Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 08:32

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 157/147.5/138 Female 5 ft 6 1/2 in
BF:?/26%/24%
Progress: 50%
Default Hang tough!

I share your frustration about following the plan closely and not losing -- I haven't lost anything since the end of July. However, I'm convinced that this LC WOL is the best!

Try to focus on the positives:

- not being hungry all the time
- feeling better because of the exercise
- at least not gaining weight

I find that occasional "planned cheats" (one day every 2 or 3 weeks) keep me going. For my first one, I ate the way I used to before starting to LC - chocolates, pasta with cream sauce, ice cream, potato chips - I'm sure that you get the picture. The next morning, the first thing I did when I got up was have an extra long, fairly intense workout (about 1hr 40 min ... biking, treadmill, etc)

On the plus side, all those carbs made my workout the next day a breeze

On the down side, I felt terrible (bloated, sluggish, etc) - I had the dreaded "carb hangover".

I track what I eat in fitday, and yes, I had about 177 carbs that day. But my total calorie intake was only about 2600 - not enough to do any long term damage. In fact, when I weighed myself at the end of the week I had finally lost a pound! Unfortunately, it returned the following week so my net loss is still zero! But my clothes do fit better.

Others have recommended planned cheat days - but it's important that you plan them well in advance (I have been planning my next one for 2 weeks), and that you get right back to LCing the next day. It helps me to resist temptation if know that I can have a "forbidden" food in a few days.

I plan to LC from now on, but I'm not planning to deny myself the treats that I like forever. I would rather eat in a way that I can sustain than to treat this as a diet that will end (ie this time, I'm not going to promise myself certain foods "after I get to goal" - that way lies disaster!)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 08:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/230/135
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Are you on medication?

From what I have read on the Atkins website, almost any medication can slow down weight loss. I have a friend at work who was taking an anti-depressant for anxiety. Once she stopped taking it, she lost 6 pounds in one week!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 18:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Persevere

I agree with the observation that you might consider increasing your fat.

Please take no offense at this suggestion: find a doctor who is supportive of LC. You can do this by asking the doctor's office before you make an appointment. consider seeing an endocrinologist for serious testing of your metabolism. I have read, somewhere on these LC forums I think, that some people have the occasional rare thing that is blocking their efforts. The solutions are usually quite simple. I'm not a doc so I don't know what tests to suggest but if you find a LC supportive doc and/or endocrinologist you could identify what is happening to you.

also, post what you eat in the journals. I just started my journal but I have learned so much reading all the great advice in others' journals.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 11:53
Registered Member

Stats: 183/182/140 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 2%

I'm somewhat relieved to hear that others seem to be losing weight as slowly as I am! I began Atkins the first of August and have lost only 6 pounds, although I have lost a couple of inches in my waist and an inch or so from my hips. Not enough to make any great difference in how my clothes fit, though. However, I'm glad to see any weight loss-everything I've done until now seems to have made me gain! I keep track on my eating on FitDay and exercise 3 days a week, so I think I'm in line with the Atkins plan.
The other good news is that I have reduced my triglycerides to a nearly normal level, which I'm glad to see but my total cholesterol and LDLs have gone up slightly. Since I am also on a statin drug, this has kept the levels from going too high, but I am concerned with all the saturated fat I'm eating!
I keep waiting for the elusive "whoosh fairy" to visit, but as yet she hasn't found me! I guess the only thing for us slow losers to do is just keep on keepin' on!
Brenta
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 12:38

Stats: 275/275/190
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thx for the support!!

The feedback on this board is great - You all DO HELP so keep it up...for all of us out here struggling!! I'm learning several things...I think! Other than the LC diet, I don't take any medication other that an occasional Tylenol. Here's what I'm reading - Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding or misinterpreting!

Kstik don't tell the whole metabolism story - I have been in K (as evidenced by Stix) for over 3 weeks. This indicates I have have very few carbs in my system and have been burning fat as fuel but since not losing lbs or in, it's likely DIETARY fat NOT necessarily BODY fat - Is this correct?

I am starting to use FitDay as a journal - Hidden carbs are everywhere and my informal journal is not picking up many of the hidden carbs that may be affecting my ability to burn BODY fat. Strict induction must be <20g/day of carbs for at least 2 weeks and 25-50g/day may be enough to indicate K on Stix NOT enough to initiate burning of BODY fat - Is this correct?

Lean protein is NOT always best - Eat more GOOD fats! This whole WOE is bizarre compared to the last 20 years of nutrition advice but this one is really tough to get used to!! I've been eating very lean beef, pork etc and skinless cuts of chicken and fish out of habit - Almost always broiled or occasionally sauteed in butter. I may not be eating enough fat - Is this correct?

