PDA

View Full Version : Women and Training/Nutriton Fallacies

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Trainerdan
Thu, Aug-23-01, 05:08
Women’s Fallacies of Training and Nutrition
August 1, 2000
by Elzi Volk

In today’s society, many women have adopted similar nutritional and lifestyle patterns. Over the years, as a personal trainer, a scientist and an athlete, I have consulted with and observed women of varying ages and economical and educational status. I have discerned several consistent nutritional and activity similarities amongst women from all over the US, both in rural and urban communities. Partly due to cultural influences and increased daily demands, the average woman between the ages of 17 and early 40’s describes her lifestyle and eating habits with similar characteristics.

This is what I refer to as the "Typical Women’s Syndrome." I will address many of these common characteristics in this column.

1. Too Little Dietary Protein

With the exception of some female athletes, the average woman eats insufficient protein. There are many reasons for this.

- Inadequate daily calorie intake. Simply, many women don’t eat enough food during the day. By this very fact, their protein intake is minimal compared to their consumption of other foods, such as carbohydrates.

- Fear of meat. Many women shun the consumption of meat. It is common for a woman to eat red meat only once or twice a week and some type of meat only once per day. The most universal reason for this is their fear of fat, especially in red meat.

- Protein is expensive. Protein is relatively more expensive than carbohydrates. Therefore, women, who are the primary food purchasers in this nation, will restrict their buying of protein-containing foods and replace them with carbohydrate-based foods in order to stay within budgets.

- Exercise increases most nutrient needs. One of the controversial issues in nutritional circles is the adequacy of the RDA for protein to meet the needs of athletes. As some studies demonstrate, athletes who train intensively may need as much as two to three times the RDA, up to one gram per pound of body weight. Several studies with female athletes have shown that few actually intake adequate amounts of calories and nutrients, especially protein.

- Vegetarian diet. A diet that excludes animal protein makes it more difficult to insure adequate supply of all required amino acids for synthesis of body proteins. Balancing amino acid intake from plant sources requires dedication and knowledge of food constituents and how they interact to ensure adequate protein for the body.

- Lack of education. Many women are unaware of how much protein they should eat on a daily basis or what foods contain protein and the amount that they provide. Because of the much-touted association of cardiovascular disease with animal protein, they avoid eating meat and many dairy products. More and more research shows that including lean meats in balanced meals does not increase the risk of cardiovascular heart disease in most individuals, especially if they are active.

2. Too Many Carbohydrates

Most women tend to eat too many carbohydrates in their diet. This appears to be associated with many factors.

- Low-fat diets. Women typically adhere to a low-fat diet in the belief that dietary fat will make them fat. Generally speaking, a moderate amount of dietary fat will not cause an individual to become fat unless their total caloric intake is higher than their caloric output. As a result of the low-fat craze, many supermarket foods are labeled "low fat," but the fat calories are generally substituted with carbohydrate calories. Many women think because it is low fat, it is okay to eat all they want.

- Carbohydrates make you hungry. Although this is consistently debated in nutritional circles, research shows that eating snacks and meals comprised mostly of carbohydrates do not always induce a sense of fullness. Carbohydrates increase serotonin production, a hormone and neurotransmitter that stimulates the appetite center in the brain. Women eating primarily carbohydrates may feel hungry again shortly afterwards.

- Carbohydrate cravings. During certain times of the menstrual cycle, many women experience cravings for carbohydrates. Evidence exists showing a biological explanation for some of these cravings. According to the presented hypothesis, premenstruation and menstruation are accompanied by a decrease in serotonin levels in the brain. Because serotonin affects the mood, women often find themselves beset with mood swings, depression and decreased attention capabilities during part of their menstrual cycle. Carbohydrate consumption may be an attempt by women to increase their serotonin levels and regulate their moods. Basically, women eat carbohydrates to make themselves feel better.

3. Very Low Fat Intake

- Fat is considered ‘bad.’ As mentioned previously, women moreso than men, tend to fear dietary fat. The reasons are typically because of the misconception that eating fat will automatically make them gain body fat and the over-hyped association of dietary fat and cardiovascular disease.

