Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Why did you choose low-carb?
To lose weight 466 58.69%
To improve my general health 81 10.20%
to avoid things like diabetes 34 4.28%
to help my diabetes 24 3.02%
all of the above 189 23.80%
Voters: 794. You may not vote on this poll

#61   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 22:15
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I initially chose LC to lose weight, and it was a good plan for me because of my hypoglycemia. But now I realize that there has been a long list of health benefits as a bonus....and I'd never go back to the "Other" WOE ever again.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 04:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default LC Chose Me

I was asked this question in another thread so decided to post my answer here as well....I would have to say we chose this WOL for all of the above reasons...

Actually our story is pretty typical in the fact that we both were following high carb/low fat to the letter... I have always been very active exercising (swimming, walking etc)...but could not shed a pound... was very muscular but was disappointed in my overall appearance and attributed my added poundage to middle age...hubby was built typically like most middle age guys...tiny butt and nice looking legs but all his weight was in his belly...his family has a history of heart disease and diabetes so with most of the weight he was carrying around his middle he was a heart attack waiting to happen...one day a friend had mentioned he was reading a book called Protein Power and that the explanation of following a Low Carb diet made alot of sense to him...he passed it on to my hubby and he read it from cover to cover...hubby is one who does not make decisions on the spur of the moment and analyzes everything to death before acting ( Business Manager ) so when he came to me and expressed a desire to try LC I was amazed... first of all I was pissed off because I had high carb/low fat down to a science and for him to even suggest we eat bacon and eggs sent me ballistic.. on a whim I decided to indulge him... when I jump into something I research it diligently...if we were going to do this we were going to do it right I was flabbergasted when we both started losing weight...this was just too easy after starting the plan I searched for support online and found LC Canada and other great LC sites where things have now progressed a long way since I began this WOE... such wonderful supportive info out there now I began comparing different plans ie Atkins, PP, CAP etc. and for our lifestyle found PP worked best for us...when we started small amounts of LC fruits were not allowed on Atkins and the carb levels for induction/intervention were different etc...decided if it wasn't broke don't fix it hubby was taking lipitor for high chlor but since losing fifty pounds and in the best shape of his life he is now meds free... we are both examples of how this WOL does work and continues to work
  #63   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/141/130
BF:
Progress: 69%

Because I’m tired of starving.
Because counting calories doesn’t work, and makes me unhappy.
Because I came to the realization that I’m a carb and sugar addict.
Because I don’t have that much weight to lose, therefore I figured I’d do it even if it was unhealthy because it would only be temporary (I had no idea about the positive effects I would experience once on the “diet”).
Because that’s how all the movie stars stay so svelte.
Because several real people I know lost lots of weight on this diet, even though I happen to know they have absolutely no willpower.
Because I don’t want to eat randomly anymore.
Because I don’t want to be a slave to my cravings anymore.
Because I’m tired of not getting results from “being good” and eating low-fat.
Because I like to eat.

I had misconceptions like everyone else. What I found out is:

Low carb doesn’t mean no carb, so you’re body is still getting what it needs.
You can have a balanced diet thru no-carb. Supplements aren’t intended to “replace” foods you aren’t getting, as is often alleged by medical opponents.
You don’t have to reduce calories to lose weight.
Fat isn’t evil.
Counting calories doesn’t work.
Low carbers don’t go around just eating bacon and eggs. It’s actually a health-conscious diet!

I’m a happy convert.
Henbane
  #64   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 16:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Thumbs up Your Most Astute Observations!

Wow ! Great Post Henbane! Particularly love this part:

Low carb doesn’t mean no carb, so you’re body is still getting what it needs.
You can have a balanced diet thru no-carb. Supplements aren’t intended to “replace” foods you aren’t getting, as is often alleged by medical opponents.
You don’t have to reduce calories to lose weight.
Fat isn’t evil.
Counting calories doesn’t work.
Low carbers don’t go around just eating bacon and eggs. It’s actually a health-conscious diet!

Bonnie
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/179/150 Male 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I started Low carb WOL because of my wife. Well actually it was her cardiologist who suggested "It (Atkins) looks reasonable to me, why don't you try it for a few weeks?" when she was seeing him for a checkup following her heart attack several years ago. This was about two months ago. Betty (my wife) just about fell off the table! What!? Surely the man she trusted most in this world could not be endorsing that crazy, deadly, low carb diet stuff? Didn't he know it would kill you? Everybody knew that!!
It took two weeks for her to reluctantly agree to start Adkins and I joined with her for moral support. Sadly she completed the Induction two weeks but quit soon after that, discouraged at losing only 3 pounds and missing her bread too much. I however have happily stayed with this WOE and enjoy it. Thanks to my wife therefore, I am healthier and lighter than I've been on 2 years of weight watching. cool !

