Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-20, 18:12

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowjax
Wow, I'm usually the punny one in our house and I missed that one.

Hope things are going well Mr. Thud!

Good idea for a this thread. So many seem to bow out starting before halloween. I suspect too that it's natural to want to fatten up for winter, at least in the northern climes and perhaps the hours of daylight is a cue for this. I'm continuing an, "Eat before noon" practice for the 4th quarter till Jan 1 - So I'm here to root for you guys.

Simply sticking around thru the holidays might be enough to end "I'm back" syndrome. But for the grace of whatever gods there might be go I tho - not sure how it has happened to me that I'm around still here.

One meal at a time.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-20, 21:18
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I'll jump in here, too. Cool thread idea, Jeff. Your dinner sounds really good. I'll never understand trying to turn vegetable side dishes into a dessert. Ya want dessert, have dessert. Ya want veggies, make them buttery/savoury. I thought I hated sweet potatoes because the first time I tried them was a Thanksgiving marshmellow monstrosity. Mercifully, my brother's ex-GF taught me how to cook them well. Now, I love them enough that I'm trying to grow my own.

Happy Thanksgiving, 'mercan folks. My mom is from the US, and she usually did a turkey dinner for both Thanksgivings. Heh heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenda
I've planned a few sweets for DH for the Holidays, but he self-rations. People like me who can't-eat-just-one just don't understand how he does it.
I can relate! Both my dad and my DH are like this. I often make peanut butter cookies for DH (I don't care for them, so I don't find them tempting). A while back, he brought back half a cookie in his lunch bag. Who eats HALF a cookie?!!! My dad, similar - he'd often take two bites of a chocolate bar and put the rest in the fridge. PURE SORCERY, I TELL YOU.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-20, 06:16

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

HI. Love the title of the thread. I will join in and 'do a countdown' also. I love threads that keep my plan center stage.

So I would be 3 down/38 to go to get thru the holidays!

Luckily I have been on plan now for years and am very settled in my eating so I don't have family forcing food around me anymore, and whew, what a relief that is now....I finally trained them to do their thing and leave me to do mine LOL

Tday dinner was filet mignon and shrimp.
I am zero carb eater so my holiday is super simple to navigate with the food on my plate

Got thru Tday, now we got a few more holiday situations/events and the big day etc. and we would have sailed thru fine for the holiday season.....lets keep counting down!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-20, 10:36
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

There are reasons some of us became secret eaters, while the rest of the world did not. No need to go into it, as each story is different. We are separated into Moderators and Abstainers based on this history.

I'm of necessity, an Abstainer.

Starting today, I'm going to try (not for the first time) to become a Moderator. Yes, I will be a mindful eater. Don't laugh. I do my best.

Today I stopped eating before the salad bowl was empty. That's a start.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-20, 14:04
Think, then Eat.

Plan: LC / L-FODMAP / L-IgG
Stats: 276.4/237.2/199 Male 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hey everyone! Happy day after Thanksgiving. I was going to post last night and time got away from me.

So happy to see you joining us Whirrlly & Kristine!

Yesterday was a huge success compared to most years. I did eat too much cheese last night while watching a movie with the family, but at least it was food that was on plan.

3 Down
38 To Go

Today is Christmas decorating day. And I'm smoking a turkey for the first time. I have a herb and mayo rub on it and it is stuffed with herbs and butter. I hope it turns out well.

Thud - That's an interesting approach. Mind if I ask what made you decide to try that? Most people do IFing in the afternoons from what I have seen.

Karen - You can't go wrong with Fillet and shrimp for dinner! Sounds wonderful. So happy to have your join us!

Kristine - Welcome! I know that your Thanksgiving is about a month in the rear view mirror, but happy to have you along for the ride. And I totally agree with you on the dessert/side dishes. Then again, that's why so many Americans are way overweight. We like our sugar for dessert and for sides.

Glenda - I think you hit the nail on the head. Many of us are abstainers out of necessity. Moving to be a moderator is probably key at some point. Nice job moving in that direction!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-20, 18:26
Think, then Eat.

