Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 12:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default New study links protein in wheat to the inflammation of chronic health conditions

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-...on-chronic.html

Quote:
Scientists have discovered that a protein in wheat triggers the inflammation of chronic health conditions, such as multiple sclerosis, asthma and rheumatoid arthritis, and also contributes towards the development of non-coeliac gluten sensitivity.

With past studies commonly focusing on gluten and its impact on digestive health, this new research, presented at UEG Week 2016, turns the spotlight onto a different family of proteins found in wheat called amylase-trypsin inhibitors (ATIs). The study shows that the consumption of ATIs can lead to the development of inflammation in tissues beyond the gut, including the lymph nodes, kidneys, spleen and brain. Evidence suggests that ATIs can worsen the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, asthma, lupus and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, as well as inflammatory bowel disease.

ATIs make up no more than 4% of wheat proteins, but can trigger powerful immune reactions in the gut that can spread to other tissues in the body. Lead researcher, Professor Detlef Schuppan from the Johannes Gutenberg University, Germany, explains, "As well as contributing to the development of bowel-related inflammatory conditions, we believe that ATIs can promote inflammation of other immune-related chronic conditions outside of the bowel. The type of gut inflammation seen in non-coeliac gluten sensitivity differs from that caused by coeliac disease, and we do not believe that this is triggered by gluten proteins.

Instead, we demonstrated that ATIs from wheat, that are also contaminating commercial gluten, activate specific types of immune cells in the gut and other tissues, thereby potentially worsening the symptoms of pre-existing inflammatory illnesses".
Clinical studies are now due to commence to explore the role that ATIs play on chronic health conditions in more detail. "We are hoping that this research can lead us towards being able to recommend an ATI-free diet to help treat a variety of potentially serious immunological disorders" adds Professor Schuppan.

ATIs and Non-Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity
Further to inflaming chronic health conditions outside of the bowel, ATIs may contribute to the development on non-coeliac gluten sensitivity. This condition is now an accepted medical diagnosis for people who do not have coeliac disease but benefit from a gluten free diet. Intestinal symptoms, such as abdominal pain and irregular bowel movements, are frequently reported, which can make it difficult to distinguish from IBS. However, extraintestinal symptoms can assist with diagnosis, which include headaches, joint pain and eczema. These symptoms typically appear after the consumption of gluten-containing food and improve rapidly on a gluten-free diet. Yet, gluten does not appear to cause the condition.

Professor Schuppan hopes that the research will also help to redefine non-coeliac gluten sensitivity to a more appropriate term. He explains, "Rather than non-coeliac gluten sensitivity, which implies that gluten solitarily causes the inflammation, a more precise name for the disease should be considered."

More information:
Zevallos V, Weinmann-Menke J, Meineck M et al. Alpha-amylase/trypsin inhibitors (ATIs) accelerate murine systemic lupus erythematosus. Poster presentation at the 16th International Coeliac Disease Symposium, 21–24 June 2015, Prague, Czech Republic. Poster P168.
Zevallos V, Yogev N, Nikolaev A et al. Consumption of wheat alpha-amylase/trypsin inhibitors (ATIs) enhances experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in mice. Oral presentation at the 16th International Coeliac Disease Symposium, 21–24 June 2015, Prague, Czech Republic.
Junker Y, Zeissig S, Kim S-J et al. Wheat amylase trypsin inhibitors drive intestinal inflammation via activation of toll-like receptor 4. J Exp Med 2012;209(13):2395-408.
Fasano A, Sapone A, Zevallos V et al. Nonceliac gluten and wheat sensitivity. Gastroenterology 2015;148(6):1195-204.
Schuppan D, Pickert G, Ashfaq-Khan M et al. Non-celiac wheat sensitivity: Differential diagnosis, triggers and implications. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2015;29(3):469–76.

Same at: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_rele...h-nsl101016.php

Exactly what Dr. Davis has been writing writing since 2011...it is not the gluten, but the other proteins.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Oct-17-16 at 12:12.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 12:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was just thinking today how much better I'm feeling now that I've seriously cut out dairy products (other than the occasional use of butter). Wheat I solved years ago. Dairy is harder to stay away from.

I get the same sort of muscle/joint aches (and sinus issues) from dairy that I used to get from wheat.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 12:41

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I wonder what the wheat industry is going to do now, after years of telling us non-celiacs that our asthma, arthritis, gut, lymph node, kidney, spleen and brain issues are all in our heads (yet disappear when we go wheat or grain free).

MS is more prevalent in Canada yet it cannot be completely explained by fewer hours of sunshine in winter when blood levels of Vitamin D3 are taken into account. Since Wheat Belly I've wondered if the wheat that grows in our climate has different, more damaging proteins than species that grow at lower latitudes.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 16:58

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

After eliminating wheat from my diet almost 3 years ago, I find this news encouraging that the dangers of wheat can now be discussed with some proof. Here's hoping the research continues and can overcome the challenges and dismissals that the lobbyists are sure to bring.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 17:08
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
After eliminating wheat from my diet almost 3 years ago, I find this news encouraging that the dangers of wheat can now be discussed with some proof. Here's hoping the research continues and can overcome the challenges and dismissals that the lobbyists are sure to bring.

