Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 08:09
Bob-a-rama's Avatar
Bob-a-rama Bob-a-rama is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,093
 
Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 230/185/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Location: Florida
Default Dairy intolerance? This might help you out so you can enjoy it with no problem.

OK, my wife has dairy intolerance. She gets black eyes eating dairy. From what I read on the Internet, others have the usual digestive issues, but the cause and the cure is the same.

We took a 5 week trip to Australia in a rented camper van. She figured nobody would know her there so she was going to enjoy dairy and just live with the black eyes.

We ate cheese, cream in coffee, whipped cream in mocha, etc., and she had no problem.

So I figured that they don't feed their cows GMO corn or give them rBGH hormones. When we got home I bought some organic cheese and cream. Result: black eyes.

So researching I found that there is a genetic mutation in most North American Holstein cows, causing one of the amino acids (#67) to become histidine instead of proline. The histidine turns into histamines which is what you take antihistamines to combat when you have allergies.

European, Australian, and African cows are all A2 type cows that do not have the mutation. Most North and South American cows are A1 type cows.

So after years of not eating cheese, we now only buy imported from Europe and the UK cheese, and she has zero problems. Plus she eats some every day, which helps with her calcium intake.

If you are milk intolerant, you might want to try some European cheese, and see if it works for you.

Bob
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 08:46
SilverEm SilverEm is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,075
 
Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Location: Maintenance since 2001
Default

Bob, yes. I look for Guernsey milk and cheese. 100% grass-fed and organic.
Reply With Quote
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 09:44
tess9132 tess9132 is offline
 
Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default

Thank you! I'm going to look for this!
Reply With Quote
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 09:50
Meme#1's Avatar
Meme#1 Meme#1 is offline
Posts: 10,345
 
Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/188/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
OK, my wife has dairy intolerance. She gets black eyes eating dairy. From what I read on the Internet, others have the usual digestive issues, but the cause and the cure is the same.

We took a 5 week trip to Australia in a rented camper van. She figured nobody would know her there so she was going to enjoy dairy and just live with the black eyes.

We ate cheese, cream in coffee, whipped cream in mocha, etc., and she had no problem.

So I figured that they don't feed their cows GMO corn or give them rBGH hormones. When we got home I bought some organic cheese and cream. Result: black eyes.

So researching I found that there is a genetic mutation in most North American Holstein cows, causing one of the amino acids (#67) to become histidine instead of proline. The histidine turns into histamines which is what you take antihistamines to combat when you have allergies.

European, Australian, and African cows are all A2 type cows that do not have the mutation. Most North and South American cows are A1 type cows.

So after years of not eating cheese, we now only buy imported from Europe and the UK cheese, and she has zero problems. Plus she eats some every day, which helps with her calcium intake.

If you are milk intolerant, you might want to try some European cheese, and see if it works for you.

Bob



Wow! Very interesting info.
Reply With Quote
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 10:59
GRB5111's Avatar
GRB5111 GRB5111 is offline
Posts: 2,826
 
Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Location: Herndon, VA
Default

Here's one of the threads from 2017 where some were discussing A2 dairy. We are starting to produce this in the U.S.

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=477260

More grocery stores are carrying A2/A2 milk and other products due to widespread information enabling many people with problems to consume dairy from this type of cows.
Reply With Quote
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 22:18
FREE2BEME's Avatar
FREE2BEME FREE2BEME is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 2,726
 
Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/198/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%
Location: Japan
Default

I wonder if thatís why I always have black eyes, even when Iím well rested. My children have varying degrees of black eyes too. And it seems worse at times, for no apparent reason. I was just told it was genetic. 🤔 But none of us tolerate dairy well and get stomach issues too, so maybe thereís a connection? I wonder how your wife connected a dairy issue to black eyes?
Reply With Quote
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-19, 03:26
JEY100's Avatar
JEY100 JEY100 is offline
To Good Health!
Posts: 11,099
 
Plan: IF Fung/LC Westman/Primal
Stats: 222/171/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/25.3%/24%
Progress: 96%
Location: NC
Default

Thanks for all that info on A2 milk, so interesting about your wife,s experience with black eyes. I am seeing it in still more places...latest is Trader Joe's. Both Trader Joe's and Costco have the best selections and prices of imported cheeses. TJ carries a mild New Zealand Raw cheddar, i wasnít buying it for the A2 milk but that it was raw milk. We know Bob doesnít have either of those stores nearby, but check if Amazon Prime delivery from Whole Foods is available in your piece of paradise? Another store with a good selection of A2.
Another previous thread with the company ad and store locator.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=479298

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Apr-17-19 at 03:32.
Reply With Quote
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-19, 06:49
GRB5111's Avatar
GRB5111 GRB5111 is offline
Posts: 2,826
 
Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Location: Herndon, VA
Default