Thanks for asking. Cajun Boy Phil C
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 07:10
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default 1st a QUICK FIX ... now a 5 STAR SOLUTION!

Truthfully, I began Atkins the 1st time as a Quick Fix.

The 2nd time around, I wanted to begin dieting and I just didn't know a better way. (I didn't want to go the LOW CALORIE/LOW FAT route. Been there, done that - - - YUCK!) I went on Atkins because I knew how to do it. I thought it would be a good way to start, then I'd switch to my permanent program.

Well, I'm into week #12. Why?

#1 Its EASY
#2 I feel GREAT
#3 I am LOSING WEIGHT

Why would I switch? Now I've seen the LC light and I realize that LCing is a my "permanent" 5 STAR SOLUTION and WOE.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 17:53

Plan: CAD + reg. fast
Stats: 214/153.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:34.5/18/14
Progress: 77%

Hi!
I thought, I'd put my two cents in as well...
I stumbled upon this WOL because of a diabetic friend. She had told me that her husband, in support, adopted this WOL as well and had , unintentionally mind you!!, lost quite some weight in the process! I had 'dieted' for almost one year previous to my discovery, the 'traditional' way, very low fat/low cal, tons of exercise, and I did manage to lose a lot of weight that way, about 65 lbs, to be exact. B U T - and here it comes - I had started to lose control over my eating habits and literally HAD to give into my high carb (chocolate!!!) cravings more and more often! The result, of course, was weight gain and with it an incredible feeling of guilt, panic, fear of failure, etc.... Then came the LC...literally saved my life AND sanity!!! Once I started doing more and more research, I realized that I had been digging my own grave with the 'diet', for starters heading straight into diabetes!!
I had also started looking quite unhealthy, dry and ashen skin, brittle nails, tired, weak.....
The first 2 weeks of LC were incredible! The weight dropped off like crazy, I felt good, started looking healthier.... Then came a very difficult phase, doubt, no weight loss to fire me up, major confusion about this WOL. But I found this forum through the Atkins site, and from there on I went and am still going strong. The initial ups and downs are gone, thanks to some wonderful people right here in this forum who helped me through the 'bumps and bruises' at the beginning. I am much more educated on this WOL by now and feel very confident. I also know that I will continue to live and eat this way until the end of my days! NEVER felt or looked better in my life, never...!!! My husband is so perplexed, that I have a feeling it won't be much longer until he as well is a true believer! More and more curios questions and utter disbelief in how I have changed in only 3 short months...mentally AND physically! It is not so much the weight, which is coming off very slowly by now, but my entire body recomposed itself very nicely. I am thrilled!
Always spreading the word! I even got my Doc to join in after she hadn't seen me in over a year. She was speechless, extremely curious and asked me to help form a local support group!
I am loving every minute of this!
What an awesome WOL!!!!
(...sorry, looks like the 2 cents have turned into 2 dollars after all...)
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 09:47

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I originally started Low Carb because of my need to lose weight. At over 300 lbs. I was in dire need of a solution. I had a friend lose over a 100 lbs. by restricting her calories and fat extremely. I knew I couldn't be that disciplined! I had heard about the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet on TV, I thought...heck, I know that's me. I dismissed it because I didn't think I could really live without BREAD. But when I read a book given to me by my Aunt...the light went on. I tried it because the science behind it sounded too true. "Oh, so that's why I've been packing on the weight." So yes, I started it to lose weight, but then as I've read and learned more about this WOL I've realize all the health benefits. I'm glad that I have figured this out, before any real health problems surfaced. Victoria
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: Easy Low Carb Living
Stats: 158/118/120
BF:
Progress: 105%
Default Energy & Health

Although I started to eat LC to lose weight, I decided to adopt a LCWOL because of two very dramatic improvements in my health. The first was the amount of energy I suddenly had - with no low periods after eating.
The second was the complete disappearance of any symptoms of colitis - a bowel disease that I have suffered from since I was 18.
Learning to eat LC has been like a miracle to me. And I lost all the weight I wanted to , and a bit more - have kept it off for over 2 years and continue to feel great.
What a fantastic discovery for me
Cheers
Pat
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 13:48

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Message to Phil & Betty

Hi, Phil & Betty. I was just wondering if you have tried reading about some of the other programs. Not all of them are quite so restrictive as Atkins. I am on The Schwarzbein Principle program and it suits me very well. My weight-loss is very slow, but the health benefits echo the rest of the group. I can't say enough about them, so I won't try.

One thing to keep in mind about low-carbing is that if your body needs a lot of healing, it may not let go of the fat very fast at all. In fact, my scale is going down only 1 or 2 pounds a month. But the way I feel is making up for that totally. I can wait for the weight to come off.

