Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 17:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Eating Nuts Lessens Heart Risk, Study Says

Eating Nuts Lessens Heart Risk, Study Says
Sun Jun 23, 4:08 PM ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Eating a handful of nuts twice or more a week may cut one's risk of deadly heart disease, based on a study of male doctors released Sunday.

Nuts and fish are plentiful in the Mediterranean diet, which is known to be heart-friendly, and many types of nuts are also a healthy source of unsaturated fats, magnesium and vitamin E, according to the report by researchers at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

Dr. Christine Albert examined the nut consumption of more than 21,000 male doctors participating in the U.S. Physicians' Health Study, which began in 1982, and found a 47 percent lower risk of sudden cardiac death among those who consumed an ounce of nuts at least twice a week compared to those who did not eat nuts at all.

She also found a 30 percent lower risk of coronary heart disease death among the nut eaters. The correlation did not apply for nonfatal heart attacks.

"If the observed associations between dietary habits such as nut and fish consumption are causal, then these dietary interventions could be applied with little risk," Albert wrote.

There were 201 sudden cardiac deaths and 566 heart disease deaths among the study subjects over the 17 years they were tracked.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ealth_nuts_dc_1
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 17:14
Forum Founder

Default Re: Eating Nuts Lessens Heart Risk, Study Says

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
Dr. Christine Albert examined the nut consumption of more than 21,000 male doctors participating in the U.S.

Is Dr. Christine being naughty?

I like the results, but the wording is just too funny, and looks intentional!

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 08:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Talking She beat me to it...

I considered the multitude of humorous responses to this data...

...but I think I'll save it for another forum!

So glad I eat nuts though....

Donald
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 08:30
Forum Founder

LOL. I often misread when I read too fast, and end up being dyslexic, I actually read "consumption" as "composition". So it read to me like "Dr. Christine Albert examined the nut composition of more than 21,000 male doctors ".

So, sorry Dr. Christine, my bad.

Wa'il