Many of the major grocery stores in my area (Northern Virginia) are carrying at least one brand of A2 milk. Since I have sensitivities to certain types of cheese, I'd not hesitate to try A2 cheese. I need to look. Trend toward A2 products is a good sign, as it becomes a consideration of those who previously could not consume A1 cow dairy products. Farms in the US are adding A2 stock due to the health benefits and consumer response. Hopefully, it's simply a matter of time before there is broad availability for a variety of A2 dairy products. I don't drink milk, but as mentioned in a previous thread, I use whole A2 for kefir, and it is delicious.
Reply With Quote
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-19, 14:53
Bob-a-rama's Avatar
Bob-a-rama Bob-a-rama is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,093
 
Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 230/185/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Location: Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
I wonder if thatís why I always have black eyes, even when Iím well rested. My children have varying degrees of black eyes too. And it seems worse at times, for no apparent reason. I was just told it was genetic. 🤔 But none of us tolerate dairy well and get stomach issues too, so maybe thereís a connection? I wonder how your wife connected a dairy issue to black eyes?

Diet elimination. It took a long time.

We are musician/entertainers. They got so bad once, people thought I must have beat her. We get along so well, we don't even know how to fight, it's a pure bliss lucky-as-hell relationship.

That club never hired us again, so the long elimination process started. When it came to dairy, the results were quick.

After she eliminated dairy for a month or so and didn't get the black eyes, she reintroduced it and they came back. Re-elimination brought them back again.

Now she can get the calcium she needs, and enjoy butter and cheese as long as it's A2. To be safe, we get European cheese.

If they would sell domestic A2 cheese here in our area, we'd gladly buy it if it is one of the flavors we like.

At one of the grocery stores nearby they have A2 milk, but milk has too many carbs for us. We wrote to the company and asked them to make A2 heavy whipping cream, and received no response. I still put heavy whipping cream in my tea and coffee, she has to use that coconut/almond concoction that is better than nothing, but not as good.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-19, 01:45
FREE2BEME's Avatar
FREE2BEME FREE2BEME is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 2,726
 
Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/198/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%
Location: Japan
Default

Thatís interesting. Iíve never been able to pinpoint the source of my black eyes and now my children have them! But from what Iíve read, Japan has the A2 type, so I guess líll have to keep searching for the source of my problem. Iím glad your wife figured out her problem.
Reply With Quote
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-19, 05:17
GRB5111's Avatar
GRB5111 GRB5111 is offline
Posts: 2,826
 
Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Location: Herndon, VA
Default

I noticed A2 heavy cream at Mom's organic grocery store the other day. Almost bought it until I saw the price was north of $6 a pint.
Reply With Quote
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-19, 18:26
WereBear's Avatar
WereBear WereBear is offline
Posts: 11,399
 
Plan: Epi-Paleo/IF
Stats: 220/140/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 114%
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I noticed A2 heavy cream at Mom's organic grocery store the other day. Almost bought it until I saw the price was north of $6 a pint.


Should have come with its own eyedropper.
Reply With Quote
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-19, 08:11
Bob-a-rama's Avatar
Bob-a-rama Bob-a-rama is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,093
 
Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 230/185/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Location: Florida
Default

$6/pint is steep.

But I go $4/pint for organic. I go through fewer than 2 pints a week, The only thing I use it for is coffee and black tea.

It makes the coffee and tea taste so much better than milk or half and half (which is less than half cream these days).

I don't trust the rBGH fed to US cows. I figured the EU and many other countries banned them on at least likely to cause problems evidence. I could be wrong and wasting my money, but I figure it's best to err on the safe side when I can.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-19, 09:10
GRB5111's Avatar
GRB5111 GRB5111 is offline
Posts: 2,826
 
Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Location: Herndon, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
$6/pint is steep.

But I go $4/pint for organic. I go through fewer than 2 pints a week, The only thing I use it for is coffee and black tea.

It makes the coffee and tea taste so much better than milk or half and half (which is less than half cream these days).

I don't trust the rBGH fed to US cows. I figured the EU and many other countries banned them on at least likely to cause problems evidence. I could be wrong and wasting my money, but I figure it's best to err on the safe side when I can.

Bob

I agree, that's my price ceiling; although, Whole Foods in my area has been offering quarts of rBST-free heavy cream from Harrisburg Dairies for just over $4. That's a price I can live with since I go through 2-3 pints a week. Unfortunately, it's from A1 cows, but it doesn't mess with me.
Reply With Quote
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 11:50
Bob-a-rama's Avatar
Bob-a-rama Bob-a-rama is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,093
 
Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 230/185/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Location: Florida
Default

The A1 doesn't bother me, but it does my wife. I'd pay the extra $2 for her if it was available here. She is worth much more than that to me.

We do buy nothing but A2 cheese, so after years of abstaining, I'm happy to see here enjoying the taste and the health benefits of dairy again.

Bob
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38.


Copyright © 2000-2019 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.