Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: On induction, I drank:
Decaf 225 29.53%
Regular, and I think it impaired my weight loss. 49 6.43%
Regular, and I think it had no effect on my weight loss. 488 64.04%
Voters: 762. You may not vote on this poll

#31   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 02:35

Plan: Dr. Atkins'
Stats: 170/158/150
BF:
Progress: 60%

I don't often drink 'real' coffee but when I do it's black and strong, no sugar. I find this really helps if constipation strikes! I think I drink too little to affect weight loss.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 03:21
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Every morning I have about a half a pot of coffee and I did not give up coffee during Induction and I lost weight during Induction. I know that coffee has been blamed for stalls, but I think that stalls are just a very frustrating element of the losing weight process and perseverance is the only surefire way to break a stall. I just figure that if I hang in there, sooner or later something's gotta give. If I stall, I refuse to believe that it was that peanut I ate last week or the cup of coffee I had yesterday or the fact that my water intake was 2 ounces under the other day. Now I need to get off of my soap box and pour a hot top on my coffee.
asugar
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 06:37

Plan: bodyopus
Stats: 212/196/185
BF:15%
Progress: 59%
Thumbs down Caffeine thing is a myth thats all it is

Anyone here takes the ECA stack or thermogenic fatburning stack, well here you have it, you got a lot of caffeine in there.

I have read many studies on this and i do take ECA stack once a day and when i am in ketosis 2 times to speed up fatloss, now it never stopped me from losing any fat and i sure didnt kick me out of ketosis., Exept the time i used sweetners.

They say that insuline will rise and that you will crave carbs, well for sure if you take your coffee with a donut and a mountain of sugar your asking for it.

Caffeine helps you focus when you train and acutally releases fat in the blood to be burned has energy.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 05:00

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Caffeine and I had to part ways quite some time ago as it really messed me up. I had aggravated PMS and fibrocystic breast disease, which all improved when I gave up caffeine. I am now diabetic and I know for a FACT coffee caffeine raises my blood sugar. (No, tea and sodas don't really affect it, but then, I don't drink much soda--although I drink tea most every day).
To those who feel the need to give up coffee caffeine may I recommend a brand? It's the very devil to find, though--"Luzianne Decaf with Chicory". It makes a VERY bold cup of coffee, in fact, per directions use 1/2 of what you'd use for regular coffee. When I first bought it I didn't read the directions, so when I stirred in 3 creamers and the color didn't change significantly, well that was my first clue I'd made it too strong! Then I read the directions. But even though I'd made it much too strong that first time, it was completely drinkable. No bitterness whatsoever, but lots of flavor. Give it a try--if you can find it!!
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 19:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/130/106
BF:
Progress: 0%

i still do take coffee but someitmes in the morn when i a m in the rush i will have only half a cup anf the other half i will have in my my office.

I just bought decaff recently and just add 1 tablespoon of full cream milk or sometimes just the non dairy creamer kind. Well over here in singapore there's 2-in 1 kind where they have the coffee and the creamer in ine sachet mionus the sugar so sometimes when i am lazy i will just have that.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 06:59

Stats: 275/250/209
BF:
Progress: 38%
Thumbs up Coffee protects you from diabetes

I'm one of those that didn't alter my coffee consumption when starting Atkins. I still lose weight at a comfortable 1.65 pounds/week and have been since about three weeks into Induction. I lost a bit more the first few weeks. Anyway, a new Dutch study indicates that drinking severn or more cups of coffee per day halves your risk of getting diabetes. This is about what I do consume and it's not that excessive here in Sweden, but then we are probably the top consumer per capita in the world of coffee.

I guess that drinking that much coffee has other (deleterious) effects, but it seems that it's not all bad!

URL: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...tory_10276.html
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 13:49

Plan: Atkins web site
Stats: 138/128/124
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Carb count in coffee?

I count each cup as 1 carb, and it leaves me feeling a little carb-deprived after 3 - 4 cups/day with cream.

Do you all count coffee into the daily carb count? It looks as though everyone is losing just fine drinking mega coffee, so I wonder if it's a part of everyone's carb counts.

PS: I've been stuck at the same weight for about 2 months - lost most of my weight in the first two weeks - with coffee.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 17:00
Registered Member

Stats: 225/214/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Well, I was very determined to make this WOE work for me, and when I started at the beginning of May, I did everything by the book. I stopped drinking my beloved Joe Beans coffee, and started on decaf. I'm not sure why, but I got no headaches or withdrawl at all, and I drank anywhere from 3 large mugs or more of Starbucks strength coffee every day.
I lost 12 lbs. during the first two weeks of induction.
Now I have no idea if the caffeine lack made any diff or not, and frankly my dear....I don't give a darn!! I'm losing weight consistently for the first time in my life...and I like it, I like it!!
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 09:26

Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%

I'm really addicted to my coffee, and would never give it up. Researching Atkins, it doesn't say you have to avoid it, but that it might cause a problem. That's good enough for me. I drink 2 very large mugs in the morning, a couple smaller (human sized) during the day, and another large mug at night. I've never had a problem, and I'm losing weight. I don't use any sugar, so I'm sure that is one of the reasons you might want to avoid it.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 05:22

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%
Default I have the same ? as BigC

Are you all counting the carbs? By the time I have a small pot of coffee and cream it's easily over 5 carbs.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 18:22
Registered Member

Plan: Dr R Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 291/282/200
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default mmmmm.... Coffeeeeeeee

Well I am Type 2 Diabetic. I have tested the response to coffee on my blood sugar level and it is zilch, zero, nada.... This means zero insulin reaction. I am happily sipping my 2 cups each morning.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 09:56
Registered Member

Stats: 210/193/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

For the first month I was on Atkins I drank nothing except green tea and water, and I think it helped. Now I drink decaf coffee and even regular coffee and tea occasionally.

I haven't really noticed anything one way or the other, but I do thinking cutting caffeine is a good idea, especially on Induction.

I do highly recommend green tea, though.

My .02

JeffE
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 11:08

Plan: Atkins (OWL)
Stats: 183/153/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Cut Down

Hi Kristine,

I cut down on the amount of coffee I drink. I went from drinking it all morning to 2 cups only. After coffee I drink green tea. It is definitely not as tasty as coffee, but zero carbs. I lost 14 lbs on induction.

Chickadee
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 22:15
Registered Member

Plan: Anything that works
Stats: 184/150/117
BF:45%/40%/15%
Progress: 51%
Default Caffeine

When I started Atkins I did not give caffeine up. I did cut down to two cups per day with full cream and splenda...and my weight loss seemed fine. I switched to decaf half the way through the first week and the weight loss slowed down...LOL! Is this weird or what? I think I am back on the real stuff asap!
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 21:56

Stats: 287/278/140
BF:45%/43%/22
Progress: 6%
Thumbs up

I drink coffee almost everyday but mostly in the winter and it does not do anything to my induction. I still lose a lot of weight with drinking it. Some days I have 1-2 cups, other days more. But it does not hamper my weight lose.......oh I was on the LC before so this is why I said it does not make a difference to me....now back on after 2 years of being off and a lot of weight back on............