Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: On induction, I drank:
Decaf 225 29.53%
Regular, and I think it impaired my weight loss. 49 6.43%
Regular, and I think it had no effect on my weight loss. 488 64.04%
Voters: 762. You may not vote on this poll

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 02:04
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Gotta have my coffee!!!!

I just couldn't give up my coffee. Having been a Truck Driver for a few years, I have to admidt that I am really hooked. The changes I did make were to use Sweet n low, or Splenda as well as heavy whipping cream. I lost 13lbs on induction, and my entire weight loss was in an eight month period. I have been at my current weight for approx a year and a half. I can't call it a stall though, not when I eat popcorn & hot dogs with bun! I have apparently managed the balance that is necessary to stay healthy, as well as at my current weight.

So when I get ready to get down to it, getting rid of those last 15lbs, coffee isn't one of the things I'll be passing up for a while. (popcorn and hotdog buns will be!)
Thanks for the poll though. I will now be able to drink my coffee and chai tea without guilt!
Happy New Year All......and don't forget to drink your water!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Never gave up my coffee...never will! I lost about 12 pounds on induction, but due to eating too much of the "legal" stuff, and indulging here and there, I never really went much beyond that.

Now my portions are much lower, I only eat when hungry and cut out the nuts and bars. My coffee is just one large bowl in the morning!! I use S & L and half and half...losing steadily now.

Very happy...I'm a major coffee lover!

#48   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 19:35
Registered Member

Stats: 215/210/155
BF:
Progress: 8%

Never did stop coffee while on Induction so have no idea I would have had more success with weight loss without it. I tried to stop but just felt sooooooooooooooooooooooo tired all day without it.....admitted Starbuck addict
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 13:30

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I drink 2 - 8oz regular coffees with an oz of cream in each. I'm losing weight and inches so it doesn't affect my weight loss.

Vikki
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 13:47

Stats: 260/235.0/165 Female 69"
BF:38.4/32.9/24.4
Progress: 26%

I drank regular coffee, one 8oz cup of coffee with cream in it everyday of my induction phase. I lost 11 pounds in 2 weeks and it didn't have any affect on my weight loss. I did however, make sure to drink more that 88 oz of water everyday. I still enjoy my regular coffee and even put slenda in it, with the cream, now. Sometimes I enjoy a second cup if I want it!

Good question! Thanks for doing the poll. It is nice to know I am not alone in this thought.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 15:09

Stats: 251/244/150
BF:
Progress: 7%

I was on a "different" diet a few months ago that suggested that I quit caffeine. And so I did.

The diet was so difficult, I ended up quitting it. However, I did stay off of caffeine. It was just so hard to get off of it, I don't want to put myself through that again. Now that I am off, I am satisfied with decaf solutions for coffee cravings.

After the diet I was on, I gained a whole bunch of weight (rebound from deprivation I think). I have often wondered if my being off of caffeine contributed to some of my weight gain.

So, there you have it. Do what works for you
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 19:47

Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%
Talking

You mean coffee is not a major food group?
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 22:01

Stats: 230/188/175 Female 65 inches
BF:48/idk/25
Progress: 76%

I was a coffee junkie, too. Before I started this WOE I usually had either 2 VERY strong cups of coffee or 3-4 shots of espresso. Shortly after I started induction, I decided to give it up because I didn't want to risk any insulin surges, but mostly because I didn't want to spend my carbs on cream and Splenda packets. During induction those 20 carbs were too precious to me to spring for 6 carbs first thing in the morning. (2 cups coffee plus about 3T cream plus 2 packets Splenda).

