Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 19:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Sources

Hi eurydice,
I was away for a while and am just catching up on things. You were asking about sources in Vancouver? I use YVS and Genesis Nutrition. Genesis is a good place to get things cheap. The other stores are not too happy about their pricing and threaten to boycott brands that give them special deals, but it's good for the consumer!

I think you have all the other info you were after from everyone else. Good luck in your search.

Colin
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 07:31

Plan: schwarzbein/ hellers low carb
Stats: 150/142/119
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi eurydice,

sorry i've taken so long to reply ...... i've been expereiencing a flare up of my me syptoms hence have to rest more............ !

In regards to ARMOUR THYROID my consultant gets it direct from the US.....as it is not available in England. It is made by FOREST PHARMACEUTICALS, INC. aSUBSIDARY OF FOREST LABORITIES, INC, ST LOUIS, MO 63045.
iN RELATION TO YOUR BREATHING PROBLEMS .....I HAD THAT TOO.
It may be due to the dose being too high initially .....perhaps a lower dose to start off with might be recommended.......just a thought....see if your doc can lower it or take half a tablet instead.

Good luck

liberty x
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 13:50
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 176/170/130
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks alot Liberty for the address for the armour thyroid. I'll write it down and show it to my doctor. Yes, the dose of the l-thyroxine was 50mcgs, I could break them in half. The weird thing however, is that I haven't taken those drugs for weeks and I still can't breathe. I've been waiting to be able to breathe before starting them again. I am now on no medication that I wasn't on before I ever had a breathing problem. While the doctors are obviously convinced it's anxiety and have therefore prescribed xanax, I dont' have any other symptoms(regarding panic attacks). No heart racing, it doesn't just come and go quickly, it's starts in the morning, goes all day, I go to bed, and so on every day for a few weeks now. First it would last a few days then go away and I would not take the xanax. This time, it has been going on every day for a couple of weeks. I DO NOT want to get addicted to xanax. But I don't seem to have a choice at this point. I thought anxiety attacks were short lived-a few times a week-not constant not being able to get enough air. They've x-rayed my lungs and listened to my chest and I'm "perfectly healthy". Anyway, and this on top of all the other regular pain, fatigue, symtoms. My diets gone to hell, I think I've even gained weight. I've been so exhausted that I can't even read the book. Anyway, it's been really bad lately. I've upped my dose of 5-HTP to 100 mgs today. I'm really happy with the tips I've got here. As the doctors have done nothing for me, except make me worse. Oh well. Thanks too for your supply tip, Colin. I'm right by metrotown, so there's lots of stores close by. thanks liberty.

Last edited by eurydice : Tue, Oct-01-02 at 17:15.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 23:32

Plan: protien power
Stats: 326/300/190
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default antidepressants, cfids and low carbing

i do all this too! i have bi-polar disorder, and i am presently on effexor, which i have had the best results with, plus NO weight gain. i have tried about five or six others. the thing is, if one thing doesnt work for me i wouldnt tell you not to use it, because with our different metabolisms we all react differently to different meds plus different dosages. effexor and ...oh dear, im fogging over...it starts with a c they are the cleanest ones of the lot, having the least amount of interaction problems. do you have really bad cravings or just normal sized ones? i still go"oh, id sure like a (fill in the blank), but i dont go crazy and feel like if i dont have it ill die there are so many good sweets for low carbers now! i love the truffles by...oh of course i cant think of that either...and a new company called...judys? makes peanut brittle and english toffee that is JUST like the real stuff(and im really picky!) i think just keep communicating with your dr about what works and doesnt work-it is all very individual... effexor and that *C* one have the fastest uptake too, so you dont have to wait weeks for it to kick in. i know that the fish oils and salmon especially are super good for mental illness, and depression. i wish you well!
deb
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 01:48
Registered Member

BF:

Hey thanks. I guess you're referring to celexa. About the cravings-they're for chocolate and they are really bad. Take care and best wishes.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 12:12

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Hi, eurydice...sorry I didn't pipe in sooner...

Where to start!?

First of all, it sounds as though you have fibro.