- Avoidance of ‘good’ fats as well as ‘bad’ fats. While there is enough research validating the correlation of high consumption of saturated fat with cardiovascular heart disease, women also avoid the fats that are healthy and essential for the body. Mounting research demonstrates that essential fatty acids, such as those derived from fish oils and some plants, are beneficial in several ways. Fish oils have been shown to reduce menstrual symptoms, and a complement of unsaturated fats can reduce inflammation and delayed onset muscle soreness.

4. Excessive calorie restriction

- Self-sabotage. Women are typically very self-conscious of their body image. Depending on individual self-perception or athletic goals, women invariably diet frequently to change their body shape. All too often, dieters tend to reduce their daily calories excessively to achieve their desired body weight. Although an initial weight loss occurs, they invariably sabotage themselves by restricting their calories too much. This often culminates in boredom, a decrease in metabolic rate, and subsequent food bingeing accompanied by rapid weight regain.

5. Too Few Daily Meals

- No breakfast. Due to time constraints, many women don’t eat breakfast, especially mothers. They find it difficult to set aside enough time to prepare some type of meal for themselves to start off the day, often substituting cups of coffee for food. While this may help fat loss, it may also backfire.

- One or two daily meals. Working women often eat only lunch and dinner, but there are also many that eat only once a day. This can work both ways: either these women will eat too much food in those one or two meals, or they don’t eat enough calories.

- Night-eating syndrome. Some women may not eat the entire day and binge during an evening meal. Researchers have recently named this the "Night-eating Syndrome." They found that abstinence from food during the day, especially by working women, instills such a hunger when they arrive home that they binge on high-density foods which interrupts their sleep and often leads to stomach distress. On the other hand, some women who refrain from meals during the working day often are too tired to prepare a meal in the evening and munch on low-nutritive foods that don’t supply the nutrients and calories they need.

6. Lack of or Excessive Exercise

There is no doubt these days that physical activity is beneficial to one’s health. While most women are aware of this, there are a few problems.

- Inactivity. Many women often complain that they are too tired or don't have the time to exercise. Our convenience-based lifestyle also contributes to low levels of activity.

- Excessive aerobics. Conversely, there are many more women who think that more is better. Numerous women do copious amounts of aerobic exercise with the belief that more is better. In many instances, women overly increase their total daily energy deficit, lose precious muscle mass, and wonder why they stop losing weight and feel continually fatigued.

7. The Fear of Iron.

- Women fear muscle. Most women these days fear muscle; they "don’t want to get big." This is, of course, the most common fallacy I have experienced amongst the female populace. While this fear is partially founded in cultural and sociological influences, it also reveals a lack of realism. Women do not have the same levels of testosterone, the primary hormone that is required for increases in muscle size, and consequently will not gain excessive muscle mass.

- Women fear weight training. Lifting weights historically has been associated with men and big muscles. Interestingly, after women tell me they don’t want to get ‘big’ and they are asked if they want to get stronger, the answer is nearly always, "Yes." Women need to be educated on the benefits of weight training and the favorable changes it can have on the body and the mind. Gaining strength does not require having massive muscles.

- Women want to "tone." Most women do not fully understand what that term means. Since they hear and see it used repeatedly in the media, they think that is what they should be doing: toning. However, most women have no definite conception of what the term means. The term ‘toning’ is erroneously applied to doing countless repetitions with a submaximal weight that does not incrementally challenge the muscle. The weight must be progressively increased for muscles to change and get stronger. Increasing the resistance the muscle must move increases strength or muscle mass.

- Complete reliance on circuit-training machines. Many individuals think that circuit-training machines are all that is necessary for weight training. While they have their place for beginners and individuals with physical limitations, most of the machines do not provide compression loading for increasing bone mineral density, which is important for reducing the risk of osteoporosis. Nor do they incorporate instability to increase a person’s balance and stability, which is required in most daily activities and sports performance.

- Intimidation. Because the free weights are associated with men, many women are unfortunately too intimidated to venture into the free weight area and use free weights. Many men respect the desire and commitment of women who weight train and are generally helpful in imparting advice on exercises.

