Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 20:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Zone
Stats: 230/230/165
BF:50%
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb 21 yrs old and 315 lbs please help

Hi. I am Amanda. I am 21 years old and weigh 315 lbs and I am really thinking about doing this. Please help. Is there any others around my age and weight who have lost some weight. Please email me at ********** I would like to know a little like what you eat with meals and snacks.

Last edited by Rosebud : Sat, Aug-02-03 at 19:11. Reason: Removal of email address. Please reread the forum rules.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 20:10
Registered Member

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 320/282/165
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default This is Do-able

I am twice your age, but when I started, I was about the same weight. Your age is beneficial to you, in that when you are older it is harder to lose the weight... yes... mom was right about that! There are so many different low carb ways of eating to try, and I am sure that you can find one that suits you. Some things that you can do right now, is to drink more water, eat less products with flour and sugar in, and stay away as much as you can from things with Nutrasweet in. Atkins has a web site, and there are also many links on this site where you can compare different low carb plans. I wish you luck in your journey, no matter which road (low carb diet) you may choose.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 11:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/258/160
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hey Amanda! I'm Katrina... I'm pretty new to the Atkins Diet, starting my 4th week today! I started out at 275 lbs.... and now I've lost 17 lbs bringing me down to 258! Yay!! I am excited about this... I have never been on a diet before, and have always been real bad about working out. I've been big all my life, and I've always hated it and complained bout it, but never did anything about it. My turning point was around the first of the year... I had a miscarriage the day after christmas and went to my Doctor. They weighed me and said "273".... I was like OMG you are kidding me! I couldn't believe it had gotten that high, it shocked and scared me big time. So I did some research and found the Atkins diet seemed to be the best one for me... went out and bought some excercise videos.... and now I'm on my way to newer, healthier me. I am tall (5'11") and i have thick bones so i know there is no way I am going to be tiny tiny... but for once I'd like to be "smaller".... know what I mean? I'm 20, a year younger than you.... and you aren't much bigger than me.... if I can do this you can too. I'm also new to this board looking for some LC Buddies so if you are interested let me know....I'll support you.... you support me.... we can do this together.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 03:08

Plan: my own
Stats: 240/219/150
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hey, I just registered, so I'm very new to all of this, but I just wanted to offer my support. I'm 19 and in college, and staying on a diet is so hard when there is so much good food (especially when you love to cook, like me). But if you care enough to come here, then I'm sure you have it in you to succeed. I think we all do, and it will be easier in this community atmosphere to do so. Good luck to us all.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 22:56

Plan: CAD
Stats: 249.5/217/184
BF:45.2/36.8/25
Progress: 50%

Hi everyone...I'm Ivory. I've been on Carb Addicts on and off for a year (almost exactly to the day). I started at 249.5lbs. At that weight I remember saying to myself "well I might as well just let myself go, and not worry about it anymore" but then I realized what that meant and it scared me that I was thinking that way, so I lost about 50lbs but then got lazy and put half of it back on. So now here I am, still quite heavy with the guilt of knowing that I could be sooo much closer to my goal than I am, and all because I wanted to eat whatever I felt like...it certainly doesn't seem worth it now.

Anyway I would love to have some support, and to help support everyone else!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 15:19

Plan: Atkins' Low Carb~Induction
Stats: 212.5/204/155 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 15%
Wink

[color=blue]Amanda, I am 18 and weigh 212.5 at my highest. I have lost 6 lbs. but I just started. I would love to help you along, you know, keep your head up.....would you help me also?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 08:45

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I weighed in at 315 on Dec. 20, 2002. I was 20 at the time. Remembering what happened when I went from 6 sodas to 0 sodas a day in 1997...I started by cutting my soda consumption on Dec. 15, 2002 to 1-2 sodas a day. I also cut my other carb. consumption to bring my overall carbs below 200g (they used to be 400-500g). On Dec. 20, I cut my carbs again and a few days later I was below 20g a day. I drank my last non-diet soda on Dec. 20, 2002...which is why I consider that my starting date. I ate my last bread on Dec. 22 and my last potatoes not long thereafter.

At first, I drank water...then I discovered Diet Rite. Depending on your area, this can be cheap or expensive. If you can get the 2 Liters, it is maybe 10 cents cheaper than Coke or Pepsi. But, the 12 packs are twice the price of Coke or Pepsi. Go figure.

I am currently down 58 pounds and 5.5" x 6.0" x 7.0"
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 21:47

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hello.. whats up? I was on Atkins before and I started working at PF Changs and gave up.. (I shouldnt have, cause I gained back the weight I lost and then a bit more..) I started back up a week ago and am down about 3 lbs.. Im doing it slowly, and Im pretty happy with it.. as long as Im losing weight, Im good.. Ive finally learned this..!

Anyways, we're all in this together.. we're all here to give advice and ask questions, so if anyone needs me, feel free to IM me..

AIM: Sterlina
Yahoo!: andromeda3552
MSN messenger: Sterlina~aol.com

See ya guys...
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:04

BF:50

Hi everyone. I am using my mothers name here I am Mandyjo412. Thanks everyone for writing me. I have been busy and really sorry I haven't written back. Hey TXKat/ Lux/ Sarabeth/ Sterlina and cc48510. I still haven't started. I know I know you ask me why, but I have been in the process of moving and trying to get electric on and stuff like that also. I have still been trying to get all the products that you can make certain foods with here. I would really like it if you could email me and hopefully you can snail mail me also. ********** I would like it alot.

