Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 08:11

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

What Janet said. (And I'm glad for the good company!)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 10:38

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I love my CoFeFe
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 10:52

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Well, maybe not so simple. My "hunger signal" has been broken for most of my life. In addition, choosing when to eat or not is a privilege enjoyed by people who live mostly solitary or independent lives. When you have a family, whether or not you are the "cook," making sure meals arrive at regular times is not unreasonable .

Just one more variation on the N = 1 experiment we all pursue. Which brings me to caffeine.

I've learned to live without a lot of things in my many years as an LC devotee. Coffee isn't one of them. I use coffee (usually with caffeine) as a comfort "food" and no one will pry it out of my hands. YMMV.

I'm newer to lower carb but I've been in maintenance for over 6 years/at this whole thing for around 7 years. I'm also a mom of 3 kiddos and a stay at home wife, which means I do all my family's grocery shopping, cooking, baking etc. I eat my meals at a different time than my family does, because I do IF on and off, and I also eat different foods/meals than my family most times, (have been doing this going on the 7 years now). It takes a while to get used to it, but it's really not a big deal. I've learned how to meal plan/prep in a way that makes meal times go smoothly and I always sit down with my family at their supper time even if I'm not eating at that time, (usually just drink water).

We also eat out/with family a lot and I've learned how to handle those situations in a way that fits my dietary/nutrition goals, everything else is secondary to that. I have no problem going to a restaurant with family/friends and just ordering coffee or diet soda while they eat a meal-I've done this numerous times over the past few years and I haven't lost a friendship or family member over it yet I'm going to a luncheon baby shower this weekend and I'll have no problem saying no thank you to the cake or other foods that don't fit with my plan, because I'll eat before I go and then sip on water/coffee, (I tend to always have a cup of something in hand for these type of things, to give my hands something to do while others are eating). I'm sure I'll get a few looks at the shower, but big whoop lol.

Doing things the 'normal' way have gotten us nowhere good, it's time to start thinking outside the box and break free of conventions that may be hindering our health and weight goals!

Last edited by DaisyDawn : Wed, Apr-24-19 at 11:23.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 10:55

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

oops, wrong thread
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 10:56

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'm old-school and I think if you are in ketosis it will come off eventually. I think you were still holding on to whatever you were eating before you switched over. I would ditch the diet soda and Splenda just 'cause that stuff is gross and keeps you craving sweet. Otherwise, just trust the sticks and the process and it will happen. I have been losing very slowly but very steadily so long as I stay in ketosis. Would I love to have a giant 5 pound loss in one week? Sure, that's how I gained this weight (was sick and the inflammation piled it on). But I trust the process and the pink on the sticks and it all works out in the end. You are also not too far from goal. At 190 and a guy, you will just not lose 10 pounds in a week. Not gonna happen.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-19, 11:59

Plan: Atkins - New Diet Rev
Stats: 189/181.6/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Well, I'm happy to say I lost almost 5 pounds! Yes, just stick with it I will! Thanks to you all. Yes, it was two weeks, but that's great.

Yeah, my body type is slender but this has been affecting my back and so it's interesting re: distribution.

I look forward to fitting into my normal clothes again. I gained this weight due to stress and life changes (very common LOL).

When I did this the first time, my brain thought it would be over. Of course not!

I'm thinking of the lifestyle aspect. No more stuffing pop-tarts! I was so addicted to sugar, and that's been freeing. I'd eat a sugary treat and not feel good about it.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 08:18

BF:

Haha thank you all! It's been SO long since I followed Atkins to the letter. And so I'm learning again!

I lost 4.6 lbs this month. I feel like I should have lost more! I have been following Induction rules and while I've had moments of cravings, I haven't fallen off the wagon. But maybe patience is key here? And a fiber supplement?

Thanks to you all!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 08:43

BF:

I'm going to make a commitment here: I'm going to avoid diet sodas and the 1g carb meat even if the meat is natural, etc. I tested my ketone level and it's as high as ever, unlike when I'm eating carbs. So, I can try this cutback for the next 7 days!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 08:50

BF:

I need to drink more water and add a fiber supplement. I have felt a bit lethargic and allowing more diet soda. I'm going to stick to carb free flavored sparkling water, and regular water. And pure fats. I had more pure fats earlier in the program and lost more the week before this past one.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 08:53

BF:

I posted more in another thread. Basically, I've looked back at my habits and am going to make a commitment for the next 7 days to eat more fat and be extra careful of diet soda! I haven't been eating as much pure fat like butter, and I also have been lethargic and so that has easily led to a sneaking in of hidden carbs. I am still under 20. But if I want to lose faster then I should be more strict.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 08:58

BF:

I definitely feel the lost inches! Yay! But I am bloated from yesterday's dinner of beef as well as not drinking enough water! So, more water and fiber is a good idea.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 09:24

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Here's my post from that other thread, it applies here as well:

Patrick, stay the course. As you likely know or have been told, weight loss is hardly linear. Many have used the approach to ignore the scale and rarely use it for this reason. They find their clothes are getting bigger while they're getting smaller in places that don't always show up on a scale. If you're eating healthy and exercising, fat loss is often balanced by muscle and lean mass gain. You are certainly moving in the right direction, and by experimenting with no carb fiber or increasing fat, you are starting your own N=1, where you are the one subject of your personal nutrition experiment. That's how many of us were able to make adjustments to our way of eating to achieve better health, and since it's so individualized, it's a great idea to learn, apply small course corrections to your food consumption, and then determine whether it's a permanent addition or something to move on from based on the results you experience. While many are inspired to start this journey from hearing fantastic stories of dramatic and fast weight loss, the practicality sets in once you understand how you respond. It's a process, and if you stay consistent, you will get results. Enjoy the journey!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 16:48

BF:

Thank you! It can be tough when even Dr. Atkins makes these statements.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 16:53

BF:

Thank you! I did use Nutrisystem more recently than when I did Atkins, and had a big loss since there was a reduction in portion sizes. So, of course, I considered portion sizes. But now I realize that what you said is true, just be focused and keep following the plan. It's frustrating when even Dr. Atkins was stating how the first couple of weeks were going to show big losses. Thank you!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, May-13-19, 06:49

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Patrick. Glad you're still here. Patience is hard.

Since I embarked on Keto in February, I've lost maybe ten pounds, with long spaces in between small drops. The direction is right, but the speed (or slowth!) is annoying. I have 20-30 to lose! (Again)

So...I focus on the health benefits, the visceral pleasure of actually doing something, and the hobby of sharing with other folks on the journey.

Best wishes.