Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 11:53

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I didn't do my Hips, Abs and Thighs class yesterday because I was too stiff and sore when I got up first thing, and knew that I wouldn't be able to participate properly in the class. Had planned to walk in the afternoon, but ended up walking around the shops instead

Body Sculpt again today - today's class is taken by a different instructor, so the routine is slightly different from Tuesday's class. However, I was able to keep up well, and the instructor actually increased the weights on my barbell because she said I look too 'comfortable' - plus, she said that I should increase the weight for leg work and have the lighter weight for upper body work. We also used ankle weights for part of the class - I did have to remove them when doing the leg raises during the floor work session though.

I worked extremely hard - and boy can I feel it now - but it's actually a good feeling - will have a soak in a hot bath later and give myself a rub down with the arnica massage balm

OK, have had a change of plan - was talking to another girl who was doing the class today - she was telling me that she attends the power walk class on Wedesday mornings - it was very interesting, especially when she was saying that it's the technique that makes the difference. I do walk quite a lot, and call it power walking, but in fact it's really just me striding out and walking fast - so I've decided not to do Hips, Abs and Thighs on Wednesdays from now on, but to do the power walk instead.

I had already thought of dropping HATs because I'm finding that a class each day is causing me problems at the moment - plus, I'm not that keen on the aerobics side of the class - as I get fitter though, I'll review this and may decide that I want to take the class again after all.

While I was at the club today, I asked one of the gym instructors if they would measure my body fat - unfortunately the calipers weren't available, so he got me to use the hand-held machine instead. The reading put my BF at 34.5% - at least I know now the baseline I'm working from and what I need to achieve - will ask them to measure it again in a couple of weeks, and I attend to have it done on a regular basis so that I can chart my progress.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 12:10

BF:

Woo hoo - great exercise day today

Supple Strength this morning - a lot more concentration on stretching today - was pleasantly surprised at how much more I can do. One movement I'm especially pleased with is that I can almost do the plank starting at a standing position with one leg stretched out behind!

My balance is also getting considerably better, can now do quad stretches (holding one leg behind) without needing to hold the wall to balance - and tried the yoga 'Eagle' position today - stand on one leg with the other wrapped around it, the same with arms in front of you, elbows bent, then you slowly lower into a 'seated' position, see attached pic. Was quite surprised that I could do it - though I was rather wobbly when I had to balance on my right leg

Then I did the Deep Water Aqua class - again very enjoyable and I could feel that I was getting a good work out. This class is done in the deep end of the pool, so we wear flotation devices - the 'bobbing' around in one takes a bit of getting used to - but very good for the abs, as you use these to keep yourself upright and stable in the water

Last edited by Demi : Fri, Nov-14-03 at 12:12.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 14:29

BF:

A very good Pilates session this evening

I can definitely see/feel an improvement - and I was able to advance each movement - even my plank is beginning to look good

Had planned to check my Pilates inter-active kit today as well, but didin't have time in the end - plan to do it later this week.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 06:14

BF:

Good body sculpt session yesterday - increased my weight for leg work, as suggested by the instructor last Thursday

OK, now I do go out walking on a fairly regular basis - and I thought that I was REALLY walking - i.e., power walking - however, I've found out today that what I was doing was just strolling

Have just completed my power walk class - not studio based, but an actual walk which starts from the club and wends its way through the nearby country park, which includes a number of steep hills There are various levels in the class, those who are more able strike out in front and those, like me, who are not fit enough or are just beginning, take up the rear but it's not a problem -the instructor keeps a close eye on everyone

The instructor told me not to bother with technique too much today, but did advise me to concentrate on striking with the heel, rolling through the step and pushing off with my toes and not to overstride.

To go faster, you actually take smaller steps, digging the heel in more and this is where the 'wiggle' comes in - it helps you to go faster without breaking into a run.

We covered a 4 mile circuit in just under an hour and I managed to keep up fairly well, though it was extremely hard work - I was also really proud that I managed to walk up the two main steep hills without stopping One of the girls that I was walking with told me that the first few times she had to stop several times going up them, so it was great that I'd got up in one go - mind you, I think the only reason I did it, was because I knew if I stopped, then I'd never start again

After strerching exercises when we got back, I took a look at myself in one of the mirrors in the changing room and my face was bright red - nearly an hour later it is only just back to its normal colour So, I must have worked very hard Will be interesting to see how my legs 'feel' tomorrow!

Quote:
From thewalkingsite.com:
Fitness walking is called by many different names - power walking, fitness walking, health walking. Power walking is much more than going out for a stroll. It incorporates the muscles of the upper body making it a GREAT aerobic activity. It burns approximately the same calories as a running program, yet it is much easier on the body. Because more muscles are used power walking will burn calories much quicker than less aggressive walking. It also tones muscles in the buttocks, thighs, hips, shoulders, upper back and abs. Most power walkers cover a mile in about 12 to 15 minutes.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 10:43

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 185/180/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
tried the yoga 'Eagle' position today

I have a habit of standing like a "Crane", LOL. My kids just laugh when I do that. Somehow, I doubt it's an official yoga pose either.

Thanks for the wiggle tips! I really need to get outside walking again. It's so easy just to stay in with Leslie and WAP that I forget what "real" walking is like.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 10:03

BF:

Hi Krista - it's nice to see someone else in here besides me, LOL.

No exercise yesterday and I missed it!

OK - today was my supple strength class - and for the first time in I don't know how many years - I can actually bend over and TOUCH MY TOES and I can now hold a proper plank pose without any problems! Really enjoyed the class, especially as I can do so much more - and this in just a matter of weeks

Have booked a gym induction for Monday morning - it's been a while since I've used the gym, so I want to be shown how to use all the equipment again and to have a programme devised for me.

