Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 09:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/230/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Accidental "Custard filled" doughnut bites

I made these from a doughnut recipe I modified, and got an amazing surprise when I bit into a warm, freshly made one!

1 scoop (28.4g) Vanilla Ice Cream Whey Protein Mix (total carb count 2, one from sugar)
(I use Optimum Nutrition Brand)
1 stick butter, melted
2 Tbsp. Splenda
1 tsp. Xylitol (not necessary if sensitive to sugar alcohols)
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 jumbo egg

Splenda for dusting after cooking, if desired, but no necessary.

2 C. desired type of cooking oil for deep frying. Heat on medium to medium high heat.

Combine ingredients in a bowl and whisk or beat with electric mixer till thoroughly combined, making a thick batter. Drop by tabelspoonfuls into *very hot* oil. Flip when golden to brown both sides. (Only a few seconds, so be ready!) Drain on paper towel. Makes about 8-12 small doughnuts, depending on batter thickness.

The trick to making these is to cook them *very* fast without burning them *or* the oil. It takes a bit of practice, but once you get the timing down, the outside cooks to a gently crispy golden brown, but leaves a small amount of the inside all melted and gooey. When I bit into one, it was much like the creamy filling of Bostom Creme custard!

If cooked on a bit lower heat, they cook through thoroughly, and taste much like glazed doughnuts without the glaze! Powder with Splenda or cinnamon.

Feels like cheating without the guilt! Eat them all yourself or share with someone you love!

Caution: Don't even try them if you have terrible cravings! They are terribly irresistable!

(Note: I use Xylitol because I found it heightens and enchances the sweetness of Splenda, and also discovered in small amounts that it helps keep things... "regular", which can be a problem for some. Xylitol can be left out with same results achieved.)

(Edited: changed Inositol to Xylitol - sorry for the confusion)

Last edited by Fantasia : Thu, Mar-27-03 at 10:07.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: somersizing/atkins
Stats: 147/139/135
BF:20%
Progress: 67%

Hi Fantasia, these sound wonderful. Could you please explain to me what inosyto is though and where I would buy it
thanks
Wendy
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 10:06

BF:

Woops! I need to edit my posts. I confused xylitol with Inositol. Sorry for the confusion!

Xylitol is a sugar substitute, a sugar alcohol, like maltitol. It has a crsytal look just like sugar and behaves like sugar in recipes.

You can get it at health food stores. Be careful how much you eat, because it can have a laxative effect if used in amounts over the serving size. Some people also find sugar alcohols stall their weight loss, especially if they are metabolic resistant or pre-diabetic/insulin resistant.

Serving Size - 1 tsp.
Calories- 10
Total Carbs - 4
sugar - 0
sugar alcohol - 4

You can subtract the sugar alcohol if you find it doesn't affect you, hence, 0 carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 62/58/54
BF:
Progress: 50%

What I don't understand is how can you get 8 or even 12 doughnuts from so little amount of dough?
Kati
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 01:15

BF:

The amount you get depends on how generous the tablespoon is that you drop into the oil. They fluff nicely as they cook, so a large amount is not needed. This is definitely something one person could eat safely and stay under the induction limit. Remember, these are small doughnut bites, not like large regular sized doughnuts.

The recipe makes about a cup or so of batter, which works out to 16 tablespoons. It also rises a bit as it sits while you wait for the oil to get hot.

Made a batch tonight for my DH to try. (I experiment in the morning when I get home from work, after he leaves to go to work.) He loved them!

Last edited by Fantasia : Sat, Mar-29-03 at 01:19.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 06:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/118
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default calorie content

Can I make these donuts on Induction?

Also what is the nutritional content of them?
Calories, fat, carbs?

I can't wait to try them.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 19:22

Stats: 146/137/130
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi

I made these last night - YUM! They reminded me of zepolas - an Italian deep fried sweet dough, traditionally served on March 19, St. Joseph's Day. Of course I couldn't eat any zepoli this year but these "donuts" make a great substitute.

I prefered them cooked through as opposed to with the custard center. The interior texture was similar to that of a Dunkin Donut's french cruller.

As far as the carbs, I think the whole cup of batter is about 5.6 grams. I think I made about 10 or 12 donuts (and shared them with my husband) - we even left one on the plate which I ate at breakfast.

I will defininately make these again! But I do have to say, I felt very guilty eating them (a whole stick of butter ~ yeow!)

Rosemary