Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-18, 14:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default The Importance of Protein-- Dr Michael Eades

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-18, 22:24
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Couldn't hear much of what he said; was interested in the mTOR effect.

Another here on too much of a good thing. 10 keto mistakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqKl5yWR0CE
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-18, 17:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Dr. Eades looks like he has been beaten down by something.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-18, 09:04
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!

Quote:
IGF-1 as well as mTOR help to deal with environmental stressors by supporting repair processes and anabolic growth.
http://siimland.com/how-to-balance-autophagy-and-mtor/

Good article.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 09:30

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

You call that BASIC? lol I call that fairly nuanced and sophisticated for a layman.

It's unfortunate that the doctor didn't LOOK IN THE MIRROR before going on camera. He's got this big red blotch on his shirt. Nothing to do with the content, but very distracting. Why didn't his wife say something? Maybe it was too late by then and he was already on camera. Anyway.

Among other things, he talks about the bioavailability of protein, with whey protein being the highest. Krebs cycle (which I don't know), gluconeogenesis being a "pull" response by the body, if it needs glucose and you're not feeding it any, rather than a "push" response that happens from eating excessive protein. So get your damn protein and stop worrying about gluconeogenesis, is the message I'm getting here.

Since he specifically mentioned whey protein... I'm confused about it. I know how it affects ME, and I guess that's all that matters to my dietary choices, but... I've read that it has an insulinogenic effect on some people - and I'm one of them. I get ravenously hungry after a meal containing whey protein - maybe 1-2 hours later? I don't understand that. High bioavailability of protein, but my body is perceiving it as something else? What's going on there?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 10:51

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

My understanding: protein needs insulin to be processed. Not as much as carbohydrate, maybe typically sixty percent (don't quote me on that, but I think around that much). Whey protein does require a lot of insulin, more so than other proteins. It is also the highest protein source of leucine, which is needed to up-regulate mTOR to build muscle/prevent sarcopenia if you're an older person who doesn't want to be frail and end up in care. I'm now following the advice of Dr. Gabrielle Lyon to get enough protein 3X daily to stimulate muscle building to prevent muscle wasting as I age. My understanding also is that mTOR as stimulated briefly by protein for muscle building is a whole different animal, so to speak, from mTOR as stimulated by chronic carbohydrate intake, that the latter rather than the former is what should be raising worries about cancer and such. Anyone with more knowledge on this subject want to chime in?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 10:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

Bikman's research has shown consistent results, and the message is that one already on a low carb WOE benefits from increased protein with protection from corresponding increased insulin and benefits from increased glucagon. LCHF has a built-in control mechanism where gluconeogenesis occurs with consumption of protein, but hardly at the rate that occurs with protein consumption by one following a SAD approach. Here's the link, and while it's been posted before in other threads, I feel Bikman's presentation in this video is one of the more coherent descriptions of metabolic reaction to protein consumption I've seen. Also, his research is current and continuing as we write these posts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3fO5aTD6JU

As for whey protein, I'm suspicious enough to stay away from this form, as I have better results with meats, especially beef.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 12:39

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
You call that BASIC? lol I call that fairly nuanced and sophisticated for a layman.

It's unfortunate that the doctor didn't LOOK IN THE MIRROR before going on camera. He's got this big red blotch on his shirt. Nothing to do with the content, but very distracting. Why didn't his wife say something? Maybe it was too late by then and he was already on camera. Anyway.

~snip~

That's what I thought at first too, but turned out the red blotch on his shirt is actually the Ralph Laruen Polo emblem - It was way out of focus a lot of the time, but I caught a quick glimpse when it was in focus for a second or two, and yeah, definitely that emblem.

I think he probably should have shaved first - looked a little bedraggled with the several days worth of stubble, but hard to tell what time of day/night he sat down and did that video, or why he didn't take the time to make himself look a little more spiffy first. Or maybe he was just starting to grow a beard, since beards seem to be fashionable these days.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 12:46

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im betting he is a very busy man, and taking the time to post and share his expertise for free is remarkable.

Since when is it a wife's job to supervise her husbands clothes? Isn't he an adult?

