Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 10:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Re: Ross's chocolate bars.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Carol
I called them to congratulate them on their internet sales and the owner told me that their bars are being pirated and sold online.

Wow, this is serious stuff. Unfortunately, the Ross business doesn't trust anyone in the internet, including our site I've had lengthy talks with them to help them branch out and post information (free) and answer issues about maltitol etc. to no avail.

We could post link to ligit resellers if they want to, but how would we know, if they don't tell us? Argh!

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 18:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Thumbs up RE: Russell Stovers Chocolates

I was perusing the board and would like to comment and endorse Deirdre's suggestion in regards to the Russell Stover's chocolates. They come in small individually wrapped packs. If you are following a WOL that allows you to subtract the sugar alcohols, each piece is quite low in carbs. I have tried almost all the varieties she has suggested and they are very good. I relied on them heavily when I was in the states this winter and they certainly helped take the edge off a chocolate craving. If you can't find the Ross' bars or other substitutes in your area I would certainly recommend them for taste and carb content.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 18:16
Forum Founder

Hi Bonnie, do you have their address(es), phone # or URL? Are they only in Toronoto? Send me the details and we'll list them, if you like them, they must be really good!

Wa'il
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 18:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

Russel Stover chocolates are in pretty much every department store / drug store and probably grocery store chain. They usually have a display with all kinds of boxes of chocolates (with sugar). The sugar free one's are just new here so all stores may not have them yet. I've seen them in IDA drug store and Walmart, the Zellers I checked didn't have them yet though. They're about $2.50 - $3 for a small bag. I first found them on Easter weekend thank goodness!!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 18:55

BF:
Default Re: Russell Stover Sugar- Free Chocolates

Hi Bonnie, do you have their address(es), phone # or URL? Are they only in Toronoto? Send me the details and we'll list them, if you like them, they must be really good!

Wa'il

Hi Wa'il,

Unfortunately, no I do not have any info to supply because as Deirdre has suggested I think they are just newly introduced to our Canadian markets. However if I do happen to run across a URL etc. will pass it along. Without mentioning any names would also like to mention that I know of one lurker on this board (a relative by marriage) in particular who is very partial to the Pecan variety..... LOL... so that's another endorsement besides myself and Deirdre..

Bonnie
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 19:00
Forum Founder

LOL, Bonnie, there's lots of family on this board. We just had coffee this morning with Liz (Wendy's mom) and she's becoming our BC'ers mom (Don't be jealous Wendy!)

Wa'il

P.S. What do they have listed on the label as address, I might give them a call and see what we can post as info on them.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 19:14

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

LOL, heavens no Wa'il, it will give me a break!

I can share.

She tells me she had a nice time meeting you all. She did complain about the drive home though, took her an hour and a half. You may have to think about going a bit closer to her for future outings...LOL

Goodness, it is wonderful to have all this information on chocolates, me can't wait to go and check these out. First cookies, now chocolates....heavens, sure hope I don't blow it...LOL

Wendy
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 19:30
Forum Founder

I sure enjoyed her company (Liz, thanks for the info on Asthma!).

Karen actually mentioned several times changing the location, and we can do that if we get people interested from the greater Vancouver area. So far, downtown has four or five members who like to meet occasionally, if we hear from others we can certainly drop by near their locale.

Re: Chocolate. I thankfully lost my sweet tooth, but I'd like to post info on LC products for those who want them. My theory is to use the basics and avoid temptation, but if it comes to either quiting or finding a low-carb substitute, a substitute is better than quiting!

Wa'il
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 22:29

BF:
Wink

Wa'il

I threw all my wrappers out! I guess I'll have to go buy some more tomorrow and report back!!

#25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 06:55
Forum Founder

Sure, Deirdre. You may use me as excuse to buy some more!

Wa'il
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 23:39

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Well I saw the Russel Stovers chocolates today at our Shoppers Drug Mart....ummm and all types of flavours.

I read the back of the bag and noticed the carb count as twenty something. Is this for the whole bag? Got me real nervous so I put them back! LOL

They are 2.99 a bag. Sorry Wa'il, I got so excited at finding them I didn't even look for an address on the bag

I will be going over to Walmart to see if they carry them too, more then likely a bit cheaper I wonder? I will remember to check out the bag for an address this time
  #27   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 05:53

BF:
Talking RE: Sugar Free Chocolate

Hi Wendy,

Most of the sugar free chocolate produced ( including Ross') is made with the sugar alcohol maltitol. There are many viewpoints on sugar alcohols and how they affect the body. Their altered structure prevents their absorption from the intestinal tract therefore eating them won't make your blood sugar rise or spur a release of insulin. That's why they are so popular as a sweetner in sugar free products. I'm sure Doreen probably has the data at her fingertips and may possibly want to touch base with that. Some manufacturers of chocolate, candy etc. chose not to include the carb content on their wrappers and then others do. Deirdre and I are following the PPLP and therefore we subtract the sugar alcohols from the total carbs giving us a much lower carb count per piece. Along the lines of the ECC (re: fiber) that Doreen so aptly covered yesterday. Hope this helps clear up a bit of the confusion for you and can certainly imagine your fright when you picked up a package and saw the total carb count. In the ex: of Ross' bars and I have one in my hand at present, the only nutrional content noted is the fact that the maltitol content is 13.1 gms. on the Supreme Delight but no total carbs listed.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 08:55

BF:

[
P.S. What do they have listed on the label as address, I might give them a call and see what we can post as info on them. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well I did my duty and bought some more. I found them at Shoppers Drug Mart this time. They weren't with the other Russell Stover chocolates, they were kind of by the diabetic stuff. Anyway, they don't have any contact info on them. I checked the regular chocolates and they have a website www.russellstover.com but it's not up and running. They had a US address and 1-800# but I didn't get them.

I'm sure they're pretty widely available though. They were cheaper at Walmart, I can't remember the exact price, maybe $2.69 or so.

Wendy, I do subtract the maltitol grams. I started out doing Atkins but I guess I've kind of customized it. I just have to have chocolate and I figure this is better than the regular kind!

The label on the truffles didn't make sense to me though, it listed something like 21g carbs and only about 6g maltitol, but I couldn't see anything else in the ingredients that would contribute carbs. The other flavours get practically all their carbs from the maltitol.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 11:28

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Glad to hear you folks are drumming up the details about other kinds of chocolate....although I find I miss it more and more all the time...but there are still those special occasions...and for baking it would be nice (i.e. chocolate chip cheesecake!!!!!)

It frustrates me that products are available...but seem impossible to buy...i.e Ross Chocolates. Sweet Choices Distributing in Thunder Bay sell the chocolate only to retailers now, but when I asked if they could provide a list of retailers where we could purchase the chocolate...I didn't get an answer. I figure by us buying from a retailer that we're helping a distributor too....so I don't understand the big secret!!!

My attitude....I don't have time for seek and find missions!!! More power to companies that make their product readily available.

#30   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 17:40

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Just wanted to let you know that in my town on Vancouver Island I can get the ross choc bars from Peoples drug mart, theres not a great variety but you can find them in the diabetic section. Also one of our local health food stores is carrying alot of the flavors so if you cant find them in your town talk to a health food store they may be willing to get them in for you. Hope this helps someone.