Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-19, 12:29

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Coca-Cola's deal to exclusively stock hospitals with drinks 'astonishing'

Quote:
Coca-Cola's deal to exclusively stock hospitals with drinks 'astonishing'

A health academic says it's "astonishing" that several hospitals are locked into exclusive drink supply agreements with Coca-Cola Amatil.

Experts say the consumption of sugary drinks like Coke is linked to tooth decay, diabetes, heart disease and obesity.

Stuff has learnt Canterbury District Health Board has an exclusive vending supply agreement with the soft drink giant.

A Canterbury DHB spokesperson said it has a supply agreement with Coke that includes vending machines containing water, juices and sugar-free beverages. The agreement doesn't include the standard Coke drink.

Hutt Valley DHB also has a supply agreement with Coke for the supply of water and coconut water products in Hutt Hospital.

"Any products supplied comply with the Ministry of Health national healthy food and drink policy," a Hutt Valley DHB spokesperson said.

University of Auckland senior lecturer in population health Dr Simon Thornley said he was shocked at the deals.

"I think it's astonishing that a district health board has signed up to a contract with a company that has wreaked so much damage," Thornley said.

"This company has played a major role in the poor health of developed countries like New Zealand, and yet they're supporting them financially through trade."

Thornley said it was a misconception that juices were a healthier alternative to soft drinks. Juices often had the same sugar concentrations as drinks like Coke.

"So in terms of risk to health, rotten teeth, diabetes, weight gain and fatty liver, it's exactly the same. You might as well have a soft drink rather than organic apple juice."

A Coca-Cola Amatil spokesperson said the company was "dedicated to helping New Zealanders consume less sugar from our beverages, through innovation, reformulation and actively encouraging people to make good decisions around their sugar intake".

"Four out of our five Coca-Cola brand variants in New Zealand now have no sugar, with almost half of our Coca-Cola brand sales coming from these no sugar drinks - and this is growing.

"In addition, this year the majority of our marketing investment in our Coca-Cola brand was on our no sugar Coca-Cola drinks and this will continue."

One of Coke's vending terms is exclusivity, meaning no other vending machines from other companies are allowed to be on the premises.

Stuff also asked several universities about their drink supply agreements, and found that Otago University has a campus-wide vending agreement with Coke for chilled beverages.

The university's campus and collegiate life director, James Lindsay, said "any renewal of our current agreement is a number of years away".

"At that time, the university will take into consideration a number of factors when choosing to procure or negotiate any future supplier contracts," Lindsay said.

"Currently, the university's vending machines also offer a full range of zero sugar and low sugar options."

The university also has an agreement with Frucor Suntory to supply drinks for its cafes and retail outlets, including Pepsi.

Victoria University of Wellington also has an agreement with Coke to provide vending machines on its three campuses.

"The majority of the drinks the vending machines supply must be water, and the university will be moving to increase healthy content in its vending machines as contracts are renegotiated," a Victoria University spokesperson said.

Thornley said while primary and secondary schools were generally changing their approach to sugary drinks, universities "really haven't changed at all".

"I think it really reflects how normal sugary drinks have been in New Zealand society."

A recent study found 52 per cent of drinks purchased in New Zealand contained added sugar, more than Australia, Canada and the UK.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...nks-astonishing
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-19, 20:25

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Not surprized. Hospital food on par with school food, here in US.

Remembering one meal, after emergency surgery so staff decided my meal. Gone was green beans, and squash; replaced by anything and everything WHITE. I didnt eat.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-19, 11:17

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

Coca Cola and Pepsi, as mentioned in the article, both have a wide range of non-caloric bottled drinks, including water so I find it hard to get too exercised that they supply drinks to hospitals. I am assuming they are not serving coke with the patients' meals (but probably are serving juice!).

At least I can get a water or diet coke from the vending machine, but rarely do I see almonds or any type of nut in the vending machine unless it's in the form of a sugar laden trail mix. "Baked" chips or other low fat stuff, they have that too.

The hospital cafeterias are not much better though there might be a salad bar which may or may not have protein to go with the greens.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-19, 11:29

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycie14

The hospital cafeterias are not much better though there might be a salad bar which may or may not have protein to go with the greens.

Yes, not much better. I've been there done that when a relative was there for days on end.
Salad with no meat is basically low fat with a spike of surgery dressing. For me, that is a starvation diet.
I remember there were islands of foods and every single one was carbs and sugars.
Then again, how many nurses and other hospital staff are sick themselves after eating there daily.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-19, 14:35

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I did a lot of visits to a 7th Day Adventist hospital during a friend's prolonged stay. The cafeteria there was mostly vegetarian, lots of quinoa and veggies. I had a hard time doing low carb there too.

