Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 14:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179.5/170.4/155 Female 5'3
BF:don't know
Progress: 37%
Default Feeling really dizzy, tired and almost balcking out

I have been really tired today dizzy headed. Now I feel like I need to go lay down for a nap, this is day ten. I have not felt sleepy at all through this, this morning I felt like I maybe blacked out for 2 seconds. I not sure what is going on. Tested my urine Yest. for the first time and it said I was in ketosis, it was medium purple. I'm going to go lay down.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 14:32

Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default wow

Lacey, I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I think Dr A says that in cases like your it can help to add a few carbs in to slow ketosis. I'm on day 17 and feel terrible so I'm going to see if a few more carbs help.

But be carfeul -- I've heard folks say that eating carbs all of a sudden can make them sick, too.

Hope you feel better soon!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 14:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I've heard folks say that eating carbs all of a sudden can make them sick, too.

That can happen, but only if you make a big jump all at one time (aka the carb binge). What Dr. Atkins is suggesting is that you increase your daily carb limit to 25 or 30 if you are feeling lousy at 20 grams and see if that helps.
Lacey...are you taking any supplements and drinking plenty of water?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 14:52

Default reply

Yes I drink my water. I have not felt this tired since I started though, no I have not been taken any vit. It is the week before my per. does that effect you any diff. ANd do you guys have a regular one. I have had trouble, in the past cause mine would not last but only a day, so I don't want it to sto agian, I need it, I want more children in the furture.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 15:38

Plan: Arkins
Stats: 206/206/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Lacey, it sounds to me like you are dehydrated. Drink, drink, drink that water, and perhaps look at some of the pedialyte type drinks, I'm not sure they have carbs in them or not, but you sound very dehydrated. Be careful not to drink things like coffee or tea that have a diuretic effect.

Hope you feel better!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 18:01

Default water

I drink like 9- 10 glasses of h2o a day. So I don't think it's that.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 19:04

BF:

Quote:
no I have not been taken any vit.

Well...since you are drinking plenty of water, it sounds more like you are low on potassium, calcium or magnesium (or all 3). It's recommended that you supplement with all of these during induction at least because the diuretic effect of the diet can cause you to lose quite a bit of these minerals and make you feel like doo-doo.
A good all-purpose multi-vitamin as well wouldn't hurt.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 20:37

Stats: 245/245/155
BF:
Default Dizzy & Sick

Make sure you're taking a mulit-vitamin, potassium, calcium and do not take extra IRON. ..

This is what they emailed me when I asked about these problems... They said that I could also add a cup of allowed veggies until I got through the withdrawals. They said if I could manage and hold out that the symptoms of carb withdrawal would go away after a couple of days...

maybe you could check out their site www.atkins.com and then shoot them an email about your problem...

-ginger
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 00:23
Registered Member

Stats: 157/139.2/126.8 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:no idea!
Progress: 59%

Hi Lacey O

I also blacked out a couple of weeks ago. The doctor said the most likely culprit was low blood sugar level.

Are you eating enough and eating frequently? For example, I try to have a (low carb) snack late afternoon if I know it's going to be a late dinner that night.

Julie
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 07:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/189/160
BF:
Progress: 40%

I had this problem in the beginning too. It almost made me want to quit until I got on the scale and realized what I had lost. When you feel dizzy, eat *A* cracker....(or *a* something else like gum or something) However, your culprit is no vitamins. I wouldn't recommend this diet without vitamins, because it is obvious that you won't be getting enough of what you need.

You are going to get through this. It will be worth it for Kaeden and yourself!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 07:40

BF:

One more caution about the supplements. If you are taking a diuretic or blood pressure medication, check with your doctor or pharmacist before adding additional potassium. Some of those medications are what is known as "potassium sparing" which could lead to an overdose of potassium if you add more through supplements.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 10:04

Default reply

Howdy, feeling good today weighted and two more pounds are off. I started taken my left over prenatal vit. hope thats not bad, better then nothing, right. So thanks for all the advice. ALso does anyone know if this diet effects your cycle, mine is earlier than usual. Could it be effect of losing some weight.? Thanks . Lacey O
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 10:15

BF:

Lacey, prenatal vitamins are great, that's for sure, but someone suggested not extra iron, and prenatals are about as high in iron as you can get. I don't know why they said not extra iron, but just a heads up! When I had my last baby (1 1/2 years ago) I took my prenatals until they were gone and then started taking Centrum Women's Formula and it helps me tremendously, but I was iron-low, borderline anemic, quite often, so it helps me.

Lori
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 10:23

Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default feeling icky

It sounds like minerals really helped everyone. I'm concerned, though, because I'm taking all the potassium, calcium, magnesium recommended, plus fiber, plus vitamins, plus tons of water -- and still feel like crap at day 18.

Seriously, I can hardly move, feel gross, no appetite (I force myself to eat & get 1200 cals a day), plop into bed the minute I get home from work, bonk during the WARMUP period of exercise classes, etc.

Though I"m not hungry (far from it), this low energy level reminds me of the feeling that comes with severe calories restriction: my body just doesn't have enough energy to move. it possible that there are some people who just cannot make the metabolic adjustment necessary to this diet?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 10:41

BF:

Rrhhaazz, I'm new to this, but is it possible that you're not getting enough carbs? In another post, I asked how many you should have on the induction and it's 20 but sometimes you have to add in another 5 depending on how you do. In fact, I was told that if you start at 20 and get into ketosis, then you add 5 at a time until you start to go out of ketosis, then go back down. That way you can stay in ketosis.

If you're miserable I just don't think it's worth it, I'd consider some other weight loss measure.