Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 14:27
Registered Member

Plan: Life Without Bread
Stats: 176/172/172
BF:12%
Progress: 100%
Default Studies Show Ketosis Beneficial

This has just been brought to my notice. Its URL is:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...01789585&EDATE=

New Studies Confirm Calorie Reduction Not Only Reason Atkins Nutritional Approach(TM) Works: Other metabolic aspects of controlled carbohydrate nutrition impact on fat loss, and reduction of heart disease risk factors

NEW YORK, Aug. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Two recently published studies show that ketosis, the controversial metabolic process at the heart of the Atkins Nutritional Approach(TM), may not only be harmless but may also be beneficial.

One study demonstrated that subjects in ketosis, due to a controlled carbohydrate diet, experienced statistically significant improvement in blood markers that have been shown to predict coronary artery disease.

The second study found that people lost fat (an average of seven lbs.), while actually gaining muscle (an average of two lbs.) in only six weeks. In essence these individuals lost an average of five lbs. not only preserving their muscle mass, but also increasing it.

"The commonly held belief that reducing calories is the only reason controlled carbohydrate nutrition produces fat loss appears to be false," explains the principal investigator, Jeff Volek, Ph.D., R.D., FACN. "In fact, the metabolic process, ketosis, that results from a properly conducted controlled carbohydrate weight loss program, may prove to be as much a factor in fat loss and reduction of cardiovascular disease risk factors as calorie reduction. And one of the studies even demonstrated a simultaneous increase in lean muscle mass along with the loss in fat."

Both published studies come out of the University of Connecticut's Human Performance Laboratory and were conducted on normal-weight men with normal cholesterol levels.

The first study, "A Ketogenic Diet Favorably Affects Serum Biomarkers for Cardiovascular Disease in Normal-Weight Men," published in the July 2002 issue of the Journal of Nutrition, shows that ketosis is not only harmless but may actually improve the blood markers that have been shown to predict coronary artery disease.

The six-week study examined the effects of a ketogenic diet on the insulin levels, LDL (bad cholesterol), LDL particle size (smaller particles are more atherogenic or damaging to the arteries), HDL (good cholesterol), triglycerides (TG), and post-meal TG (TG -- the value of elevated post-meal TAG as a predictor of cardiovascular disease has been demonstrated in numerous studies) of 20 normal-weight, healthy men.

The results showed that fasting TG was decreased by 33%, post-meal lipids by 29%, LDL particle size increased, and fasting insulin concentrations by 34% after the low carb diet. LDL and total cholesterol were unchanged by the diet, HDL (the good cholesterol) tended to be slightly increased, suggesting a favorable outcome in this predictor of improved cardiovascular risk.

The second study, "Body Composition and Hormonal Responses to a Carbohydrate Restricted Diet," published in the July 2002 issue of Metabolism, examined how the normal-weight body responds to six weeks of a controlled carbohydrate diet (8% carbohydrate, 61% fat, 30% protein) compared with a traditional diet (47% carbohydrate, 32% fat, 17% protein) that involved equal caloric intake. At week six, this study, with 12 subjects, found that people lost fat (an average of seven lbs.), while actually gaining muscle (an average of two lbs.). The average weight loss of five lbs. was achieved while not only preserving muscle mass, but also increasing it. Because this positive change occurred in conjunction with lowered insulin levels (a hormone measured in the blood that is stimulated by carbohydrate intake and has been associated with the conversion of excess carbohydrate to body fat), it is postulated that the reduction in the hormone insulin was responsible for this.

The studies were supported by a grant from the Dr. Robert C. Atkins Foundation. Established in 1999, the Foundation is a private, non-profit foundation dedicated to improving the way medicine is practiced in the United States by scientifically validating the safety and efficacy of complementary and alternative medicine approaches.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 15:37

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Personally, I don't think ketosis is the key. I am on TSP and am not in ketosis. However, I have had all the benefits they mentioned in the article -- weight loss, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, etc.

