Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-18, 13:00

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

My sister's lab spent a couple months with me one summer, he lost weight and had way less seizures. I pretty much fed him what I ate, plus we had a backlog of bacon grease because we'd fry up 4 plus pounds every weekend, so I'd give him a scoop of that every day as well.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-18, 19:32
Registered Member

Plan: SB Delivery now Carnivore
Stats: 265/249/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

I started a thread a while back lamenting the fact that I could feed two adults totaling 300 lbs for maybe $50-$100/month. My 80-lb german shepherd was fed raw, and that cost $50-$75/month. We took in my dad's cat, feed her grain-free canned food... and it costs us $50/month to feed a 6-lb cat! There has to be a less expensive way to do this, but I'm not sure I'm up to all the cooking. From what I've read, it's not as easy for cats as it was for dogs. For the dog, I'd hand him a chicken leg with back attached, or whatever other cheap boney meat I'd find. Occasionally feed him organ meats and cooked meat/egg scraps. Boom, done.

I feed my cat parts of whatever I'm cooking in the kitchen. He comes into the kitchen when it's near dinnertime and I just give him a plate of cut up raw meat, be it fish, chicken or beef. I also give him some cooked food at dinner if he asks for it. I do leave a bowl of dry cat food out for him, it's "Goodlife" at Wal-Mart, it's not the best but he doesn't puke it up and that's what matters the most. Also every day he gets one can of fancy feast chicken, liver or fish cat food. Never the beef (he won't eat it). I would estimate it only costs about $20 a month to feed him.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-18, 20:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 247/217/153 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Dont forget to skip a meal now and then if puggie can handle it. My rotties were never fat---otherwise they loved all kinds of vegies... dogs are omnivores , not true carnivores. My lab stole all my ripe tomatoes, and cleaned off the low hanging peaches... his choice. Omnivores.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-18, 16:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Update!
Man they sure do look better. Pancho's eyes are clear (no eye boogers like normally) and his nagging ear infection seems to be going away...

Also, they aren't constantly begging for food...they seem to be satisfied longer.

One very GOOD thing...their breath is nice, before it was horrible.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-18, 17:42

BF:

All good changes.

I have been concerned that dry dog food, or canned, lack the full compliment that our pets needs for a healthy life......Pancho is proving me right.

Glad your little ones are healthier and happier!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 12:13
To Good Health!

Plan: IF Fung/LC Westman/Primal
Stats: 222/171/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/25.3%/24%
Progress: 96%

Making your own pet food is best, and I know ABsolutely Nothing about this company, but Twitter evidently thought I should and I remembered this thread.
Their tag line sealed it...

The pet food industry is nothing but a #HouseOfCarbs.

https://ketonaturalpetfoods.com
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 12:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Making your own pet food is best, and I know ABsolutely Nothing about this company, but Twitter evidently thought I should and I remembered this thread.

Hahaha...I looked at that at the time.

A 16 lb bag is $82.00 before shipping.

yeah....
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 16:52

BF:

I have a wonderful cookbook for feeding dogs--- it includes lots of different vegetables with loads of herbs too. ANd whole meats too of course. Tomato sauce is a valuable source of vit C.

I have often talked to friends about their porky pets--- carefully to not hurt feelings, but it falls on deaf ears as no one understands the effects of carbs.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 08:57
Registered Member

BF:

Dogs are absolutely carnivores. Just because they tolerate veggies and will eat them doesn't mean they are omnivores. Really.

Vet Street

Dog Food Advisor
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 09:18

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/128/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

What I noticed first about this kibble is that the second ingredient after chicken was pea protein which is not a high quality source of protein for a dog. Here's what I feed my dog :

https://grasslandbeef.com/pet-burger

https://www.drharveys.com/products/...re-mix-for-dogs

https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/prod...ood/267000.aspx
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 09:31

BF:

My dogs choose to eat cranberries, tomatos, peaches.... stealing the peaches off the tress and stealing the ripe tomatoes off the vines.

Dogs are omnivores, not carnivores. CATs are carnivores and must eat meats ( taurine), dogs on the otherhand are onmivores like a bear.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 09:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
What I noticed first about this kibble is that the second ingredient after chicken was pea protein which is not a high quality source of protein for a dog. Here's what I feed my dog :

https://grasslandbeef.com/pet-burger

https://www.drharveys.com/products/...re-mix-for-dogs

https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/prod...ood/267000.aspx

When we butcher for our own use, the dogs get a lot of the good stuff too. Sometimes I can find chicken breasts for 75 cents a pound.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 10:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
My dogs choose to eat cranberries, tomatos, peaches.... stealing the peaches off the tress and stealing the ripe tomatoes off the vines.

Dogs are omnivores, not carnivores. CATs are carnivores and must eat meats ( taurine), dogs on the otherhand are onmivores like a bear.

It simply means you are not feeding your dogs enough. They are NOT omnivores - period. You didn't even look at my references, did you?
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 12:07

BF:

Not all references are to be beleived-- I have worked at zoos and have a BS ( lol) in ANimal Science--and once a licensed vet tech.

The first reference iists more arguments for for why a dog is an omnivore than a carnivore. ANd the fermentation argument is a no brainer. Monogastrics are not the fermentation types that ruminants are. A few animals can use fermentation. Rabbits have a large cecum and can work some fermentation. BUT monogastrics cannot handle lots of fiber and the fermentation is required to break it down into useful products. Only a small amount. A small amount compared to a ruminant. That does not deside whether or not an animal is a strict carnivore.

I had friends that raised big cats--- met them via the zoo. Those cats are a strict meat diet with added vitamin/mineral supplement. The same as we fed the baby cougars. The bears were fed a diet of both cat food and dog food and meat. ANd fruits and vegetables. Same as the raccoons.

AN my lab was FAT--not in need of more calories. He needed to be monitored to watch his weight.

ANd my sheepdog-- she ate lots of cranberries while my mother and I picked in the bogs. She picked as much as we did. She was in great shape-- though the food fed to dogs in the 70's was pretty crappy-- but we fed what the previous owner told us to feed here-- they showed champion Old English SHeepdogs.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/cani...ores-omnivores/

Quote:
Yet dogs must also be recognized for their significant omnivorous ability. Their proven ability to digest carbohydrate-based foods has been known for many years.

After all, modern genetic research has proof that ten canine genes play key roles in starch digestion and fat metabolism.2

However, a dog still shows unmistakable evidence that its body is optimized for eating meat.

Even a recent SMithsonian article discussed the lengthening of the canine GI tract compared to his ancestors, as an adaptation to living around humans.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Jul-11-18 at 13:05.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 13:09
Registered Member

BF:

I'm sorry but I believe you are hurting your dog. Feed him MEAT and he won't be fat, just like we aren't fat when we eat meat. Believe whatever you like, of course. But the facts are backing up what I say. I don't want to argue, so I rest my case.