Also bought a pair of trainers today suitable for power walking - the sports shop was extremely helpful, and made sure that I got the right pair for me Will try them out over the weekend, as I'm planning a walk (as long as the rain holds off).
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 06:30

BF:

Have just got back the photos I took for the start of the HIFTH challenge - unfortunately, they are not very good, and because of shadowing, I look bigger than I am - I'm going to take some more this week, but have attached the originals here anyway.

Last edited by Demi : Sun, Nov-23-03 at 06:32.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 11:12

BF:

This week's schedule:

Monday

Gym Induction
Pilates

Tuesday
Body Sculpt

Wednesday
Power Walk

Thursday
Body Sculpt
Tai Chi (possibly)

Friday
Supple Strength
Deep Water Aqua

Am also hoping to use the weights in the gym for at least half an hour on a daily basis
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 06:25

BF:
Wink Wobbly Legs

OK, have just returned from my gym re-induction - with extremely wobbly legs and shaky arms to say the least! - though the instructor was pleased with how I got on and the amount of weight I could manage

Having spoken to the instructor on what my aims were, he guided me around a number of upper body and lower body machines, as well as some free weight exercises and some abs-specific exercises using a swiss ball.

I forgot to take a note pad with me to copy down each exercise, weight and reps from my gym card, but will make sure I do tomorrow, so that I can also keep a record here

Discussed the classes that I am taking at the moment and he suggested that I'm not doing enough cardio. So, I'm dropping tomorrow's body sculpt in return for the Cardio Funk class. Am also going to see what else I can add - he did say that the KickBoxercise class would be excellent - but when I went to book it, it has been cancelled and they're not sure if it will start up again I think I'll get a video I can follow at home for the time being
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 01:58

BF:

Good session at Pilates last night but my arms and legs were quite sore from the gym induction.

My instructor has said that I should get my blood pressure checked as I felt dizzy several times during the evening - mainly during child's pose - I've always had fairly low blodd pressure, and she thinks it could be too low now

I won't be going to Cardio Funk this morning - I'm not feeling very well and my muscles are really, really sore - so I'm hoping that a day off will help - might do some stretching exercises later using my swiss ball.

Planning to read the Body Sculpting Bible for Women today, it's a two-week lifting programme - and I'm wondering if this will perhaps suit me better than BFL.

Last edited by Demi : Tue, Nov-25-03 at 02:46.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 06:20

BF:

This morning's power walk was cancelled due to the bad weather, so worked out in the gym instead.

20 minutes on treadmill - fast walking

Squats - 2 x 15 70 (had to reduce weight to 50 for second reps)
Chest Press - 2 x 12 30
Fly - 1 x 15 15
Lat Pull - 1 x 15 50 both arms - 1 x 20 50 single arm
Single Arm Row - 1 x 15 45 each arm
Tricep Pull Down - 2 x 12 20
Lunges - 1 x 15 F/w body bar
Lat Raises - 2 x 12 F/w 3
Bicep Curl - 2 x 12 F/w 5

Fitness Ball:
Crunches 2 x 15
Back Extension 2 x 15

+ Fitness Ball - Level One exercises:
sitting/standing spinal allignment
balanced sitting with heel raise
stablised sitting with thoracic rotation
balanced half squat
stablised 4 point kneeling with leg slide
balanced alternate leg extensions
balanced pelvic tilt
balanced sitting - rolling down to balanced bridge

Also used a Stretch Trainer to stretch out lower/upper back, hamstrings, glutes, hips, inner thighs, groin, shoulders and quads
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 14:51

BF:

Excellent but tough Body Sculpt session today

Our usual instructor was ill, so we had the advanced BS instructor The advanced is a lot more cardio based - so there I was doing an aerobics work out with hand weights - OMG!

Amazingly though, I actually enjoyed it - most probably because I can do so much more weight and stamina wise in only a few weeks

Talking to the instructor afterwards, I said that I had enjoyed the workout but found it very tough as I was still a 'beginner', but she said that I had done brilliantly and perhaps I would like to join her advanced class on a Monday - so I might just do that, but after Christmas!
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 03:43

BF:

Good Supple Strength session on Friday – though I was feeling stiff and sore from the previous day’s body sculpt. However, by the end of the class I felt good – very stretched, tall. Have noticed that my posture is improving considerably – although it’s always been fairly good, I can consciously feel that I no longer ‘slouch’ when sitting.

Did the Deep Water Aqua class, but am wondering if it has any benefits?? It doesn’t really stretch me, and I think I would benefit far more from just swimming. So I think that I’ll swim straight after supple strength and not bother with the Deep Aqua class – then that will be another cardio taken care of.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 03:54

BF:

Latest HIFTH challenge stats:

Chest (broadest part) – 38 (down 1")
Ribcage(under boobs, women only) – 33 (down 1")
waist, smallest measurement – 29.5 (down .5")
waist, at belly button – 34 (down 2")
high hip, 3 inches below belly button – 40 (down 1")
hip/rear - biggest part - 42
thigh - fullest part - 24*
thigh - 4" above knee - 20* (down 1")
calf - widest part - 16* (down .5")
ankle - 9*
wrist - across bone - 6.5*
forearm - biggest part - 10* (down .5")
bicep - biggest part – 12.5* (down .5")
* all left side measurements

Total inches lost this month: 9
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 12:34

BF:

Power walk this afternoon - walked approximately 3.5 miles in 50 minutes - most power walkers cover a mile in about 12 to 15 minutes, so I'm pleased with that

The first part of the walk was on road, and then I was able to switch to bridle paths and footpaths for the rest of it Some good inclines to go up as well, which had my heart rate climbing