Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-21, 19:53

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
The part that bothers me is that this must be lucrative enough for them to keep pushing the same scam...

There's a sucker born every minute.

Since I run an Internet business, I get every kind of scam imaginable.

I get e-mails telling me they are from my IT department telling me I need to change my password [click here] Right.

Or the accounting department needing my info because the files have been damaged [click here]

Or they have a low interest loan for me [like I'd click any of these]

And from banks I don't even do business with

Or I've won a lottery I never entered.

Or I have an invoice in my biz that I need to paid. It's overdue - pay now [click here]

Or "Just following up on that call last week where we discussed ___ ___ ___." (Fill in the blanks)

I never-ever check a link in e-mail unless I'm absolutely, positively, certain it's legit. Even then, I often check it out.

If the bad person can spam out a million of these scams, and get 1 or 2 percent, he/she can make a lot of money. And they can send out a million with a click of a mouse.

One percent of a million is 10,000 and if they get say $500 each, they have $5 million.

And there are a lot of unaware people out there, either from ignorance or stupidity (and there is a difference).

One day, while playing at a yacht club (I'm a musician) I heard one woman telling her friend that Microsoft called her to tell her she had a virus, and then nice person took control of my computer. The woman she was talking to told her about the error she just made. By then, her bank account was probably zero and her credit cards maxed out.

Example of ignorance, not stupid. She didn't know enough about computing and the dangers, and was too trusting, even thankful that Microsoft called her.

We got dozens of those calls, finally my DW said, We don't have Windows, we have a Mac. Guess what happened next, "We're from Apple and your Mac has a virus, call us and we'll help you remove it."

It's dangerous out there and we have to keep our guard up. People want your money and they will do anything to get it.

When they wear out the "We caught you doing something embarrassing" scam, and it isn't working anymore, they will try something new. And each new scam will be just a clever or even more so.

Stay safe. Never-ever click a link in an e-mail. If you think your bank e-mailed you, call their real number on the phone (not the phony phone number in the e-mail)

As Calianna noted; The IRS, Police Department, FBI, CDC, Medicare, is never going to e-mail you.

And if someone you know has your e-mail in their address book, and they get hacked, the hacker has your e-mail address, your name and can spoof the e-mail to look like it came from your friend.

Be careful.

Bob
Sponsored Links