Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 23:19

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%
Default Hot Foom Wings

There's been a lot of talk about chicken wings. I'm a huge hot wings fan (pun intended), and have made an LC version that I've already had twice this week.

Enjoy!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hot Foom Wings

Recipe By :Scott Hysmith
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Dinners Side Dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 each chicken wings -- cut up
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon paprika -- (Hungarian)
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne -- ground
2 tablespoons butter
1 each Hot Foom Sauce -- see recipe

Preheat oven to 450.

Cut chicken wings into sections, discarding tips.
Mix Parmesan, paprika, mustard powder, onion powder and cayenne powder in a large resealable bag.
Add chicken wings and toss until evenly coated.

Melt butter on baking sheet until it evenly coats the pan.
Add wings, evenly spaced, and bake at 450 for 40 minutes, turning once halfway through.

Remove cooked wings and toss with prepared Hot Foom Sauce until sauce thickens and clings to chicken.
Serve with dip and cold drinks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 372 Calories; 30g Fat (73.8% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 114mg Cholesterol; 375mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 4 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hot Foom Sauce

Recipe By :Scott Hysmith
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:05
Categories : Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 tablespoon paprika -- (Hungarian)
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

MIx all ingredients together.
Simmer over lowest heat until warm. Do not boil.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 55 Calories; 6g Fat (90.6% calories from fat); trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 16mg Cholesterol; 59mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 23:28

Argh. I forgot to modify my original recipe. (I've been re-writing old "stock" recipes in my personal cookbook as I modify them for LC; I don't always remember everything... )

When I switched from the old flour-and-breadcrumb coating to the parmesan cheese, for some reason the cooking time fell drastically. I'm recommending flip them once at 18 minutes and then check them after about another 10 to see if they still need more time. I've been finding that they tend to be completely cooked about this quickly now.

Another caveat: my wife makes me toss the cooked wings in the sauce outdoors. Turns out when you pour hot pepper sauce over 450 degree wings what you've made is steam that looks and acts a LOT like pepper spray...

Enjoy.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 09:44
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi S_Hysmith:

I'm assuming the "flour" you refer to in the "method" is actually the parmesan, right? This looks really good. I never eat chicken wings (guess it was always on the "forbidden list"), but that thread out in the main forum kinda got me craving them.

BTW, you can edit your posts if you make a mistake or forget to add something. Just click the "Edit/Delete" down at the bottom of the post you want to edit. Then just save your changes.

Now, if you want to delete a message (if you decide to edit the original message and then clean up the unneccesary 2nd post, just click on the "report this post to a moderator" link on the unwanted post and request that they delete the post. It usually takes a day or two before you see the deletion.

HTH. Don't know what I'd do without the "edit" function.

Wanda
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 14:10

Um, whoops.

Yes, that should read "parmesan" instead of "flour".

When I copy my old recipes into my new LC cookbook I don't always remember to proofread them completely. That one slipped past me. Since the Edit link doesn't seem to work after a half day or so, I'll have to ask an administrator to edit the offending post.

It's changed in my local copy now.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 15:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi there,

I've amended the original post to change that nasty "flour" word. Looks like a great recipe thanks

Members may edit their own posts for up to 24 hrs, and may also edit the thread title (if it's the first post in a thread) for up to 55 minutes. After that, a moderator or admin. will be glad to help. The journals are an exception ... members may edit their own posts in their own journals indefinitely. Some members requested this so they could keep weight & measurement charts updated, etc.

Glad to help

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 18:29
Mad Scientist

BF:

OMG, these were sooooo good. I can't remember the last time I had wings. Never on the menu when I did low-fat.

Only problem is I had 10 of them!! Oink!!!!! Totally messed up my stats, but well worth it.

Only problem is figuring how much of the sauce actually gets eaten.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Thu, Feb-27-03 at 18:39.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 19:01

Glad you liked them! I generally count all the sauce as eaten. What doesn't thicken up and stick to the wings I usually pour over them on the serving plate anyway. Wouldn't want to waste any ...

Ten is no big deal. I've been known to make an entire cookie sheet full and sit down with just the whole platter in front of me. This is just about my favorite food of all, and once I get the momentum going it's easy to lose track.

The MasterCook stats are off (as usual - grumph). A whole recipe as written should, according to CalorieKing, come out to around 7.5g for 16 wing pieces, or about 0.5g per wing. So enjoy!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 19:29
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Scott:

These will definately be a regular. My husband says they are the best wings he's ever eaten. I agree. I think I'll make up batches of them in their "coating" and put them in the freezer.

Now that you mention it, I'm wondering if my stats are off too. Those little things don't have much meat on them, yet I apparently ate 89 grams of protein for dinner from 10 wings (510 calories just for the wings). I'm lucky if I eat 4 oz of meat for dinner. I'm going to recheck.

We still had lots of sauce left over so I'll have to kind of eyeball it. Actually, I weighed it on my postal scale, so I'll just throw it back on and calculate the difference.

Thanks again,
Wanda
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 11:23
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi again Scott:

I realized why I gorged so much on these wings. I didn't have enough fat with my meal (only 50% compared to the normal 70%) so it didn't fill me up

I omitted the dip b/c I hate blue cheese. Have you tried other dips that are good high-fat substitutes? I could probably just add some of the hot sauce to some mayo and it would do the trick. But since you are the "wing king", I thought you'd know best.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Fri, Feb-28-03 at 11:27.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 12:27

I think the reason blue cheese works so well is that the sharp flavor of the blue cheese makes a good contrast with the hot sauce. It's been my experience that the best dishes I've tried are made from two sharply contrasting flavors that complement each other. (Karen would have a professional's take on this!)

If you don't like blue cheese (and it really is a love it or hate it kind of thing), many folks have had good luck with ranch dressing. The hot sauce in mayo thing works pretty well (I used to make that as a chip dip all the time; mayo, hot sauce, black pepper, and a little onion powder.), although I don't know that you'd get the contrasting flavors; two different "hots" might actually conflict.

Another idea that's worked in the past for veggies: try mixing a couple tablespoons of a good vinaigrette into mayo or sour cream, to taste, and try that as a dip.

When I run out of blue cheese I generally just eat the wings "bare".
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 20:23
Mad Scientist

BF:

Thanks, Scott. I will try those suggestions. I generally find ranch dressing a bit bland but it might work perfectly with this mix. I'll dig up some recipes.

Wanda
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 19:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

Scott,

You are the man! Your hot foom wings are out of this world.

I used a little less of the hot seasonings (for my taste) and couldn't stop at one serving (too bad a serving is only 2 wings).

Well, from now on they are a treat, can't have them too often. Knocked my calories out of this world too.

Magic
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 20:30

I'm glad you enjoyed them!

A serving size of two wings equals four pieces, so if you only ate two pieces (one drummette and one "middle" piece), you can cut your stats in half.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 22:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

No-way Mr. Wings,

I ate 2 drummettes and 2 middle pieces. I could have eaten 10 pieces with no problem. I'll have to adjust my food some day soon and make way for the cals. They are just too good. I saw my husband eyeing them but he resisted. He's has heart problems and hasn't bought into the fat yet.

Magic
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 05:59

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Hmmm, this is where 'living across the pond' becomes a problem - whilst the majority of the ingredients are easily available here, I've not heard of 'Frank's Red Hot Sauce', which you use for the Hot Foom Sauce

I presume this is a proprietory brand which you can buy at your local store?

Any ideas what I could use as a substitute?