Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 180/134.5/120 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Shore Restaurants for Low Carb meals

Pam in Manasquan (and all who visit the shore)

There are a couple of restaurants my husband and I frequent that are willing to make meals Atkins-friendly where possible (and will advise when it isn't possible). The two are Harpoon Willie's in Wall Township, and Tesauro's in Point Pleasant Beach. We eat out a lot due to busy work schedules and long commutes, so finding restaurants that will work with you is a blessing!

--Liz
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 20:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 191/165/140 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Everyone I am also from NJ, in Bergen County. I notice that everyone mentions health food stores. Can you give me an idea of what products are good ? I am on my third week and have lost about 10 lbs. The older I am getting the harder the weight loss becomes!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 07:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/152/133
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 27%

Hi all.. Im Jersey too! North NJ Bergen County.. What is up homies? I have totally surrendered to the LCL.. It is the only one that truly makes sense to me.. My weight loss has been slow this time.. freak'en stalls, yet I know it will break soon. I have been stuck here before. Peace & Love and Stuff to all..
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 08:52

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 210/183/125 Female 63 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 32%
Smile

Hi, Fellow Jerseyans! I just joined the site today. I'm glad to read the posts of other low-carbers in NJ. I started Atkins on June 1, didn't tell anybody, but as people in the office noticed that I was losing weight, the word spread. We now have at least four, each determined to change her life through Atkins.

Anybody have any major stumbling blocks or successes? I can tell you that ice cream is mine. I bought Weight Watchers Smart Ones neopolitan. I believe I have had two servings. The first one was of all three flavors: vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. The second was of only the chocolate and the vanilla. The strawberry sucks. I believe that I purchased it a month ago; it's still in the fridge!

In my high-carb life, I used to make homemade ice cream. I am itching to try some of the Keto ice cream mixes or use some of the recipes for low-carb ice cream. Has anyone tried any of these? Do you have a tried-and-true low-carb ice cream recipe?
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 09:05
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I just moved to North Jersey recently (bergen county) from the bronx and go to the Ballys in saddlebrook (much much bigger than the one on Rt 4)

I work in the city still, would love to find other locals around here or maybe someone that goes to the same gym and can be workout buddies.

I am still getting used to the area, but its nice so far. I miss the noise of the city sometimes, but I appreciate the peace.

-MJ-
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 11:13

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hi --

We're somewhat new to North Jersey as well -- we moved to Passaic county about eight years ago. The only time we get to Saddlebrook is when we're doing errands up Rte 17 -- in fact that corridor is all I've ever seen of the town! My wife and I work out at the YMHA in Wayne. Welcome to the area --
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 11:48
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Hey all you north Jerseyans...

Just reading all your posts makes me a little homesick. I graduated from Somerville High School and lived in Newton/Lafayette (northwest NJ) for many, many years. I moved away to go back to school but now that I have my Ph.D. I'm interviewing all over the country -- including some NJ schools!!

Hi RA...West Milford brought back some memories. We used to go to a real kick-ass bar up in West Milford -- a biker bar set way back in the woods -- I can't remember the name of the place. That was a lifetime ago though. I've cleaned up my act since then. (Don't I WISH!!)

Jeannie
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 20:03

BF:

[I'm in North east NJ in Westwood (Bergen County). The best part- there's a store about to open in town called; "Lean On Me" low carb store!!!!]

Thanks for the tip -- I just looked up the webpage:
http://www.leanonmelowcarbcenter.com/

and it doesn't have much info. It's only one page, mentioning the usual products and "Mention our website and we will give you a 10% discount on your order" (until the end of this year).

I'm right next door in Passaic County, but Westwood is probably still an hour away. I can get to the LC store in Montclair just as quickly, but it doesn't have much that I'm interested in. What are your impressions of Lean on Me? Is it worth the trip?
-- cheers -- Robert
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 08:57

BF:

[Just reading all your posts makes me a little homesick. I graduated from Somerville High School and lived in Newton/Lafayette (northwest NJ)]

I go to Lafayette every Tuesday evening! An old Catholic high school there has been turned into a Buddhist monastery, and I go there for meditation and teaching once a week. A very well-known and influential monk recently moved from Sri Lanka to take up residence there, and I feel very lucky to be able to receive teachings from him. I also go kayaking nearby, in Aeroflex park.