{side note from Dan: Just be sure that you brush up on gym ettiquette before venturing into the weight room. If you "play by the rules" you will get fewer "glares" from the men. Maybe I will write a little article on that ...}

Sadly, many of these fallacies originate and are perpetuated by the general media. The television and general fitness and health magazines are filled with misinformation and advertisements for gadgets that appeal to a woman’s sense of worth and self-image. Diet and exercise books abound that misrepresent research and recommend doing ineffective exercise programs. As well, women don’t realize how strong they are and how strong they can be.

It’s time for women to break the mold and challenge themselves. This can be accomplished by adopting a sensible program of nutrition and exercise. Favorable changes will appear after a few weeks, but a longtime commitment will insure a healthy and pleasant life.

fern2340
Thu, Aug-23-01, 10:10
Originally posted by Trainerdan
Women’s Fallacies of Training and Nutrition
August 1, 2000
by Elzi Volk

7. The Fear of Iron.

- Women fear muscle. Most women these days fear muscle; they "don’t want to get big." This is, of course, the most common fallacy I have experienced amongst the female populace. While this fear is partially founded in cultural and sociological influences, it also reveals a lack of realism. Women do not have the same levels of testosterone, the primary hormone that is required for increases in muscle size, and consequently will not gain excessive muscle mass.

- Intimidation. Because the free weights are associated with men, many women are unfortunately too intimidated to venture into the free weight area and use free weights. Many men respect the desire and commitment of women who weight train and are generally helpful in imparting advice on exercises.

{side note from Dan: Just be sure that you brush up on gym ettiquette before venturing into the weight room. If you "play by the rules" you will get fewer "glares" from the men. Maybe I will write a little article on that ...}

I agree with this full force!!!! I have heard so many of my friends say that they don't want to get big!! I have tried to explain that lifting weights is not going to make you big like the guys you see on magazines!

Hmmmm.... the number one thing that comes to my mind is DO NOT walk in front of anyone (male or female) while they are doing their exercise and they are using the mirror in front of them. Wait until he/she is done with his/her set to put back your weights or to walk by!
Also, in my experience, before I really knew what I was doing in the weight room :p , guys were very helpful to me in the free weight section!

Anyways, just thought I would add my two cents!!
Good post Dan!

sylvie p
Thu, Aug-23-01, 15:03
I really enjoyed reading your post and found your information helpful and interesting. I formally starting lowcarbing on Atkins in May this year while incorporating a weight training program along with a cardio program and have had excellent results.

Whereas back in January (New Year's resolution thing) I went to the gym 5 days a week during lunch and faithfully did the step classes for two months while doing Weight Watchers. Well I think I lost 5lbs during that time and couldn't figure out why I was so bloody exhausted right after finishing the step classes - you would think I should have had tonnes of energy.

This time around (since May and discovering low carbing) I'm down 19 lbs (losing slowly - but liking it) and losing inches in traditionally hard places for me (hips and thighs) and enjoying my weight training and cardio combined. I have energy to spare!

My two cents.
Sylvie p

razzle
Fri, Aug-24-01, 15:37
Thanks for this 99.9% excellent post. The only inaccuracy in it is such a common misconception, I can hardly complain! Testosterone levels vary, like height, across the sexes. As with height, there is considerable overlap, with some men and women having identical levels. However, through mechanisms still mysterious, when we women build muscle, we do it much more easily on the lower body.

As a woman who would LOVE to add muscle bulk, for both strength and metabolic reasons, I really don't fall in the "fear of size" category. However, I know that I'll never look like a Ms. Olympia contestant! It's just not my body type, and I'll never use drugs nor starve down to those levels of body fat (which I suspect are very unhealthy for women). I'm amused at women who have the fear that they'll become something that takes years of work to achieve for the gentically gifted few. That's like being afraid you'll wake up after a few lessons being able to play the piano like Glenn Gould. Simply won't happen.

Still, if the lifting gods would see fit to make me a competent power lifter, I'd be ever so grateful... ;)

"Toning" is a meaningless word. there is more muscle and less muscle. more body fat and less body fat. There ain't nothin' else.

I'm often the only woman in the weight room, and the men treat me great, btw--the post is correct about that.

And there's no better time than while LCing to put on muscle mass. I'm wearing clothes at this weight I once could only wear at 12 pounds less--that suggests 12 pounds extra of muscle from higher protein intake.

