Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 23:05

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Exclamation URGENT! Correction

Quote:
Originally posted by ZoneCoach
Since the NOW brand (Omega-3 1000mg-Cholesterol Free) is the least expensive (about $9.00) and the most easily obtained (for me), I focused my attention on that brand. It’s actually manufactured in Canada by a company that private labels for many companies world wide. I’m going to stick with this product unless I find compelling evidence to not to. (http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3374)

I posted the wrong link.
It is not the product I fully researched nor recommend.

This is the one:
http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3471

My sincere apologies for the error!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 19:38
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power - slightly modified
Stats: 185/156.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:gettin' better!
Progress: 71%
Angry the Fish Oil Yucks ...

So, here's the thing ...

I've tried the full stomach, half-emptystomach, frozen capsules and so forth - all with gaseous and icky results. We're already spending megabucks on other supplements and our local Costco has their Kirkland brand fish oil at a very reasonable price, so ....

Just for fun, I decided to try this:

Just about first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach (I may have had some water or black coffee). I take (as in swallow with more water) TWO frozen capsules THEN quickly mix 1/2 serving of whatever protein powder is available (Keto Shake, Protein Diet, Designer Protein or Trader Joe's Soy Protein Isolate) with about 4 ounces of flavored carbonated water (we use Walmart or Safeway - Black Cherry is good with the Chocolate protein powder and the citrus are good with the Vanillas). Drink the "shake" and get on with it. I've had no problems whatsoever! DH and I are amazed - of course, I've got a bit of an "iron gut", but not so the guy in the house (he gets heartburn just looking at the fried onion ads on TV ... :-)

As an afterthought: This morning I tried one capsule frozen, one thawed, still no problem. Tomorrow - I'll try both thawed (one step at a time, eh?)

Good Luck y'all,

Holly
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 09:00
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%
Default Hi all

I'm with mizholly on the off brand. I have been taking BJ's brand of fish oil for about 2 years, 2 in the morning 2 at bedtime and have never had a problem. I don't know if it is the best brand but it works and is cheap.The ingrediants are as follows and you can let me know how they rate.

The front of the bottle says Fish Oil Concentrate 1000 mg with Omega fatty acids

2 softgelc contain:
calories - 20
calories from fat - 20
total fat - 2g
Fish oil concentrate - 2g
Eicosapentaenoic Acid - 360 mg
Docosanahaxaenoic Acid - 240 mg
other ingrediants: gelatin, glycerin, water, d- Alpha Tocopherol

You get 300 for about $5.00
I get no fish burps, but I drink a full glass of water with it followed by a keto shake.
Please let me know how these size up, but I can't eat fish so this is my only way to get the Omega, it also keeps all the plumbing working well for me.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 11:35
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Amber:

I'm cringeing just reading your post.

Please, please, please, make sure you test the oil in those capsules. Consuming rancid Omega 3s is very unhealthy. In fact, you are better off taking nothing at all than to take rancid oil.

All you have to do is prick the capsule with a needle and touch the tip of your tongue to the bead of oil. You'll know immediately if it's rancid because you'll have to go rinse out your mouth. There shouldn't be a really fishy taste to the oil.

My mom bought cheap brands of fish oil capsules and when I started making her do this, most of the bottles were coming up rancid. And she was getting them from health food stores!

Promise me you'll check your capsules?

Wanda, the mother hen.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 02:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/140/140 Female 5'3 1/2"
BF:
Default What a find...nothing yucky about this...

~
I've been taking the omega-3 fish oil supplements (brand name Coromega) for about a month now. It's indiv packaged (one packet daily) and is a delicious creamy-orange "pudding-like" formula that delivers 650 mg total Omega-3; 350 mg EPA and 230 mg DHA, similar to the Omega-3 essential fatty acids found in a 2 oz serving of salmon.

It has no sugar or artificial sweeteners; no dairy; yeast; starch, wheat or gluten. It's available, or will soon be, at health food stores, drug stores, and some food stores. Your pharmacist can probably order it for you. Or go to the web site and request a free sample...you can purchase there too. I'm sold...when I take mine everyday, it's like having dessert.

Last edited by heyjude607 : Sun, Feb-09-03 at 02:08.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 09:32
Golden Greek Girl

Hi wcollier, Well I did check the gel caps last night like you told me to. I pierced it and it actually tasted kinda sweet, to my surprise. I love orange sherbert and was thinking of giving the omega 3 coromega a try, but am hesitant because the fish oil I take, works fine. I would hate to ruin a good thing.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 16:09
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Amber:

At first I thought, glad to hear they were OK. But a sweet taste? Hmmm, I just looked at the ingredients. There is glycerin in the ingredients. They must be putting glycerin in the oil. Why would they put glycerin in the oil other than to mask the taste?

Maybe I'm just paranoid from a lifetime of learned scepticism, but that makes me a little nervous if the brand is cheap PLUS has a masked flavor to the oil. The problem with masking the taste of oils is that it eliminates quality control.

As you can see, I don't trust manufacturers unless they've earned a good reputation, especially when it comes to fish oil.

