Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 18:57

Plan: Type II Diabetic (Carb/sugar controlled)
Stats: 279/263/180
BF:39
Progress: 16%
Default Type II Diabetic w/ Questions! Help...

Hello;

I am a new Type II Diabeitic this past March 2001.......

Just last week my Doctor started me on monitoring my Blood Sugars & started me on Glucophage XR w/ wvening meal.....

As I did not know what me BS has been the past I am very new at this & have many questions!

All help w/ my questions would be greatly appreciated!

1. I have noticed that I have 3 balanced meals a day that my BS is in the range that my Doc wants to see but if I add a mid morning snack of a piece of fruit & a mid afternoon snack of 2 oz. of peanuts that my BS levels are even better........... Does this make sense? or am I dreaming?

2. Have any of you noticed that your appetite has gone away while taking Glucophage? I can't believe how mine has diminished.... Again am I crazy? or parinoid?

3. And the last question for now .... Did any of you experience anxiety when you were first diagnosed? I am so scared.... and I seem to be having these mini attacks that I causing me to leave work early every other day.... Am I losing my mind or will this subside when I get on a routine?

Thanks in advance for you help in comforting me!!!!

Chris
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 11:25

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Welcome

Finding out that you have diabetes can be very scary and even depressing. It feels like a death sentence but it sure doesn't have to be. Now, people are able to do their own testing and there is lots of information out there for educating yourself. For most people, diabetes is now controllable.
The most important thing you can do is to test yourself often - see what affects your BG. Learn how exercise affects you and how you react to different foods.
Also, about the anxiety attacks at work. Next time you feel this way, check your blood sugar. You may be having low blood sugar which can cause you to feel shaky, anxious, tired - all sorts of feelings. Not all diabetics have low blood sugar. And, for some people, the blood sugar doesn't have to go very low for them to have the feelings. The low blood sugar feeling can be caused by a rapid drop, or by a drop to a level that is low for you if your sugar has been running high. If you are not hungry, you may not be eating enough to keep your sugar in a comfortable level.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 18:51

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Funny you should ask...

Anxiety attacks were what lead me to being diagnosed with diabetes. I went to the doctor because I was having problems with palpitations and a racing heartbeat and when he checked my blood sugar, it was over 250!
Since that time, I have noticed that the palpitations show up again when I'm low on potassium, calcium or magnesium. These are important supplements for many to take when low carbing. Because of its diuretic effect, especially during the very low carb phases, you tend to lose a lot of electrolytes through urination.
If you're taking other medications, specifically diuretics or blood pressure medications, make sure you check with your doctor before adding potassium as a supplement.
Low blood sugar (or lower than what you are used to) can also give you a feeling of discomfort or anxiety as Nopie pointed out. It's good advice to check your blood sugar the next time you get that feeling to see where it is and rule out possible hypoglycemia.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 21:10

Thanks for the feedback............

I actually was in for IV fluids last week.... I was dehydrated & the Doc. thought that I was outputting more fluids then intake....

The human body is to interesting... Maybe my body is just trying to reset itself... I have really been trying to push the liquids the past week........

I did have a Doctor's appointment today and she seemed to be very content w/ my first weeks BS's so I will pray for the best...

Thank You for the responses.....
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 11:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Re: Type II Diabetic w/ Questions! Help...

Quote:
Originally posted by WIWonder
if I add a mid morning snack of a piece of fruit & a mid afternoon snack of 2 oz. of peanuts that my BS levels are even better........... Does this make sense? or am I dreaming?

2. Have any of you noticed that your appetite has gone away while taking Glucophage? I can't believe how mine has diminished.... Again am I crazy? or parinoid?

Yes, it makes sense that leveling out your insulin response by snacking (low-carb) would lower your blood sugar levels. It keeps your islets producing and working throughout, instead of rushing to take care of a meal and then resting till the next one.

Your appetite may be lessened due to low-carbing rather than the Glucophage. It depends on how long you've been low-carbing. Mine did not decrease with Glucophage, but dramatically decreased from low-carbing.

