Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-30-01, 08:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default to beckyw54 - Atkins, and fruits

hi Becky, sorry I missed your earlier post ... I've moved it to its own topic thread, so it wouldn't get "lost" again..
Quote:
Originally posted by beckyw54
New to this board......I am trying to get back into the low carb mode........however, I have been doing weight watchers for a while and it is so different.

I think I need fruits/veggies, but it seems fruit has so many carbs......

Can anyone tell me if you do or do not eat fruits and if it is better to eat them at a certain time of the day?

I lost alot of weight on the OLD ATKINS diet in the late 70s, but am not that familiar with any of the new low carb diets.

thanks

Becky
Bonnie has given some good suggestions...
Quote:
In reply to your question about fruits and veggies, I can only answer for myself...many folks are following many different LC plans here and therefore I'm sure would have differing opinions...Myself am following the Protein Power Plan and therefore indulge in fruits that are low in carbs like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries etc. in moderation...in the veggie department, brocolli , cauliflower, turnip and green beans are a few I could suggest but the best thing to do is arm yourself with information in the way of a few LC books and check out the great informative info right here on this website... tips section for one comes to mind... member recipe section has some great recipes along with Karen's recipe section....spend a few moments perusing the site... lots of info for beginners... Good luck and hope this has helped...

Bonnie
Atkins New Diet Revolution has changed quite a bit from the original plan back in the 70s (I did that one too) ... depending on your own individual body and metabolism, once you're past the first 2 weeks of Induction, you can increase your carbs to a level that will still keep you in ketosis and burning fat. So, a serving of lowcarb fruit might be enjoyed every day even.

I've copied here a listing of some fruits and carb + fiber counts, which I had posted previously.
Quote:
For this list, I used Corrine Netzer's "the Complete Book of Food Counts". You would do well to purchase your own copy of a good food counts book such as this. Not everything comes with a label and the carb counts printed on them! Atkins and Protein Power both have published handy pocket carb counter books, they don't list as many foods though. If you can't get a book right away, then print out this list, so you'll have it.
========================================

apple, 1 small, 19 carbs, 3.4 gm fiber
apricot, canned no sugar, 1/2 cup, 13 carbs, 1 gm fiber
avocado, pureed, 1/2 cup, 8 carbs, 3.1 gm fiber
banana, medium, 27.6 carbs, 2.7 fiber
blackberries, 1/2 cup, 9.2 carbs, 3.6 fiber
blueberries, 1/2 cup, 10.2 carbs, 2.0 fiber
cantaloupe, 1/2 cup chunks, 6.7 carbs, 0.6 fiber
fruit cocktail, canned no sugar, 1/2 cup, 15 carbs, 1 fiber
grapefruit, 1/2 medium, 9.2 carb, 1.4 fiber
grapes, 1/2 cup, 14.2 carb, 0.5 fiber
guava, 1 medium, 10.7 carbs, 4.9 fiber
honeydew melon, 1/2 cup chunks, 7.8 carb, 0.5 fiber
kiwi fruit, medium, 11.3 carb, 2.6 fiber
mango, fresh, 1/2 cup, 14 carb, 1.5 fiber
nectarine, medium, 16 carb, 2.2 fiber
orange, medium, 14.4 carb, 2.9 fiber
papaya, 1/2 cup, 6.9 carb, 1.3 fiber
passion fruit, 1 medium, 4.2 carb, 1.9 fiber
peach, fresh, 9.7 carb, 1.7 fiber
peach, canned no sugar, 1/2 cup, 13 carb, 1 fiber
pear, medium, 25.1 carb, 4.0 fiber
pineapple, canned no sugar, 1/2 cup, 17 carb, 1 fiber
plum, medium, 8.6 carb, 1 fiber
raspberries, 1/2 cup, 7.1 carb, 4.2 fiber
strawberries, 1/2 cup, 5.2 carb, 1.7 fiber
tangerine, medium, 9.4 carb, 1.9 fiber
watermelon, 1/2 cup chunks, 5.7 carb, 0.4 fiber
=======================================

Just a caution, some of the counts look nice and low, just pay attention to the portion size. A half-cup is 125 ml. Not 1/2 a melon.
Keep us posted on your progress ..

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-30-01, 10:37

Plan: Atkins, several years ago
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

thanks for your replies. I can see I have been eating way too many carbs in fruits.........

I am trying to get into the groove........just finding it harder this time.

Becky