Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 09:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Administrator: could you please just delete this thread?

Obviously, this person has infiltrated a peaceful group to antagonize and offend. In light of all the factual - and polite - responses that Agonycat and others have posted, this debate is moot. He is simply of another school of thought.

Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Default This Forum is for LC'ers

I have been reading this thread... looked at the links... shook my head at the intensity in which this forum and way of eating is being attacked... This is a SUPPORT forum for those who are following the low carb way of eating... There are success stories here that are PHENOMENAL!!! Do you HONESTLY think infuriator that ALL of the ppl who are following Atkins or another LC way of eating, haven't TRIED to lose weight other ways? There are many on here who have had nothing but countless frustration on other diets, who ALSO excercised on those diets, and did NOT have the success that they are having on the Low Carb way of eating. Not to mention that many get regular medical and blood tests to gauge how BENEFICIAL the LC way of eating is to their bodies.Do you HONESTLY think that you are going to dissuade everyone on this forum to go to "your way of eating" by coming here and bashing the LC way of eating? I don't think so. I have never seen someone's nick fit them so well... but guess what... you don't infuriate me... you amuse me... and I am not going to personally attack you like you seem to be doing to the excellent ppl who DO get AND give support here. You are entitled to your own opinion... and we don't NEED "saved" from the LC way of eating, for most here, it has been the way of eating that has SAVED us... so please... take your LC bashing somewhere else~ it is not wanted here... and it isn't because "we can't deal with the truth" as you put it... it is because THIS WORKS, when other things have not... exercise included!!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 10:00

Stats: 196/162.4/150
BF:
Progress: 73%
Unhappy Ditto what Donna said

Or, if you can't delete the thread, would you please block the troll?

I also can think of no reason why this person is posting on this board, other than to disrupt and upset.

Thank you.

G.P.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 10:05

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Ya'll give the guy a break here.

He isn't a medical doctor, so I highly doubt he understand human biology nor what insulin resistance or PCOS is.

I do find it amusing that when he came to the board he "assumed" all of us sat on a couch eating stay puff marshmellows or something What did you think we ate?

We have about a dozen or so RNs and Doctors and Professional Trainers at our finger tips that are helping to support our way of life.

He has only his degree in nutrition probably learned all about the food pyramid but failed to realize that was done over 30 years ago on really bad research that the medical establishments are questioning BECAUSE of the obesity rates and diabetes is causing

Maybe if he stays around long enough reading our research/media forums and our exercise forums and get to know us a little better he wouldn't be so judgmental.

After all *WE* are doing something about our weight problems. Is it possible to open a closed mind?

Keep smiling.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 10:14
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 165/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well if I am going to be blocked from here(under this name at least) I may as well get a shot in here. All of you people are perfect for Atkins because he knows what you want and what you've all gone through and he preys upon this. He knows you are looking for an easy, non exercise way of losing weight but he does not care if it is done right or not. If you continue to follow his way I pity you all.
See ya next time under my new name
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 10:22

No need to block you for having a difference of opinion. We love a good debate and discussion. This one however has petered out due to lack of viable materials from certain parties.

I do believe you are missing the point in our debate. We are not at Atkin's mercy. We do exercise and I am not sure where you came up with such nonsense that we don't. Did you not browse through our forums?

Or did you perhaps do a goggle search on Atkin's and decided this would be a good place to drop in and try to get people mad by trying to refute the Atkin's diet with informericals and news hype? Did you even look into our CKD forums? What about our BFL?

Too bad you are leaving. You could have learned something by sticking around
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 10:23
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by DDMariana
Administrator: could you please just delete this thread?

Obviously, this person has infiltrated a peaceful group to antagonize and offend. In light of all the factual - and polite - responses that Agonycat and others have posted, this debate is moot. He is simply of another school of thought.
Debate is healthy, even if the member in question chooses to retain his/her blind righteousness. The arguments presented here, and the responses to them deserve to be read. Current and future members may find it helpful to know this information when they encounter provocation and nay-sayers in their own lives.

That being said, flaming, personal attacks and profanity are direct violations of the Registration Agreement. Membership can and will be suspended should any debate reduce to those behaviours.

I just read agonycat's reply above here, and agree. Infuriator plunged head-first into low-carb waters with an agenda to convince us of the wrongness of our ways. Unhappily, his lack of understanding of all sides of the issue except the skewed one has rendered his arguments lopsided and ... soaking wet.

He would do well to spend some time reading through the Studies, Research, Fitness and Health forums here. This Atkins support section is only a tiny part of what Active Low Carber is all about.

Doreen
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 11:03

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default studies

Here's a few studies that back-up the LC WOE.

You will notice that the last one is by the ACSM, which is obviously an impartial entity.

Low Carb Diet Alters Hormones

Dr. Jozel Langfort and colleagues from the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw found that during exercise in people following low carb diet, adrenaline and growth hormone levels increase more than when people are on normal diet. Lactic acid levels were also lower. (International Journal of Sports Nuritition and Exercise , 11: 248-257, 2001).

American College of Sports Medicine looks at keto diets

A group of people following a ketogenic diet (10% carbs, high fat) were asked to maintain their normal activity level and to eat sufficient calories equal to maintenance. At the end of the study, subjects lost 2.8 kilograms of bodyweight (6.6 lbs), and 4% of bodyfat (peformed by DEXA analysis). Additionally, they gained 1.4 kilograms of lean mass (3.08 lbs). (Med Sci Sport Exercise , 33(5): S336, 2001)
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 11:08

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default uh huh

As for non-exercise, many of the members here DO exercise. Assuming tha we/they all don't is gross ignorance.