Homegirl
Sun, Sep-02-01, 00:55
Do give us a write up re etiquette in the weight room.

Would really like to know in case I ever get the nerve up to venture outside my home to work out at a gym!

fern2340
Sun, Sep-02-01, 18:42
Originally posted by Homegirl
Do give us a write up re etiquette in the weight room.

Would really like to know in case I ever get the nerve up to venture outside my home to work out at a gym!

Homegirl,
While I'll leave the whole write up about gym etiquette to Dan, I will give some pointers here.....
1. Do not walk in front of someone (to put down weights, to get to a machine, etc.) when they are using the dumbells in front of a mirror. Nothing irks someone more than when you are in the middle of a heavy set and you're checking your form in the mirror and someone either walks in front of you or just stands there...
2. Wipe off the machines with a towel/paper towel after you are done using them if you have sweat on them. Obviously there are a lot of sweaty people in the gym but no one wants to workout in your sweat!
3. If you are not sure if someone is still using a machine, ask before you sit down and start using it. Sometimes people just go to the water fountain in between sets.... it's better to ask than to have someone come back from in between sets and you be on their machine.
4. The gym is not social hour! While you can talk and have a good time, remember people are trying workout. Do not go stand next to people that are trying to workout and laugh obnoxiously..... (FYI...I like to socialize at the gym but I also know not to stand real close to people and be obnoxiously loud!)

Ok, that's all I can think of for now.... Dan, I'll leave the rest to you (please add to your list about "stalking".... :) )

Trainerdan
Tue, Sep-04-01, 21:02
I am working on an article on it ... but just to add to Fern's already good list (she covered most of them) ...

- Re-rack the weights when you are done.

- No cell phones.

- On machines, share the equipment. If someone asks "Can I work in?" it means that they want to do their sets in between yours. It is good ettiquette to do so ...

- If you are at the water fountain, and you are refilling a large bottle and notice that a line is forming behind you and none of them have bottles, it is ettiquette to let them go a grab their sips.

More later ...

fiona
Wed, Sep-05-01, 11:07
Dan/Fern

Excellent. Informative. Inspiring. I feel challenged to set myself some new goals.

Lots I can identify with. {Too Little Dietary Protein } Definitely one of my big mistakes for many years. {Protein is expensive} : I always went for the cheapest – besides most food experts claim carbs are the best nutrition. {Vegetarian diet. } I truly believed that was the best for many years and condemned non-vegs. I know better now.

{Too Many Carbohydrates } Guilty. Guilty. Guilty. {Women eating primarily carbohydrates may feel hungry again shortly afterwards.} Soooooo true. I could never understand how people could live without eating regularly … by regularly I mean every 2-3 hours or so! Now I have to remind myself that missing a meal might bring on those dreaded carb cravings so even if I am not hungry it is better to have something.

{Because serotonin affects the mood, women often find themselves beset with mood swings, depression and decreased attention capabilities during part of their menstrual cycle. Carbohydrate consumption may be an attempt by women to increase their serotonin levels and regulate their moods. Basically, women eat carbohydrates to make themselves feel better. } I used to give myself an incredibly hard time for doing that. Since I started Atkins there has been a marked improvement in this aspect for me. I am no longer on an even or upwardly mobile track for two weeks and steeply downhill for two weeks. However I have not quite got the balance right yet. I tend to decrease my exercise if not stop it altogether and that sets up a vicious cycle. It still feels a struggle to continue with my exercise schedule for at least one week of the month.

However there are some very good pointers in this post. I could visit this forum more often. Plan to.

Take care

hairpin
Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:15
Thanks so much for the "fear of iron" section. I feel like I'm having some minor problems dealing with body image right now... My arms, specifically my biceps, have grown more than what I'm used to seeing. Back when I started working out one of my goals was being able to do 10 straight-legged pushups. Now while I'm almost there and it feels great, I don't feel that I really look good for it. I feel like my arms look worse everytime I flex. :( My husband says I look fine, but I don't really believe him. And he says there is no way around it... If I want to be able to do push-ups correctly, my arms are just going to get bigger and there is no way around it.

I realize this is mostly a personal problem. I need to change my view of women that are strong. Do you know of a good media source, where I can go to try and do this?

