Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 12:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post I tried it...

...and I liked it!

I've read so many posts about Flax-O-Meal that I finally decided to give it a try. I've never been much interested in hot cereals (but Lordy mercy I can put away the cold cereal...just not anymore). But I digress...

I ordered the Chocolate flavor (wanting to get a taste of it before it is no longer available) and the Cinnamon & Spice. Tried the chocolate over the weekend, sweetened it with a packet of Splenda and added some butter and cream. YUM! I was pleasantly surprised with the taste and texture.

The service I received from netrician.com was excellent too, and super-speedy.

Flax-O-Meal is now part of my LC breakfast/snacking rotation.

Thanks!

Donald
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 22:05
Registered Member

Plan: Mainly the Metabolic Diet
Stats: 330/219/170
BF:
Progress: 69%

Donald,
Thank-you so much for trying my cereal and posting about it. As hard as I try I can't seem to keep talking about it, even though I can't STAND spammers.... <grin> I guess when you create something and then you find that the world actually likes it, it fuels that dream to keep creating and talk talk TALK about it all the time. (believe me, I am driving my family crazy!!! ha ha ha) Anyway, bless your heart for trying it, liking it, and posting about it. Whether it helps business or not, it warms my heart to know that across the country at least some people aren't dreading facing another EGG!!!! <grin>
Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 06:33
Registered Member

Plan: basically still on induction
Stats: 152/155/140
BF:
Progress: -25%
Default flax meal

Hey Island Girl, I am very interested in the 'mix' you come up with. I am pretty new at this site and have a hard time relocating threads sometimes. I don't want to miss this one. I have flax seeds and flax seed oil. It was reccomended that I grind my seeds in a coffee grinder and that worked for a while,,,,but now the grinder in gummed up with the oil and fiber from the seeds and I am trying to un-gum it! I will buy the ground flax seeds from now on. Please let me know about your mix that you come up with.
Can't tell you how much this site and all you people mean to me.
Thanks so very much! Today is Easter and I am teaching the 4-5 year olds at church today. So I need to get going. Hope to hear from you soon.
L Fesler
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 08:11

Plan: PP
Stats: 130/128/120
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default cinnamon Flaxomeal

Just had my first serving of the cinnamon flavor . . . added butter and half & half . . . . . YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

I think I can really stick to this diet now that I have cereal back!!!!
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Greetings, L Fesler!

That post was so long back, I don't remember the mix you're talking about but (for myself) I often don't do that much measuring anyway.

Lately I've been stirring up a batch that looks approximately like this (use the same spoon for all this stuff in the order given, except for the stevia, and stir in a tupperware container you can then keep in the fridge):
6 big spoons ground flaxseed
2 big spoons whey protein powder (flavoured or not, low carb)
1 big spoon psyllium husk
1 big spoon wheat bran
1/4 teaspoon or so (1 very small spoon) white stevia extract
optional: 2 big spoons pure unsweetened dark cocoa powder

At breakfast time, 2 or 3 big spoons of this in a bowl, stir in about a half/cup of water that's just been boiled. Don't stir TOO much, just til moistened. Throw on a pat of butter and/or some DaVinci Gourmet sugarfree syrup (Maple or Chocolate or French Vanilla or whatever).

Give that a try.

Here's some tips in the Kitchen/Breakfast Ideas forum, too, about hot flaxseed cereal for breakfast:
Flaxmeal for Breakfast
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 20:15

Plan: PP
Stats: 130/128/120
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default banana nut pancake mix

Tried the pancakes for the first time this morning, and I have to say they were GOOD! You have to cook them a little longer than regular pancakes, b/c the middle takes longer (I had to put the first ones back in the pan b/c thr center was still gooey).

I had two with butter on top, then two with whipped cream cheese - sooooo good!

I think I might try them as waffles nect time - they may cook more evenly on the waffle iron.
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 10:37
Registered Member

BF:

Yep, the trick is to cook them longer. On the waffles, make sure they are REALLY brown. Almost when you think they are near burnt and they will be so crispy and yummy!!!!
Julee
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 13:43

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%
Default Flax o meal?

Has anyone tried the Flax-O-Meal cereal or pancake mix? I orded some cinnamon and spice cereal and the banana walnut pancake mix, but would love some feedback from those who have tried it before it gets here...

-Shelly
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 14:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi Shelly,

I haven't tried Flax-o-meal myself, but I've moved your post to the Products forum where other savvy "in the know" folks can find it. There's a recent discussion right here about Flax-o-meal .. if you click on "Low-Carb Products" right above your post, it will take you to this forum's thread list. Scroll down a bit, you'll see it, "Flax-o-meal", started by alto.

Doreen
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 14:52

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

I loved it , well not the brand one just plain old ground flax seed. I found it very moorish infact, had to watch i didnt have it morning lunch and dinner
Id mix in a little raw bran so its not gluey in texture. I add my own cinnamon pinch of salt and whipped cream, like a real treat.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hi, ShelleyF34!

I'm Ms. Products around here, so I've taken Doreen's helpful punt into the Products forum and I've merged your post with a very long (6 pages so far) conversation about this very product you are interested in, the highly popular Flax-O-Meal.

Enjoy reading! I think you'll get the answers you seek.
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 11:21

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

As for price, I only paid $6.99 for Flax O Meal on the Netrition site (regular price $9.99). Not sure if that is a special price right now, but that is how much all of the flavors cost ($7.99 for the Flax O Meal pancake mix).

-Shelly
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 19:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/139/125
BF:32
Progress: 30%
Question

Why can't you have Flax-O-Meal during induction if it is only an ECC of 2? I am a bit leary of this whole ECC thing b/c I ate some Atkins Induldge and came out of ketosis so fast my test strips were spinning! Please let me know 'cause I'm confused (per usual).
Thanks!
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 20:18
Registered Member

BF:

Hi,
I've never heard of the cereal causing anyone problems on induction. I wouldn't eat a whole bunch of it, because it has so much fiber (takes some getting used to LOL) but a serving now and then should be just fine during induction. It contains no sugar alcohols or glycerine that could cause problems, and in fact, it's completely unsweetened. Hope this helps some....

Julee
  #90   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 09:19
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%
Default Plain old Flax seed.

I ground up some flax seeds in my coffee grinder and added hotwater and a tad of butter and splenda. I was amazed on how good it was. I also threw in a tablespoon of unground flax seeds...it added to the texture. I wish those 2 carbs per tablespoon didn't add up so fast because I could sure have a larger bowl of it!!

Have a great day...Cin