Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 10:15

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%
Default How can I make pasta?

Well,

I've tried mashed cauliflower for mashed potato in cottage pie - not bad at all; grated cauliflower for rice - acceptable. but I'd like to try to make some pasta dishes.

I can't get wheat gluten in this country but I can get soya flour. Bearing in mind I live in an underdeveloped country with no healthfood stores, I'd be happy to receive any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes from Belarus.
Robert
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 12:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sorry Robert, I've never even wanted to remotely make or eat pasta, so I have no tips or ideas to give you. Maybe someone else has a few ideas or has made it successfully and will be by to help you out.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 05:34

Plan: a bit of everything LC
Stats: 141/129.9/123 Female 5'2
BF:still a bit
Progress: 62%
Smile Hi pasta lover

I don't know which country you live in but I found this link where you can order LC-pasta

http://www.thelowcarbbaker.ca/products/index.php

it's in canada I live in Switzerland - listen I have time to go trough
my cookingbooks this weekend when I find anything (tasty) I let you know okay? Have fun
Connie
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 18:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hi, Robert. It must be a challenge living in BeloRus!

Here's the website of one of the original lowcarb/Atkins recipe developers I ever ran into, back in 1998 when I started this W.O.L. It's based out of Germany/Deutschland, and includes how-to-make-its for all kinds of basics, including pasta... great for experimenting.
http://www.titanic.kn-bremen.de/allrec.html

Personally, these many years later, when I feel the urge to have a creamy pasta sauce or one fraught with basil and tomato, I steam up some fresh green beans (delicious!) or a spaghetti squash or sauteed zucchini ribbons (with garlic & olive oil).

Whatever you do, enjoy!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 02:37

Many thanks Judi, Connie and Karen,

I've had a quick look at that recipe site and it looks very useful. Thanks for the tips. I'll carry on experimenting.

living in Belarus is fine. OK, I can't order stuff but there are many great dairy products here which you can't get in the west and meat is cheap and good quality.

Best wishes,
Robert.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 11:57

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

What's spaghetti squash? Can it be found at a regular grocery store?
Thanks,
Tori
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 16:26

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 238/212/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Spaghetti squash is a squash. You will find it in the fresh vegetable section of the grocery store. It is slightly smaller than a football and is of a yellow color. The reason it is called spaghetti squash is for the fact that after it is cooked it can be forked from it's shell looking like spaghetti. I love to fix it and then put butter, pepper and salt on it. There are different ways that it can be cooked either on the stove, in the microwave and I've even read it can be baked in the oven.
Good luck with it.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 13:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Thanks for the site

IslandGirl
Thanks for this website! It has some good basic recipes, and I am a basic cook! I have been looking all over for the best flour alternatives to use for pasta. Yes I usually use spagetti squash as well, slow baked in the oven. I love it, but my family feels totally ripped off when they are hoping for pasta. As a matter of fact I made my own version of lasagna the other night substituting cabbage leaves for pasta. They were none too happy when they figured that switch out!
I find that homemade pasta is so wonderful, light and nobody gets that bloated feeling. I just have to find a good low carb version. ( Looks like the posted site has one)
By the way the problem with the cabbage alternative is that the lasagna is too runny, with nothing to absorb the juices. I considered using dried shredded cabbage next time. Has anybody tried something like that?

Quote" Here's the website of one of the original lowcarb/Atkins recipe developers I ever ran into, back in 1998 when I started this W.O.L. It's based out of Germany/Deutschland, and includes how-to-make-its for all kinds of basics, including pasta... great for experimenting.
http://www.titanic.kn-bremen.de/allrec.html "
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 00:43

Stats: 237/178/150 Female 5 feet, 11 inches
BF:
Default Re: Thanks for the site

Quote:
I considered using dried shredded cabbage next time. Has anybody tried something like that?

I've used eggplant instead of cabbage and absolutely loved it!!!! (For dinner, breakfast the next day, lunch....

I cut the eggplant in half, into then thin slices (like half moons, about 1cm thick.) I grill them in the oven for about 12 minutes and assemble like a pasta lasagna. I've found that letting the lasagna sit for 5-10 minutes after baking lets it firm up a bit and not so runny. Enjoy!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 14:28

Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Thanks Rikke

Oh that is a great idea Rikke!

Kind of like Moussaka lasagna!!! I love greek food but I have never used eggplant myself at home.
I will give that a shot. Is eggplant low in carbs too! I guess I can check myself!
Yea I could also use egg cooked up like crepes too I suppose!!
The family mostly like the cheeses and the meat and I just want it to not be too runny!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 20:48

Plan: Smart Carbs!
Stats: 163/133/125 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 79%
Thumbs up Zucchini Noodles(like pasta)

I make zucchini noodles alfredo from Suzanne Somers . You take your zucchini and slice it with a vegetable peeler and voila....yummy noodles! and healthy too.....
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 14:00

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Spaghetti Squash was an awesome substitute!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 01:43

Spaghetti Squash is not acailable in the UK - ho hum. Maybe I'll do some experimenting with almond flour, soy flour etc.
Anyone got any recipes?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 02:50

Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

Hi Robert

I actually posted about this on the vegetarian forum the other day! The full thread can be found at http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=1277232

But fear not... a recipe is to hand, and its really easy to make with or without a machine!

The basic recipe I use for one large or two small servings is:

1 medium egg
85g soya flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
Large pinch of fine ground salt (I use Solo for the lower sodium intake)

Just mix the flour and salt in a bowl, make a well in the centre, pour in the egg and oil and slowly blend in. Once fully blended, knead it firmly for around five minutes. Cover with clingfilm (saran wrap for the other side of the pond! ) and put in the fridge for 20-30 minutes. Then briefly knead again before shaping to the desired style either with a pasta maker or with a rolling pin and knife.

Voila! I'd suggest starting off just making tagliatelle or the like to get a feel for how long it needs cooking (about 2-3 mins normally). Thereafter you'll doubtless find infinite combinations fillings and flavourings (adding things like basil or chilli to the mix, for example) to play with!

I've been planning to try it with almond powder too, so if you get there first do please let me know how you get on!

Another alternative is making egg noodles... literally frying a thin layer of whisked egg in a good non-stick frying pan, lifting it off whole and cutting in to ribbons.

Hope those help.

Last edited by UrbanGypsy : Fri, Aug-08-03 at 02:52.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 09:22

Thanks UrbanGypsy,

After you've make the pasta and cut it up do you let it dry before boiling it or do you just drop it into boiling water?

Also, can you let it dry and store it for later (even if this is not necessary).