I think the key is lower carbs and no refined carbs at all. I eat meat and lots and lots of veges with some dairy thrown in for good measure and the very occassional complex carbs such as fermented black beans (black bean sauce, yum!).

The problem is that they are only testing Atkins. They are not testing more moderate programs like TSP. Even the Eades are now saying that they don't think that ketosis is necessary. Not that it's a bad thing either.

But for people who are not concerned about really fast weight loss and who don't want to skimp on the green stuff, a higher-carb program like TSP is ideal.

;-Deb
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 15:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Deb,

You might like to read this post:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...3689#post383689

I t basically summarizes the issue of ketosis, and how even if you don't follow a ketogenic plan, you might still be in ketosis, even when following TSP

Thanks for link DrByrnes

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 17:55

BF:

Thanks for the information, Tamarian. I have a question. I am asking this because I want to be clear for myself. On that site that you had a link to in your post, ketosis is defined as:

Quote:
(ke-to´sis) accumulation in the blood and tissues of large quantities of the "ketone bodies"
The bolding was my emphasis. This seems to say to me that you have to have a certain level of ketones in your blood for it to be called ketosis.

And I understand that ketones are generated whenever fat is metabolized. Aside: Aren't ketones also generated from diatary fat? And I do know that I am generating ketones or I wouldn't be stronger as I lose weight .

My question is, however, how do you determine the level at which it is called ketosis or are you suggesting that any level of ketones is ketosis?

My reason for stating what I did in my post was that on TSP we do not generate as many ketones as those who are on Atkins or other programs that limit carbs more than TSP, and we thus lose weight more slowly in general. Also, Dr. S. counsels against ketosis and says that it is unecessary to weight loss and health.

I think ketosis is great, especially as proof that your body is doing what you want it to do to remove fat from your body. But I am also very happy with my progress and the program I am following. And I really like the variety of food I am allowed to eat. I have perused Atkins followers' menus and it just wouldn't work for me .

In my post I was just commenting on the fact that they are testing only the extremes. I would like to see them test programs that are not so extreme. It might help the whole picture. It would be interesting to see a low-carb maintenance plan tested too. I fully intend to low-carb for the rest of my life.

;-Deb
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 15:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%

DebPenny--

This may not be the place for this post, but I wanted to make sure you see it. I have been on TSP for two weeks, having done Atkins for three weeks, with two weeks of uncertainty in between. I lost two pounds my first week of TSP, and I was very pleased. But last week I gained a pound. I suspect that perhaps I became to liberal with carbs. Using TSP's guide of 30 grams of carbs in a balanced meal, I added fruit to my meals and sometimes a 6 gram brown ricecake. Maybe 30 grams is too much for my activity level. I power walk 45 minutes on a treadmill six days a week (burning 500 calories) and do some strength exercises with weights each morning. But maybe that is not enough to handled that level of carbs. So I'm cutting back.

Have you had weeks where weight loss stalled or even went slightly in reverse? Needless to say, I was disappointed to see the one-pound gain.

Thanks.

Sheldon
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 16:37

DebPenny--

I'm still new to the forum and only just found your journal, where you have already answered my questions. I've reading it and it is helpful.

Thanks.

Sheldon
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 21:10
Wombat Ashramite

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hey Sheldon,

It's highly possible that your one lb weight gain is not fat but MUSCLE!!!Hooray!

I've been low carbing since February (this time around) and I have been keeping track of my weight every Sunday. I've either maintained or gained a pound or two about a third of the Sundays. I've lost weight the rest of the time. I've lost 47lbs total and I've had lots of little gains that reversed themselves. I've had to accept that this is all part of the process, but I have to admit I still freak out when I see the numbers on the scale go up. I think it's because this way of eating is so easy and so satisfying and so unlike the depravation filled diets I've tried in the past, that I keep thinking that one day the magic will stop working.

