Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 20:54

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Zithromax Z-pac caused my DD2 at age 16 to go into kidney failure. Looking up later, that was one of the possible side effects, "acute renal failure". Thank goodness she recovered only because of a wonderful doctor and 2 weeks in the hospital, but time after time were asked if she had taken Motrin. Apparently 3/4th of the children on this floor had kidney failure due to Motrin, as per another mother.

~by the way, does everyone remember St. Joseph aspirin when you were a kid? Tylenol did a great campaign to take the market share.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Sat, May-20-17 at 21:12.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, May-22-17, 15:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

This is horrific. You take diabetes drugs to avoid such complications. I don't take anything now unless I research it online.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, May-22-17, 18:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

[QUOTE=Meme#1

~by the way, does everyone remember St. Joseph aspirin when you were a kid? Tylenol did a great campaign to take the market share.[/QUOTE]

Even after the poisoning episode, man we have short memories...
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-22-17, 18:43

BF:

What poisoning episode?
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-22-17, 19:28

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
What poisoning episode?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders
Quote:
The Chicago Tylenol murders were a series of poisoning deaths resulting from drug tampering in the Chicago metropolitan area in 1982. The victims had all taken Tylenol-branded acetaminophen capsules that had been laced with potassium cyanide.[1] A total of seven people died in the original poisonings, with several more deaths in subsequent copycat crimes.

The incidents led to reforms in the packaging of over-the-counter substances and to federal anti-tampering laws. The actions of Johnson & Johnson to reduce deaths and warn the public of poisoning risks have been widely praised as an exemplary response to such a crisis
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-22-17, 19:33

BF:

Oh yes, I remember the Tylenol poisonings now that you jog my memory but I thought she was talking about St, Joseph baby aspirin poisonings and I didn't remember that one.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, May-23-17, 06:23

BF:

I won't touch Tylenol. It doesn't do a thing for me, and the level where it becomes organ-killing toxic is razor thin.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-23-17, 07:15

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

Cipro. For uti. My friend took that several years ago and her kidneys have deteriorated and is now on a very strict diet. Docs are talking dialysis.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-23-17, 09:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I won't touch Tylenol. It doesn't do a thing for me, and the level where it becomes organ-killing toxic is razor thin.

Ditto. I won't even have Tylenol in the house.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-23-17, 12:28

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

St. Joseph aspirin is now marketed to adults as low-dose aspirin to "protect heart health". Have you ever noticed how low-dose (81 mg) aspirin costs a lot more than 1/4 of a regular 325 mg aspirin? Big Pharma always finds a way to make more bucks. Tylenol has never made a dent in any headache or joint pain I've ever had.

Last edited by deirdra : Tue, May-23-17 at 12:37.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 17:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

My guess would be Dr. Fung would dislike this drug Invokana (aka canagliflozin) less than most diabetes medications.

Why ? It doesn't raise insulin levels. Most other diabetes medications do exactly that - BOOST insulin production.

All Invokana does is make you pee out glucose (sugar).

FWIW, Invokana (canagliflozin) is just one SGLT-2 inhibitor. There are others. see the list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliflozin

I would expect this side effect (amputations) is a CLASS Effect ... where all drugs in the same category have his side effect.

Quote:
The FDA noted that results of one clinical trial showed that over the course of a year the risk of amputation in patients treated with Invokana was equivalent to 5.9 out of 1,000, compared with 2.8 out of 1,000 for patients given a placebo.

A second trial showed the risk of amputation was equivalent to 7.5 out of every 1,000 patients treated with Invokana compared with 4.2 out of every 1,000 patients given a placebo.

According to FDA logic, in study one 994/1000 didn't get an amputation and 992/1000 didn't get an amputation either. So all is well.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 06:05

BF:

Well I finally told the woman who was trying to recruit me for the diabetes research that I was not interested in participating, citing Dr. Fung's stand that giving insulin to insulin resistant people was not the right approach, so I was not interested in drug 1, and the new findings about Invokana, so was not interested in that either. Her reply:
Quote:
I appreciate you doing research as I also research the medications that I’m prescribed. Some of the info you mentioned is correct but some of it is missing very important details which could prove dangerous for some individuals. Good luck with your altered diet and I hope that you can manage your diabetes on your own. Unfortunately, once you have been diagnosed, that diagnosis is always there so no “reversing” that but many people are able to lose enough weight to be able to discontinue the need for medications. Weight loss and EXERCISE are key in that.
Hmmm, I wonder what information could be considered "dangerous" for some individuals?

