Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 12:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
The reality of cancer and emphysema resulted in dramatic decreased usage. While tax was levied, it didn't come close to the influence of the grim reality that many experienced with their smoking loved ones. Taxes have a very weird impact on the demand of an addictive substance, as addicts will simply pay the price increase. That the government took a stand to get an accurate message out on tobacco and health helped immensely. Still suffering consequences of smoking today with so many baby boomers suffering from COPD.

Edited to add: It's hard to compare tobacco with the prospect of identifying and supporting a healthy diet. We know one size does not fit all, and we have the various diet "camps" that swear their way of eating is the most healthy to the point of attempting to discredit the other camps who don't support their "correct" way of eating. There are so many underlying issues resulting in the allegiance to one camp or the other, that it's very confusing to the public. The contrary messages coming from acolytes for a particular way of eating coupled with current dietary guidelines serve to confuse and conflate. I wonder whether the topic of what constitutes healthy food can ever be settled. For many, it's become a religion. The message for tobacco was far easier, because the very negative outcomes became clear and obvious incentives for avoiding or quitting.

Vaping has become a BIG problem here, especially among the teens. Traded cigarettes for vaping.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 12:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDawn
We pulled our kids from the brick and mortar public school setting 4 years ago and they now do an online charter school option at home. Not having to deal with all the school parties and the lunch room situation has been nice. Now my kids just make their own lunch and know how to use the stove/oven etc. That's not why we changed schools but it's been a nice bonus

Well done!!! I always encourage home schooling when ever feasible. I was NOT in a position to home school due to circumstances beyond my control.

NOW both boys are at a Tech school. One studying IT--other HVAC and HVAC is quick to help fix equipment for the in house "Restaurant" as they get great snacks from the kitchen as a reward. lol Like I said before, better not perfect.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 12:13

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Well done!!! I always encourage home schooling when ever feasible. I was NOT in a position to home school due to circumstances beyond my control.

NOW both boys are at a Tech school. One studying IT--other HVAC and HVAC is quick to help fix equipment for the in house "Restaurant" as they get great snacks from the kitchen as a reward. lol Like I said before, better not perfect.

You are lucky! In home tech support and on call HVAC repair.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 13:13

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:

My husband is in industrial HVAC He started out at tech center in HS studying commercial electricity and after high school he went on to become a journeyman electrician. From there his career went in a different direction and now he has a very specialized job programming new HVAC equipment in industrial settings. He's had all sorts of specialty classes/training at this point-all paid for by his employer

I've already told my kids they're doing tech center in HS lol.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 13:16

BF:

Quote:
My husband is in industrial HVAC He started out at tech center in HS studying commercial electricity and after high school he went on to become a journeyman electrician. From there his career went in a different direction and now he has a very specialized job programming new HVAC equipment in industrial settings. He's had all sorts of specialty classes/training at this point-all paid for by his employer

I've already told my kids they're doing tech center in HS lol.

It's smart! I told my kids to learn a trade but they don't listen. One is majoring in pure math, jeez.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 13:20

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
It's smart! I told my kids to learn a trade but they don't listen. One is majoring in pure math, jeez.

Math could lead to engineering or teaching? My husband's cousin is brilliant with math and she majored in it, ended up becoming a math professor and teaches advanced college classes that I can't even pronounce
  #22   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 13:26

BF:

Quote:
Math could lead to engineering or teaching? My husband's cousin is brilliant with math and she majored in it, ended up becoming a math professor and teaches advanced college classes that I can't even pronounce

I don't think she'll get accepted to graduate school - she is a very enthusiastic C student in math. President of the math club, spends all her time on it, even studies a lot outside of what she' learning in her classes but doesn't get great grades. She's not brilliant in it. Engineering is a different path which she A. is not interested in and B. does not have the grades for. Those programs are very competitive. You are also supposed to have a 3.0 in your content area to teach in our state so I think that pathway might close, too. She'll get a BA in math and then she can decide what she wants to do. She gets A's in all of her other classes. I don't really know what to tell her at this point but she seems unconcerned.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 17:33

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Vaping has become a BIG problem here, especially among the teens. Traded cigarettes for vaping.

Yes, I'm seeing it more and more. I can't believe it's healthy, but it's relatively new to have any significant health history. BTW, "here" is where I am as well. And if you mean Massachusetts, that's where I was born and raised and still have family. I just came back from the South Shore on Monday. I'm up there frequently. Small world.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-02-19, 07:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Yes, I'm seeing it more and more. I can't believe it's healthy, but it's relatively new to have any significant health history. BTW, "here" is where I am as well. And if you mean Massachusetts, that's where I was born and raised and still have family. I just came back from the South Shore on Monday. I'm up there frequently. Small world.

Yes small world! lol

One student in my sons HVAC freshman class caused a big hoopla: class was in lock down for a week causing my son to rearrange his 'breakfast" from 1st break to before school ; locks handed out for every shop locker; all because ONE student who vapes and partakes of weed. I carefully and sternly warned my son that the workplace is no place for anything but a clear head. ANd School is the first workplace.