Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: On induction, I drank:
Decaf 225 29.53%
Regular, and I think it impaired my weight loss. 49 6.43%
Regular, and I think it had no effect on my weight loss. 488 64.04%
Voters: 762. You may not vote on this poll

#61   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 14:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I 've dropped coffee for Yerba Mate, a tea-like drink from South America that is PACKED with vitamins. The form of caffeine in Mate gives me a morning boost without keeping me awake at night. It comes in several flavors but I like the traditional form. One tea bag gives me 4-5 cups of hot tea in the AM and 2-3 cups of cold tea in the PM.

Yerba maté is naturally teeming with nutrients: 24 vitamins and minerals, 15 amino acids, potent antioxidants, caffeine and 196 active compounds (superior to green tea's 144 active compounds).
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 16:59

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Cream and Splenda

I continued to consume regular coffee. I know that I would have terrible headaches that I just can't afford being in school and stuff. I do try to keep it under 2 or 3 cups a day but I am losing successfully. Who knows, maybe I would lose faster without it. But I am satisfied with the results.

Love Y'all,
Black57
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 19:09

Stats: 137/117/115
BF:
Progress: 91%

I drink two mugs of caffeinated coffee every morning and have lost weight without a problem.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 19:45

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 132/128/120
BF:
Progress: 33%

I drank decaf because the caffine takes the Chromium out of your system, that is one of the things that helps to keep the blood sugar stable and helps metabolize carbs. After induction if I had andy caffine, in tea or soda I made sure to take some chromium supplement.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 22:02

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
Default Half & Half

I love coffee. tried decaf for 3 days, ugh.

Settled for half regular mixed with half naturally decaffeinated.

Have lost 14.5 in 12 days.

BTW I drink Community medium roast. It comes from MS The best coffee I have ever tasted in my life.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 11:08

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Hey!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Carrollee
You mean coffee is not a major food group?

It is in my house ? <<<DOH>>>

black
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 17:49
Registered Member

Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%

Boy, it's nice to see so many fellow addicts Like most of you, I couldn't bear the thought of giving up dessert AND coffee, so I didn't!

I do have to say that, after stalling for a few weeks, I decided to go without cream. Great decision, because now I'm used to black coffee and I've started losing again! I would also echo an earlier post that green tea is very good for the metabolism as well, and a good alternative to coffee for the caffeine.

-Jinkster
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 20:02

Stats: 202/167/136
BF:
Progress: 53%

Coffee? Give up coffee? Never!

I've been going 8 weeks, have lost heaps, my cholesterol has dropped, as has my blood pressure, and I have 2-3 cups of coffee a day. Thank God I read the first edition of the book in which coffee is allowed. Life without a fix of caffeine must be death.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 20:13

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%
Default Soybean coffee?

I haven't seen or tried this yet, but this concept is fascinating... soybean coffee! There's a brand called Rocamojo. Look at all the benefits they claim:

*It's completely caffeine free
*It has no fat, no sugar, no carbohydrates or cholesterol
*It's high in protein (13 grams) and high in fiber (6 grams)
*It contains high levels of recommended daily allowances of riboflavin, niacin, calcium, amino acids and iron
*It promotes cardiovascular health
*It contains isoflavones, an excellent source of antioxidants

They also have it with caffeine. Has anybody tried anything like this? The protein and fiber (and lack of carbohydrates) sounds perfect for this WOE.

Here's a link to the Rocamojo site: Rocamojo: Making Coffee Healthy!
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 06:59

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I am having coffee first thing this morning for the first time in several years. I gave up coffee, due to GERD, heart palpitations and panic attacks. I still had 2 cups of tea in the mornig. During Induction I drank decaf tea.
Several weeks ago I started drinking a cup of coffee in the afternoon because I was getting the "afternoon wilts". No ill effects.
Yesterday I was reading posts by TrainerDan and others about coffee before cardio workout so I'm giving it a try,

P.S. Man that coffee tastes soooo good!
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 15:18

Stats: 201/196/135
BF:
Progress: 8%
Unhappy The Coffee Question ?!?!?!?!

I have wondered this myself - Atkins says that diet sodas also alter or can cause stalls - not to mention that the Splenda has carbs. However, I usually drink decaf and sometimes flavored coffee - this is a delight that I do not want to give up.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 15:30
Registered Member

Plan: akins
Stats: 187/183/145
BF:???
Progress: 10%

WOW O WOW I LOVE YOU!!!!
I hated giving up my gourmet coffee, I drink lots of it, all day with a glass of water too, now after reading some of this, I am gonna have me a big cup of the good stuff tomorrow morn!!
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 17:31

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

I haven't given up my coffee, but I have cut down, only because if I drank as much as I did before this WOE I'd use up my carb allotment for the day before noon...

I'll fix only half-a-pot on any given morning, and as often as not I'll make a whole pot of English Breakfast tea and have that instead. On the road I have a cup of tea with breakfast and a couple cups of coffee at my desk; then it's water the rest of the day! (Today was an exception; I was stuck on a paper I was writing for the customer, and I needed the coffee... )
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 20:18
myredlocks

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I'm finishing up Induction and getting ready to make my decision to move on to OWL or stay where I'm at. Given all the problems that I have with caffeine...I totally quit a few days before starting Induction.

I was a Pepsi, latte finatic. There were some days that I had up to 4 cans of Pepsi and a latte. So yes, the sugar was a large part of the problem...but so was the caffeine.

When I quit cold turkey...I was irritable for a few days, but now...fine. I feel filtered so to speak. It's a good feeling. In fact, I'm more fearful to have it knowing that I can easily get sucked into the addiction again. This will be something to experiment with decaf...maybe. But we'll see.
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 08:38

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I completely quit caffeine and didn't even drink decaf during induction, didn't want to take a chance of it impairing my weight loss. I started adding decaf coffee w/heavy cream after three months. I still drink a cup of decaf every morning w/half-and-half now.