Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-18, 15:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252.6/252.6/175 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you for all the helpful info! I just watched the question/answer on monitoring and tapering BP and other meds. I am on statins and thyroid, and meds for bipolar disorder so I might be a little slow in losing.... I hope not. I will be monitoring my BP and BG I do every morning and evening.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-18, 02:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Then again, something else to monitor. You are on so many medications for conditions that might be positively impacted by the diet. Maybe keep a journal of how you are feeling, you may be able to reduce the bipolar medications too?

You can start a journal here, or keep track in a notebook, what you ate, how hungry and when, your BP and BG, level of side effects, more energy?, sleep better, less joint pain?, is the mood brightening? cycle of moods changing. Start your journal with "Know Your Why" ..what goals do you have beside weight loss? normalize BP and get off medications?, better breathing, stable moods, BG below 100, able to walk farther, etc. Whatever it is for you, make a list and anytime you are tempted to go off plan...read over these "Whys" and focus on the ultimate goals.

Excellent recent update review on Keto and mental health that will offer you another goal to shoot for.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/mental-health
Also search the DD success stories for bipolar and more inspiration.

Key to success is planning ahead...decide how LC meals will fit into your daily routine. Would having a specific meal plan and shopping list for two weeks help you focus or cause too much stress? DietDoctor has a two week challenge based on the Duke 20g carbs plan. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/get-started

Maybe instead it is easier for you to fill your fridge and pantry with allowed foods (also clean out all the junk from your house that isn’t on plan) and eat when hungry, not making recipes or following a meal plan when in a low mood.

Decide now the best way for you to stay on plan that fits your lifestyle. For example, no cook meals: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...eals/no-cooking

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Oct-16-18 at 04:25.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-18, 15:47

Plan: Keto/low carb
Stats: 173/170/140 Female 5’5”
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie here

Hello I recently started low carb again. I’ve put weight back on due to a very stressful few years. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March and went through surgery and radiation. I sold my home and lost my job. I have downsized big time. I moved to N.C. coast and I’m loving it. I need to lose this weight!

I was a member here years ago and love this forum and the receipes as well as the members!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-18, 20:16

BF:

Thank you Janet for all the wonderful information! I have read through it all and will go back and read it all again! I especially read that link about the Keto Diet and mental health! I have saved it!

I appreciate the links they are really great!

Barb
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-18, 20:21

BF:

Hello NC Chick! I hope that you are doing well now. It is hard to downsize and move. The people on this forum are great!!! Everyone who has posted to me are informative and really nice including yourself!

I'm really working this induction and it is hard but yet it isn't real hard except I was used to using Splenda a lot. I am having a hard time cutting down on them.

Barb
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-18, 06:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Chick
Hello I recently started low carb again. I’ve put weight back on due to a very stressful few years. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March and went through surgery and radiation. I sold my home and lost my job. I have downsized big time. I moved to N.C. coast and I’m loving it. I need to lose this weight!

I was a member here years ago and love this forum and the receipes as well as the members!

Welcome NC Chick,

From another NC chick who has been a client of the Duke Lifestyle clinic. We have a support group that meets in Durham monthly, also ones in Southern Pines and Greensboro. That is far for you, but you can watch the meetings (anyone can) on the FB page for HealClinic: https://www.facebook.com/pg/HEALcli...f=page_internal

or join the FB for the Support Group, using Dr. Westman's No Sugar, No Startch Ketogenic diet. https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf

I am also a cancer survivor, 12 years, and am convinced that this diet is helping to prevent a recurrence.

You may want to start your own "introduction" post. All the best,