Another thought I have had: Maybe I need to start doing more leg training to balance myself out? I've been doing squats and lunges with a pair of 10 lb dumbells, and then using the same pair of 10 lb dumbells to do curls, overhead extensions, flyes, front raises, etc... Is it possible to do an effective leg/weighted workout at home without joining a gym? Lots of questions, I know. But I feel like I need a lot of help. :lol:

Thanks!

LisaS
Mon, Mar-15-04, 18:49
: Maybe I need to start doing more leg training to balance myself out? I've been doing squats and lunges with a pair of 10 lb dumbells, and then using the same pair of 10 lb dumbells to do curls, overhead extensions, flyes, front raises, etc... Is it possible to do an effective leg/weighted workout at home without joining a gym? Lots of questions, I know. But I feel like I need a lot of help. :lol:

Thanks!

how much do you want to spend :) - you can get more DB of higher weights - a pair of 15lb, 20lb, 25lb, 30lb, etc.
you can buy a Barbell & weights & weight bench & power cage and do nearly every freeweight exercise possible.

You can hold DB and do step ups (usually harder than squats for same weight)- you can raise step height as you get fitter in legs --- etc.

you can put DBs in a back pack and do squats/lunges/stepups instead of holding DB in your hands.

hairpin
Mon, Mar-15-04, 19:01
Thanks, Lisa. I'd probably be up for buying a home gym as I'm into saving money. But I'd have to do some research to see how effective the home gym option is compared to a formal gym.

elmuyloco5
Mon, Mar-15-04, 19:12
I totally agree!

My husband and I are starting to do CKD in hopes of boosting our metabolism and help us lose this pudge!!

I actually like working with weights a lot more than walking on my treadmill although I know I need both. I still would be very uncomfortable working at a gym (not that I can with three little kids.....not gonna pay childcare). So I prefer my home equipment. But I do think women dont' work with weights enough.

And as far as the diet patterns you were dead on! I was skipping breakfast (by the time I had time to eat is was 10am....almost lunch anyway) and I would eat things not good for me because the kids wouldn't eat everything, or I didn't want to make two meals. SO I would eat peanut butter and jelly and mac and cheese when they did. I'm also guilty of the night time eating. Most days taking care of three kids and homeschooling them, I wouldn't get a breather until they went to bed at 7pm. Then I was ravenous! I would eat like a maniac just trying to make up for earlier. And then ofcourse it was bedtime. Although I was busy with kids, it's not like I was jogging everywhere and so I got little exercise (our house is only 1300 sqft....not much room to have to walk to do something). Between that and pregnancies in wheelchairs I had grown from 135 to 240lbs. I'm so glad I saw the light before I got bigger!'

Here's to strong beautiful women!!!!

FrecklFluf
Mon, Mar-15-04, 19:30
Thanks for the info, Dan. I am, unfortunately, one of those women that tends to bulk up "down under," but even so, most of us will never look like Ah-nold, or even a female bodybuilder. Now that I've started working out, my hips, thighs and legs are shrinking, and my shoulders are getting a little bigger—exactly the results I want!

With the exception of some female athletes, the average woman eats insufficient protein. There are many reasons for this.Interestingly, I found that after I started Atkins, and before I started working out, the increased protein (I think) made me stronger after a month or so. I could tell that I was able to do more with my muscles.

trustycat
Tue, Mar-16-04, 08:30
I'd def like to start lifting weights so that i can build muscle--but at the gym, all the girls are on the elliptical/cardio machines and all the boys are on the weight lifting machines. I'm too embarrassed/scared to wander into forbidden territory, lol. Besides, those machines are confusing!

robo-robyn
Tue, Mar-16-04, 09:00
It's nice that this thread got resurrected :)
Don't fear the free weights! I rarely use weight machines at the gym (only to mix things up a bit every once in a while, of course - they have their purpose) and stick to using dumbbells and barbells. I just think they are better for learning balance and coordination and really getting to know your muscles (really!). You just have to get into your own little zone and forget all those other people in the gym while you're lifting (but, oh, i'd love a home gym...)
This is a really good site re: women and weight lifting: http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html . I'm sure it's been referenced here before, but another ref can't hurt.
Cheers,
Robyn