Last edited by Rosebud : Sat, Aug-02-03 at 19:13. Reason: Removal of email address. Please respect our forum rules.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 16:33

BF:50

Oh My Gosh. I am so sorry. I just realized something. I was wondering why no one emailed me. I just noticed why. I gave the wrong email. it is ***********. Sorry.

Last edited by Rosebud : Sat, Aug-02-03 at 19:14. Reason: Removal of email address
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 08:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/190
BF:
Progress: 61%
Wink some motivation

Here's a bit of my story:

Fell in love with a girl I knew from high school. Watched her go through 3 different boyfriends, I was always the one there for her. She knew I had a thing for her. Eventually, she came right out and told me that she could never be with me because I wasn't "physically attractive". After a week-long binge, during which I found the Atkins book, I started the diet.

First Monday of May 2000
21 years old, just finished 2nd year university
weight: 325lbs
clothes: size 58 jeans, XXXL t-shirt - both only in BLACK special ordered from jc penny
virgin, never had a girlfriend, never even kissed a girl
had a permanent rash on my thighs from my legs rubbing together.

First two weeks were difficult. But by the end of the month, I found I wasn't hungry at all, eating a lot less, losing weight like crazy, feeling more energetic. I kept telling myself, "If you keep at it, maybe one day you'll weigh 250, and maybe then you'll be able to have SEX!"

I didn't do a lot of exercise - mostly, I took walks. I hated walking at first, but once you start losing weight, it stops being an effort to go outside, and it becomes very enjoyable, relaxing, and you feel so free. I was alive!

I stopped craving carbohydrates completely! It was like chocolate and ice cream didn't even exist!

To make a long story short:

First Monday of May 2001
22 years old, just finished 3rd year university
weight: 198 lbs
clothes: size 36 jeans, large t-shirt, bought from the mall
getting laid by one of the most beautiful women I'd ever seen
no rash

Best revenge:

On a trip home during the summer, I went to a party and saw the former love who didn't find me "physically attractive". A few days later a friend told me that SHE now had a thing for ME. The following Friday I told her to her face that I was dating her (much more physically attractive) ex-best friend. THAT is satisfaction.

The downside:

Current weight: 243
Reason: got lazy and just rested on my accomplishment for 2 years.

My girlfriend loves to cook, and I love to eat. She weighs 98 pounds. I am finding out the hard way that I can't eat like her.

Upside: I've done it before, and I'll do it again. This time I'm going to hit 190, and I'm never going to be over 200 again. I can tell you from experience - you absolutely CAN lose the weight, and (if you're diligent) you CAN keep it off, and it is ABSOLUTELY worth it.

Don't give up your life over an ice cream cone or a cookie. It's not worth it. Now, I need you guys to help me get back to where I should be!

I want to hit 200 by the end of summer!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 20:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/188/185 Male 6 feet
BF:28%/12%/5%
Progress: 93%

You can all do it! If anyone needs exercise tips or a LC buddy let me know. I've trained many people in my time and I can help you all.

Amanda: I would reccomend the atkins diet! If you go to half priced bookstore you can find it for under 5 bucks! It will change your life trust me.

euthanasia: haha! That is poetic justice (when the girl you like liked you and you didnt like her back) Remember to build lean muscle mass! the more muscle mass you have the more calories it burns and the harder it is to gain weight!

Battousai

p.s. Is it me or is sterlina a sexy sexy woman
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 02:54
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 110/102/98 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 67%

-----------------------------------------------------------------
clothes: size 36 jeans, large t-shirt, bought from the mall
getting laid by one of the most beautiful women I'd ever seen
no rash
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Your beautiful girlfriend probably was attracted to you not just cuz you lost weight...but because you gained confidence!!~ And THAT is SEXY!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 10:05

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 248/185/149 Female 5'7
BF:29.8
Progress: 64%

Hey, Amanda. I hope you do this. Take it from a 45 year old mother of three. I wish I would have done something sooner. Yes, it is hard at first getting use to a limited diet, but hang in there, the results are worth it.
In 1995, I was 295, through the years, I got it down to 256, then to 243 when I started Atkins. It seemed an insurmountable goal, to lose 100 pounds..but here I am so close to my goal I can "taste it". YOU CAN DO IT. Stick around the site, it is easier if you have friends to help.
Guess you are wondering what an old lady is doing in here..lol...My cousin has cut her sons carbs down and he's losing weight, looking into the site for them. I am pleased to have inspired others to lose weight on Atkins! Heck, it's almost as rewarding as my own weight loss.
Janelle
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 01:18
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 338/338/120 Female 5'3"
BF:10%
Progress:

That is really cool, I am so glad to hear about all of you and your weight loss.

I am using my mothers name on here because I don't have the right kind of email address they want. But I am 340lbs I started on the 8th of august and I am down 9 lbs (from 349) I am only 1 myself and feel horrible about my weight. I sweat like never before, even with simple tasks, like picking up clothes off the floor or something. I don't like being this way and would love some support. I can't PM anyone because it will not let me, but maybe someone could me and we could talk about diet plans and ways of eating, I would really love to lose the weight and maybe hook up with someone that I have been chatting with and see our results, that would be so cool. THis is such a wonderful web site, hope to hear from some of you soon, God Bless bye ya'll