My friend's patient meals were not vegetarian, but they were low sodium and the desserts they served were very low sugar. She hated the food, and I couldn't blame her!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-19, 05:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Then again, how many nurses and other hospital staff are sick themselves after eating there daily.

Medical staff are among the worst: shift work, poor sleep, grabbing convenience foods and what's in the cafeteria. Recipe for metabolic disaster.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-19, 10:12

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Medical staff are among the worst: shift work, poor sleep, grabbing convenience foods and what's in the cafeteria. Recipe for metabolic disaster.

Yes, unless they bring their food, they are literally held captive because there is not enough time to leave, find healthy food and then return in time.

I just can't imagine why a hospital would have Coke as a sponsor.
It's all about the money and to hell with patient care.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 01:04
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

To be fair, they're not sponsoring the hospital per se, from what I can tell from this article. It's not like they're bribing them into pushing sugary drinks by buying them a new MRI machine or something. It's an exclusivity deal, and they do this all the time. They're basically saying, "you already sell these drinks - we'll give you a discount if you sign a contract saying you'll only sell what we distribute, and you sell absolutely no PepsiCo or other outside products."

I first encountered this when I went to University in the 90s. I was royally ticked off to discover that there was absolutely no Diet Pepsi anywhere on campus.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 10:08

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

I always see the residents sucking down Diet Coke and salad. I don't know how they survive.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 10:12

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Coke and Pepsi compete for the contracts with universities, fast food joints etc. My university went with Pepsi (which funded a couple of scholarships, at the beginning, at least), so I had to bring my Diet Coke in from home - it did help me cut back to one a day, though. The A&W was allowed to sell fountain-only Coke products due to a pre-existing contract, but no cans or bottles. Our main rival was a Coke-only university and once the contracts were in place some kids chose which one to attend depending on their preference for Coke or Pepsi.

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Sep-02-19 at 10:25.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 11:22

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

There are also some places with contracts in place from Coca-Cola Co. or PepsiCo that don't sell Coke or Pepsi. Both companies make and bottle a lot of other beverages including iced tea, water, even milk.

Coca-Cola owns Odwalla, Honest Tea, Dasani, Fairlife (milk), Smart Water, Vitamin Water, and Zico Coconut water, as well as several juice brands like Minute Maid and Simply Orange.

PepsiCo owns Aquafina, Tropicana, Naked, Bubly, Propel, Izze, One (coconut water).

Obviously, the majority of what both these companies make and sell are full of added sugar. But it's possible for them to supply a range of drinks including many with lower sugar, no sugar or artificial sweeteners. The contracts can specify that they want certain things supplied. The issue isn't that the hospitals have a contract with a beverage supplier--it's whether the hospital is ensuring that they're not just supplying sugar and more sugar.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 14:33

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I see the problem in terms of whether people want to drink sugar water--rather than in terms of whether the hospital supplies it. You're sick, or pregnant, or you just work there--now you're in the hospital, so your right to decide what to eat or drink is at an end? This is a little different for me from when Big Soda provides research dollars to make themselves look good, or to steer research towards exercise and away from dietary (sugary) causes of ill health, etc.

Quote:
The majority of the drinks the vending machines supply must be water, and the university will be moving to increase healthy content in its vending machines as contracts are renegotiated," a Victoria University spokesperson said.

They can dictate supply, but not demand. If a vending machine gives six types of water, and four types of soda, what do you think will sell? Ooh, I was going to have a root beer, but they've given me six types of water to choose from, and they all look so good... yeah, right.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 17:18

BF:

Well.... when my boss caved to many requests for fruit in the vending machine , he negotiated a new contract to include apples and oranges and bananas as well as the prepackaged sandwiches.

Fruit cleaned out nearly every day.

Perhaps offering water as well as soda is a step in the right direction , even if it is only one water to 20 sodas...

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Sep-02-19 at 18:04.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 19:30

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

But you've described a situation where everybody was asking for fruit. Fill some random vending machine with fruit, you might get a different outcome.

Personally I'm happy with tap water. As long as it's run through some coffee beans or had a tea bag in it for a while.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-19, 07:26

BF:

Lol, yes run thru a tea bag is terrific!!

My family looks for water, not soda, usually. The Community center, with members focused on gym or weight room activities, has an entire vending machine devoted to bottled water.

Imho, more people than we realize, want water over soda if given the opportunity.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Sep-03-19 at 07:43.