Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-18, 18:54

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
The dirty secret of vegans is that they do eat meat. They just keep it a secret.

I'm with you on that for sure. But this guy, he's lying right to our faces like this:
Quote:
“I don’t eat meat, but I don’t consider myself a vegetarian [because in fact I eat meat, see below],” Mr. McKelvey said.
In time, he said, the company will evaluate its consumption of seafood (that's meat, it sure ain't veggies), eggs (that's meat, it sure ain't veggies), dairy (that's meat too, cuz the cows eventually go to slaughter, a vegetarian argument in fact) and alcohol.

I bet he doesn't even understand he's lying, could be his ideals get in the way.

I'm not sure how I feel about what I'm about to say next. Does Marion advocate low-carb?
Quote:
“Animals have a place in the human diet,” said Marion Nestle, professor of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University. “There’s plenty of evidence that eating less meat is good for one’s health and the planet. But to abolish it completely sounds ideological.”

There is in fact exactly zero such evidence. The best evidence ever regarding meat consumption (or consumption of any food bar none - no equivalent veggie experiment for example) actually says:
Quote:
(from CLINICAL CALORIMETRY.
XLV. PROLONGED MEAT DIETS WITH A STUDY OF KIDNEY
FUNCTION AND KETOSIS.)
11. In these trained subjects, the clinical observations and
laboratory studies gave no evidence that any ill effects had
occurred from the prolonged use of the exclusive meat diet.

For the planet, we got some pretty good stuff from Alan Savory. Reforestation, increased soil quality, increased local fauna and flaura, etc. For production, increased crop yield, increased crop quality, better animal health, larger herd support per area. But of course, the bulk of meat production ain't like that. Well, how about the veggie nuts argue that instead?

This next is a bit sideways. I used to think about mono-crops, now something just occurred to me. Ima call it polar crops, i.e. either only animals or only plants. We use the land for either or, never both. Either way, the land slowly dies cuz it's missing the counterpart of a symbiotic relationship between the plants and the animals that eat them. Doesn't sound too symbiotic to get eaten, right? But in fact the plants need the animals' crap. Whatever.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-18, 22:36
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Vegetarians/Vegans have always had fascist tendencies. The whole war against arterycloggingstaturatedfat and cholesterol was just a front for the Vegetarian agenda.

So sick and tires of the advocates of this false religion trying to force everyone else into it, and force everybody else to accommodate them everywhere they go with a vegetarian and a vegan option?

Is it any surprise that Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian?

Oh, and I tried the Beyond Burger at A&W the other day, and it didn't taste anything at all like meat and was not very good. Anyone who claims they "can't even tell the difference" is a liar.

Last edited by BillyHW : Mon, Jul-30-18 at 22:43.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-18, 23:53

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
Vegetarians/Vegans have always had fascist tendencies. The whole war against arterycloggingstaturatedfat and cholesterol was just a front for the Vegetarian agenda.

So sick and tires of the advocates of this false religion trying to force everyone else into it, and force everybody else to accommodate them everywhere they go with a vegetarian and a vegan option?

Is it any surprise that Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian?

Oh, and I tried the Beyond Burger at A&W the other day, and it didn't taste anything at all like meat and was not very good. Anyone who claims they "can't even tell the difference" is a liar.

Actually, I really like the Beyond Burger. IMO it has an uncanny burger-like texture and flavor. Best meat analog I've ever had. (2nd best is the Yves Deli Slices, which mimic baloney very well.) But it won't fool you if you taste test them side by side.

Each to his own taste.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 00:23
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
Actually, I really like the Beyond Burger. IMO it has an uncanny burger-like texture and flavor. Best meat analog I've ever had. (2nd best is the Yves Deli Slices, which mimic baloney very well.) But it won't fool you if you taste test them side by side.

Each to his own taste.

Good point, I did try it side-by-side with a regular burger, so maybe that's why I found the Beyond Burger so nasty.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 05:13

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac

This next is a bit sideways. I used to think about mono-crops, now something just occurred to me. Ima call it polar crops, i.e. either only animals or only plants. We use the land for either or, never both. Either way, the land slowly dies cuz it's missing the counterpart of a symbiotic relationship between the plants and the animals that eat them. Doesn't sound too symbiotic to get eaten, right? But in fact the plants need the animals' crap. Whatever.

Working in a grocery store, one thing I often notice is that customers who are obviously eating a vegan diet are often very careful to buy organic. But in order to grow organic plants, they need to be fertilized with organic fertilizer - in other words: manure, or at least a manure derived fertilizer.

And where does that manure come from? It's produced by the animals that are grown to be harvested for their meat. (It doesn't necessarily mean the same land used for grazing should always be rotated for growing crops - some soil is so rocky that it's impossible to use it for growing crops, but it's fine for grazing. The manure gathered from the milking barn, chicken coop, and barn yard can be pitched into a manure spreader to be used on the growing fields.)

I always get the feeling that a lot of those who carefully pick only organic everything think that organic means it's pure and clean. It's not. It starts with the fact that the fertilizer used on organics isn't some pristine, clean stuff that... well, I don't know, maybe they think it falls from the sky, or is naturally produced by the soil, or other vegetation. Then again, in a way it's derived from vegetation - the vegetation that's been digested by the animals, who then pooped out the remains of that vegetation, to produce the MANURE used to fertilize organically grown food.

I suspect that if organic vegans truly understood this little detail, they'd have brain spasms trying to reconcile their need for organics with the very fact that the animals they think it's wrong for anyone to eat are the very same animals providing the vast quantities of manure needed for the fertilizer that makes it possible for them to have organic vegan food.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 06:04

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

The truth is that if you live in this world you are complicit in the killing of other creatures. Large scale agricultural production involves the clearing of fields by large machinery that kills many small creatures as it does its work. Also animal habitats are destroyed by the clearing of land to grow crops. There is no way we can escape from our involvement in the lives and deaths of other creatures. You may not be eating meat but that doesn't mean that you are not at least indirectly responsible for the killing of animals in the maintenance of your life.