Digwig
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 22:01
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Deb....could you tell me about TSP.. the name of a book or something I can read. I want to lose weight fast for a few months...then I will be happy with a few pounds a month. . . . after I reach the 200 pound mark. I am doing my own plan, but I eat a large leafy salad every day..with some green beans, tomatoes and cheese and chopped up boiled eggs.
Cheryl

Also...Sheldon.
I was wondering if you could try something I did. I went and bought a pair of pants that are way to tight...and I will be trying them on every week, I was told as I built more muscle I would possibly gain...and I don't want that to be a deturent. So I will try the pants on and see if they are looser...that way I won't be as discouraged with a gain.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 05:34

Cheryl R (that's my wife's name)--

The book is The Schwarzbein Principle. It is surely worth reading. Very clearly and intelligently written. You make a good point. The 34-waist pants that used to be tight are no longer so. The slight weight gain did not make a difference.

And I lost at least a pound last week!

Digwig--

Thanks for the suggestion. I do exercise a lot. You may be right.

Sheldon
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 20:25

BF:
Default I'm Back!

Hi, Sheldon and Cheryl. I've been away on vacation for a few weeks and only just now read your posts.

Sheldon:

I don't add many "real" carbs to my diet as allowed by TSP because I eat so many non-starchies. In her book, Dr. S. says that if we eat a lot of non-starchies, we don't have to add the real (starchy) carbs. I have also mostly stopped counting. I have a very low carb breakfast, a big salad with my own Ranch-style dressing and two roasted chicken thighs (typically) for lunch, and dinner is a healthy (hefty) portion of meat (chicken, fish, beef or pork) and some vegetables -- usually cooked in a sauce with wine, garlic, onions, and spices, which vary. I don't usually snack, but during the work-week I quite often have two lunches, it's a long day. Tonight I'm having line-caught salmon and homemade pesto for dinner. I haven't decided what vege I want yet.

I tallied it up a while back and I am eating between 2000 and 3000 calories a day. My carb counts are around 60 to 75 grams a day (including non-starchies), protein about 180 grams, and fat about 180 grams. It's working for me.

Cheryl:

Please do read the book. It's full of a lot of inspiring information and the plan is easy to follow. However, keep in mind that there is a lot of room for interpretation. In fact, my dad said to me while we were vacationing that he does not think she presented a program. Dad thinks it's more of a guiding principle (hence "The Schwarzbein Principle") than a hard and fast program.

And last:

Muscle is not the only thing that will make your scales go up and down, water is a big culprit. Since I stopped taking my BC pills, my water weight fluctuations have doubled. It can be ver disconcerting. Of course, men don't suffer quite as much from that type of fluctuation as women.

I was in a 2-month stall when I left on my vacation. I broke it while I was away ( ), but it can be very disconcerting. And my measurements were also stalled. Although, I noticed, and was frustrated by, the fact that my measurements seemed to fluctuate as much as my weight on the scale. I lost pounds and size on my vacation.

I think the most important thing we have to realize is that the changes we are looking for don't happen fast or in a reasonable sequence. Sometimes the effects don't show up for a few weeks or even months. And fluctuations, up and down, in all our indicators occurr.

Hope this helps,
;-Deb
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 06:26

DebPenny--

Thanks for your wise words, for they are indeed helpful and encouraging. I'm not concerned about the scale, though I like to see that number shrinking, more as a matter of principle now than of health. I'm looking to drop two more pounds JUST because I want to be under 160. I like that phrase, "under 160."

My wife (the other Cheryl R) is doing TSP now, but she hasn't yet gotten over her fear of fat. She didn't lose last week, but I reassured her that it doesn't mean TSP doesn't work. She accepts that intellectually. It will take time for her emotions to conform to her judgment, but it will happen.

Thanks again.

Sheldon
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 21:21
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Sheldon.... I wonder if we have the same last names... I'm sure there are a million R last names. Mine is kind of common... it's a brand name for alluminum foil...or saran wrap.

No one ever told me the name of this TSP book... is that the name?