It sounds like I need to start fresh and really shoot for the STRICT <20g/day carbs for the next 2 weeks and see what kind of changes occur - If that doesn't change my results, I need to look into alternate plan or find out why my metabolism isn't responding to this one! Am I getting it? Don't give up on me yet - I think I may be figuring this out! Thx again, enb
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 13:05
Registered Member

Stats: 192.5/174/155
BF:
Progress: 49%

Carol sofla,

how long did you cut the wine out for?

I had the same problem and I found out that it takes me 2-3 days to get into ketosis and then another 2-3 days before I notice any weight off. I need to be in ketosis for a few days before my body really kicks in.

At first I found I was bouncing in and out of ketosis so I never gave my body a chance to lose. I love my home made wine but have put it on the back burner for now so I can get skinny!

If you're having wine every day, you will slip right back into ketosis the next day but it will stall you. That means you're stalling every day...

It may not be the wine but I was convinced it wasn't with me either but in the end....it was.

Good luck...
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 09:40

Stats: 142/133.5/125
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Good to know I'm not alone

Hi, I'm having the same sort of problem. Lost 8.5 pounds in the first 2 weeks, and now I'm starting week 7 with no additional loss. Yes, my clothes fit a bit better, but not as much as I'd hoped. Except for a little wine, I've been very strict (my journal is posted for about the last week). I walk to work most days, so get in a good 50 minute walk 5 times a week.

I don't eat any red meat, and am getting kind of sick of eggs, so am really hoping that I don't need to give up the cheese. Maybe I just need to give this more time. I really am enjoing this WOE, and plan to stick with it for life (allowing myself the *occassional* cheats, of course). But I'm getting kind of frustrated. Of course, this could be because I'm the usual TOM-time emotional wreck .

It really does help to see that there are others who are also having problems in the beginning. This website is the most wonderful thing. I can't thank all of you enough for your support, encouragement, and information. IF only you could conjure up the whoosh fairy for me!

thanks,
kiwi
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 08:55

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 205/170/165
BF:
Progress: 88%
Thumbs up Carbs add up

When I read what you say, I see Carbs. Nuts, LC burgers etc.
Eat regular cuts of meat low fat is not what your looking for. For 2 weeks Have (0) Carbs. e.g
Breakfast: 3 eggs, 5 bacon or 3 sausage or more.
Lunch: 2 Hamburgers/Steaks Cheese
Dinner: Meat/Fish LOTS
You can use any (0) carb salad dressing such as Blue Cheese, ranch but READ THE Labels. Cut back on your Coffee and tea.
The ONLY reason you havn't lost is your carb intake is to high. I found that if I "cheated" on 1 meal it took me 3 days to start loosing again. I drink 96 OZ of H2O/day and most of it is LaCroiux carbonated water (No sodium). My original goal was 170 and I just changed it to 165. DON'T buy new clothes when the weight falls off. Punch holes in your belt and tuck in your pants. It will be a testimonial that it works. It's Easy to say I had a few nuts, but the reality is, I CAN't eat a FEW, I'd Eat a couple of handfuls. So for a snack I eat Fried pork rinds (0) Carbs. After you've dropped about 20-30 start walking then you'll begin to turn into the "lean mean fighting machine" There will be plataues as you loose. don't be discouraged it took a lifetime of eating the wrong foods to put it on and it will take a while to take it off. Remeber YOU are doing this for YOU and your health.
Santa
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 06:19

Plan: Protein Power, Atkins
Stats: 176/167/151
BF:19
Progress: 36%
Default not losing ?

Besanko/Carol, others: guys, hate to be a drag but you are eating way, way too much. This diet works because the body takes its energy needs from stored fat in the absence of carbs. But really, if you load up the body with masses and masses of greasy food, even low carbs, there is little to no chance that your body will look to its fat stores for energy. You dont need to go into calorie deficit, just listen to your body and your appetite: forget the bacon and cheese burgers, cream and pork chops: noone on Earth ever got slim eating all of that, totally impossible.
Someone on this forum also claimed that if Ketostix are purple then you are losing bodyfat fat: not true - Ketones will appear in the blood stream from dietary fat as well as bodyfat.

Here's a low carb diet which works, add a little regular exercise for even better results:
B: egg whites omelette, half rasher crisp grilled bacon. black tea
Snack: half tub cottage cheese, diet coke
L: grilled chicken, green salad, a liitle vinegar/oil dressing, strawberries. tea
D: tuna, asparagus, tomato: non sugar jello, tea.
General approach: lean meats, small quantities, green salads, a few nuts, sunflowers, lots of water. Dont eat too much, just enough to satisfy hunger.

