Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-19, 08:36

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I gave up on organic whipping cream because no matter what brand I tried, it was no good by the time I got it home. It was partially clabbered & instead of whipping, I ended up with bad tasting butter. It may be because I live in the boonies & the bouncing during the long truck drive from the city & then up our loooong rutted driveway churns it.

I don't use much cream (almost dairy free) so the additives don't bother me - at least not as much as wasting money trying to buy organic.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-19, 09:29

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Bob, I have no idea how it is in Florida, but here on the west coast more and more dairies have been following consumer demand and not using rBGH on their cows. <...snip...>

We have Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and others in Florida, but they are about 50 miles away from me. It's the price I pay for living in 'almost paradise' with a 2 mile wide lagoon on one side and a protected preserve on the other.

Bob
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-19, 10:01

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
We have Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and others in Florida, but they are about 50 miles away from me. It's the price I pay for living in 'almost paradise' with a 2 mile wide lagoon on one side and a protected preserve on the other.

Bob

Obviously you have the southeastern "almost paradise", and I consider that I live in the northwestern one No lagoon, but a beautiful river, and lots and lots of trees. And our nearest TJ's is in the Big City, 65 miles away. We go up there about once a month, visit my brother, do the shopping that can't be done in our town, and stock up. And then make do if the "stocking up" runs out before the next trip north. Not a heavy price to pay, in my opinion. As I'm sure you would agree. Living in paradise makes up for a lot
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-19, 13:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Living in paradise makes up for a lot

Amen to that! We get used to it until a new person visits & tells us how beautiful it is - gives us a new appreciation. Even winter would be wonderful if we never had to use the driveway!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-19, 13:48

BF:

Just shows how generous Mother Nature is; she's scattered bits of paradise all around!
And to get back on topic ... she just gives us cream, without the additives :-)
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-19, 17:09

BF:

A nice feature of this country is whatever climate you like, there is probably somewhere you can live. Me? I firmly believe snow and ice only belong in two places (1) the upper section of your refrigerator -- or the bottom if you have one of those -- and (2) your drink. Definitely NOT outside the house.

Verbena, you must be in the panhandle. There are some beautiful beaches there.

Bob
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-19, 17:33

BF:

Quote:
Verbena, you must be in the panhandle. There are some beautiful beaches there.
Bob

Oops, misunderstanding. I was referencing the country, not the state of Florida. I live in southwest Oregon. Some nice beaches here too, though it is a 1 1/2 hour drive for me to get to them. I grew up on the coast though - central California coast.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 07:03

BF:

I remember going to the Oregon coast many years ago. It is a beautiful part of the country. I haven't seen much of the rest of Oregon. Perhaps some day.

Bob
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 09:11

BF:

Quote:
I remember going to the Oregon coast many years ago. It is a beautiful part of the country. I haven't seen much of the rest of Oregon. Perhaps some day.

Bob

Having been born in Oregon & lived there most of my life, I can guarantee you'll find something you like in Oregon - it really does have something for everyone; mountains, coastal beaches, rivers, forests, deserts, rain forests - you name it, it's in Oregon. Washington is much the same, but Oregon has better beaches. The only problem we had with Oregon was the cost of land & property taxes. Financially, we're doing better where we are, but I do miss the flowers that refuse to grow here.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 11:20

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I gave up on organic whipping cream because no matter what brand I tried, it was no good by the time I got it home. It was partially clabbered & instead of whipping, I ended up with bad tasting butter. It may be because I live in the boonies & the bouncing during the long truck drive from the city & then up our loooong rutted driveway churns it.
I don't know. I live in the city less about 10 minutes from the market and I have the same problem. It's not like I have a wild and wooly drive home. Also, I've had the same experience with organic going sour very quickly compared to the Darigold 40% that I buy at Costco. I didn't even get through a pint compared to the half-gallon that I get at Costco. I also tried a local brand, but it was also partially clabbered and had no flavor.

I've tried buying a couple of pints because I'm fasting more and not using up the big half-gallon from Costco. Even though the pints are twice as expensive, I didn't finish up last half gallon, so I thought it would work out. But then I didn't finish the last pint, because it went sour so quickly. Also, I can't get the Darigold 40% at the supermarket--the max they have is 36%. I think the extra fat and lower milk content helps it stay fresh longer, plus I'd rather have the fat instead of an extra carb.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 18:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Having been born in Oregon & lived there most of my life, I can guarantee you'll find something you like in Oregon - it really does have something for everyone; mountains, coastal beaches, rivers, forests, deserts, rain forests - you name it, it's in Oregon. Washington is much the same, but Oregon has better beaches. The only problem we had with Oregon was the cost of land & property taxes. Financially, we're doing better where we are, but I do miss the flowers that refuse to grow here.

The problem is to me ice only belongs in two places (1) the upper section of your refrigerator or (2) in your drink

I'm a tropical loving guy, if it gets under 70 the house gets closed up, if it gets under 60 the heater goes on. On the other side of the termostat, the AC never goes on.

My visits to your beautiful state will be confined to late spring and summer.

But I need to get back on topic.

I wrote to Horizon asking them why they put gellan gum in their cream and got this answer:
We appreciate you reaching out to us at Horizon OrganicŪ, your questions are important to us.

We use Gellan Gum in our products as a food additive. It is used as a thickener and stabilizer.

Well I should have expected that.

If I can find a non rBST or organic heavy whipping cream with one ingredient, cream, that will be my brand.

Until then, I like Horizon better than Organic Valley, both have gellan gum. Publix has milk and additives, plus I don't know if it is rBST free or not. I wrote and got a 'definitely perhaps' answer.

Bob
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 20:20

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Trader Joe's in not organic but I believe it's non-rBST.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 01:49

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Trader Joe's in not organic but I believe it's non-rBST.

does rBST show up in the ingredients?
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 07:31

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
does rBST show up in the ingredients?

No, but Trader Joe's labels their dairy as non-rBST. I just double-checked what I had in my fridge and it is labeled. You have to buy the non-organic one to get a single ingredient cream, though.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 07:58

BF:

I wish there was a Trader Joe's here.

Non rBST is more important to me than organic, although both is better.

I've read in fairly reliable sources that the hormone produced milk is suspected in causing prostate or breast cancer, which is why it's banned in most industrialized countries. Both of those cancers are hormone based, which seems logical.

I know some people smoke all their lives and never get cancer, some people drink rBGH milk all their lives and never get cancer, but some do. Why take the chance when there is an affordable alternative?

Bob