Quote:

There's ways to block that too. Do your homework before you come in fighting next time.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 11:38

Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Thumbs down C'mon...this person's only intent is to infuriate...

The first clue to me was the nickname...INFURIATOR! Why would someone pick a handle like that unless it's how they identify their role? Infuriate means to piss people off. That is the ONLY intent here. Any perception that this person wants intelligent, candid, open-minded debate is incorrect. They only want to antagonize.

Yes, I agree that this is a troll. I think that everyone's energy could be much better spent in responding to newbies' posts and providing support to those on this WOL than wasting energy on pointless argument.

AJ
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 12:12
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Default using another name

Quote:
It's been said, " A rose is just as sweet by any other name" or something along those lines... well, an infuriator is just as much as an infuriator under any other name as well... I agree with AJ... although a good debate is good reading... we could be supporting the others here or welcoming newbies~ and with that said~ that is my last post on this thread.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 12:43

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Post I agree with everyone eles here,

Not only do you need to read pass the Induction section in DANDR but you need to do your research a little deeper, then just jumping to what ever you want to beleive. I see that you are a personal trainer well that shows that you should be in shape if not then you wouldn't have any clients, after all whose going to go to an overweight trainer in order to lose weight.
BTW I have worked out for years & I did the low cal & low fat diets while working out for an average of 2 hours a day 5 days a week. All that it did was made me a healthy chubby person. And everyone I know that does Atkins also exersizes. I started Atkins a little over a month ago and guess what I am now close to my goal weight & I have muscle definition. My fatige , headaches , bloating , stomache pains & muscle spaziums are all gone. I say thank God for Atkins & Low carbs diets I should have done it sooner.
And another thing not only does Dr. Atkins push exersize in his book he also recommends doctors visits regularly.
Any ways who is this Phil Kaplin, I never heard of him, and he is definitly no Doctor. Is he just another sales man. Trying to say he's a doctor , I noticed that people are calling him Dr.Phil Kaplin.
Well I wasted enough time responding to this negatism.

Josie
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 13:39
Registered Member

BF:
Default Re: I agree with everyone eles here,

Quote:
Originally posted by Josiemk
Not only do you need to read pass the Induction section in DANDR but you need to do your research a little deeper, then just jumping to what ever you want to beleive. I see that you are a personal trainer well that shows that you should be in shape if not then you wouldn't have any clients, after all whose going to go to an overweight trainer in order to lose weight.
BTW I have worked out for years & I did the low cal & low fat diets while working out for an average of 2 hours a day 5 days a week. All that it did was made me a healthy chubby person. And everyone I know that does Atkins also exersizes. I started Atkins a little over a month ago and guess what I am now close to my goal weight & I have muscle definition. My fatige , headaches , bloating , stomache pains & muscle spaziums are all gone. I say thank God for Atkins & Low carbs diets I should have done it sooner.
And another thing not only does Dr. Atkins push exersize in his book he also recommends doctors visits regularly.
Any ways who is this Phil Kaplin, I never heard of him, and he is definitly no Doctor. Is he just another sales man. Trying to say he's a doctor , I noticed that people are calling him Dr.Phil Kaplin.
Well I wasted enough time responding to this negatism.

Josie
Phil Kaplan is not a doctor, who said he was? Bottom line, too much fat in the diet and too little carbs WILL lead to problems somewhere down the road!!
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 13:44

Default Re: Re: I agree with everyone eles here,

Quote:
Originally posted by infuriator
Phil Kaplan is not a doctor, who said he was? Bottom line, too much fat in the diet and too little carbs WILL lead to problems somewhere down the road!!

What problems?

Do you have scientific proof that any of us will have problems down the road? Does anyone?

30 years ago the United States Government got behind some faulty research resulting in it's support of the Food Pyramid. 30 years later Americans are obese and diabetic and it relates to what the medical and nutritionalist deem a proper diet.

So where's the proof that low carb dieting causes problems? After a year on this board I have seen class 2 diabetics able to get off insulin and all medications. I have seen people with high blood pressure go to normal. I was one of these.

Instead of being so defensive yourself. How about giving us a chance to show you exactly what low carbin is all about instead of having your mind brainwashed by 30 year old science?
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 14:17
Registered Member

BF:
Default Re: Re: Re: I agree with everyone eles here,

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat
What problems?

Do you have scientific proof that any of us will have problems down the road? Does anyone?

30 years ago the United States Government got behind some faulty research resulting in it's support of the Food Pyramid. 30 years later Americans are obese and diabetic and it relates to what the medical and nutritionalist deem a proper diet.

So where's the proof that low carb dieting causes problems? After a year on this board I have seen class 2 diabetics able to get off insulin and all medications. I have seen people with high blood pressure go to normal. I was one of these.

Instead of being so defensive yourself. How about giving us a chance to show you exactly what low carbin is all about instead of having your mind brainwashed by 30 year old science?

First of all I believe the food pyramid is too general and I would not recommend all aspects of it. It is not specific enough. I am mainly concerned with the high fat content that low carb diets suggest. When you say low how low are we talking. If we are talking down in the 20g/per daY amount then that is dangerous. The brain and nervous system need carbs and this is fact, like it or not. It is ok to ingest carbs as long as the sugars are eliminated from the diet. Reducing carbs is fine but going to extreme low levels is not regardless of what Atkins or anyone else says.