Just common sense, really ....
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 06:26
Registered Member

BF:

Peter...sorry to disagree but I found I had to eat more in order to lose. I now eat around 2500 calories a day. And make sure my fat is around 75% of that. Remember fat IS your friend on this. I'm still losing and I'm never overly full.

I read a big write up on how the body burns fat/dietary fat and from what I understood the ketosis will take care of the stored fat and the dietary fat gets wasted...whereby the body gets rid of it thru the skin, breath, urine. Now this is just what I read.

There are also a lot of other women on here who are losing weight steadily and are eating in the 3000 plus calories area.

Different things may work for different people. For me, I have to eat more. More calories than I normally eat pre-Atkins.

I don't think there's right and wrong. I just think everyone needs to tweak to see what works for them.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 07:51

BF:
Question Confused?? You bet!

In this same thread I'm hearing two dramatically different LC plans/suggestions:

1) Lean/low fat, low calorie, <20 g carbs/day = "Common sense"?

2) Max fat/calories (2500+ cals & 65-75% fat of total cals/day), <20 g carbs/day = "Fat is your friend"?

After 4 weeks on <20-30 g/day carbs and <2000 cals/day, 2+ gals of water and 1.5 hrs exercise 3x/week, I lost no lbs and no inches - KStix indicated moderate K for 3+ weeks steady!

After advice from this group, I started FitDay journal, raised my fat% to 65-75% of 2500-3000 daily cals with same exercise plan and water intake - This is 5th day and Kstix are still at mod level...still no loss!

The leaner, lower fat %/cal LC version (when I started) was more natural and I felt much better on a daily basis - Unfortunately no loss at all. The higher fat/cals I'm now on is causing some gut discomfort as I'm not used to this much fat...and still no loss yet!

As I said in my first post, I hope I not being impatient - I read all the dramatic results and testimonials here but I'm not sure why I'm not starting to see the benefits myself - With the latest contradictions regarding fat/cal count in this thread, I am really getting confused!!

By way of comparison...at 1500-2000 cals/day on a low-FAT diet, with the amount of regular exercise and hi-H2O intake at the current level, I would have likely lost approx 5-10 lbs in the past 5 weeks!! Been there/done that! Maybe this isn't the plan for me - Any advice?

Final comment - This is a very expensive WOE! To get high quality & hi-fat, low carb meals requires hi-$ at the meat/fish stores! Yeah, I shop at Sam's Club to keep the price down but this is still not cheap compared to low fat/hi fruit & veg diets - I don't mind the $ if the results are there!!!

Confused in OH - enb
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 08:32
Registered Member

BF:

It is expensive! I'm broke from buying groceries so often.

Did you start a journal...? I'm gonna go have a peak if so to see what your daily food is like. I'm surprised you haven't noticed a change in inches. The exercise alone should contribute to that.

Sorry to hear your frustrated. I've been there for sure.

I'm just hanging in there and trying to be determined to lose it and waiting on the whoosh fairy.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 13:55
Registered Member

Stats: 155/155/150
BF:
Progress:
Default hi

Good fats are good on this plan and yes, you should eat until you are satisfied but not stuffed. If you are eating things with hidden carbs then this may be why you are stalled. Try sticking to food that is not processed so you know exactly whats in it. Maybe you are eating too many calories but thats for you to decide, not anyone else.
I dont find this way of eating expensive because the food that are the main staples cannot be marketed for something they arent as a processed food. eggs here are cheap, ground beef is relatively cheap.... cheese, etc are all cheaper than cookies , ice cream , cokes etc in my opinion. Especially since you arent eating things that dont satisfy you.

As far as being in ketosis, maybe since you are consuming a lot of hi fat foods the keto stix are showing the fat from the food and its possible you arent into ketosis at all. So, you cant count on those unless, I presume you havent eaten in a few hrs would be my guess.

good luck.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 15:09

BF:
Question ???

No disrespect intended here...but with all the widely varying suggestions I'm reading here, this is starting to sound like risky pseudo-science rather than a healthy, medically-sound, scientifically-based diet for life plan!

Can anyone really set the record straight on how many (too much, too little) calories are right, how much (too much, too little)fat is appropriate, how many grams of carbs/day it take to hit ketosis and how ketosis helps burn body fat, not dietary fat???

Just the facts please - enb
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 15:47
Registered Member

Plan: GO, formerly CAD, formerly Atkins
Stats: 160/155/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default what works

Sorry to say, Peter, but the diet you set out is exactly why most of us are trying LC. I've been on low-fat diets where I religiously logged my food everyday and recorded between 900 and 1100 calories. Didn't lose even 1/2 pound. When I was younger, I could drop the weight easily, but now???

Atkins truly works better if you eat more. Also, more fats, not less.