Quote:
All my tests come up "normal". I'm exhausted, muscle pain, brain fog, can't work, can't sleep, reflux everyday(bring up food), weakness, bad skin, hair loss, dry eyes, problem going to the bathroom etc. I've seen an endocrinologist-everything's "normal" hormone wise-except a low cortisol, but when they stimulated it-it was "normal"-case closed. I'm at least 40 pounds overweight.Anyway, What antidepressant would you recommend for least weight gain and what the heck do you do about really bad cravings for sweets. I've got will power-I've quit smoking, drinking, and a lot of other things-this use to be far less of a problem-but like I said-I couldn't even stick to Scarsdale for one day! I think I have CFS, noise bothers me, smells bother me-heck-everything bothers me!

Fibro flare-up seem to go along with Seasonal Affective Disorder. And you have all the classic symptoms. The only thing you didn't mention was tender points. There is a fibro board here. Check it out. This is a good website: http://www.fmnetnews.com/

Now...antidepressants. I have tried Zoloft, Prozac, Celexa, Wellbutrin and Effexor. Effexor wins hands down! It doesn't just help with the serotonin the way others do, and it doesn't just help with dopamine the way Welbutrin does. It helps with both. And it also helps with the peculiar pains I have. And it also helps with my eye problems. And my stomach. It does not help with the skin and hair problems. And it helps with my memory problems that come along at this time. And my "hating life" attitude.

All antidepressants cause side-effects...even the Effexor. But with it I have only dry mouth, nausea at first and sleep issues. But I found if I take it with my coffee as soon as I get up, I am better able to get to sleep. But when I can't, I just take a benedryl pill. It is really strange because if you sit down, you will fall asleep and never get up. But if you keep going, it helps you keep going. I am more disciplined when I am on it.

Regarding low carb. I can't take it all the way down like with Atkins. I have to have a modified level.

Oh, and Prozac has a long half-life. Effexor does not. So you will feel it "wearing off." It's not really wearing off because the half-life is 38 hours, but it does lose its strengh and you have to be careful because you will eat if you are not aware. That is why people can gain weight. and also, why you eat to start with. If you eat because of stress, then you will probably lose weight. But just be aware that you can have tremendous cravings in the evening and be prepared to ignore them after you have eaten a reasonable dinner.

Hope all this helps. Be glad to answer any specific questions.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 14:00

BF:
Default effexor

plus, the effexor(for me)has the least amount of interference with my libido. yes youre right about effexor having both the seratonin and dopamine effects in our favor! this has worked better than any other one for me, plus i can still lose weight on this woe. when they have done tests for you and you come up "normal", this is no doubt what you have. testing for cfids or fms is basically a process of elimination. you have all the symptoms i have had. i dont know very much about SAD. can someone tell me about it?
about chocolate..ross is good! also carbolite makes good choccy, and Pure Delite is my very favorite in choccy-its belgian and they make truffles too. i found a place that sells that judy's stuff, no kidding, and ive eaten loads of brands, this stuff is to die for. here is the website: http://www.lowcarboutfitters.com/chocolatecandy.html
if you cant find much around where you live. i know here in eugene its really hard to find stuff, but our next city over, portland has a low carb store! good luck on finding a good antidepressant for you-finding low carb treats is easy and i have to say, this website is so so organized i cant even believe it-and everyone is so nice
deb j.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 15:45

Default Oh, yes...

libido. I forgot about that. Effexor has the least effect for me also.

And I tried Paxil. I forgot that one. And I also tried one that I don't remember the name of, a few years ago that I took to help with the sleeping problems. It helped me sleep but made me a total witch the next day.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 16:50

BF:
Default anti-depressants

paxil is one of the six ive been on too. the sleep disorder goes along with cfids/fms. ive had to take trazadone to sleep. i used to be on something else...ive tried more magnesium, it worked the first couple of days, then my body got used to it . being on anti depressants, i cant take melatonin. so its a hard one to get around. if i do some excersizing before bed, then a warm bath, it helps. (i do tai chi).
how does anyone feel about medical marijuana for the pain of cfids/fms and help in sleeping? it is legal here. i have tried it a few times for that and it has really helped me. im thinking about asking for a subscription, for the occasional time where even the trazadone doesnt work, and the pain is great. i have taken naprosyn prn for pain, it takes a <i>little</i> of the edge off, then was using darvocet after i had knee surgery. that stuff makes me in more pain than originally after about four days. i was just put on a new pain med, dont know the name-but its not really doing anything. what are some things some of you have tried?
i am very glad to be here! i just cant get over how its laid out. someone took very great care in making it
hugs,
deb
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 09:43

Default Eruydice are you still out there?

did you ever get any answers regarding your symptoms?
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 09:47

Default Missyvonne...

did you see the information on SAD?

