Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 14:28

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%
Default don't read if you don't want to know some of the results

Yes poor Stuart the trucker...my heart went out to him when they decided that Slimfast was his torture, I mean diet....
He wasn't featured in the article.

Ok I'm going to ruin it for you now, here come some other results.

Gillian Eton (WW)..the night-time binger that we all saw ducking behind her fridge door, gnawing on the cadburys...She's has lost 1st 7lbs.

John Berry, wants to be a WW leader, he lost 1st 12lbs.

Lisa Osbourne (RC), the bubbly blonde who's mum thought she had a drink problem, and who we say getting tipsy on holiday, falling up the steps (bless her) .. lost 1st 6lbs.

Stephanie Holland (Slimfast), she was the one who cried when she tried that horrible slimfast pasta and went to the school reunion, lost 2 st.

Dr Chris Mair, Atkins (Rah rah) lost 4st .. unfortunately says he's still not sure whether he would recommend the diet...suffered with headaches, diarrhoea, exhausion during the first month.

Think some of us have been there too...unfortunately most of us suffer the same symptoms now if we deviate from the diet.

Linda Turner, Atkins (Rah rah again) lost 2st 1lb. I think this was the lady who had all the gym equipment in her house but never used it.

That's all, no mention of Stuart the trucker, the Liverpudlian lady with buster the dog or the lovely South African lady running the cafe in Edinburgh. So we can look forward to finding out how they got on by the end of the 6 months.

Sorry this is long
Ali
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 15:05

Plan: ?
Stats: 1/1/1 Male 1
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Show has convinced me!!

Hi all
I was always very dimissive of Atkins, now i am eating humble pie and in my induction phase(day 2).

I think the show has put it in a very positive light and for me the Doctor and the Edinburgh lady are an inspiration.

Please check out my intro in this forum, and get in touch!!

I think there is so much good support in this forum and the fitday site is brill for keeping track, so glad i found you all
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 06:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%

Was I the only person who cried when buster the dog died? I felt so bad for her, you can see that she is already comfort eating..
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 06:54

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

What was all that about the Dr losing a stone of muscle?? A bit worrying, but what about all the other atkins people? And at least they are clear that this woe does not put your cholsterol up..

And what was his wife like??? She had said at the beginning that she did not want him to be too successful as it would make her look bad.

The role of comfort eating was so clear in lots of the stories. I read a v good book about that, called 'The Solution'.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 11:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/132/121
BF:23/23/20
Progress: 35%
Default buster

I'm afraid I also shed tears for Buster - but they milked it, with the soft focus camera and empty fields.

Some of the conclusions are up on the website, but no real results data. I wish they'd tell us more about HDL etc...

And it looks like Jenny from Edinburgh may have found her man.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 19:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/196/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Geez, it sounds like I am missing the best TV soap opera / reality show ever!
How long has this program been on? Is a stone 12 or 14 pounds? That doctor fellow must have dropped quite a load.
Hope BBC Amerrica (or whoever) re-runs this show in the states. Are people there in Britian making book (betting) on this programs outcome?
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 04:34

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Yes, it was compusive viewing. A stone is 14lbs. The winner (not atkins) lost 4 1/2 stone.

I was amazed by some of the people, because if I was being filmed and weighed and measured for TV I would stick to the diet and do the exercise. I could not bear the shame!!! SOme people were unrepentant in the way they got stuck into chocolate or bacon rolls. There was an air of rebellion as if the camera was a strict teacher or parent, and they were naughty kids.

I would like to see the full results. Did the Dr lose muscle because he was so less heavy, his muscles had less to do and therefore shrank??

Unusually in my experience, the dietician was sensible and open minded. Her point, that food is everywhere (in western society) and exercise is nowhere is so true. She called it a toxic combination.

BTW I am sure I am not alone in wishing this site allowed stones and 1lbs in the profiles. I find it hard think in lbs only and many UK friends will know the real deep joy of slipping into the stone below, rather than units of 10lbs, if you see what I mean. I guess the long term answer is to accept kilograms. But that seems a very long way off. If I hear about a baby born weighing 3.8 kg, I wonder if we are talking premature or a great big bruiser!!

Last edited by lucyr : Sun, Apr-06-03 at 04:35.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 08:07

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default South Africans the only ones...? I don't think so!

I too cried when Buster died - in fact I sobbed, but I also cried at the end of it all when all those people were soooo glad that they lost their weight - I was so proud of them - silly soppy me!
At work in an office predominatly women - there are bunches of diets going on and they are all dubious of the Atkins diet - but since the Diet Trials I have managed to convert 2 people to my/our way of thinking - they are going to do it - yay! One of the gals made me laugh cos she said it must only be the South African girls who are so keen and eager to do this WOE (me being one and Jenny from Edinburgh another) I giggled and said oh no not at all cos check this forum out and see who else are are keen, eager, dedicated, supportive and a whole bunch of other words about this WOE- she did and she is one of the girls who is going to do it.
Just thought that I'd share that with you all
xx
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 01:56

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs down End of Diet Trials

After being away, I finally got around to seeing the last couple of episodes of Diet Trials. I have summarised the last programme in my journal and in the Media section for anyone who wants to read it.

I thought that this was a great programme overall and it was done a bit like a soap. Whilst there could have been more statistical information given, the programme was not even handed and really wanted to give a non-judgemental overview on all 4 diets.

What I think was positive was that they gave Atkins a clean bill of health, for at least 6 months, so that is very positive when you see how much others knock it.

Yes, I did shed a tear when Buster died. You can see how she then turned to comfort eating as she put on 5 pounds during January.

The fact that the doctor lost a quarter of his weight loss from lean muscle tissue rather than body fat just shows how important exercise is. Not only will you lose more body fat, but you will continually be building lean tissue to more than compensate for any loss.

So well done the BBC - can we have a follow up in 6-months.