Lafayette strikes me as a very nice town; it reminds me of upstate NY, where I lived for many years. People not familiar with NJ could visit and not realize they are even in NJ any longer! Cheers, Robert
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 10:04
Jerzee

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool I love the Jersey Shore

Hi folks! I can't believe all the folks from NJ on this board and even better all the folks that live down the shore. I live in Lavalette on the oceanside and I love it here. The only drag about living here is finding parking in the summertime. If you don't have a driveway(which I do)you will find it hard to park near the beach.

This weekend is supposed to be really nice. Anyone headed to the boardwalk at Seaside this weekend like me?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 17:04

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 450/348/225 Male 72 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 45%

Lean n Me....welllll, They have lots of LC "botique food"lot's of different types of chips, pasta,candy (lc frankenfood versions), a selection of breads, some pre-made refrigerated stuff

Travel an hour....Probably not
In the vicinity..why not
(i can get lc stuff 5 blocks over at a Trader Joe's too ,which I'm at WAY MORE often)
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 21:35
Registered Member

Stats: 205/191/150 Female 5'2 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Waaaaaaay Cooool!

Hello! This is great to find fellow Jerseyans! I've been chuckling reading through these posts and familiar with/or lived in or near a few of them. I've lived in South Orange, Elizabeth, Budd Lake, Lake Hiawatha and now in Lake Hopatcong, which is not far from Lafayette which was mentioned where the Buddist teacher is! What a small world! My sis and my mom live down the shore, and we had a house when I was a kid in Ortley Beach and used to go to Seaside boardwalk. This is too funny I've also taken my sick kitty to the Bricktown Vet's Hospital (Exit 91 going S) for those of you who know Brick, hehe.

I'm lucky enough to have a little health food store about 2 minutes from my house on Rt. 15 S, it's a family owned business, and they've been supporting Atkins and following all reasearch on his diet for over 30 years. They are the ones that got me motivated to jumpstart my life and get in control of my diabetes and hypertension (and some other probs). Twelve days into Induction, and my blood sugars are looking awesome--they were too high before even with oral meds!!! I'm so thrilled, my doc will be blown away

Anybody get any good blue crabs this year? (mmmmm)

If you're ever up near Lake Hopatcong, there's a place called Pub 199 which has great prices on dinners especially for seafood (my fav):
$9.99 2 doz clams

$16.99 1.25 lb. lobster and 2 doz clams!!!
~$17 or so-can't remember for Alaskin King Crab Legs
they have steaks and some other items I can't remember

The atmosphere is not fancy, but the food is good, fast and cheap.

Went there the other night to celebrate losing 5.5 lbs. in a week and a half of induction-the lobster and clams were fab!

Anyway, this got long, lol--great to "meetcha"!

Wishing everyone continued success!!!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 05:46

Stats: 233/226/170 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 11%

Pete from newark new jersey here! i went to A&P supermarket this week and noticed that they are putting tags on all of thier items in the store that are low carb & they announce it over the loud speaker. they iven put a small aisle with atkins products and some other low carb products.
anyway, i started Atkins on 6/11 ~ 220 lbs and i'm currently ~ 184 lbs. 36 down and 20 to go!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 08:21

BF:

[ i went to A&P supermarket this week and noticed that they are putting tags]

I saw an A&P circular that suggested the store was getting on the low carb bandwagon, so I went to the one in Pompton Lakes and was very disappointed. I saw some of the tags you are talking about, but their definition of "low carb" bothered me. Everything that I checked had at least 20 carbs per serving! Frankly I was very frustrated; I went from thinking that I might start shopping regularly at A&P to being angry at what I perceived to be false advertising.

After seeing your note I'll maybe check the A&P on Rte. 23 in Wayne to see if it is any better, but I am not optimistic --

Robert, Passaic County
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 08:45

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
but their definition of "low carb" bothered me. Everything that I checked had at least 20 carbs per serving!
Robert, down here in Monmouth County, the A&P is doing the same thing. Getting in some LC products, carrying the Arnold Carb Counting bread and Thomas' Carb Counting bagels. It just makes my life somewhat easier, but you are right "their definition" of low-carb doesn't take into account if sugar or white flour are included. Also low-carb to the mainstream is not "our version" of low-carb. I still rely on on-line shopping and a local LC specialty store for non-mainstream LC stuff. But at least, the A&P is getting "with it"! Good luck on your LC journey!!!

EDIT: I don't think the A&P is guilty of false advertising, it's what they perceive to be low-carb (20 carbs per serving) versus our perceptions.

Last edited by paradise : Sun, Nov-16-03 at 08:49.