Last edited by Merpig : Thu, Jun-08-17 at 06:51.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 06:17

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Ignorance abounds. Perhaps she thinks avoiding insulin for this "non-reversible" disease is potentially dangerous.

Jean
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 07:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Hmmm, I wonder what information could be considered "dangerous" for some individuals?

Sounds like she is still stuck in that "diet and exercise" mindset that is supposed to help avoid diabetes... yet so often, does not.

I've had so many medical professionals piously tell me this is a "mysterious" disease, and "always progresses" and so many people have "brittle" diabetes. And in a way, it makes sense, because that is all they have been taught, and all they see.

I once tumbled into a ring of diabetes blogs, and it just broke my heart that these people were struggling so much. Eating that recommended amount of carbs and the prescribed amount of injected insulin and not making it work.

And blaming themselves.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-17, 05:07

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...70614114238.htm

Quote:
Major study heralds new era in treatment of type 2 diabetes

This is one good thing about sciencedaily--there's no bones about the fact that they just pass on what are basically press releases by researchers--and this is the sort of headline you get when that's the case. Other sources like the Daily Mail etc. pretend to be actual online newspapers, when all they do is basically crib from the original release. Anyways, this puts a positive spin on the drug that caused those increases in amputation;

Quote:
A drug that lowers blood sugar levels for people with type 2 diabetes has also been revealed to significantly reduce the risk of both cardiovascular and kidney disease.

The study by The George Institute for Global Health has major implications for the treatment of type 2 diabetes which affects around 450 million people worldwide.

The findings published in the New England Journal of Medicine found the drug canagliflozin reduced the overall risk of cardiovascular disease by 14 per cent and reduced the risk of heart failure hospitalisation by 33 per cent. It was also shown to have a significant impact on the progression of renal disease.

Professor Bruce Neal, of The George Institute for Global Health, said the findings which were presented at the American Diabetes Association Conference in San Diego were exciting and offered real hope to people suffering from type 2 diabetes. "Coronary heart disease is the biggest killer by far for people with type 2 diabetes. Our findings suggest that not only does canagliflozin significantly reduce the risk of heart disease, it also has many other benefits too. We found it also reduced blood pressure and led to weight loss.

"Type 2 diabetes is growing rapidly all over the world and we need drugs that not only deal with glucose levels, but that also protect the many millions of people from the very real risks of stroke and heart attack."

The study is particularly important to Australian because around 65% of all cardiovascular deaths occur in people with diabetes or pre-diabetes, and diabetes is also the leading cause of end-stage kidney disease. It also reinforces the findings from a previous study which also showed a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease associated with blood sugar level lowering drugs.

Co-author Professor Vlado Perkovic, Executive Director of The George Institute Australia, said: "Both patients and physicians should be tremendously reassured by the results. What we have done is show that the earlier results were not just a one off. This really is a game changer in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. It not only reduces the risk of heart disease, it also provides real protection against kidney decline which affects many people with diabetes."

Canagliflozin is known as a SGLT2 inhibitor and is a relatively new type of drug that works by blocking the body's reabsorption of sugar or glucose. This results in more glucose being released in urine and a drop in glucose levels. Most other diabetes drugs work by managing insulin levels.

Key findings

The risk of hospitalised heart failure fell by 33 per cent.
Patients were 40 per cent less likely to suffer serious kidney decline.
The overall risk of cardiovascular disease fell by 14 per cent.
The study of more than 10,000 patients in 30 countries also found the drug offered protection not just for people already suffering cardiovascular disease but for all type 2 diabetics.
However, patients were twice as likely to suffer from amputations.
Professor Neal said: "We don't know why there was an increased risk of amputation, and further work is needed in this area. But for now we urge caution in prescribing this drug to people at increased risk of suffering amputation."

A further study on the benefits of canagliflozin related to kidney disease will be published later this year.

The drug is likely to have a diuretic effect--glucose is diuretic, it's the hormonal response to glucose that causes water retention (thus the large water losses with uncontrolled type 1), reducing reabsorption of glucose should increase water losses.