Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 14:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/198/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Mock Cinnabons

I got this recipe from another site from someone named Chris. I have made some adaptations but it is a wonderful recipe and tastes very good - better than the cinnamon buns from Pillsbury but not really as good as a Cinnabon in the mall - but those are all forbidden! One note, this does take some time, not a lot of work, but some time and everything good is worth waiting for, right?
Ingredients
1 Package Ketogenics Low Carb Bread Mix
Cinnamon (I didn't measure but it uses a lot)
Splenda (1/4-1/2 cup)
Butter (about 1 bar)
1 8oz Package Cream Cheese
Splash of DaVinci Vanilla Syrup)

Make the dough according to the package instructions. It is intended for bread makers. I don't have one so I followed the instructions to make it by hand and kneaded it as per the instructions (think of the calories you are using up).

When the dough has risen, divide it in two. Roll 1/2 of the dough into a long rectangle. (I cheated and used a bit of flour - but just a bit is all that's needed). Melt about 1/2 the butter and spread 1/2 of it over the dough. Cover pretty heavilly with cinnamon and then with the Splenda - my taste is a dusting of Splenda (and I wanted to save the carbs). Roll lengthwise, wrap in wax paper and put in freezer for 15 minutes. Slice into 1" sections and place on buttered cookies sheet (I use the silicone inserts in the cookie tray so nothing sticks. Brush the top with butter (optional). Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned and still soft.

Icing
Combine cream cheese, butter and syrup until creamy. (If you don't have the syrup you could use 4 packets of splenda and a splash of vanilla extract.) Spread the icing on the baked rolls and ENJOY!!!!!

Tip - you don't have to bake them all at once - the dough can be kept in the freezer or fridge for that nice Sunday breakfast or when you want something sweet. I thought they were pretty filling

Note I couldn't give an extact carb count per roll because it depends on how large you make the rolls - I made mine pretty small. But the dough mix has 32 carbs total, the block of cream cheese has 6 grams, and the splenda has 12 grams in 1/2 cup or 6 grams in 1/4 cup. So total for the entire recipe is 44-50 and you get at least 12 potions from the recipe - so a max of 4 grams per roll. Make them smaller and save the carbs - same great taste!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 07:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 180/134.5/120 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Similar recipe

Hi, Catmom,

I tried a very similar recipe using the Atkins "country white" bread mix. This was also an adaptation of my grandmother's homemade sweet roll recipe, leaving out the raisins and making low carb substitutions where needed.

I put the rolls in a square pan (I think it's about 12 inches or so square) and let them rise in the pan (2nd rising for the dough) for a full 2 hours to get them as puffy as possible. Also, after baking I don't ice them - when I pack one up to take to work for breakfast I put a good amount of plain old cream cheese on top. At work I put it in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it slightly.

YUM!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 08:28
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Do you know what ingredients you could use in place of the Ketogenics Low Carb Bread Mix? This recipe looks worth a try.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 11:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 180/134.5/120 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Bread Mix substitute

Hi,

I used the Atkins bread mix with very good results. If you're looking for a substitute for bread mix in general, I would suggest any low-carb "white bread" dough would work here - check the members' recipe submissions, I suspect that Tamarian's "Shepherd's Loaf" or other low-carb bread recipes listed there would be fine.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 12:08
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Paradux:

I was hoping I could make something from scratch rather than out of a package.

I notice that the Ketogenics Low Carb Bread Mix has de-starched wheat flour in it. I've never heard of wheat protein isolate either. These ingredients, I see, are only available in packaged foods. That kinda sucks.

I will go check out the "white bread" doughs now that I know what to look for.

Thanks,
Wanda
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 23:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/168/160 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I am making these tonight. I will have to let you know how they turned out. They sound delishish. I have tried some other LC cinnamon roll recipes and have been disappointed. Who knew Sugar Twin was so disgusting. Thanks for sharing this. I will post my reviews in the am.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 22:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/168/160 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 80%

this has been the best recipe i have ever had thanks a million