishes for all the maintainers out there! :cheer:

Kristine
Sat, Jan-24-04, 14:04
Hi Rose! :wave: My personal "upper limit" is 140 lbs. I try to stay below that, and as long as I don't overdo booze and minor cheats, it's a piece of (LC cheese)cake. :thup: I'm usually 136-139, varying only with little things like TOM and maybe salt intake. :thup: If I start getting the "carb creeps", I pay a little closer attention to those carbs, maybe use fitday.com for a few days, just to get re-focused a bit. I think the Atkins book recommends a 5 lb buffer zone.

HTH a bit. :cool: Best of luck to you, too! :cheer:

Oh - Mary, Protein Power is a veggie-friendly plan, and I highly recommend "Protein Power Lifeplan" if you feel like reading. :thup: It's a great read whether you plan on following their food plan or not.

trisharau
Sun, Jan-25-04, 00:04
Hi Mem 2,

Focusing more on exercise is one way I see that will help in managing the frustrations in my life. Exercise along with eating well helps keep me stress free. Avoiding substances that I find toxic to my system eg. alcohol, sugar, caffeine, all help keep me on track and able to deal with life's challenges better.

Rose, my weight can fluctuate quite a bit depending on where I am in my monthly cycle, salt intake, carb intake, exercise, fluid intake, etc. I also put on a kilo in water weight over the course of a day!

Generally I like to be no more than 50kg for a morning weigh in. If I get to 52kg then I start looking seriously at my carb intake, so as to make the neccessary adjustments.

Frederick
Sun, Jan-25-04, 00:25
Hi guys,

I too agree that regular excercise is a great way to keep weight equlibrium during the Maintenance. For me, it's actually the ideal tool, even more so than regulating carb intake. The last 6 months or so, I have found that if I keep up my running regimen (about 32 miles/week) augmented with a very modest weight training program, I can just eat about whatever level of carbs and not gain any weight. The great thing about excercising is the regular intervals in which our stored carbs are being constantly depleted.

Rose, on the weight fluctuation, I experience a very similar phenomenon as you. I range anywhere from 145 - 150, depending on the time of day and week. The weight itself is probably water fluctuation. For instance, if I'm at my high of 150, after a run and workout, I lose about 3 lbs, then another few the next day. So, I think fluctuations are pretty normal--just make sure you're not spiking up 10 lbs or something like that. LOL

Frederick

Galadriell
Wed, Jan-28-04, 08:05
I have reached my goal weight last September. It was 140 lbs - the same weight I had mostly during my adult life. The reason for my weight gain was much more a slowing metablism at age 44, than high carbs. To fight back I started running. Running helped to loose my 35 lbs excess weight as well as to keep it down. My weight fluctuation is huge. TOM, or my favorite smoked salmon plate can cause 3-5 lbs+ water weight too. After long runs, or harder weight trainings it can be 4-6 lbs+, but the water always going away in 24-36 hours. My carbs were 60 during weight loss, 60-100 since. I see a very slow weight drop month by month (1/2 lbs).

My recommendation: chose some exercise that you really like. It can give you the necessary metabolism bust, protection much more than limiting your carbs to 20-30 for a lifetime. It can be very handy when you'll see the first sign of aging in your 40s.

Anleigh
Mon, Feb-23-04, 08:59
I have been maintaining since October, 2003. I had a hard time establishing my CCL at first goal and continued to lose. Now I have it established at about 60-70/day and seems to be working well. More than anything, in my maintenance program, I just stay away from regular breads, pastas, rice, sugar, and higher carb veggies and fruits. I don't really count calories or carbs or compute ratios but I do sort of keep a running estimate in my head as well as continue to drink plenty of water; approximately 120 oz./day. I do eat sf candy and bars ever now and then and eat lots of yogurt. My favorite snacks are pork cracklins and nuts. I usually eat one or the other of them most daysfor a snack. My typical maintenance menu usually consists of yogurt & peanutbutter for breakfast, lunch is usually something like tuna or chicken salad or a lowcarb frozen dinner (I like the Life's Choice brand), and dinner is usually a meat and salad or green veggie. Sometimes I will make a sandwich for dinner (hamburger) with a lowcarb bagel (which I order from a lowcarb bakery - only 2.5 carbs per bagel and they are good). I allow myself a snack in the afternoons as I end up eating dinner late most of the time. Rarely do I eat after dinner but if I do, it is usually more lowcarb yogurt or a sf candy bar (bad I know) but it is better than some high carb sweet in MHO. Still have to stay on my toes at all times. I am a carb addict and could blow it easily if I would just let myself. I truly want to make this WOE my way of eating for the rest of my life.