BF:

How is everyone doing?

So far, so good for me.

The smoked turkey came out amazing!

Making some stock out of the carcass now. First time for that as well.

Still working on digitizing Christmas music, but other than that, probably going to just relax with the family tonight.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-20, 02:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi all.

Wow, look at that bird!! And all the delicious stock-to-be!

Glenda, I agree with you on the moderation thoughts. I can do well moderating some higher-carb foods as long as (a) I just don't care for it that much, and/or (b) there's natural portion control because I'm outside the house. I think learning which things are and aren't "moderatable" for you is good. They're all subjective and not necessarily dependent on the carb count. Example: I can handle a baked potato here and there, or maybe cubed up in a stew, but rice is generally a no-no. I'll finish the whole pot.

Karen, I'm lucky that my family are pretty good about that. My folks are great cooks and do a really nice spread, and no one bugs anyone else about what they do or don't eat. Why can't everyone be like that? Heh.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-20, 05:23

BF:

4/37

Holding plan well.

That is a wonderful turkey picture!

In the world of moderator or abstainer, I must be an abstainer. Not one doubt about that for me. I can not moderate. Alot of years fighting an eating plan taught me just that

Kristine, yea it would be wonderful if people would keep their noses out of other's eating all the time LOL You would think it would be a very simple manuever in life but for many it just isn't that way. yea, go figure!

---------in general tho, my one trouble I still fight a little is but I am gaining strength in this situation big time now longer I am on plan and finally getting a mindset of where I want to be-----the darn jealousy factor. Yea! LOL

I see the family oohhing and ahhing over fresh baked cookies, or if on vacation they get fancy ice cream or whatever local foods and more and I just get darn jealous point blank. Yes it is sad of me I know, but my stupid human emotions kick in but I have taught myself thru time that it is just an emotion of feeling left out over a common food connection ya know, but I don't need connections to be over food. Yes a work in progress to get that feeling of jealousy out of me sometimes. Luckily those feelings don't kick in as much now but they can be a crap factor for me sometimes
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-20, 09:33

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowjax
Thud - That's an interesting approach. Mind if I ask what made you decide to try that? Most people do IFing in the afternoons from what I have seen.

It has been reported that some monks eat from rising until noon only. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me - Also, I'm practicing this because I thought it would be hard and a good change from OMAD evenings, stuffing myself before going to bed.

Now I go to bed sort of hungry Every. Darn. Night.

it's not that bad really - probably most of the rest of the world does it too.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-20, 09:49
Doing My Best

Sweet/Creamy
Salty/Crunchy

Of the two basic cravings, my downfall is Sweet/Creamy. I've tried every AS in the Universe, but my preference is Cyclamate, Sucralose, Saccharine. I usually mix them up. For the creamy part, my OP choice is a mixture of sour cream and 5% greek yogurt. The yogurt is high in protein which is something I always need. If the mixture is thick enough, I can use the SF flavored syrup folded in.

Today, I ate only about 1/4 cup and put the rest in the fridge. That's me, striving for moderation.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-20, 09:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
It has been reported that some monks eat from rising until noon only. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me

going to bed hungry every night...it's not that bad really - probably most of the rest of the world does it too.

See I would never in my life 'go there' in that a 'religious eating schedule' should never equal a healthy eating plan. BUT THAT is truly my thoughts on it!

also I never go to bed hungry. that is few and far between and when it does go down like that 'either mental situation' or 'true hunger' at some point I realize my day of eating is 'off and whack' and out of alignment with me which is something I would fix the next day easily.

just some thoughts and things I feel for me being addressed to your post. We all got 'that walk' to find us in eating and with time on plans and we change we find ourselves in it I found me thank goodness but it took a heck of alot of time to do just that!
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-20, 10:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Sweet/Creamy
Salty/Crunchy

Of the two basic cravings, my downfall is Sweet/Creamy.
Today, I ate only about 1/4 cup and put the rest in the fridge. That's me, striving for moderation.

and this is truly what you must address in full truth.

cut it out. amputate it. as hard as it sounds why 'get a tiny bit' to drag you further IF YOU can address your true concerns as you written.