Wanda
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 00:33

Default Rancid Fish Oil

Quote:
Originally posted by wcollier
I'm cringeing just reading your post.
Please, please, please, make sure you test the oil in those capsules. Consuming rancid Omega 3s is very unhealthy. In fact, you are better off taking nothing at all than to take rancid oil.

It is certainly wise to be cautious. Fish oil is highly suseptible to free radical damage (oxidation) ~ and exposure to air will cause that. Additionally, many manufacturers add a small amount of vitamin E (d-alpha...)as an additonal stabilizer. Capsuled fish oil is not likely to become rancid. The big red warning flags have been in the cases of bottled LIQUID fish oil. Yes! Can you believe some people take it by the tablespoon full! Yuck! It is also recommended to supplement with vitamin E because for anti-oxidant protection as fish oil is said to reduce AO in our bodies.
Quote:
My mom bought cheap brands of fish oil capsules and when I started making her do this, most of the bottles were coming up rancid. And she was getting them from health food stores!

Very likely it was rancid before it was packaged or it was handled VERY POORLY in transit.
We need to be just as concerned, about the purity of the product. It must be free of PCB's and Mercury. There are very few companies out there investing in the expensive quality control processes to eliminate them. The company you are purchasing from should gladly provide you with a signed, dated certificate of analysis.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 00:36

Default Re: the Fish Oil Yucks ...

Quote:
Originally posted by mizholly
I take (as in swallow with more water) TWO frozen capsules
I tried one capsule frozen, one thawed, still no problem. Tomorrow - I'll try both thawed (one step at a time, eh?)

Just an FYI ~ the liquid inside the capsule should NEVER become frozen. It should remain liquid. If it freezes, then it is FOR SURE a low quality product.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 00:47

Default Re: Hi all

Quote:
Originally posted by AmberAA1
[B]I'm with mizholly on the off brand. I have been taking BJ's brand of fish oil for about 2 years, 2 in the morning 2 at bedtime and have never had a problem. I don't know if it is the best brand but it works and is cheap.

Can you clarify what you mean by "it works"?

Quote:
The ingrediants are as follows and you can let me know how they rate.

My research focused mainly on quality assurance, manufacturing processes and best practices, along with the absences of PCB's and Mercury.

Quote:
The front of the bottle says Fish Oil Concentrate 1000 mg with Omega fatty acids

2 softgelc contain:
calories - 20
calories from fat - 20
total fat - 2g
Fish oil concentrate - 2g
Eicosapentaenoic Acid - 360 mg
Docosanahaxaenoic Acid - 240 mg
other ingrediants: gelatin, glycerin, water, d- Alpha Tocopherol

A very 'common' label. One good sign is the fact that they're using natural vitamin E, but I'm wondering why they don't say how much or where it derived from.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 00:49

Default Re: What a find...nothing yucky about this...

Quote:
Originally posted by heyjude607
I've been taking the omega-3 fish oil supplements (brand name Coromega) for about a month now. It's indiv packaged (one packet daily) and is a delicious creamy-orange "pudding-like" formula that delivers 650 mg total Omega-3; 350 mg EPA and 230 mg DHA, similar to the Omega-3 essential fatty acids found in a 2 oz serving of salmon.

Coromega is considered to be a reputable brand!
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 08:06
Golden Greek Girl

Hello Zone Coach, There were several reasons why I started taking fish oil and it has helped in the areas I needed it to.1) It was that I had plumbing problems, especially when I first started Atkins and it helped me in that area. 2) The main reason I started to take it a few years ago is that I cannot eat fish. I have too much mercury or something in my system already and when I eat it I get sick to my stomach. Well I still wanted the benefits of fish and this is the only way I could think to get it. So should I stick with the brand that I have or move on?
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 21:55

Default Safe Fish oil

Quote:
Originally posted by AmberAA1
Hello Zone Coach, There were several reasons why I started taking fish oil and it has helped in the areas I needed it to.1) It was that I had plumbing problems, especially when I first started Atkins and it helped me in that area.

Fish oil ~ regardless of quality ~ will have that effect.

Quote:
I have too much mercury or something in my system already and when I eat it I get sick to my stomach.
Chances are unlikely re: the mercury (check the web on Mercury poisoning). Remember the "Mad Hatter" in Alice in Wonderland? Remember why he was "Mad"?
Quote:
Well I still wanted the benefits of fish and this is the only way I could think to get it. So should I stick with the brand that I have or move on?

It would take some investigation into the brand you're taking. It is probably private labeled by another company. Start with your retailer and work your way backwards from there. You're looking for something that is molecularly distilled. But don't tell them that, otherwise, they might just say "yah, it is" without really being..... Once you get to the source, ask them to send you a certificate of analysis. At that point.......maybe.... I can help you decipher
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 22:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 130/128/115
BF:30%
Progress: 13%

Take them right before you go to bed, NOT during the day. That's the only way to guarantee no fish burps.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 11:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/183/135
BF:
Progress: 20%

Once you run out of the brand of fish oil you are taking now, get the fisol brand. AHHHHH, a true life change for me. Bye bye burps! They really are wonderful!