trustycat
Mon, Feb-23-04, 19:30
Hey Anleigh! How's it going? Long time, no see-- We missed ya!

Got some questions for ya, if u don't mind...

Do you eat the low carb yogurt only? What is the yogurt fast, and isn't that kinda anti-atkins?

Do u just eat the tuna salad/chicken salad plain? Any recipes?

lowcarb bagel? Where do u get them from? any recommendations?

Do u ever eat fruit? How do u get your carbs up to 60/70, and do u know your calorie intake?

Thanks!

Rose--5 lb is a good range to have.... wouldn't worry about it too much, scales are evil! :) As long as u feel ok, all should be fine!

Pez
Mon, Mar-01-04, 09:35
I am curious too, what is the yogurt fast?

Anleigh
Tue, Mar-02-04, 19:15
Sorry girls but I don't check in too often. The Yogurt Fast, I learned about from another lowcarb board. The so called, Yogurt Exception, says that the live bacteria in the yogurt destroys much of the carbs in the yogurt and, therefore, is allowable by some lowcarb standards. Yes, it is contradictory to Atkins. Of course, it has to either be plain or at least sugar free. A very popular yogurt is the Blue Bunny Lite or the Kroger Lite (sugar free). Many make yocheese from the regular full fat yogurt (drain the whey from it) and add such sweeteners as Davinci flavored syrups. Now that the lowcarb yogurts are finally on the market that just adds more choices. The fast involves eating 5-6 containers of yogurt only per day. I lost a lot of weight doing the modified fast which involves yogurt for breakfast, lunch, and snack and a regular lowcarb dinner. I still eat a lot of yogurt everyday. Couldn't live without it. I don't have any trouble getting my carbs up to 60-70 per day eating lots of veggies, lowcarb bread, nuts, etc, and the yogurt. I also eat a lot of toppings off pizza. I crave it and that adds up pretty quick. I also like the lowcarb pizza from Sams. The lowcarb bagels I get from a place called Lowcarb Emporium. I order them online. They are really good; expensive and usually a little dry but they sure make up for the real thing. My tuna and chicken salads are made with sugar free pickle relish sweetened with Splenda and Duke's Sugar Free Mayonnaise. I just eat it with celery, lettuce or lowcarb bread. About the only fruit I eat is berries in my yogurt. I also eat a lot of peanutbutter. I'm amazed at my CCL and the number of calories I can eat and not gain weight; probably 1800/day at least. One more thing, I don't know if I have mentioned that I am 55 years old and the grandmother of a little two year old boy, Jonah and 3 week old girl. Her name is Anleigh, after me whose real name is Ann Lee. I'm just a lucky lady. :wiggle:

Pez
Wed, Mar-03-04, 09:07
Hi Anleigh,
I was wondering where I could find more information about the yogurt fast? Also how long did you do it for and how much weight did you actually lose on it? Can you do it with plain whole milk yogurt or do they have to be the new low carb ones? About how many calories are you suppose to eat of yogurt daily? Sorry for all the questions but I am curious about it. In your opinion, how unhealthy do you think it is?
Thanks,
Pez
P.S. Congrats on your granddaughter, I am sure she is beautiful :)

Anleigh
Wed, Mar-03-04, 09:21
I lost from 120 lbs. to 95 lbs. doing the Modified Yogurt Fast. I would do the regular fast only for a couple of days at a time. When doing the regular fast, I would only have about 600 calories a day. I primarily ate the BB Lite and Kroger Lite while losing weight. The new lowcarb yogurts were not on the market at that time. Also, the yocheese is made from plain, full fat yogurt. Some people like it much better, says it satisfies them longer due to the fat and would have more calories. In order to be healthy, one would probably need to do the Modified version if doing it long term. I still have yogurt one meal a day. I love it! If you are truly interested in where I learned all about it, just pm me and I will give you the scoop. Ann

Itty
Wed, Mar-03-04, 09:34
Hi all

I joined this website about a month after reaching my goal. Good to see a maintenance site here, too.