NOW NEVER saying what you are doing is 'wrong' in any way , just saying find real truths in what you are saying to yourself and know that there are ways around all that if you don't wanna go there ya go there and find those ways around 'just teasing' that addiction' and want out full on but again, super personal in our lives.

I did years of pretending and excusing and 'wanna keep' til that darn day I said......what is ME and how do I change me to make it work.

I think we all have that but it is a timeline we all will differ one for sure
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-20, 10:57
Doing My Best

Guess there is a misunderstanding here. This way of eating is my Way of Life, not a diet. Full-fat dairy is part of my maintenance plan. I eat to Therapeutic Ketosis, both as pain and weight control. I don't need to "cut it out. amputate it."

Salty/Crunchy
Sweet/Creamy

These are cravings every body has when deprived of either. I think part of successful Maintenance is using the foods On Plan to satisfy cravings.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-20, 11:37
Think, then Eat.

BF:

Happy Saturday all.

As of last night:
4 Down
37 To Go

Had a good day yesterday with food. The turkey turned out far better than I thought it would. Definitely going to do that again. I thought the picture turned out decent as well, but I probably need to take some photography classes. I'm just pretty much a point and shoot kind of guy.

We ended up staying up super late last night...er.. this morning. It was about 2:30 when I finally went to sleep. So, I slept in this morning.

Brunch today so far has been some pickles and Coffee w/H&H. Not sure how many meals I will be making today. I still have 3 ready to go with all ingredients purchased:

Beef with Broccoli
Garlic Pork Steak w/Bell Peppers
Italian Beef Ragout

We also have leftover turkey, need to figure out what to do with a ton of stock, and a few other smaller leftovers from earlier in the week.

I guess you could say that I'm well prepared for the day and have no excuses at all for straying off track.

Thud - Thanks for the info on eating before noon. I never knew that was how monks ate. Interesting. Not sure I'm going to be trying it anytime soon, but it would be a great practice in self discipline.

Kristine - My parents are good cooks and they also don't seem to care what you do or don't eat. My mom will push food on you, but doesn't care if you actually eat it. She has this mentality if she isn't offering food, then she isn't being a good host. But, both of them have done low carb in the past and both of them know the benefits of it. But, they choose not to eat that way now.

Karen - I agree that we all have to find "our way" or "our walk" as to what works for us. The hard part is when "our way" quits working and you need to find another way. It caused me to gain back almost 60 pounds until I figured things out. But, once you get into your groove and your way becomes clear, it is a wonderful thing.

Glenda - For myself, I am not ready for the sweet/creamy yet. Well, other than creamy as is HWC or H&H. If I add sugar to it, even artificial sweetener, it triggers bad cravings for me. I am just content for now to enjoy the journey and I'll figure out the sweet/creamy one when I get closer to goal. Abstaining for now, but moderating later. You've been at goal for a while (if I remember right) and you are doing great with your maintenance.

Time to get some more work done around the place and pop in a few journal entries. Stay strong and hang in there. Take it day by day. We can all do this!
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-20, 17:47

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Wow, that bird looks very yummy !!!

As for the Thanksgiving To Christmas hijack, my difficulty runs from Halloween due to kids that trick or treat to mid January family birthday.

In the past I could only stick to plan if I skipped the family holidays together. Only then could I stick to low carb.

Sooooo.....today was last problem day as we brought a roast beef dinner to celebrate Thanksgiving with aging MIL who purposely stays house bound to avoid covid. We set up chairs outside and ate off tv dinner tables, mt immediate family string together, 10 feet from MIL. A nice visit but again pies a problem.

So, conversation in car was around I need the house free of sugar and grains. Everyone agreed....but I'm thinking they are working an endgame around the stipulation that everyone participates in no sugar / no grains.

I'm struggling to live low carb......a can of cranberry sauce is alluring.....

Support is always welcome..... It's a day by day focus........