Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 13:47

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
And ya, breakfast IS the LEAST important meal of the day!!

This is not true for me. For me breakfast is the Most important meal of the day. I think we have to be careful when we make up rules not to become fundamentalists insisting that our way is the only way. Some things are clearly true for just about everyone but other things are not. Breakfast is not the most important meal of the day or the least important meal of the day. It really depends on when else the individual eats. Meal timing is important but it is also flexible with many possible permutations.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 13:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Im not a rule maker--- I just see what works in MY house with myself and my kids. Even my teens dont eat until late morning or noon on the weekends-- and THEY are thin and trim. Skipping breakfast is NOT the evil it has been made out to be.

Please feel that your way is right for you, because if it works for you, it IS the right way.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 14:17

Plan: mine
Stats: 222/185/143 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

i think the key matter here is.
Are you forcing yourself to not eat breakfast or you just don't need to eat breakfast because you dont feel hungry. If You can focus on your daily work without eating breakfast and while doing that you never think about having a good meal than you are good to go. Otherwise having a meal is better.
For me i eat only dinner one time every 24 hour. But every morning i have to drink coffeee with some oil(fat) . Thats a must for me. For you it can be bacons with eggs i think both perfect.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 14:58

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

A good article on the evolution of how we came to have 3 meals is here: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20243692
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 15:23

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think it's a whole different ball of wax for someone who is very low carb, all day long, day after day with no cheats whatsoever of any kind of starch. We need our protein....and fat!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 15:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
We need our protein....

Not only that, so many have shared their discovery that they have bad reactions to its various forms, like eggs, or chicken, or dairy.

Then there’s the vegetarian combining proteins trick, which never works for me. I got sick trying vegetarianism because my body just can’t extract enough protein from plant sources.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 16:14

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Quote:
I buy bacon for $3.29 pp, organic would be twice that price. We go through 2-3 packs per week.

I was in Costco yesterday (here in Jacksonville, FL) and saw "Pork belly" (basically, the uncured meat used to make bacon), sliced like bacon, for around $2/lb. No nitrates/nitrites, no preservatives, no sugar (add your own salt).

Usually have a hard time finding this, short of someone who raises hogs.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 17:04

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
I've tried and it's impossible unless you are extremely rich.
I'm with you. I'm gradually trying to shift my choices where I can afford it. I started many years ago by switching to cage-free eggs on the theory (at that time) that I didn't really eat that many eggs. Now I can buy organic-fed, cage-free at Costco for about the same price as regular eggs at the regular grocery.

In my area, because of demand, many organic veggies are about the same price as the regular ones, so I'm switching to those, too. And boneless chicken thighs or wild caught salmon is within my budget at Costco. Hempler's uncured bacon is basically local, so it's only a couple extra bucks at Costco--but definitely still way more than $3.29/lb.

But grass-fed beef is more than twice what regular beef costs. And I already feel like I spend a ton of money on food.

I said this just the other day, but I think it's worth repeating: There's nothing wrong with organic veggies and grass-fed beef, and they're great choices if they're within someone's budget. But they aren't for most people, and I think the LC community needs to do a better job of not shaming people for eating "bad" food or "reminding" them they can do better, if they aren't eating all grass-fed, organic everything. We are already eating about 1000% better than the standard diet.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 18:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
But they aren't for most people, and I think the LC community needs to do a better job of not shaming people for eating "bad" food or "reminding" them they can do better, if they aren't eating all grass-fed, organic everything. We are already eating about 1000% better than the standard diet.

Agreed. Going from my previous diet to Atkins was a huge step up.

Now, I eat differently, having discovered sensitivities to seed oils, artificial sweetener, and gluten. But that is me. Someone else has different enzymes and different challenges.

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, Feb-08-19 at 15:49.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 18:48

BF:

I tried very much when I had children to feed, to buy all organic and it's pretty much impossible because the availability isn't there. I belonged to an organic fruit and veggie coop (to supplement) plus I shopped hard at several stores.
I kept getting organic pork at whole foods that was too old and it was already going bad. This went on for 6 months as I would bring it back and do a return but nobody is really in charge.

The chickens, seriously $13 Yes I did it for a while they're not always in stock either. Many times WF didn't have them and their prices are too high on regular chicken so on to another store..........

$5 cage free eggs is still fed soy meal and not really free roaming at all. I think if they open a door for an hour while they're in a pen, it's called cage free but they're not out roaming in nice green grass as we would hope for at that price.

Super hit and miss on available veggies. You can only buy so much organic salad
Whole Foods got to the point that there was hardly any organic veggies most of the time.

Another factor for me is that I do not want imported organic, I don't trust it. It's hard enough to inspect fields in the US much less in foreign countries. I think there is a lot of fraud because the profit is so great between the two.(conventional v organic)

I spent a lot of time gathering food for 6 people to eat.....But I never would buy cereal for them If I bought some after lots of begging, it was bought for dessert, only if they ate their nutritious dinner.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Thu, Feb-07-19 at 18:54.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 19:17

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Meme, I learned how to process my own just to save on the cost. It was , and is, a tough job but worthwhile for me to get better foods into my kids. Soooooo, I totally understand your effort to get organic and then have to return it. Maybe its a WF thing-- remember the bad blue cheese I bought there??

In the end we all do the best we can.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 19:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Meme, I learned how to process my own just to save on the cost. It was , and is, a tough job but worthwhile for me to get better foods into my kids. Soooooo, I totally understand your effort to get organic and then have to return it. Maybe its a WF thing-- remember the bad blue cheese I bought there??

In the end we all do the best we can.

Yes, I remember the cheese and I too had to return some Parmesan that was sour, tasting. WF is too commercial now. They strayed from their original mission when it was just local in Austin, then it went corporate when it went nation wide.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 10:44

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I think there are huge regional and local differences with availability and cost, too.

Where I live, demand for organic veggies in the grocery is so high that sometimes you can only buy an organic version and they don't even have the regular. And the free-range eggs that I buy at Costco come from a regional farm that says "Happy, healthy hens start with locally-grown, nutritionally-dense feed. Our hens dine on a blend of organic winter red wheat, spring wheat, peas and hay grown by us or regional partner farms." So they are soy-free.

I know I'm very lucky in all this. Some places in the country just don't have this kind of availability and if they do, it's very expensive. Like $13 chickens!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 18:06

BF:

I think it depends entirely on what is available to you, financial and otherwise.

Like eggs: the look and taste is totally different compared to supermarket eggs. So I pay twice as much, but it’s an important part of my food plan. While I don’t eat them every day, they keep well and are quick and easy to make.

DH finds apples soothe his stomach and are important for him to feel satisfied. So we get the organic apples, because all the others get weird. Like you cut them open and they are already brown inside.

Also, I find a lot of the cheap meat lasts a bizarrely short time before smelling and looking “off.” Supermarket greens get slimy quickly, while buying the local organic greens means they last in the fridge until I eat them all.

It’s different when you are feeding a family. But what I buy is just for me, and needs to meet my needs, like not having enough evergy to cook or needing the food to last a bit longer in the fridge.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 18:28

BF:

My favorite lettuce that lasts a long time is butter lettuce with the root attached in a plastic dome. They have it everywhere now and it is worth it because I can use every bit before it goes bad.

I do buy organic bagged or boxed lettuces and spinach because it's in all of the stores now so that's easy.
Finding vegetables like yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers on a consistent basis isn't as dependable. If it's there and organic and fresh I will buy it, otherwise I buy conventional.

It's just DH and I now so we don't have to buy in bulk anymore but sometimes DH forgets and will pick up a huge family pack of meat.