While I understand that BMI (body mass index) isn't so necessary, I was wondering for Anleigh and others, what is your final BMI? There is a chart in DANDR. Mine is about 26 right now, but I am back on "Induction" until I go to Cuba in two weeks to bring my weight down about six pounds. However, I can't seem to eat only 20 carbs now! The two days I've been doing it, I hit 30 and almost 40 carbs! I am already sitting at about 14 for the day, and I only just had breakfast (crustless quiche 6, coffee 4, strawberries 4).

Mary

Anleigh
Wed, Mar-03-04, 10:29
My BMI is a little low at barely 18. I feel good at this size and seem to not have a lot of problems with Maintenance. I do have to watch it like everyone else but as long as I stick to the basic rules, I'm fine. :wiggle:

angelpaws8
Wed, Mar-03-04, 16:21
Hey 600 calories a day is not a good idea! That will definately cause loss of muscle mass, not fat.

Anleigh
Thu, Mar-04-04, 09:11
Angelpaws - you are correct about the 600 calories. I didn't do it for more than a couple of days at a time. I exercise quite a bit so I'm developing a good bit of muscle mass. Actually quite strong for a shrimp.

penelope
Fri, Mar-12-04, 19:15
Anleigh
Wow too bad you have no journal .I am lucky I found you. I would love if you PM me the Yogurt fast.
I eat some every day .I find it fascinating you manage to get to 95 pounds.
I am your age and on HRT. I am having a harder time. I used to be 107.
Thanks in advance for your help
Pene

Anleigh
Mon, Mar-15-04, 09:24
Penelope - Not a whole lot to the yogurt fast. 5-6 BB Lite or Kroger, or now the new lowcarb yogurts per day. I would only do this for a few days at a time. For an extended period of time I did the Modified Yogurt Fast as mentioned before. About 3 yogurts per day and then a lowcarb dinner (usually meat and veggie or salad). You can probably use most any sugar free yogurt but I used the ones I did because they were made with Splenda. Other sugar free brands seem to have more carbs. I based this on the yogurt exception which amounted to about 5 carbs per 6 oz. container for the yogurt. Many people like the full fat plain yogurt drained of its whey, which is called yocheese. Then you just mix it with sugar free syrup for flavor and eat as you would the other. They say it stays with you longer but I didn't do it much for lack of time. I don't take HRT and have had very few problems. I guess I got lucky with my metabolism. I can't believe I lost as much as I did either and what is even more fascinating is how well I can maintain eating 60-70 carbs/day and I know my calories must go to about 2500 some days. My weight fluctuates between 92-95 lbs. I weighed 94 this morning. Good Luck. Anleigh

Isa
Thu, Apr-22-04, 10:59
Hello! I'm glad I found this thread. I met goal back in October 2003, had a fabulous time in my new body, and then backslid up the scale for a full 10lbs. I'd gotten back down to 117 at the beginning of Spring, but I kept nibbling this and that and avoiding the scale until I finally got to 123. I think I fell prey to the post-goal depression. Whatever. I'm not going to wallow it in. I'm exercising again, on Induction again, and this thread is strengthening my resolve to MAINTAIN the second time around.

I had never really dieted before. I had no idea what to expect. Now that I've read this thread all the way through my forehead is sore from all times I smacked it and said "d'oh!"

So THAT'S how it works!

Isa

P.S. Special Hi to trish, Sarah, and downscale, who all avoided the pit I so clearly fell into.