You're not crazy. You're not paranoid. Yes, it is stressful to have a debilitating disease. By low-carbing, you're doing the best you can to control your blood sugars. Good for you!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 01:01

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Be careful with the fruit, though. It may be causing you to spike, then crash.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 07:43

Thats interesting that you mention watching the fruit intake.... Because I had kept a list for my Doc. of what I ate vs. what my BS levels were & she told me to watch eating greem olives because they were so high in fat but to eat as many fruit & veggies as I want...

An orange is like 20 grams of carbs...(I think??!) How could I eat as much fruit as I want? HMMMMMMMMMMM..... Also, she told me to eat baked beans because they are low in fat... and I made the stement to her the beans were so high in carbs I don't know if I should do that or not at that point we sort of skirted over the eating bean conversation

I don't know but I have been on Glucophage a week and a day now & have been battling the flu (or spells) so when I start walking I am sure my BS levels will go down even further.....

The human body.......... how we take it for granted until things aren't working the way they should ......

I think I am going to head out today & buy Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic solution book ... I am curious about it!

Thanks for the helpful answers.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 00:34

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

By ALL means get Dr B's book. No, you CAN'T have as much fruit as you want. Dr B recommends not eating any. I have found that I can very occasionally eat berries or melons, but I have them for just a treat and only when I'm having a *very* good day. Oddly enough I've found that I handle them best when they are in season, and can't handle them when they're not--go figure. Are you on Glucophage XR or just the 'regular' kind? If you are having a problem with it causing intestinal distress ask your doc to put you on XR (extended release).
BTW I eat a lot of kale to get my vitamin C naturally, plus I take supplements.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 20:28
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%

If you have diabetes, you must read the book, "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars" by Richard K. Bernstein, MD

My daughter was diagnosed Type II (blood sugars over 600!!) and now has it totally under control (80-120) since reading this book. She eats LOW carb and adequate protein and does minimal exercise. She does not take any medications or insulin. She controls it totally by diet and minimal exercise.

As you do research on this way of eating and on diabetes (separately or together), you will find that the average dietician is stuck in the stoneage of nutrition. Don't listen to them. They can kill you.

Dr. Bernstein was a Type I on insulin and his is also in control. This book is definitely worth reading. If you don't want to spend the money, get it from your local library.

Good Luck!!

Paris
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 21:16

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by kjturner
I have found that I can very occasionally eat berries or melons, but I have them for just a treat and only when I'm having a *very* good day. Oddly enough I've found that I handle them best when they are in season, and can't handle them when they're not--go figure.

You know...I don't find that odd at all. Historically, our bodies only GOT fruits like that when they were in season and fruit was not available year-round like it is now. It may also have something to do with the time of year and being more active during the months when fruit would typically be available.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 19:17

Paris;

How awesome for you daughter to have gotten her blood sugars under control.... That is just amazing....

I have noticed just is 3 weeks that mine are really staying down pretty good. It amazing I was such a huge carb/sweet eater and I don't know if I have jsut had the fear of god in me or what but I really don't crave them like I used to .... No, I take that back everyone was eating peanut m&m's by the handful at work the otherday & not that I was craving them just that I kept hearing them clink everytime someone else took a pile of them ... I broke down and had 1 ..........tooooooooooo funny! It tasted ok but not so good that I thought that I should have more....

Good luck to all of you!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 16:46
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hi...WIWonder...Have you read Dr. Bernsteins' book yet? If not, you really should get it. That's what my daughter did and how she found out about low-carb eating.

"Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars" by Richard K. Bernstein, MD

Your library will have it if you don't want to spend the $$s on a copy.

Paris
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 20:49

I actually went out to local bookstore last weekend and they didn't have to book. So, I ordered it as I am very anxious to see what it is all about.

Just trying to keep my carbs under 100 a day has brought my sugars down about 20 points from a month ago ... I really need to get walking again and I am sure that wold help also.

I did find several books on Diabetes last weekend... I bought a cookbook that after I got it home is sort of not to low carb at all... I should have scanned it a bit better in the store...

But, a book that I have been readin is called "Type 2 Diabetes The First Year" by Gretchen Becker... so far it has been very interesting....