Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 22:17

Plan: my own
Stats: 212/150/150
BF:
Progress: 100%

Island Girl, I actually just wanted to read about the bars from the manufacturer's webpage. I can probably find the bars at a health food store though.

To be honest I'm not a big believer in any kind of diet, especially a low carb one.

Sorry to get on a tangent but since I am posting here I just want to share my thoughts. Feel free to let me know what you think.

If you want to lose weight, you have to do the right things to lose weight and keep it up. You can not keep up a low carb diet, and most likely will put back weight as soon as you get off the low carb diet. Carbs are an essential part of your diet and you can't cut them out forever. Of course by cutting carbs you are cutting calories, so I don't doubt that you can lose weight by doing this. You can also lose weight on a hungerstrike too but that doesn't mean it's going to have lasting results. It's better to just eat the right amounts with a balanced diet.

I could probably write all day with all the stuff I found out during my weight loss trials but I'll leave it at that for now.

I used to weigh 212 but am now 150 and have been that way for 2 years. In fact I am having trouble keeping weight on (that's bad I guess!)
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 13:35

Plan: Atkins-Restarted
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ' 3 "
BF:
Progress: 29%

mwmurphyx -

First of all, congrats on all your weight loss!

The web address for Ross Chocolates is : www.rosschocolates.com

Another Low carber and myself paced an online order a couple of weeks ago and had our bars within 3 days (keeping in mind that was shipping from Washington State to Connecticut).

I haven't had any of the bars yet, but my low carber friend has and says they are very good. I am trying to forget I have them - still in induction and think the "hidden carbs" may cause me to stall (or get too hooked on chocolate again...). But something tells me that once TOM arrives I will remember where I put them!!

Hope that helped....
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 20:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

krazzybird, the website you gave is actually a website for a US-based RETAILER of Ross Chocolates, originally he was (and still is for ordering) www.lowcarbchocolates.com ... that is NOT the website of the maker of Ross Chocolates.

Quote:
Feel free to let me know what you think.

mwmurphyx, since you said that, I will

Firstly, why would you care about Ross Chocolates if you don't believe in any kind of diet?

Secondly, this is a website for the sharing of knowledge and support for those who have CHOSEN a low carb way of life (and I say that specifically to indicate that this is about a LOT more than "just a diet"... for those of us who have (a) metabolic issues that have as ONE of the symptoms carb sensitivities leading to (b) excessive weight gain. Clearly you don't fit in either category, nor have you done much research in this area.

I suggest that if you want to participate in our website (the knowledge and support part), you might want to spend some time in our more technical sections and keep in mind that we are here for and about Low Carb.

Most of us have ALREADY had the discussion with naysayers about our way of life... truly we're past that, and generally would prefer that if you aren't interested in low carb and the benefits and science underlying it, that you don't post here until you've gone through the same material and research many of us have...

Well, you DID say "Feel free to let me know what you think", didn't ya?!? So please don't take this personally.

On a more technical note, if you don't want to discuss LowCarb Products, this is definitely the wrong forum to be posting to. However, I'll leave your post here in the interest of "free speech" unless this turns into a flaming war of some kind...

Thanks for your input, sig: LowCarb Products Forum Moderator
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 20:50

Plan: Atkins-Restarted
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ' 3 "
BF:
Progress: 29%

Judi -

Wow, I didn't realize that Ross Chocolates actually bought them from someone else... how naive am I, wow do I feel silly...

Oh well - learn something new everyday. Thanks for letting me know my error...
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 22:29

BF:

I was interested in the chocolates because I know a diabetic who might enjoy them.

I found this forum because while looking for the manufacturer this came up because of the Ross Chocolates topic.

I honestly wasn't trying to start any type of flame war. I guess I was just trying to share my experience with dieting and trying to be helpful.

I'm not sure I understand how low carbs are a way of life (I'll read more) and not just another diet.

I lost all my weight simply by getting some exercise and eating reasonable portions of food (well there was a systematic approach). My friend did the same thing as me and lost 100 lbs of blubber and has had it off for years.

Metabolic issues? Have you tried any strength training?

Oh well, there are different ways to skin a cat and I hope this one really does work for you.
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 22:48

BF:

Just to be devil's advocate here's a different point of view. Now you don't have to read it since but I found it fascinating.

OK, now I'm done on this forum! See ya!

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/mcdougall_protein.htm
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 00:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Thanks for the incredible dose of enlightenment. It was an absolutely brilliant move to spread the word in a thread on the carb count of Ross Chocolate.

