Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 11:49

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 398/391/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Talking Worked for MEEEEE!!!!

Hey Gang!

Just wanted to share something that busted me out of a 6 week stall!!!

I had been doing the right things...weight training at least 2x/wk, cardio at least 2 or 3x/wk, careful with my carbs (although not completely strict, more like I would eat too many veggies or a few too many LC tortillas) and I had not lost weight OR inches in a long time. I was COMPLETELY FRUSTRATED and at the point where I just thought that it was impossible for me to lose anymore weight! I was hovering around the same 5 pounds and I kept thinking "if I step on this scale ONE MORE TIME and see 270, someone's gonna get hurt!"

I started searching the internet for tricks to break LC stalls and I came across another forum where people were RAVING about the success that they had with a certain method. Basically, it goes right along with the Fat Fast that Dr. Atkins recommends except it's stricter. It's an "Egg Fast"! All you eat are eggs. You can mix the eggs with fats like butter, bacon grease, mayo etc. but NO other foods. No cheese, meat, veggies etc. JUST eggs.

I have found many benefits to doing this. 1- heavy ketosis immediately 2- The decreased appetite associated w/ ketosis 3- All cravings for sugar and carbs completely gone allowing me to think clearly about my food choices.

It just allows you to start FRESH! I did the egg fast for a total of 3 days last week and I lost FOUR pounds!!! YEEAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

I mostly ate egg salad, scrambled eggs and fried but I'm sure more creative minds could come up with something better!

Oh yeah, the only downsides that I experienced was that it DID make my tummy hurt a little bit. Nothing extreme just a little gassy.

If anyone tries this let me know your results!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 12:29

Plan: low-carb;modified atkins
Stats: 251/238/115 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default thumbs up!

That's cool...I had seen the fat fast..but never the egg one you did. Maybe I'll give it a whirl. Tell us how you ate your eggs.....

4 poShannon's Fitday unds is great!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 12:30

Plan: low-carb;modified atkins
Stats: 251/238/115 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default repeat

sorry..I don't know why it did that!

it said 4 pounds is great!!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/150/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 133%

Wow, tesia (starchile)....you are gorgeous!! You don't look your weight at all (we are about the same height, wish I looked that good!!).

Way to go!!

Last edited by Laika : Wed, Apr-16-03 at 15:17.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 13:42
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Ditto - Starchile, what a beautiful picture!

Eggs and fat, huh? Not sure I would last 3 days. Maybe two. Or one.....
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 14:59

BF:
Talking THANKS!

Thank you ladies for the compliments!!!!!

Yeah! Eggs and fat. You know it's easier than you think! You have absolutely no cravings for anything b/c of all the fat and you feel satisfied faster b/c of the ketosis and the fat so....
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 20:21
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Perfect time of year to try this...I look around and all I see are hard boiled Easter eggs! Think I'll give it a shot when I get back from the holiday activities.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 05:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/205/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 47%

im thinking i may give this a try myself ..been having cravings like crazy and wanting to snack i need to get back to no cravings like i was before ..thanks for the info !!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 15:18

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Sorry but we have to a little sexist once in a while, the first thing I thought was about the post was, the major babe in that picture can't possibly weight 266.

Very cool about the eggs, sounds much safer than what I always recommend to break a stall - Fruit Loops and Mountain Dew.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 09:27

BF:
Default HAHA!!!

Thanks George BUT that was actually not ONLY Sexist but SIZEIST as well!

In all truth I weighed MORE than 266 pounds in that picture...that was taken almost a year ago.

Thanks for the compliment though!

Yeah, if anyone tries it let me know! I've been using egg meals to keep my carbs down super low!! IT's soooo easy! I'm not going to do it for much longer but it's been really good to help keep me on track.

Peace,
T
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 11:53

Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%
Unhappy help

Help !!
I've been stalled for over 3 months, I've tried egg fast but it didn't help me, I have even gained two pounds. I really need some help, I am getting discouraged.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 21:50

Stats: 223.5/192.5/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

What did u add with the eggs? Im doing the egg fast right now thanks to this post. Hopefully it will work for me! I've been stalled for about 3 weeks. Make sure if you do the egg fast you don't add a lot of carbs. I have been adding only fat like butter or oil. Fried eggs with onion powder are realllly good!! I'm going to hardboil some for tomorrow.

You might want to try the fat fast that Atkins talks about in his book. I have heard that works good too!

Also, check out the book The Secret to Low Carb Success: How to get the most out of your low carbohydrate diet by Laura Richards... it's all about getting off plateaus and stalls. Amazon has it for a good price.

Good luck!

Katie
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 12:10

Stats: 223.5/192.5/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I HAVE BROKEN MY STALLLLLL!!!!! WHOOHOOO!

After a 3 week stall between 216 - 217.5 I have broken my stall this morning weighing in at 214.5 YEAAHHH!!

So what did it? This glorious egg fast that blessed starchile told us about. Thank you starchile. I think I will continue with my 3rd day of egg fast just to be sure the weight doesn't come back on and I am sure that I'm past my stall.

Anyone who's been stalled for some time should try this... just add oil and butter to the eggs and seasoning(onion powder is yummy).... NO CARBS I didn't even use cream.

Katie
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 13:11
Registered Member

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Starchile

I noticed that you live in Arcata, I am sitting at my desk at Coast Central Credit Union in Arcata at this moment. I have been looking for an idea to break my stall, but after living and work on a egg ranch for 5 years, being really poor, getting all the free eggs I could eat, I just can not handle eating nothing but eggs for a few days. I think I will work out longer each day instead!
Have you found a good place to buy low carb products in the area?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 18:00

BF:
Thumbs up YEAAHHHH!!!!!

KATIE GIRL!-- Congratulations!!!! I'm soooo happy that it worked for you!!!! YOu are right! I didn't add ANYTHING except salt and pepper. It's not nearly as hard as it might sound, eh???

Cohenlin-- Yeah!!! Another Humboldtian!!!! Yeah, I'm here and too bad I didn't know you were around a couple of weeks ago! I just had a low carb potluck at my house! It was cool...got some great recipes! Lessee, I usually buy my LC supplies online but you might know that Winco and the Co-op carry LC tortillas and Vitamin world at the mall carries an ok selection of Atkins products. Safeway in Arcata carries the ATkins icecream and I think someone told me that Safeway in Mckinleyville (???) carries some atkins products. All in all though I try to stay away from the fake stuff, I realized that these things stall me.

Nice to meet you!!! We should stay in touch!

Peace,
T