I agree. I had company from the west coast this week - some that I had not seen since before I started this WOE. They had 1001 questions. They found it almost unbelievable that I'd given up wheat and I did a fairly poor job of explaining why. I think I came across as a little paranoid. If this study gets some traction, that will help. I am, BTW, a little paranoid about wheat. Perhaps that is why I came across that way. So many issues with my health have been resolved. How many are attributable to giving up wheat? I don't know and I don't want to find out. I rather stay healthy.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 17:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

Since the first of the short type wheats were developed at the University of MN, it's likely that many of them are better suited to shorter summers. MN has been considered a wheat center since before it was a state--Pillsbury's mills and what is now General Mills (which, BTW, owns Pillsbury) were conveniently placed near St Anthony Falls on the Mississippi in Mpls.

It only made sense that such studies (with such noble hopes, and such disastrous health results) would take place at the Ag campus near there.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 03:14

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

I wonder if this is a problem with other grains as well such as rye - or is it just wheat.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 03:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Previous study by Prof. Schuppan implicated rye and barley too.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23209313
Finding zero coverage of this in popular press except a mention Mental Floss.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/8751...eat-sensitivity
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 07:59

All grains are seriously inflammatory in the body. Bintang, if you use google scholar, you can find a meta analysis of a large number of studies from disparate disciplines on the negative effects of grains. It was written around 2000, and the name of it is, roughly, Grains: Humanity's Double Edged Sword.

It's amazing reading! It was the biggest reason why, after having stopped eating grains for a week, I decided to make it permanent.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 16:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
If this study gets some traction, that will help. I am, BTW, a little paranoid about wheat. Perhaps that is why I came across that way. So many issues with my health have been resolved. How many are attributable to giving up wheat? I don't know and I don't want to find out. I rather stay healthy.

I just registered for a week-long residential program just outside of Charlottesville, VA taking place in May 2017. Attendees were required to submit an application requesting a variety of information including dietary requirements and medical questions. I indicated I ate low carb meals and specified that a portion of non-starchy vegetables or salad and a moderate portion of protein would be sufficient. I also indicated that I ate no grains, potatoes, or starch. It's always interesting to see how they'll translate these instructions. They also asked me to identify any allergies. This was my opening: "Wheat." I'm hoping they'll not interpret that as "Gluten Free." An article like this regarding the health issues of wheat will enable us to cite something we can share going forward. I think it's wise to be careful with wheat even though we are only operating on N=1 correlation and not causation. Can never be too cautious when the results are so compelling.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 18:39

It's interesting that if you tell people that eating wheat makes your joints ache (it does with mine) they get wide eyed, but they THINK about it. If you just say that you don't eat grains, they look at you like you just sprouted a second head.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 19:32

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I just don't care what people think any more. I have to eat a very restrictive diet (more restrictive than just low carb) in order to stay functional in this world so that's what I do. People may have their reasons for not wanting to accept how I eat but I figure that's their problem not mine. I never expect people to cater to my dietary needs so it really shouldn't pose a problem for anyone but me. Luckily the kind of life I lead I don't run into issues with people very often. My daughter-in-law to be told me, unprompted, that she will make sure that the place where they decided to have their wedding party next June will prepare foods that I can eat. Some people are just nice.

Jean
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 21:30

Some people are, Jean. And I agree. I don't expect others to go out of their way for me. Last Christmas Eve, I had salad, and the cheeses I brought for dinner, as my ILs were serving very sugary ham, scalloped potatoes, sweet potatoes and dinner rolls, along with cookies for dessert.

I was fine. We let them know beforehand, so they wouldn't be pissy.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 04:15

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
All grains are seriously inflammatory in the body. Bintang, if you use google scholar, you can find a meta analysis of a large number of studies from disparate disciplines on the negative effects of grains. It was written around 2000, and the name of it is, roughly, Grains: Humanity's Double Edged Sword.

It's amazing reading! It was the biggest reason why, after having stopped eating grains for a week, I decided to make it permanent.

I'm kind of disappointed because I have been assuming for a long time that rye is ok and I eat it regularly - albeit very small quantities.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 07:50

If you want grain-like without being grain, both quinoa and buckwheat are from broadleaf plants. All grains are the descendants of grass.

But, of course, both quinoa and buckwheat are pretty high carb. I'll make quinoa for Husband once in a while, and have, literally, a forkful of it. Or throw some in a soup instead of potatoes, rice or pasta.

I can eat around it, as it tends to fall to the bottom, and he can eat as much as he likes.