Gee, I don't think anyone here knew that about strength training! Wow! It increases your metabolism?

Buh-bye! Have an equally swell and profound time on the next forum you visit!

Karen
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 20:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/180/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default sugar free chocolate

Just so everybody pays close attention. Some of the chocolates mentioned like Laura Secords sugar free is not low carb although it is sugar free. And some other ones are a little tricky and I almost got taken in with the saying (0 carbs from sugar) but when you really look at the carb content it is like 16. So pay close attention, the de-lite ones are low carb and I have never seen the Ross ones in our area.
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 20:48

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Confused - ROSS chocolate vs Ross DELIGHT chocolate (NOT Pure Delite)

I just got back from a People's Drug Mart near me and I was thrilled to see they had Ross chocolate bars. However, only a few were labelled "ROSS" in large print - most of them were labelled "XXX DELIGHT", the "XXX" being the flavour (e.g. DARK DELIGHT"). However both types had the Ross Chocolate logo in the upper left hand corner.

The ones labelled ROSS.. had all the nutrition info on the back; whereas the DELIGHT ones only gave the grams of Maltitol. What gives? Are these DELIGHT ones the same as the ROSS, just different packaging?

I had previously found some PURE DELITE bars in a healthfood store, but they had a US address on them (they were very good, I might add).

I tried searching the forums, but didn't really get an answer to my confusion.. so hoping someone out there might know.
  #85   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 22:20

Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20

My understanding is now Ross is complying with our crazy Canadian labeling rules - and has re-done its labels regarding nutritional info. That is list everything and do not pre-deduct maltitol.

Ross used to manufacture Pure Delight, I hear, before PD found another manufacturer. Maybe they want to better differentiate from PD? Hence the slight name change?

Hope this helps -
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default Re: Confused - ROSS chocolate vs Ross DELIGHT chocolate (NOT Pure Delite)

Quote:
Originally posted by jeanyyy
...However both types had the Ross Chocolate logo in the upper left hand corner.

The ones labelled ROSS.. had all the nutrition info on the back; whereas the DELIGHT ones only gave the grams of Maltitol. What gives? Are these DELIGHT ones the same as the ROSS, just different packaging?

I had previously found some PURE DELITE bars in a healthfood store, but they had a US address on them (they were very good, I might add)...

As long as the ROSS logo is there, it's a ROSS bar. Differences in the labelling are from different runs/batches and yes, they are complying with amended Canadian labelling regulations.

I do believe they DID (and may still do) manufacture for Pure Delight in the States under contract. I still find a bar occasionally with US addressing and a very tiny "made in Canada" label.
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 12:42

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Re: Re: Confused - ROSS chocolate vs Ross DELIGHT chocolate (NOT Pure Delite)

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
Differences in the labelling are from different runs/batches and yes, they are complying with amended Canadian labelling regulations.

Well, I hope the DELIGHT label is the *old* one, cos there is basically NO nutrition info on those ones.

With the Ross bars, some were labelled (in caps) "ROSS" , some "DELIGHT" (not Pure Delight), whereas the Pure De-Lite ones with the US address but made in Canada are labelled/spelled "PURE DE-LITE ". I only mention this for clarity, by the way, so everyone is clear on what we're talking about
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 12:16

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Found A Bar!!!!!!!

This bar is by the Ross company out of Chase BC Canada.....Its belgian chocolate and comes in lots of flavors....
Its says 3.3 carbs on the front with an *
So I flip it over and it says: Total carbs 17.1.......BUT it goes on....*Carbohydrates in the Maltitol, which impact on the blood sugar/insulin levels is negligible, total 13.8g. Net impactible carbs 3.3g

My stix are still purple...I had 2 cause its easter...they are good!!!!

I got them in a store in Canada called IGA....

Their phone number for Ross Company is...1-877-955-2267

I have an adress also if anyone is interested
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 15:10
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:
....*Carbohydrates in the Maltitol, which impact on the blood sugar/insulin levels is negligible, total 13.8g.

Hi there LadyDi,
Just be aware that sugar alcohols such as maltitol can have a much greater than "negligible" effect on some people. Many folk have posted that sugar alcohols cause them to stall. They can also have a nasty laxative effect.

You'll find more information on sugar alcohols in an excellent article by Doreen T in "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 17:15

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default I remember the back door trotts...

yes I remember some hard candies that had Malitol in them......