Can I help answer any questions about it?

I see you have Fibro/CFS. I have yet to see anyone with either that didn't have SAD, even if they didn't get diagnosed with it. Seems to run hand-in-hand.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 15:21
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for piping in quietone and missyvonne-you're right, this is a great place and the people here are very nice and helpful. As far as the medical marijuana, it's legal here too. I don't see any reason why a person shouldn't use it if it helps them to sleep and with pain, but I would be a little concerned about "the munchies". I've finally got a good start on my eating program. I can't follow an exact menu because my roomate does the cooking and shopping because I'm too wiped out to do it, but he knows what I'm trying to do, so he's supportive and I just don't eat the rice, potatoes. I just have meat and veggies. I actually gained a bit more weight-that's what got my butt in gear. Then when I started I lost 2 pounds. So I'm taking it day by day. Anyway, yes, I got checked for the pressure points and I had a bunch of them. One of them on my back by my "wing" bone hurts like mad without even touching it. I'm off all antidepressants right now. I'm trying St. John's Wort. I have heard of effexor and lots of people-even my doctor said it's a good one. But, I've heard a few people say it's really hard to get off of and that kind of frightens me. Which is stupid I know, because if it helps, it could make a real difference. And everyone reacts differently of course. I'm going for therapy soon, I've read that regular talk therapy can be as effective as antidepressants , but that doesn't take in the immediate physical benefits that some antidepressants can have. It funny you mention SAD. I actually like fall and winter better than spring and summer. I can't stand the heat and the brightness. Plus, I hate being fat in the summer. In the winter, under a bunch of sweaters, it's alot more comforting to me than to walk around sweating in a long shirt and pants because I won't wear shorts. Yes, the cravings in the evening-that's when it hits me! I can go all day up until 7 or 8 then WHAM! That's when I mess up my day. But I've gotten some chromium and I'm doing better. I'll admit I've had a couple small slips, but I've definitely cut way down on the amount. So I'm going to keep at it. I definfintely notice when I eat properly, I dont' have reflux, or not as much and I can go to the bathroom easier. So it really does make a difference. Thanks again.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 00:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/178.6/150 Female 63"
BF:47.5%/37.8%/27%
Progress: 54%
Talking 2 more cents

I need to give a thumbs up for Effexor also! I have been on all sorts of things over the last 15 years. Last summer I saw a new Psychiatrist who is the best I have ever met. He is incredible! He also strongly suggested an omega 3 supplement which I have been taking in the form of Flax oil caps. My FM is under control...I no longer sleep all the time or feel like I will collapse...I had many of the same symptoms you have. I also saw an endocrinologist who, although my tests were (all but thyroid) "normal", scratched below the surface and ordered a glucose uptake test which is done by drawing blood over 4 hours after a fasting and then drinking glucose. He discovered I was "insulin resistent" which not only makes you feel crappy but makes you crave as well as keeps your body from losing weight. I feel awsome..I workout 5 times a week and before this I slept sometimes 20 hours a day and was in so much pain I could hardly lift my arms to brush my hair! Good luck and hang in there!
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 09:18

Default Omega 3...

I am trying this naturally. (Eating)

Not really sure if there is a difference or not yet.

Became allergic to Effexor and have now had to go off of it.

I am trying the new drug Lex????, but I don't like it. For one thing, it makes me forgetful...ha, ha, ha
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 20:28

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default hi eurydice....

Hi I also have fibromyalgia and lupus. I take 75 mg of amytriptline, 25 mg paxil, and zanax as needed....I am also diabetic...I cannot get off my medications, as these are needed along with many others...I am also diabetic...

I have been on the atkins for 2 weeks and 4 days and have lost 13 lbs. I am a sugar aholic...Binge sweet eater, reformed bulimic...I gained lots of weight when I gave up that and also gained with 10 years on and off of predisone. After the first week on atkins, My desire for sweets and the need to binge has stopped. My sugar would swing from around 45 to 285 through out the day. At 45, I was grabbing sugar and anything I could get down to stop the dizzyness...Now I'm at a steady state with my sugar maintaining around 100....So, really be serious about counting your carbs and I think that you possible can loose....I know that I am. I could not stay on a calorie counting diet...Well, it's late will see you later. Good luck