Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-20, 23:48

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

Oh - look at that, have to update my weight again

199, finally got under 200 pounds.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-20, 02:58
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

^Congrats on being in onederland.

I really like Dr Bikman, too. He has a great way of making the sciencey stuff understandable. I envy his students.

Debbie, I tend to be the same way with videos. I do like the lectures for while I'm doing something with my hands, but I won't watch cooking videos, for example. Just gimme the ingredients, the instructions, and I think I can figure it out. (Although I did watch one the other day from Maria Emmerich's son, because he's such a cutie pie. )

Since I'm still bored and unemployed, I started logging food again, and I was surprised that I was getting a lot less protein than I thought I was. I shouldn't be *that* surprised, because I've always underestimated meat servings, but one day was only 59 g.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-20, 12:15

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones
Oh - look at that, have to update my weight again

199, finally got under 200 pounds.
Wow, that's a wonderful milestone. Congratulations!
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-20, 12:19

BF:

I probably don't get enough protein either. I *aim* for 100g daily but rarely make it. 1-2g/kg of body weight would put me at 111-222g of protein! Yikes. 111g sounds relatively doable, only a little bit above my "goal" of 100g (though I almost never reach that goal, alas), but the idea of eating 222g sounds virtually impossible.

Though I had a day a few weeks ago where I did hit 212g of protein because I cooked up a pound of chicken liver and, because I adore chicken liver, ate the entire pound in one sitting. But I certainly can't imagine doing that on a regular basis.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-20, 18:48

BF:

Thanks! I'm 198 today

I got myself a pot roast yesterday. I used mygrocerydeals.com and looked at the meat sales - $3.99 for pot roast (that is good for our area - our food costs as much as Manhattan/New York).

I got some chipolte sauce and some sugar free BBQ sauce - sure helps get the protein in.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-20, 20:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones
Thanks! I'm 198 today
Woo hoo. That is so awesome.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-20, 00:21

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Congrats to Key Tones for settling into a space under 200! Thinking about protein, I do worry about what too much protein might do with kidneys. I think I’m usually pretty close to my 70gm goal. Yesterday evening we went out and we got the fisher goulash, the Fiaker is the carriage driver who is always there to drive people around Vienna, the flakes goulash has the impression of a meal for workers, like a pub lunch in London. It’s goulasch, with two sausages, a fried egg, and potatoes, in this case a kind of patty made of mashed potatoes, DH took the potatoes and some of the goulash and I had the rest...plenty o’protein!!!
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-20, 05:06

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It's a myth that higher protein levels damage the kidneys. The following is from a blog post titled "Vampire Myths" from Dr. Mike Eades' blog:

Quote:
If you want to read about protein and the kidney, click here for a full-text article from the journal Nutrition & Metabolism.

My favorite article showing the absurdity of this claim comes from research performed in Israel almost 20 years ago by Dr. Marion Blum. There have been numerous studies since showing the same thing, but I like this one because of its simplicity and elegance.

Dr. Blum and her group recruited a number of vegetarian subjects (I don’t remember how many right now because I don’t have the paper in front of me and it’s too old to pull down) of varying ages and sexes. These subjects had been vegetarians for over 13 years (so there were no recent coverts in the bunch) and had consumed low amounts of plant-based protein for a significant portion of their lives. Dr. Blum then found a group of meat-eating subjects who were the same ages and sexes as the vegetarians, but who consumed large amounts of mainly animal protein. Dr. Blum then tested the kidney function of both groups.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that as we age the function of our kidneys (and all our organs, for that matter) deteriorates. This deterioration can be measured and plotted on a graph showing decreased function as we get older.

Dr. Blum plotted the course of the age-related decline of kidney function in the vegetarians. She them plotted the same thing in the meat eaters and found that the two graphs were exactly the same. There was no difference in the age related kidney function of a long term vegetarian and a meat eater of the same age and sex.

https://proteinpower.com/vampire-myths/
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-20, 06:51

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Bawdy Wench, thanks for the Mike Eades quote on eating too much protein.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-20, 08:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

...and Dr Jason Fung, nephrologist, also says it's bunk. Clip from an interview with Dr Shawn Baker If lots of protein damaged kidneys, he'd probably be screaming it from the rooftops.

Similar from DietDoctor.com: Protein and kidney health (youtube) or the website.

You're doing your kidneys a MASSIVE favour by avoiding carbs, avoiding (or reversing) T2D, and not slamming them with glycosolated hemoglobin. What Dr Naiman, Dr Eades, and basically all other LC doctors and plans recommend isn't excess protein, it's sufficient protein.

I have a hard time even getting that much!
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-20, 13:47

BF:

Thank you!

And thanks for the quotes and links - all great!
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-20, 15:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Bawdy Wench, thanks for the Mike Eades quote on eating too much protein.
when I increase my protein much, though, it also makes my BG go up. I few years go I was trying one of the diet hacks popular for a while, The Optimal Diet as I recall. It was a pretty LOW protein diet. The aim was for about 50g a day as I recall. Eating at that level my BG dropped way down. I was averaging in the 75-85 range. But once I gave up on the Optimal Diet and increased protein to 90-100g or about my BG also went way up to the 120-150 range. Had a lot of protein yesterday (a carnivore day) and sure enough, BG was super high again this morning. I never know who to trust anymore 😖
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-20, 15:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
What Dr Naiman, Dr Eades, and basically all other LC doctors and plans recommend isn't excess protein, it's sufficient protein.

I have a hard time even getting that much!
Sadly, what they consider sufficient protein seems to make my BG soar.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-20, 05:01

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

We all have so many different things going on in our bodies, and not everything works the same for each person. Some people need more protein, some less. Some need more fat, some less. Some even need more carbs, and some less (or none). If only everything worked the same for everyone, life would be so much easier!
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-20, 08:13

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Yes, Debbie, my mistake was to say that I was concerned that to much protein might damage kidneys, nice to hear that it shouldn’t and I do aim at my 70 grams but am often way more....but I also, like you, have much higher BG if I do much protein, like 60 gms