I recently got back into a cup in the morning because I had the opportunity to be on vacation in a place with great coffee, but I'm going to save that for special occasions.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 22:05

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

I cannot give up my coffee either........heavy cream and splenda....3 cups in the morning. I also take a total of 3 diet pills called PowerThin w/Chromemate.....they have 40mg caffeine in each pill.
I have to wonder though.....the people that do give up caffeine and notice that they gain or stall, but when they get back on, they start losing again......maybe that's because caffeine raises heart-rate, or metabolism? I wondered because these diet pills that I take (they also have ephedra though, which is a WHOLE nother discussion!) makes me lose weight faster....but with the added caffeine, Im sure that boosts it up.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 10:41

Plan: adkins
Stats: 260/250/210
BF:don't know
Progress: 20%
Default coffee

I'm in week two and still drinking my 2pots or so of coffee a day(black), I don't know if it slowed down my weight loss or not. and I really don't know how much I weighed before I started or how much I weigh now, BUT my cloths fit better and I'm able to get into small sizes
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 12:06

Stats: 187/187/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Post Coffee

Great thread

I can relate to Darla on page 2 (I think)... I grew up with coffee... I think I was maybe 10 when I started drinking it... and so long as I was drinking it "as is" no cream or sugar... my parents didn't have a problem with it...

It quickly became my beverage of choice... I don't drink pop, sweet drinks ect... I always prefered coffee... and I think I could drink most folks under the table (Still talking about coffee LOL).

I usually drink a pot from breakfast to lunch... one from lunch to supper ... and one from supper to bed... and this is just by myself...

In the last year or so... we switched to half calf... and when we started the Atkin's WOL.. we knocked it back to 2/3 decaf..

When I am good about drinking my 8 glasses of water... I tend not to drink "as" much... but would still be Lots compared to most..

I am not sure if coffee has had any impact on the weight loss... as I have lost 10lbs in about 6 weeks... but I think... for me... there are other factors I need to look at first... ie atkins bars.. and ross chocolate bars.. and their alcohol sugars...

at any rate... before this becomes a book instead of a post...

to my fellow coffee addict's...

My motto... swing by... the pots AlWays On...
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 17:31

Plan: Me-atkins/hubby-metabolic
Stats: 200/195/150
BF:
Progress: 10%

I don't know if I'll quit caffiene for good, but I cut down dramatically. Here's a tip: Cold brew! Buy a coffee toddy and make coffee concentrate by cold brewing your coffee. This is espresso strength coffee. You then boil water when you want coffee and pour it in, 1/4 concentrate to 3/4 cups water.

Here's the deal. It naturally cuts caffiene by 1/3. I brew haf caf in it and cut it even more. I drink three cups a day. So I'm getting very little caffiene, but boy does my coffee taste GOOD! It's much smoother and nicer than hot brew. You also have a great treat maker now. Mix ice, coffee concentrate, some cream and LC vanilla syrup in the blender for a frappicino. Yum!

Anyway, it works for me and a coffee toddy is only 30 bucks. Look them up online. They're great!

Kay (hoping it's not affecting her loss...but have a long "weigh" to go. :-)
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:15

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I do better with a cup of coffee in the morning.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:21

Stats: 195/154/125 Female 5'0"
BF:never measured it
Progress: 59%
Default Refuse to give it up!

I'm a total coffee nut. The kind who goes to Italy and checks out all the different coffee houses, and I roast my own coffee each week -- a really fun hobby! I actually don't drink that much and remember the caffeine level in a dark roast is actually much less than the lighter roasts 'cause much of the caffeine burns off in the roasting. But it's one of my few little pleasures and I don't think it's impeded my weight loss in the least; I have a double espresso every morning with whipping cream in it -- yahoo! It improves my disposition, if nothing else. I am pretty good about following the diet in every other way, though, which may account for why my caffeine indulgence hasn't really set me back.

jsandrock
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 09:21

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I gave up drinking coffee when I started because it was a HABIT not a bad thing for the plan. I wanted a change to let me know I was changing my way of errors.

It didnt last. I am doing de-caf now and only after a coffee cup full of water. In the mid afternoon I'm having decaf with sweet&low in it. I never put anythiing in my coffee before but I'm using that for a snack .Not a great one if you count it as 2carbs. I think the best thing for me would be to go cold turkey not have any. Real cold turkey would be a better choice and a cup of hot water with lemon.

My weight stalled for a couple of weeks but dropped by about 3lb in the last week. Coffee not likely the culprit for stall or release.