TSP is more geared toward healing your body of insulan resistance and all the ills that go along with it. Betty might find it more palatable and easier to adopt as her WOL if she can accept not losing the weight very fast.

;-Deb
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 17:29
Registered Member

Plan: Mainly the Metabolic Diet
Stats: 330/219/170
BF:
Progress: 69%

I chose to diet in the first place because I knew I was gonna die. Morbidly obese, diabetic and could barely walk. I was told by my doctor that at this rate I wouldn't see 45. That was 4 years ago and I've lost 110 pounds lowcarbing, thus far. (50 to go) I'm actually thinking about doing some researching on the cyclical diets as I am training now. I do think it helps to shake up the metabolism.
Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 10:50

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Wink Getting In Late on This!

I voted for weight loss. But close behind that was preventing Type II Diabetes. When I came out of college (1978) I had just retired as a Gymnast at Penn State. I was 134lbs, 5'9" - could bench 210 lbs and we really did not lift weights that much for training. I used to see heavy people and say to myself I am never going to be like that! Never say Never? In 24 years I gained
61 lbs to 195. My stomach stuck out and somebody in a bar made fun of me and asked if I was expecting a baby! That really hurt my feelings and I walked out. My legs, lower back hurt and I have to wear orthotics to keep my feet from hurting. So losing weight was something that has been on my mind as I swelled up until Atkins! Then I started to accumulate knowledge reading the zone and finally Atkins. When I went into induction my head cleared up the friday of the first week, After the usual free pizza lunch which I skipped I did not fall asleep at the meeting. In fact I was almost too clear headed because I thought something was wrong. Truely incredible feeling! Then I knew the dangers of sugar and what I had been doing to myself. I was high in a fog on sugar all the time and did not know it! My Mother has Type II and it is my opinion that I was heading there sometime in the future. Now I am getting more & more concerned about diabetes in other people around me as I watch them with no will power eat heavy sugar containing foods. I feel like an Atkins Evangelist trying to warn people!
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 16:07

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

LCing got all the excess baggage off me and has helped tremendously with my hypoglycemia. I now feel like a "million" most of the time....... and have no candy bars in my house, purse, glove box, etc, etc.

Ellie
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 17:17

Plan: high protein and low carbs
Stats: 199/193/156
BF:
Progress: 14%
Cool forced diet change

Hi Deb. I'm not diabetic, but I am and have been hypoglycemic for 18 years (low blood sugar) To many simple carbs cause a quick rise in blood glucose levels and than a sudden drop in blood sugar, thus causing symptoms of fatigue, shakiness, headache, nausia, sweating, mental concentration loss..........etc. When I was diagnosed with with this I did all the reading and research I could, but found my best advise from a naturopathi doctor, suggesting the best diet for hypoglycemics, is low carbo. diet with protein and small to moderate amounts of "complex carbs" which are "whole unprocessed foods" like vegetable, which take the body longer to break down by the digestive process, thus releasing a slower , more sustained release of insulin and glucose. So, I've been on this diet before it even became popular. I do cheat 2-3 times a week, as I love fresh fruit when in season. I do not eat any simple-processed carbs or white sugar at all. If, I don't stick close to my diet my blood sugar gets out of balance and I feel the effects. So, I'd just rather feel good.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 09:38

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

JD, it sounds like what you are doing is very close to TSP. TSP encourages whole foods (especially organic) and allows for somewhat more carbs than other plans. Dr. S. devised her plan while working initially with diabetics.

On TSP I eat lots and lots of vegetables. Others have starchier foods like high-fibre, low-carb bread and fruit (I don't like fruit). I enjoy the occassional avocado or artichoke for my starchy vegetables. Fruit is perfectly reasonable to have on TSP -- it's not a "cheat."

Basically, TSP makes a distinction between starchy vegetables (like avocados and artichokes) and non-starchy vegetables (like broccoli and cauliflower) and carbs in other foods like dairy foods and grains. We don't "count" the carbs in non-starchy vegetables, only the carbs found in starchy vegetables and other foods. At the lowest amount (for an inactive, overweight individual), we are "allowed" 15 grams of carb per main meal and 7.5 grams of carb per snack. But when you don't count non-starchies, that can add up quite a bit, so we are also told that if we are eating a lot of non-starchies we don't "have" to have the starchy and other carbs.

My description sounds a little convoluted, but the book makes it pretty simple, including carb lists of starchy veges, non-starchy veges and other foods.

The book is a good read even if you don't decide to follow the program. What I like best about the program is that I can cook real food. I tend to favor one-pot dishes and make things like Chicken with Chinese Long-Beans and Black Bean Sauce, Beef Stroganoff (without the rice or noodles), Chicken Fricassee, etc.

Hope this helps.

;-Deb