It is unfortunate that his clothes and his unshaven look supersedes this man's message.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Aug-28-18 at 16:55.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 13:42

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

That red "blotch" is a designer logo and he seems to be growing a mustache/goatee. Also, looking down at a laptop camera leads to shadows that can age you 10 years. It is better to raise it so that you are looking level or slightly up at the camera (it makes typing hard, but works for simple videos or chats).

What I liked was his suggestion that glucose is made from protein only if you need it. Since the body regulates itself to only have one teaspoon of glucose in the bloodstream, this makes sense. If you overeat vitamins, the body just excretes the excess.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 14:15

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Im betting he is a very busy man, and taking the time to post and share his expertise for free is a remarkable.

Since when is it a wife's job to supervise her husbands clothes? Isn't he an adult?

It is unfortunate that his clothes and his unshaven look supersedes this man's message.

I agree, he is generous with his time to do this.

It's not her job, but what I'm saying is there was another person on the premises, who should have pointed out that there was blood or ketchup or whatever on his shirt and prompted him to change before going on the air. However, if that was a logo, and not a stain, it all makes sense... videography is an art, and unfortunately, presentation does tend to overshadow substance. But I did get the message.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-18, 10:04

BF:

I've increased my protein consumption due to age, ability to remain in ketosis while improving health, and recent information about the minimal impact of protein on ketone production for those who are already low carb or following a ketogenic approach. In addition, meat protein including fish is very nutrient dense, so as we age, we benefit from increased protein without disrupting endogenous ketone production to easily remain a fat burner. Here's an interview with Dr. Ben Bikman by Biohackers Lab exploring the best diet for insulin resistance. It covers much about protein consumption and other valuable information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIVwrlqcyUY
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-18, 10:51

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

What is this minimal impact of protein on ketone production? I'm pretty sure a 4:1 diet for instance is still more ketogenic than, say, Modified Atkins with its more liberal protein allowance but pretty much equivalent carb restriction.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-18, 07:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
What is this minimal impact of protein on ketone production? I'm pretty sure a 4:1 diet for instance is still more ketogenic than, say, Modified Atkins with its more liberal protein allowance but pretty much equivalent carb restriction.

Simply that increasing protein consumption when already following a low carb approach does not negatively impact ketone production, as it has less of an influence on triggering insulin. The difference, as Bikman explains, is when someone increases protein consumption when eating a SAD. For me, purely an N=1 test, I have increased protein consumption and measured blood ketones (BHB) and found that the increase has minimal, if any, impact on my ketone production. So, the gluconeogenesis resulting from additional protein has apparently not had a significant effect on my ketones, and the conclusion is that insulin and ketones have an inverse relationship. The depressed ratio of insulin to glucagon when following low carb makes sense in the presence of increased protein. I have not tested how much protein would significantly lower ketone production. I just wanted to know what would happen if I ate a 16 ounce or more steak on occasion, increasing my daily protein consumption. Because of my response, I have upped my daily protein and no longer am concerned about maintaining a limit.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-18, 12:34

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I followed the "moderate" protein keto thing and lost ten pounds of lean tissue that, alas, is not coming back no matter how much I work out on resistance training and eating "enough" protein now (due to age, post-menopausal where gaining muscle mass is so much less feasible due to hormonal changes). Wish I'd known earlier not to restrict protein and maybe the muscle loss might not have happened. Dr. Jason Fung has a lot of great information I highly recommend reading, but when DH and I tried multi-day fasting for weight loss, that's when much of the muscle loss occurred. Pretty quickly. So to be aware, YMMV. Now I've moved away from more "moderate" protein recommendations from some of the well known low carb doctors who recommend restricting protein on keto (that I should be eating maybe 70 or 60 or even less grams protein per day for my lean body mass) to now thinking of "enough" for me being minimum 40 grams or more per meal three times daily to stimulate muscle building/repair to avoid sarcopenia. A younger person eat less, maybe 30 grams per meal, to kick in the muscle growth response, but for me that's in the rear view mirror and Dr. Lyon says we get more resistant as we age and require more protein to get the same benefit. Not taking any chances now with losing more muscle mass due to diet. As far as ketosis goes, I don't know if I'm producing them at this protein level or not. Regardless I'm not gaining back weight even on large amounts of current carnivore diet, and I'm more concerned about these other things at this point.